Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What qualifies as fast? I bet he’s faster than Mahomes.

I would be willing to bet he’s faster than Josh Allen, who just ran for a 50-yard TD earlier today (2nd longest in playoff history for a QB). 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would be willing to bet he’s faster than Josh Allen, who just ran for a 50-yard TD earlier today (2nd longest in playoff history for a QB). 

4.76 for Allen. 4.80 for Mahomes

Edited by CommandB11

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He reads slow on tape. Josh Allen had a faster 40 time than Daniel Jones but he certainly doesn't come across as faster than Daniel on tape when actually watching the games. Also straight line speed is very different than in-game speed (to me at least).

Maye is exactly what someone said, good for picking up some yards if you need a 1st but he isn't running away from anyone and was caught from behind more than I was expecting when watching back. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He reads slow on tape. Josh Allen had a faster 40 time than Daniel Jones but he certainly doesn't come across as faster than Daniel on tape when actually watching the games. Also straight line speed is very different than in-game speed (to me at least).

Maye is exactly what someone said, good for picking up some yards if you need a 1st but he isn't running away from me and was caught from behind more than I was expecting when watching. 

You work for the patriots don't you?

I'm on to you.

😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Maye is exactly what someone said, good for picking up some yards if you need a 1st but he isn't running away from anyone and was caught from behind more than I was expecting when watching back. 

I disagree.  Think he gets away from defenders plenty and his play speed is faster than both Allen and Jones.

The dude was the leading rusher on his team in 2022 lol.  I mean, come on now. 

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You work for the patriots don't you?

I'm on to you.

😁

Lol! I'll support whoever we pick. I'll even support a trade down as long as EVERYONE (GM & HC) are on the same page, have the same vision and are in full agreement. Same if they choose to stick with Sam (that wouldn't be my preference but I'll trust them to make the decision)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Lol! I'll support whoever we pick. I'll even support a trade down as long as EVERYONE (GM & HC) are on the same page, have the same vision and are in full agreement. Same if they choose to stick with Sam (that wouldn't be my preference but I'll trust them to make the decision)

Yeah, there is so much time before the draft. Senior bowl, Combine, etc. And we don’t even know who our coach is or what offense we are going to run.

And it wouldn’t be my preference but they may decide they like Penix or Bo Nix or something. Peters probably drafted the greatest 7th round QB of all time, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. And before any one says it, I’m pretty sure Trey Lance was Lynch/Shannahan.

Like you, I’ll obviously trust and support the FO’s choice.

• Like 1

Also not to change the subject but wouldn't this be a VERY weird hire for Caleb Williams? He was certainly crucial for Lamar's development but seems an odd match for Williams (unless they are sticking with Fields or just messing with everyone by bringing Roman in for an interview)

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thanks 1

My current houghts on the QBs:

Williams: sick talent who could be different than really anything the league has ever seen. To me, as long as he's not a head case, and is coachable, his FLOOR is Kyler Murray. His ceiling is maybe better than Mahomes. 

Maye: my opinion has ticked up on him. There is an awful lot to work with and he is a great prospect. His coaching and surrounding talent this year was awful. I do worry about his accuracy/ball placement on shorter out routes and swing passes, and his long hitch bringing the ball back - it's not a quick release. I don't think he's that fast, maybe 4.8. His arm is not top 10 in the league. His ceiling is Herbert but I think his floor is a lot lower, maybe more like a Jason Campbell or something. His control of the deep middle of the field is awesome.

Daniels: he's also a legit high first round prospect. His arm is nice and he is an athletic stud on the run in the open field. I agree he got clocked all the time because he jumps in the air at defenders and takes huge hits. But I think that can be coached out of him. His arm, quick release, speed and moves can't be coached. And I also worry he can't be coached into keeping his eyes down field on the run.

That's the clear 1-2-3 order for me but Daniels is not as far behind Maye as others have him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commander Adama said:

What am I missing about Drake Maye? Watching that Clemson game of his, and Clemson was not good this year, I did not see progression of reads. I saw inaccuracies. I saw one look, then run. He did not look that great to me, so what am I missing that people are seeing that he should go #2 to Washington?

You are going to grade a prospect on one game?

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Just like every scout/GM agreed Tua was better than Herbert and Young was better than Stroud lol?

There wasn't anything close to the strength of this consensus on QB2 back in 2020.  Your analogy doesn't work on the comp to Stroud and Young.  The real comparison on consensus would be Atroud vs Richardson for QB2, and even then, the consensus that Stroud should be QB2 over Richardson wasn't as strong as the consensus that Maye is QB2 in this class.

Maye is the strongest QB2 prospect since RGIII.

• Like 1

Someone in the thread asked about full field reads. I think all 3 QBs can do it and will obviously have to work on it more in the pros cause most college systems just don't ask for it a ton. None of them worked from under center either. 

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Someone in the thread asked about full field reads. I think all 3 QBs can do it and will obviously have to work on it more in the pros cause most college systems just don't ask for it a ton. None of them worked from under center either. 

I don't understand why those throws are supposed to be impressive, or what special NFL skill they are demonstrating.  It's not unique creativity or arm talent or accuracy or anticipation.  He's just making a down field throw on his hash to a wide open post from a completely clean pocket.  All he's doing is watching the deep safety and throwing away from him to one of his multiple wide open options.  On the last one he actually turned down the NFL throw to wait for the easiest throw to come open because he didn't like the window between those linebackers at the break, and the bad placement and late timing stopped his WR.  That should have hit for a TD, or at least put that deep safety in a situation where he had to make an open field tackle one on one with that slot receiver in full stride.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also not to change the subject but wouldn't this be a VERY weird hire for Caleb Williams? He was certainly crucial for Lamar's development but seems an odd match for Williams (unless they are sticking with Fields or just messing with everyone by bringing Roman in for an interview)

If they were to hire Roman, it would certainly rule out them taking Marvin Harrison Jr.

At the end of the day, I think the only way that the Bears pass on Caleb is if he forces them to do it.  Caleb has the power to push his way to DC if he wants to, but he will have to pull those strings himself.  I'd be surprised if he did.  We're not the kind of destination that a star player would make that kind of mess for, and the Bears are actually better than we are right now.