Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I follow Clemson as one of my ACC teams and have watched an enormous amount of DJ games.  No thanks on him.  He's slow and can't read the field.  He also can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Cade Klubnik sucks too.

I think it's more Clemson then the Qb's. I thought the same thing then Klubnik sucked.  There a problem with there coaching of Qb I want to see how Dj does this year.

24 minutes ago, longestlurker said:

To go Qb this draft would be setting him up for failure, the cupboard is too bare right now. This draft could give us an opportunity akin to the Dallas offensive line rebuild. 

I’m of two minds here.

The first agrees.

The second says: Treat this like an expansion team and then QB looks more conducive. 

I don’t think I can offer a full take on draft until FA/season has concluded, to be honest. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think it's more Clemson then the Qb's. I thought the same thing then Klubnik sucked.  There a problem with there coaching of Qb I want to see how Dj does this year.

Trevor Lawrence and DeShaun Watson were both pretty good.  Dabo is also ultra patient and loyal with his QBs.  DJ was playing like crap in 22 and Dabo just wouldn't bench him even though the playoffs were within reach for most of the year.  He did the same thing with Kelly Bryant too and almost lost his shot at a championship until he finally had no choice but to play Lawrence full time.

I don't think DJ is anything other than a massive recruiting bust.  Guys who have his significant issues with reading the field, figuring out where the ball is supposed to go, and throwing accurate passes don't typically develop into viable NFL prospects, and Clemson wasn't exactly a bad situation when he was there.  He's always going to get looks because of the size and unbelievable arm strength, but you just can't play QB at an NFL level if you have no accuracy or vision.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

My biggest concern with Daniels is just a lack of size. 

He is plenty tall. I've read he put on 10-15 pounds of muscle while at LSU. The with an nfl diet and lifting regimen I'm sure he could put on another 10 lbs fairly quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He is plenty tall. I've read he put on 10-15 pounds of muscle while at LSU. The with an nfl diet and lifting regimen I'm sure he could put on another 10 lbs fairly quickly.

Thanks and yes I've should considered he can get bigger :) I do like Daniels a lot - in fact, for me he is #2. I've not really scrutinized him but am impressed with what I see and especially that he came into the season wanting to get better and he put the time and effort in to do just that. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’m of two minds here.

The first agrees.

The second says: Treat this like an expansion team and then QB looks more conducive. 

I don’t think I can offer a full take on draft until FA/season has concluded, to be honest. 

I think the biggest factor for me is where we end up picking.

If we can get 2/3 and we also like 2/3 of the upcoming QBs, I like going QB because you can build your offseason around it.

If we pick 4 or below, sure you could still get a QB, but you are taking a risk building your FA period around the idea. You kinda gotta take a more open approach to hedge your bets.

Rough situation until we know how the year pans out. We could end up picking 6th for all we know. 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I think the biggest factor for me is where we end up picking.

If we can get 2/3 and we also like 2/3 of the upcoming QBs, I like going QB because you can build your offseason around it.

If we pick 4 or below, sure you could still get a QB, but you are taking a risk building your FA period around the idea. You kinda gotta take a more open approach to hedge your bets.

Rough situation until we know how the year pans out. We could end up picking 6th for all we know. 

Good point. I would think we'd go into FA with a good feel for what we are going to do based on the pick. 

QB may be on the board, but it may also be in a way that doesn't mean Top 3 pick. If this FO only likes Maye, but doesn't want to trade up to get him, then maybe you leverage the pick, trade down, and use some of that added capital to move back up for a Penix or Nix. That person would come in and compete with Howell, presumably. 

If you go into the off-season knowing that's your approach, then maybe you are less aggressive on the OL knowing you are going to hit OT with the 1st pick. 

Or maybe you sit at #3 and you know you're going to draft Maye or Daniels. In that case, the FA cycle should focus on getting one or two starting-caliber OL, knowing you'll be double-dipping on OL in R2 and R3, but may lack the ability to get a true blue-chipper at OT and hope to build the unit's strength across the board with 3-4 new starters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Good point. I would think we'd go into FA with a good feel for what we are going to do based on the pick. 

QB may be on the board, but it may also be in a way that doesn't mean Top 3 pick. If this FO only likes Maye, but doesn't want to trade up to get him, then maybe you leverage the pick, trade down, and use some of that added capital to move back up for a Penix or Nix. That person would come in and compete with Howell, presumably. 

If you go into the off-season knowing that's your approach, then maybe you are less aggressive on the OL knowing you are going to hit OT with the 1st pick. 

Or maybe you sit at #3 and you know you're going to draft Maye or Daniels. In that case, the FA cycle should focus on getting one or two starting-caliber OL, knowing you'll be double-dipping on OL in R2 and R3, but may lack the ability to get a true blue-chipper at OT and hope to build the unit's strength across the board with 3-4 new starters.

Sounds like a good plan. 

I have concerns with the FA part. There will not be a great deal of starting caliber OL available and there will be a lot of competition for them. That means more money to sign meh players. I hope they can at least bring on in but would focus on the draft for the deep OL class and hit on defense hard in FA. 

I don't see this years FA's to be overly interested on Washington as they know we will be in a rebuild mode, especially the first and most important wave of FA's. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Trevor Lawrence and DeShaun Watson were both pretty good.  Dabo is also ultra patient and loyal with his QBs.  DJ was playing like crap in 22 and Dabo just wouldn't bench him even though the playoffs were within reach for most of the year.  He did the same thing with Kelly Bryant too and almost lost his shot at a championship until he finally had no choice but to play Lawrence full time.

I don't think DJ is anything other than a massive recruiting bust.  Guys who have his significant issues with reading the field, figuring out where the ball is supposed to go, and throwing accurate passes don't typically develop into viable NFL prospects, and Clemson wasn't exactly a bad situation when he was there.  He's always going to get looks because of the size and unbelievable arm strength, but you just can't play QB at an NFL level if you have no accuracy or vision.

I would agree with you except Klubnik looks like a bust. There something going on with the coaching down there. Lawrence would have been good to go at any of the colleges he would have gone to. He did a good job with Watson. 

Dj did well at OSU last year. I have no idea how he will do in NFL. Alot of the problem you were stating I am sure are there. He has a chance to set himself like Dainels did this year. If he plays well this year you will hear his name in NFL draft circles next year.

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Sounds like a good plan. 

I have concerns with the FA part. There will not be a great deal of starting caliber OL available and there will be a lot of competition for them. That means more money to sign meh players. I hope they can at least bring on in but would focus on the draft for the deep OL class and hit on defense hard in FA. 

I don't see this years FA's to be overly interested on Washington as they know we will be in a rebuild mode, especially the first and most important wave of FA's. 

Also a good point. That's why I think the plan to address the OL should be done primarily in the draft. That said, there are plenty of "under the radar" free agent options that we could bring in to compete. Maybe no pro-bowl caliber players, but solid starters that will on a whole upgrade the OL. Basically a more sound and effective version of what we did with Wylie and Gates last year. Hopefully a new FO will be able to find the right pieces.

And whether we go into the draft cycle planning to use the top pick on a QB, we still have the pair of 2's to do some damage on the OL. I would almost expect those two picks to be earmarked for OL if we go QB in the 1st. Pass on the defensive infusion until later in the draft and in 2025. If we are drafting a QB in the Top 3 we are going to have to ensure that QB is fully supported, so I would think the rest of the first 3 rounds would more or less be on the offensive side of the ball.

I think we'd all rather have a young QB and OL to build around at the expense of our defense. I'd rather develop the offense in 2024 and give up 30+ points per game, rather than try and build the defense and hope that whoever we throw back there at QB can survive another year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

What are the building blocks for a young QB? TE, OT, Center? We have solid WRs but need another option there too. Just go all-in on the offense early. 

image.png.4d30cc50d8c35356a75bd8bba67e8bfe.png

I think offense is the talent early in this draft anyways. Have not really been excited about too many defensive players to take early. A couple of Edge and Corner guys. But thats about it. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I think offense is the talent early in this draft anyways. Have not really been excited about too many defensive players to take early. A couple of Edge and Corner guys. But thats about it. 

We have 6 picks in the Top 100. 5 of those, if not all 6, could be justifiable on offense. Maybe we don't need a Guard because we signed a LG in FA. But even if we did, that Rutledge pick could just as easily be another OT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Sounds like a good plan. 

I think we have to start to rebuild the D in free agency. We need a couple of DB’s. Hopefully with a degree of intelligence to remember their assignments. Then I’d be adding a couple of LBs, or even one LB and one Edge, depending on what scheme we intend to run. Either way, I’d be going the veteran route on D with players coming off their rookie contracts ideally.

Opening the draft up to attack the offensive side of the ball. 

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We have 6 picks in the Top 100. 5 of those, if not all 6, could be justifiable on offense. Maybe we don't need a Guard because we signed a LG in FA. But even if we did, that Rutledge pick could just as easily be another OT.

I agree. Load up on quality prospects on offense early.

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also a good point. That's why I think the plan to address the OL should be done primarily in the draft. That said, there are plenty of "under the radar" free agent options that we could bring in to compete. Maybe no pro-bowl caliber players, but solid starters that will on a whole upgrade the OL. Basically a more sound and effective version of what we did with Wylie and Gates last year. Hopefully a new FO will be able to find the right pieces.

And whether we go into the draft cycle planning to use the top pick on a QB, we still have the pair of 2's to do some damage on the OL. I would almost expect those two picks to be earmarked for OL if we go QB in the 1st. Pass on the defensive infusion until later in the draft and in 2025. If we are drafting a QB in the Top 3 we are going to have to ensure that QB is fully supported, so I would think the rest of the first 3 rounds would more or less be on the offensive side of the ball.

I think we'd all rather have a young QB and OL to build around at the expense of our defense. I'd rather develop the offense in 2024 and give up 30+ points per game, rather than try and build the defense and hope that whoever we throw back there at QB can survive another year.

Yeah we are already used to giving up 30 points a game, I say focus all money and early draft capital on offense and just try to outscore the other team every week. This d can't get much worse and if we bring in young cheap late rounders on d at least they will be hungry

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Yeah we are already used to giving up 30 points a game, I say focus all money and early draft capital on offense and just try to outscore the other team every week. This d can't get much worse and if we bring in young cheap late rounders on d at least they will be hungry

This is my thinking too. No matter what the record is, if we can get to a top 12 offense based on DVOA, next season is a success. We can focus on shoring up the D in 25 and 26

• Like 1