Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My first impression, a rich man's Colt McCoy?

Was thinking the same. I had to watch more Nix & Maye than any others and still have doubts about both but I do like the way Nix assumes command of the offense as he did in Oregon. He is someone I believe could win the respect and confidence of a team and lead them. But, you can't suck either :) 

I still prefer JJ by a slim margin

Nix

Daniels

Ewers (seems the most underrated to me of the bunch by a wide margin)

• Like 1

I love hearing about Daniels work ethic and intangibles. That's what pushes me towards him and away from Williams. Caleb sounds shades of Chase Young to me.

I'd also be fine trading out of the top 5 for a kings ransom, grabbing a 2nd round QB and having the ammo to go after JJ next year with a better team around him.

I'm open to a lot of the options we have and I'm excited about the potential of our new GM/HC.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

That's right. We're #3 now. That's a tough choice. 

Meant to say Daniels or Maye at 3*. I assume we will take wherever doesn’t go at 2. Although if the Cards opt to go Harrison at 2, we would get that choice at 3. 

A dream scenario would be Pats call to swap picks if Daniels or Maye are on the board. They come up to take the QB we prefer less. We swap picks, add a 2, and draft the QB we want at 4. 

1. CHI - Williams

2. ARZ - MH, Jr. 

3. Pats - Maye / Daniels

4. WSH - Daniels / Maye

We would need to bluff that pick 3 was up for trade and we like Howell and then when the Pats call we gotta ensure they’re not taking our guy. Could be a fun thing to see play out. 

Maybe the Pats just trade with ARZ at 2 ahead of the draft to have their choice. ARZ assumes we go QB and feels they can get MH at 4. But that’s predicated on assumption that Cards don’t go QB at 2. Or have a desire to. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love hearing about Daniels work ethic and intangibles. That's what pushes me towards him and away from Williams. Caleb sounds shades of Chase Young to me.

I'd also be fine trading out of the top 5 for a kings ransom, grabbing a 2nd round QB and having the ammo to go after JJ next year with a better team around him.

I'm open to a lot of the options we have and I'm excited about the potential of our new GM/HC.

With you 100%. I think having a good GM will do wonders. That’s such an underrated aspect to all of this. We’ve been so bad for so long. I assume the new GM will be an up and comer and they’ll know exactly what to do. If at 2/3 and you think Daniels or Maye are both franchise guys you make that pick. If there are doubts, you trade back for a ransome. 

With one of the hot GM and coaching names both being from the Ravens, I’d think they’d have some real insights into how close Daniels could be to Lamar and the value that provides a team. 

The alternative is the Kings random scenario. I’d just want to stay within range of a Top 3 OT or Top 3 WR in R1. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Meant to say Daniels or Maye at 3*. I assume we will take wherever doesn’t go at 2. Although if the Cards opt to go Harrison at 2, we would get that choice at 3. 

A dream scenario would be Pats call to swap picks if Daniels or Maye are on the board. They come up to take the QB we prefer less. We swap picks, add a 2, and draft the QB we want at 4. 

1. CHI - Williams

2. ARZ - MH, Jr. 

3. Pats - Maye / Daniels

4. WSH - Daniels / Maye

We would need to bluff that pick 3 was up for trade and we like Howell and then when the Pats call we gotta ensure they’re not taking our guy. Could be a fun thing to see play out. 

Maybe the Pats just trade with ARZ at 2 ahead of the draft to have their choice. ARZ assumes we go QB and feels they can get MH at 4. But that’s predicated on assumption that Cards don’t go QB at 2. Or have a desire to. 

With you 100%. I think having a good GM will do wonders. That’s such an underrated aspect to all of this. We’ve been so bad for so long. I assume the new GM will be an up and comer and they’ll know exactly what to do. If at 2/3 and you think Daniels or Maye are both franchise guys you make that pick. If there are doubts, you trade back for a ransome. 

With one of the hot GM and coaching names both being from the Ravens, I’d think they’d have some real insights into how close Daniels could be to Lamar and the value that provides a team. 

The alternative is the Kings random scenario. I’d just want to stay within range of a Top 3 OT or Top 3 WR in R1. 

I think there might be some decent options at OL in FA and a new OL coach is going to do wonders, along with an OC who isn't full throttle frittata.

Say we move back to 8 or 9 and draft Bowers and Leggette and pick up another day 2 pick and a first next year and still come away with 2 OTs and an IOL, along with Nix or JJ.

We will be better next year, no doubt. There are so many options and it's exciting. Your head must be exploding, because this offseason is built just for you.  :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your head must be exploding, because this offseason is built just for you.  :ols:

This off season is going to be the super bowls of super bowls for me haha. 

There are so many paths to take. And if we get to #2, it may guarantee a QB. But if we took the trade down path it would be chaos. 

Imagine picking 2 and trading with NE for 4, 36 and a future 1st. Make the trade not knowing what’s gonna happen. If Daniels falls to 4 you take him. If not, you trade back again or take Fashanu or Harrison, Jr. If you trade Allen for a 2nd, you could pick 4, 34, 36, 42, 50 (if we traded Allen to Houston, as an example). That would be insanity. And imagine grabbing Daniels at 4 in that scenario and still having 2/2/2/2/3/3 and a future 1st. You could package 2/2/3 to move back into the mid 1st and grab a LT if one is there. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This off season is going to be the super bowls of super bowls for me haha. 

There are so many paths to take. And if we get to #2, it may guarantee a QB. But if we took the trade down path it would be chaos. 

Imagine picking 2 and trading with NE for 4, 36 and a future 1st. Make the trade not knowing what’s gonna happen. If Daniels falls to 4 you take him. If not, you trade back again or take Fashanu or Harrison, Jr. If you trade Allen for a 2nd, you could pick 4, 34, 36, 42, 50 (if we traded Allen to Houston, as an example). That would be insanity. And imagine grabbing Daniels at 4 in that scenario and still having 2/2/2/2/3/3 and a future 1st. You could package 2/2/3 to move back into the mid 1st and grab a LT if one is there. 

If we trade Allen, I would almost rather take a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year. It’d be nice to build draft assets for 2025 too because we won’t be getting comp picks.

Assuming competent drafting by the FO, it’s also a little better to space out picks for cap reasons

On the trade up to get a tackle piece, I hear you but I would rather let the draft come to us

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Is there really a need to trade any more? The team has a ton of draft picks for 2024 and an embarrassment of cap space. 

The roster, arguably, is in worse shape than when Rivera started his four years of mediocrity.  We may need to use the first-round pick on a QB instead of providing a much-needed supporting cast for our hoped Howell.  At this point, every player that is any good should be considered tradeable.  Get a good GM and let him come up with a plan.  If a player doesn't fit the long-term plan (contract term, price, ability, fit for scheme etc.) then get as much value as possible for a retool.  Give me a Schottenheimer reboot.  Next year will suck and that's ok if we are actually building instead of what we, as fans, have suffered for the last twenty years.  I'm really pissed about the Howell implosion - finding a serviceable QB was the only positive we had for this season.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

The roster, arguably, is in worse shape than when Rivera started his four years of mediocrity.  We may need to use the first-round pick on a QB instead of providing a much-needed supporting cast for our hoped Howell.  At this point, every player that is any good should be considered tradeable.  Get a good GM and let him come up with a plan.  If a player doesn't fit the long-term plan (contract term, price, ability, fit for scheme etc.) then get as much value as possible for a retool.  Give me a Schottenheimer reboot.  Next year will suck and that's ok if we are actually building instead of what we, as fans, have suffered for the last twenty years.  I'm really pissed about the Howell implosion - finding a serviceable QB was the only positive we had for this season.  

There will come a point of diminishing returns, though. The roster, as a whole, is definitely in much worse shape than when Rivera got here. There comes a point that trading guys like Allen and Payne not only means absorbing cap hits from trading two guys relatively early in their contracts, but now you have to replace them and have less money with which to do so... not to mention all the other holes in the roster.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

There will come a point of diminishing returns, though. The roster, as a whole, is definitely in much worse shape than when Rivera got here. There comes a point that trading guys like Allen and Payne not only means absorbing cap hits from trading two guys relatively early in their contracts, but now you have to replace them and have less money with which to do so... not to mention all the other holes in the roster.

Payne’s contract isn’t really tradable, but Allen’s is. Allen is 28. Payne is 26. 

You also have depth at DT, in theory. So it makes Allen’s age+contract+position depth the one most likely to be traded. 

Id argue McLaurin should be dealt too. He’s going to be 29 in September. But if you’re going rookie QB this year you probably prioritize keeping him as a weapon. He’d probably be a trade candidate if we decided to go full rebuild around Howell for a year … focusing on QB in 2025. Because at that point Terry would be 30 with a rookie QB and a 1st rounder back this year could get you a WR replacement that would be on a rookie contract and someone you could build around for 2025 and beyond. 

A good GM will come in and have a plan.

If the plan is to strip down the defense and focus on building it in 2025 and beyond, then you can easily justify trading Allen. If the plan is to build around a rookie QB, you could argue for trading or keeping Terry either way. But if the plan is to strip down completely, load up on picks, start building the team from scratch, and focusing on 2025-2026 as the take off years, both Allen and McLaurin should be traded. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Hope it's the Raven Tree, like the big TE's, solid D, OL.

one of these would do….

• Hayden Hurst | Round 1, Pick 25
    TE, South Carolina
  • Lamar Jackson | Round 1, Pick 32
    QB, Louisville
  • Orlando Brown Jr. | Round 3, Pick 83
    T, Oklahoma
  • Mark Andrews | Round 3, Pick 86
    TE, Oklahoma
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Is there really a need to trade any more? The team has a ton of draft picks for 2024 and an embarrassment of cap space. 

Can always accrue more assets. 

Greed is good.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Payne’s contract isn’t really tradable, but Allen’s is. Allen is 28. Payne is 26. 

You also have depth at DT, in theory. So it makes Allen’s age+contract+position depth the one most likely to be traded. 

Id argue McLaurin should be dealt too. He’s going to be 29 in September. But if you’re going rookie QB this year you probably prioritize keeping him as a weapon. He’d probably be a trade candidate if we decided to go full rebuild around Howell for a year … focusing on QB in 2025. Because at that point Terry would be 30 with a rookie QB and a 1st rounder back this year could get you a WR replacement that would be on a rookie contract and someone you could build around for 2025 and beyond. 

If the plan is to strip down the defense and focus on building it in 2025 and beyond, then you can easily justify trading Allen. If the plan is to build around a rookie QB, you could argue for trading or keeping Terry either way. But if the plan is to strip down completely, load up on picks, start building the team from scratch, and focusing on 2025-2026 as the take off years, both Allen and McLaurin should be traded. 

Gotta keep Terry. Need a weapon for the rookie QB to throw to. Remember when we drafted RG3 we signed Garcon as well. You dont wanna stick your young QB with no reliable weapons to throw to.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Can always accrue more assets. 

Greed is good.

Gotta keep Terry. Need a weapon for the rookie QB to throw to. Remember when we drafted RG3 we signed Garcon as well. You dont wanna stick your young QB with no reliable weapons to throw to.

Was thinking … if you could get a 1st for Terry, you could use either that or a R2 pick on a WR to grow with the rookie QB. And then bring in a FA veteran to give them a reliable outlet. As well as a veteran TE. But it might just be easier to keep Terry. 

Heres a pretty good vid of Colt McCoy breaking down Drake Maye. His arm strength across the field from far college hashes is quite impressive. I havent really dug into Maye yet. Just starting now. Will save my own opinion until then. But from what I have seen I can see why some have him as their number one qb this year. Prototypical size, great arm and accuracy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just looked at Payne's contract at OvertheCap and I agree it would be hard to trade him.  Essentially trading him would give us a deadcap hit of 22 million and the team trading for him wouldn't even be getting great value themselves as they would have a cap hit of around 60 million over 3 seasons.   Payne is a good player, but I still believe resigning him on the contract he got was the wrong move.

14 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I just looked at Payne's contract at OvertheCap and I agree it would be hard to trade him.  Essentially trading him would give us a deadcap hit of 22 million and the team trading for him wouldn't even be getting great value themselves as they would have a cap hit of around 60 million over 3 seasons.   Payne is a good player, but I still believe resigning him on the contract he got was the wrong move.

I disagree, for a complete rebuild with a load of cap space he is very tradable for valuable picks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Heres a pretty good vid of Colt McCoy breaking down Drake Maye. His arm strength across the field from far college hashes is quite impressive. I havent really dug into Maye yet. Just starting now. Will save my own opinion until then. But from what I have seen I can see why some have him as their number one qb this year. Prototypical size, great arm and accuracy. 

Biggest issue in articles I have read with Maye and Howell is both had the same problem.  That is holding onto the ball too long and is slow in progressions, reading coverages and when he gets out of the pocket his accuracy drops off.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Biggest issue in articles I have read with Maye and Howell is both had the same problem.  That is holding onto the ball too long and is slow in progressions, reading coverages and when he gets out of the pocket his accuracy drops off.  

Maye is deadly rolling left so far from what I have watched. Like maybe one of the best rolling to the left I have ever seen from a right hander. The biggest issues I have seen so far is footwork and like you progressions. But those are both coachable. Still have a couple of more games to watch yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Maye is deadly rolling left so far from what I have watched. Like maybe one of the best rolling to the left I have ever seen from a right hander. The biggest issues I have seen so far is footwork and like you progressions. But those are both coachable. Still have a couple of more games to watch yet.

A QB that is somewhat under the radar that I like a lot and wouldn't be upset if we spent a 4th on him is Pratt from Tulane.  

• Like 2