Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Marvin isn’t the best WR in the draft. It’s Naberd. Marvin is good and runs great routes but is getting a lot more hype due to who his dad is. 

Nabers is nice but Harrison gives us a size component that we're severely lacking on top of being great at everything else.

Speaking of WRs.....Malik Washington WR from UVA has been a human highlight reel this season.  I've got to watch him a lot this year since I'm a Wahoo fan and this dude has literally carried that offense.  Sharp route running, sure hands and pure speed. The only caveat is his size, I believe he's around 5'9" so that's probably going to drop him down but if hes there in the later rounds,  I would love to see us take in the 6th or 7th........Maybe some of you draft/film gurus can take a look and see what you think

Edited by DazedSkinsfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Marvin isn’t the best WR in the draft. It’s Naberd. Marvin is good and runs great routes but is getting a lot more hype due to who his dad is. 

Bold statement. I like it. I'm liking what I see from Texas WR Adonai Mitchell personally. 

33 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Speaking of WRs.....Malik Washington WR from UVA has been a human highlight reel this season.  I've got to watch him a lot this year since I'm a Wahoo fan and this dude has literally carried that offense.  Sharp route running, sure hands and pure speed. The only caveat is his size, I believe he's around 5'9" so that's probably going to drop him down but if hes there in the later rounds,  I would love to see us take in the 6th or 7th........Maybe some of you draft/film gurus can take a look and see what you think

Great hands. Like him a lot. Should test well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You can find every position later.

WR is a prime position in today's NFL. Third most important on offense and fourth most overall(QB/LT/Edge). The best offenses all have multiple weapons at WR with the exception of the Chiefs(because of Mahomes, but they also have the GOAT TE)and maybe the Ravens(although OBJ is starting to get back to form and Flowers looks real good).

Harrison is a stone cold stud. Dude looks like Larry Fitzgerald. Just a guaranteed star.

We just gave Terry a new contract and drafted Dotson in the 1st round. 

Drafting Harrison, Jr feels like drafting Young when we already had Sweat all over again.

We got bigger problems even if you're right.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I've only watched Fashanu and Alt so far.  I like but don't love Fashanu.  His tools are outstanding, great length, explosiveness looks really good.  Balance seems pretty good too, seems to be able to bench rushers and sit down on them pretty well.  Reach blocks look pretty good.  But he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't feel as clean as the top OT prospects from some recent classes.  I can see the top ten potential with him though.

TBH I haven't liked what I've seen from Alt at all.  On the positive side, he's a good run blocker.  He runs and pulls well, though I think he gets a little deep on pulls because of how much space he takes up with a big and wide stride.  He's accurate and has good straight line speed.  But the explosiveness is lacking, and I think the power, length, flexibility, and balance are really lacking.  His anchor isn't good IMO, and he gives up a ton of depth to power rushes because he just can't sit down on rushers.  He leans on them for dear life.  He's got such a wide base that all of that depth really squeezes the pocket for his QB.  Some of the reps in the Louisville game are really troubling to me.  A top ten OT just shouldn't be getting big boyed and ending up on the ground multiple times by #95 and #15.  They aren't that good or dominant, and it speaks to power/balance issues.

Alt has clear NFL comparisons, but they are guys like Blake Freeland and Mike McGlinchey.  He'll probably be a first round pick, but it'll be in the 20s.  His arm length measurement and 40 are going to be key for his stock.  He needs to run sub 5 seconds to make the case he's another Kolton Miller in order to go high, because I'm betting that arm length measurement is going to be short.

I like Alt. But I like Latham better. Yes he is a RT. Big deal. He has pro bowler written all over him. He is massive, fast and explosive. He has allowed ONE sack in 3 seasons playing in a very good pass rushing division. He might be the best OL in this upcoming draft in my opinion. And being a RT is gonna make him fall down the board a little bit. We need to fix both. And Leno is starting to show his age. But i wouldnt hate Latham at 7 if that where we end up. And give Leno one more season. 

9 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Yes! And even if Fuaga is never moved to LT, he can still be the starting RT for the next decade and head to pro bowls just like Wirfs began

That would allow Cosmi to stay inside where he has thrived

I like Fuaga too. Bit again I like Latham more. Much more in all honesty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nabers is nice but Harrison gives us a size component that we're severely lacking on top of being great at everything else.

Right now I would give Nabers the edge as well. Harrison has his big test this weekend. He will be tested by good coaching and top talent. Big 10 only gives you that matchup a couple times a season. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We just gave Terry a new contract and drafted Dotson in the 1st round. 

Drafting Harrison, Jr feels like drafting Young when we already had Sweat all over again.

We got bigger problems even if you're right.

Dotson is a #3 slot WR at best in this league. He's a non factor most of the time. 

McLaurin is a good player but doesn't take over games.

You add Harrison jr to those two and you got a LEGIT WR trio that can compete for best in the league by 2025.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dotson is a #3 slot WR at best in this league. He's a non factor most of the time. 

You add Harrison jr to those two and you got a LEGIT WR trio that can compete for best in the league by 2025.

Then trade McLaurin.

You can't overload your resources into one position group. It's just a stupid way to try to build a team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Howell is already leading the league in passing and still losing.

I don't agree with writing of Dotson as a #3 already without someone else given a chance to develop him, he was a 1st round prospect for a reason.

Making our case our passing game needs to be even better to win is ignoring the neglect other parts of the roster have experienced holding back what we are getting right.

If we draft skill position high I hope we get a TE instead, that will help everyone way more then another WR after we just drafted one. Security blanket, blocking, red zone target, helping open up for WR's we already have.

Let's say we draft Harrison, trade Terry, and let Samuels walk.  Thats an extremely young WR core that's proven nothing but having upside.  We tried something like that already when we let Djax and Garcon go and thought Doctson would help us not miss them.

Pass.

Using the stupid mock simulators, It seems like if we trade down to 15-20 with the no. 7 pick and trade up to 15-20 with the Chicago's 2nd round pick and draft choices, we get from trading down we can get a very good Edge and a very good OT, and still have several prime draft picks left over for linebacker and a few other positions.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Then trade McLaurin.

You can't overload your resources into one position group. It's just a stupid way to try to build a team. 

We need to accumulate talent. McLaurin and Dotson are nice players but as I always say, you don't pass up a rolls royce because you own a couple toyotas.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So you're calling Terry McLaurin a "toyota" but want to keep paying him $23 mil per season?

Yeah, that's clever. 

I want a lot of weapons. I want offense. That's how you win in today's NFL. Get a QB, which we might have in Howell, and surround him with as much blue chip talent as possible.

I'm fine paying Terry a lot of money if our QB is on a rookie contract. I mean, that's kinda the point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We need to accumulate talent. McLaurin and Dotson are nice players but as I always say, you don't pass up a rolls royce because you own a couple toyotas.

This doesnt seem reasonable to me.  Dotson is on a rookie contract, and Terry still has time left on his deal.

I suppose if the price is right anyone is available, but is anyone really ponying up for either of those players cuz the only way we can throw the baby out with the bath water as you suggest here, we'd need a trade partner unless you are suggesting cutting them lol.

1 minute ago, illone said:

This doesnt seem reasonable to me.  Dotson is on a rookie contract, and Terry still has time left on his deal.

I suppose if the price is right anyone is available, but is anyone really ponying up for either of those players cuz the only way we can throw the baby out with the bath water as you suggest here, we'd need a trade partner unless you are suggesting cutting them lol.

I don't want to trade either. I want to add Harrison jr to the mix. 

I want to build an offense that can score 30+ a game and terrify opposing defenses. I want blue chip game changing talent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I want to build an offense that can score 30+ a game and terrify opposing defenses. I want blue chip game changing talent. 

Cant argue with that mindset, but I still say WR is a luxury pick.

Build the trench on both sides of the ball.

Give Sam or whatever QB we end up with next season a fighting chance to survive in the pocket.

is it too much to ask to block the Gmen once or twice a season?

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Good luck with that without a line capable of holding blocks for anything more than catch and throw quick game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Good luck with that without a line capable of holding blocks for anything more than catch and throw quick game.

We have a lot of cap room though, so I think you can adequately address multiple needs this offseason. I would love to go after Onwenu for example. The Patriots have a lot of cap space also but if they miss out on Williams and Maye, I could see them rebuilding completely after this year with a new front office.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

We have a lot of cap room though, so I think you can adequately address multiple needs this offseason. I would love to go after Onwenu for example. The Patriots have a lot of cap space also but if they miss out on Williams and Maye, I could see them rebuilding completely after this year with a new front office.

Yes, we have cap room.

Show me the FA OL that will address our OL issues and I'll buy in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes, we have cap room.

Show me the FA OL that will address our OL issues and I'll buy in.

After Onewu, the top rated OL per NFL.com (grain of salt) is Jonah Williams who is rated worse than Leno and Wylie (another very large grain of salt) by PFF.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

After Onewu, the top rated OL per NFL.com (grain of salt) is Jonah Williams who is rated worse than Leno and Wylie (another very large grain of salt) by PFF.

So we basically have one chance to sign an upgrade on the OL... and he is going to be in high demand so he'd have to actually choose to come to Commander land. It's not an impossibility... but it's not likely. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My primary FA targets would be Michael Pittman, Tee Higgins, Brian Burns, and Josh Allen

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So we basically have one chance to sign an upgrade on the OL... and he is going to be in high demand so he'd have to actually choose to come to Commander land. It's not an impossibility... but it's not likely. 

Time to unleash the secret weapon

image.thumb.png.5f88af27bf3294cf10a2c1825dfadbf7.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

My primary FA targets would be Michael Pittman, Tee Higgins, Brian Burns, and Josh Allen

I like that list. I have to look at the whole list, but this would be a tremendous haul. That would also allow us to look for OL in the draft (or trade... or drafting a blue chipper if they fall to us).

I wish there were better OL FA available.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Time to unleash the secret weapon

image.thumb.png.5f88af27bf3294cf10a2c1825dfadbf7.png

Magic Tweet:

"The Commanders have been losing games for years. It's time we stop doing that. We have to win games. And to do that, we need to field an entire roster of players. So we're going to sign some. To help the Commanders win."

• Haha 1