Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 11/10/2023 at 9:18 AM, Warhead36 said:

I think you guys are underestimating how much of a need WR actually is. 

I really want to spend one of our seconds on a WR. I was underestimating it until yesterday but especially if we wind up keeping EB which I think is a possibility. I think we should get a BIG WR. I know we won't be able to get someone like Harrison or Odunze, but the question is how good are Keon Coleman and Xavier Legette. and Brenden Rice. 

I still want a legit OT (LT) with my first pick but would think of looking at a bigger offensive weapons for Howell. That said, I also would like a speedy back to pair with BRob or serve as the main guy like dallas replaced Ezek, although BRob did a nice job serving as a pass catcher yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I like that we're using Gibson more in space now. He's actually not bad in that role and I wouldn't mind extending him if we keep using him like that. 

My point is we need a true lead back. None of the guys we have now are it. 

If Ben Johnson is the HC next year, we know he runs a fairly balanced offense and that means we will need both an improvement at RB and on the OL to do so

• Like 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

I really want to spend one of our seconds on a WR. I was underestimating it until yesterday but especially if we wind up keeping EB which I think is a possibility. I think we should get a BIG WR. I know we won't be able to get someone like Harrison or Odunze, but the question is how good are Keon Coleman and Xavier Legette. and Brenden Rice. 

I still want a legit OT (LT) with my first pick but would think of looking at a bigger offensive weapons for Howell. That said, I also would like a speedy back to pair with BRob or serve as the main guy like dallas replaced Ezek, although BRob did a nice job serving as a pass catcher yesterday. 

I’m not against it , I’m also starting to think Terry will be traded also. Good player but not ground breaking , he never comes up big in big games that brown or what even dk metcalf can do. Also never has had a 2 touchdown game since his first game ever with like 5-7 different QBs that’s ridiculous .

2 minutes ago, method man said:

My point is we need a true lead back. None of the guys we have now are it. 

If Ben Johnson is the HC next year, we know he runs a fairly balanced offense and that means we will need both an improvement at RB and on the OL to do so

Think Robinson can be

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm okay with our RBs. I wouldn't mind adding a stud to the mix, and Eugene Shen seems to value drafting RBs high if you can land a real game changer, but I think Robinson and Gibson can make a nice thunder and lightning. 

JT, Breece Hall, Walker, etc were all 2nd round RBs. Historically, the second round has been a good place to find a stud. I am wondering if the 2nd round this year has that stud. If it doesn’t, maybe we should go out and sign Zack Moss to be the lead back because he shouldn’t be expensive, he can get you a good YPC and he has home run ability as a runner. 

Brob’s lack of long speed as a runner and lack of vision hurt us as a lead back

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

JT, Breece Hall, Walker, etc were all 2nd round RBs. Historically, the second round has been a good place to find a stud. I am wondering if the 2nd round this year has that stud. If it doesn’t, maybe we should go out and sign Zack Moss to be the lead back because he shouldn’t be expensive, he can get you a good YPC and he has home run ability as a runner. 

Brob’s lack of long speed as a runner and lack of vision hurt us as a lead back

Yeah I'd be okay with a RB in the 2nd if he's a real stud. I don't know if this draft has one though. Seems like the strong points are QB, OT, and WR. Last year was a real good RB draft with Bijan and Gibbs but both went super high. 

Dallas turner / Jeremiah trotter Jr are my first picks period. We lack play makers on defense and we can use the other second on a tackle . We will not win this division consisntelt with the guys we got on defense right now . The reason Dallas and eagles have been better than us is because , they simply got better play makers . We don’t , at no point with 52 seconds left did I feel we would get a turn over or stop them . If this was Dallas or eagles u already can think parsons or sweat/reddick making a play. 

5 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Dallas turner / Jeremiah trotter Jr are my first picks period. We lack play makers on defense and we can use the other second on a tackle . We will not win this division consisntelt with the guys we got on defense right now . The reason Dallas and eagles have been better than us is because , they simply got better play makers . We don’t , at no point with 52 seconds left did I feel we would get a turn over or stop them . If this was Dallas or eagles u already can think parsons or sweat/reddick making a play. 

And if you think of Dallas and Philly and SF they have very good OL's, WR's, TE;s RB's, they can pass, run and protect the QB too. They have a better rounded team not because of LB/DE's. KC has a great Offense, very good corners and D-.line and good OL. Champs. 

9 hours ago, Silvernon said:

I figure a few OTs will go early but Bowers could be there because of the injury. I like Fuaga for this team more than others in part due to height and desire to improve RT. 

1. Bowers (TE)
  2. Coleman (WR) 
  3. Fuaga (RT)
  4. Odunze (WR)

Would not be shocked of they draft a tall receiver with the round 1 pick. Protect Sam by giving him better targets or protection. One or the other. 

I think Bowers will be there . I would rather have an OT but don't want to reach. I think the Wr are ok we can get one but not at top of need list. Bowers is interesting at 10 to 15.

Rb, Cb, and DE are also high on list.

Edited by Redskins 2021

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Coleman is my dream pick among realistic picks. It looks like he could fall to 10 ish and if we're sitting around 12 I'd definitely consider trading up to snag him.

I watching some of Coleman this weekend--just a stud. I'd love him...I'd also love an OC that get our receivers the ball.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Coleman is my dream pick among realistic picks. It looks like he could fall to 10 ish and if we're sitting around 12 I'd definitely consider trading up to snag him.

Bowers is good but my stance on TEs in round 1 is clear.

Don't they have someone in the front office now who said the tight end was one of the most undervalued positions? Maybe knowing that they go after one in the mid rounds, but who knows?

I can see need matching up with talent with either Coleman or Odunze. 

X - Coleman

Z - McLaurin

Slot - Dotson

Y - Logan / Armani or Turner

U - Bates

Rather just the one upgrade. Trying to be realistic. And I favor keeping Logan next year too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Don't they have someone in the front office now who said the tight end was one of the most undervalued positions? Maybe knowing that they go after one in the mid rounds, but who knows?

I can see need matching up with talent with either Coleman or Odunze. 

X - Coleman

Z - McLaurin

Slot - Dotson

Y - Logan / Armani or Turner

U - Bates

Rather just the one upgrade. Trying to be realistic. And I favor keeping Logan next year too.

I'm fine drafting a TE. Just not in round 1. Its omega bait. They NEVER pan out. Kyle Pitts was supposed to be god's gift to the NFL and he hasn't done jack(blah blah I know Arthur Smith, whatever if he's that good they'd find a way to have him dominate).

Now if you can get one in round 2-4 ish, yeah go for it. That's the money spot for good TEs. Even this year's crop, guys like La Porta, Mayer, Musgrave etc.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really wanted Cole Turner to be something, but he has 12 targets all year and has 1 catch in the last 5 weeks.

Yeah he's garbage. Worth a shot in the 5th round but he doesn't get open.

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I really wanted Cole Turner to be something, but he has 12 targets all year and has 1 catch in the last 5 weeks.

Yes, it is a bit disappointing. Upside is the #3. Realistically probably the 4th TE if Armani is healthy. 

I think that's where the strategy has been frustrating because it would make a lot more sense to draft an IOL or a blocking tight end at that point in the draft.

My philosophy has always been to draft a star in the first round. You have to find one. Your Watt > Kerrigan scenario.

Day 2 is for starters at key positions. 

Round 4 is for a key role player.

Round 5 and 6 is for role players. 

Round 7 throwing a dart.

Using this logic:

Forbes is your star*

Quan - starting FS/Buffalo (could be good)

Ricky - starting C in '24**

Daniels - Project LT/LG***

Henry - Development rotational DE (fine)

Rodriguez - taking over RB2 in '24 (good)

Jones Jr - situational pass rusher (good)

*Let's pretend he will redeem himself for the sake of argument

**Bad pick unless he is a very good starter. Need an instant starter if you're drafting IOL on Day 2. 

***In theory I like taking the athletic, long arm, shorter in height tackles on the line because Howell is a shorter quarterback and you have to factor that in.

Daniels is a gamble that I understand. Projects are tough and the early return was not promising. We'll know by the end of next season or early in the following if he has an NFL future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Brock Bowers vs Auburn is as good as it gets for a tight end prospect:

He's the #3 player in the class for me.

He’s kind of my Bijan of this year LOL.  Still, I think if we are in a position to draft tackle, we will.  The fact that there are so many qb needy teams will mean some good talent will fall to us

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He’s kind of my Bijan of this year LOL.  Still, I think if we are in a position to draft tackle, we will.  The fact that there are so many qb needy teams will mean some good talent will fall to us

For me, if QB is off the table, and Bowers is still on the board when we pick, he would 100% be my pick.  No one else would even tempt me.  He is so special and such a perfect fit for the team that getting him is our ideal outcome IMO.  But I think he's going to get picked in the top five.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Yes, it is a bit disappointing. Upside is the #3. Realistically probably the 4th TE if Armani is healthy. 

I think that's where the strategy has been frustrating because it would make a lot more sense to draft an IOL or a blocking tight end at that point in the draft.

My philosophy has always been to draft a star in the first round. You have to find one. Your Watt > Kerrigan scenario.

Day 2 is for starters at key positions. 

Round 4 is for a key role player.

Round 5 and 6 is for role players. 

Round 7 throwing a dart.

Using this logic:

Forbes is your star*

Quan - starting FS/Buffalo (could be good)

Ricky - starting C in '24**

Daniels - Project LT/LG***

Henry - Development rotational DE (fine)

Rodriguez - taking over RB2 in '24 (good)

Jones Jr - situational pass rusher (good)

*Let's pretend he will redeem himself for the sake of argument

**Bad pick unless he is a very good starter. Need an instant starter if you're drafting IOL on Day 2. 

***In theory I like taking the athletic, long arm, shorter in height tackles on the line because Howell is a shorter quarterback and you have to factor that in.

Daniels is a gamble that I understand. Projects are tough and the early return was not promising. We'll know by the end of next season or early in the following if he has an NFL future. 

I disagree with you regarding the 3rd round, especially the back half. It is hard to find Day 1 starters at any position there.

For interior OLs taken in the back half of day 3,

2023- Stromberg was the only guy

2022 - Dylan Parham was a Day 1 starter but he was below average, Sean Rhyan is a backup and Logan Bruss got cut before the starter of the season

2021 - Wyatt Davis is a backup, Kendrick Green got shipped out before the season for sucking, Ben Cleveland sits on the bench and Quinn Meinerz is a stud

So, you have 1 stud, 1 average starter and a bunch of backups.

I would trade that comp pick we got for Chase and use that as a means of moving up in the 1st or 2nd if there is a player the new FO wants  and needs to move up.

1 hour ago, method man said:

I disagree with you regarding the 3rd round, especially the back half. It is hard to find Day 1 starters at any position there.

For interior OLs taken in the back half of day 3,

2023- Stromberg was the only guy

2022 - Dylan Parham was a Day 1 starter but he was below average, Sean Rhyan is a backup and Logan Bruss got cut before the starter of the season

2021 - Wyatt Davis is a backup, Kendrick Green got shipped out before the season for sucking, Ben Cleveland sits on the bench and Quinn Meinerz is a stud

So, you have 1 stud, 1 average starter and a bunch of backups.

I would trade that comp pick we got for Chase and use that as a means of moving up in the 1st or 2nd if there is a player the new FO wants  and needs to move up.

The six lineman drafted in the third round of '22 before Rhyan are starting. Bruss drafted after looks like a bust and then a couple more players contributing from the early 4th and 49ers have a starter from the late 4th.

Maybe not comp 3rd late on Day 2, but 3rd Rnd seems strong for IOL. Maybe not year 1, but at least by year 2. 

Edited by Silvernon