Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

4 minutes ago, method man said:

You have a hard on for Nystrom

He represents the entire draft media created no nothing arrogant ass hat industry.  

They stole everything from Mel. 

They even picked up Mel’s goofy speech patterns. “when you have a Trent Dilfer…”. In what other context do you put “a” on front of the name of the person you’re talking about.  Mel did it, and now everybody does it.  Copycat morons.  

I really hate all of them.  Except Mel because he was revolutionary.  

Thor is the worst because he’s extra arrogant and more often wrong and doesn’t admit it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Absolute worst draft in NFL history........RR has checked out or is stealing money from Dumbass Dan to spite him. Just don't ****ing get it. We are going to get destroyed next year.

We know 23 is likely a lost year but if the worst happens, the new guys will have a high pick to get that QB.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Levis will have a redshirt year sitting behind Tannehill who they can move away from after this season with his guaranteed money being over after this season. Willis just looked really bad when he got his opportunities.

I’m glad we stayed away from Levis but the pick did make some sense for the Titans.

Fair. I missed Willis playing last year.  

And I was taking Thor’s word he was a bit to be the next Lamar Jackson.  So I figured he would be awesome.  

• Like 1

Just now, wit33 said:

Achieving competence and being a veteran has tremendous value. The guys manning these positions will suffice. 

Simply sufficing won’t take us forward to contending, that’s my concern

I understand Roullier has had injury problems, and we brought in Nick Gates. This honestly just feels a reach, and a kinda unnecessary one

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

I understand Roullier has had injury problems, and we brought in Nick Gates. This honestly just feels a reach, and a kinda unnecessary one

He was @KDawg’s favorite center in the draft. @Kdawg is an OL coach

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Champioship rosters rely heavily on sufficing or being competent at a host of positions. 

No way implying I wouldn’t have been okay with a T in round one or two. I get your point, but I like knowing veterans with know how are manning the positions you’re highlighting. 

Just now, method man said:

He was @KDawg’s favorite center in the draft. @Kdawg is an OL coach

KDawg 1000000% undoubtedly knows a ton more about such things and I respect that, my issue is less so with the player himself. I’m always loathed to be too disappointed with these guys until we see them play for a while. It’s more with Ron and Martin and the obvious deficiencies in the roster they’ve built when it stacks up against the strengths of the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles

12 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

PFF has us reaching on every single pick. I agree, man I'd love to have a competent FO for once.

Soon. Hopefully soon.

Most of the draft media wasn't high on Stromberg, including PFF.   

We talked about it on the draft thread,  It's odd because IMO and some others he does everything well.  He has high intangibles.  Good athleticsm. What's the issue?

Score wise, Stromberg for example by PFF scores were high, yet they didn't rate him on the aggregate highly.  And heck athleticsm wise, he was also highly rated.  Maybe the best athlete in this group.

He's one of the only centers (he might be the only but I got to look it up) who didn't give up a sack.

Yet for some in the draft media, they didn't think it added up.  Really bizzare.   

As for PFF and Quan Martin, IMO they missed the point.  They graded him as a corner.   But he's more than just a corner.   He has one of the best run defense scores by PFF metrics, one of the best miss tackle scores.  A good pass rating score.  But the run defense they don't value as much for CBs.   But he's really a safety.  

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 11.44.05 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think 5th and beyond are their experimental rounds - the Howell pick is the tell. If Dawand is still there at our 5th, all bets are off

1 minute ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

KDawg 1000000% undoubtedly knows a ton more about such things and I respect that, my issue is less so with the player himself. I’m always loathed to be too disappointed with these guys until we see them play for a while. It’s more with Ron and Martin and the obvious deficiencies in the roster they’ve built when it stacks up against the strengths of the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles

A big center like Stromberg will help against the interior pressure that the Eagles and Giants can bring 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Champioship rosters rely heavily on sufficing or being competent at a host of positions. 

No way implying I wouldn’t have been okay with a T in round one or two. I get your point, but I like knowing veterans with know how are manning the positions you’re highlighting. 

Thats fair, I just think this roster is loaded with folks like that hence why we are a million miles away from Championship contending.

I said it last night and perhaps I’m just sick of Ron and this middle of the road stuff, I’ve grown impatient with it and luckily I think a year from today we’ll be headed in hopefully a more exciting direction. In the meantime I’ll be backing these young guys that they bring in.

5 minutes ago, method man said:

A big center like Stromberg will help against the interior pressure that the Eagles and Giants can bring 

How does he sit on the C depth chart? Perhaps I’ve misunderstood Nick Gates is he a G?

Presuming Roullier is likely to now be let go?

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Thats fair, I just think this roster is loaded with folks like that hence why we are a million miles away from Championship contending.

I said it last night and perhaps I’m just sick of Ron and this middle of the road stuff, I’ve grown impatient with it and luckily I think a year from today we’ll be headed in hopefully a more exciting direction. In the meantime I’ll be backing these young guys that they bring in.

How does he sit on the C depth chart? Perhaps I’ve misunderstood Nick Gates is he a G?

Presuming Roullier is likely to now be let go?

Gates can play either guard or center. I personally think of him as the new Schweitzer. Primary interior backup

• Like 1

Bottom line is these guys don’t understand value but we have 3 guys with a good line of sight to being starters this year or next year

I will add that Forbes has very high Pro Bowl upside because of how the league values INTs over all else from corners

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Achieving competence and being a veteran has tremendous value. The guys manning these positions will suffice. 

This is likely overly hopeful, as they did not suffice last year. I’m not as down on the OL as many but even if our (first string when we don’t have any injuries) guys were league average, that’s not what you want. Especially in this division. 

TE is a major point of projection. If this staff is right about the potential of the young developmental guys we have cooking then we’ll be fine. They are not always right about their own roster evaluations, though. If those young guys don’t take a step forward we have perhaps the worst TE situation in the league, as Thomas is toast. His athleticism is sapped and he wasn’t amazing to begin with—he had a limited but effective skillset that now suffers, and his weaknesses are more glaring because he doesn’t offset them with the rest. 

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

All of our draft choices are currently from the 30-visit list!  Here it is:  Washington Commanders 2023 NFL Draft: Pre-draft meetings/visits tracker - Hogs Haven

Good observaton.

At guard looks like Braeden Daniels, Sidy Sow and Mafi could be in play based on that.  I like them in the order i listed.  Daniels is really smooth, good zone blocker.

Sow and Mafi are in that Avilia mode -- big dudes who likely are good gap blockers, not bad at anchoring in pass protect.

I like Zavala though a clear peg ahead of those three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He represents the entire draft media created no nothing arrogant ass hat industry.  

They stole everything from Mel. 

They even picked up Mel’s goofy speech patterns. “when you have a Trent Dilfer…”. In what other context do you put “a” on front of the name of the person you’re talking about.  Mel did it, and now everybody does it.  Copycat morons.  

I really hate all of them.  Except Mel because he was revolutionary.  

Thor is the worst because he’s extra arrogant and more often wrong and doesn’t admit it.

You’re getting less reasonable as you age, you know. TK would probably still change that name for ya if you asked nicely 

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  😢

As for tomorrow, Zavala woud be high on my list.

But it wouldn't shock me if they went RB in the 4th.  lol, i am sure Keim will tell us like the first two days what their need driven shopping list is by position.  He nailed it for both days.  day 1 it was O line or Cb.  day 2 O line or hybrid safety.  He was right in both cases.  Ron clearly working off of a need based shopping list.

Some of my favorite RBs are gone.

But some are still left like McBride -- @KDawg's guy.  Or if looking for speed -- Chase Brown, Abanikanda, Tucker, Mitchell

Evans.  Mcintosh. Vaughn.

I don't love their mindset about the draft which seems heavily driven by need. But today, both players they took were on my top 20 list of favorite players in this draft that i posted before the draft so tough for me to whine too much. :ols:

It is a BPA at position of need approach and being somewhat cognizant of the depth at certain positions (the Strommy pick being an example)