Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Detroit just built threw the draft top 4 picks were all hits. We have the picks, need to work the draft and stay away from the big ticket players.

The Lions built by trading away their star QB, accumulated a stack of draft picks and then put all of those pieces around a retread vet QB. 

We are all assuming a different approach here by going with a rookie QB.

I think with the FO and coaching staff we have pulled together we have a great opportunity to purge free agency in a more constructive way to what we have previously.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Lions built by trading away their star QB, accumulated a stack of draft picks and then put all of those pieces around a retread vet QB. 

I think with the FO and coaching staff we have pulled together we have a great opportunity to purge free agency in a more constructive way to what we have previously.

We or Some are assuming? I like Detroit's or Chicago's approach, even with a New QB per no.2 or trade down and then take one with extra picks. What does it matter? The Big F.A. from other teams at big prices can just stay there, this year no purge for me. I like the draft and a few low budget FA's. And I would not trade up to the top spot for a QB, to much of a risk for me.   How is taking a QB and loading up on big FAs a new approach anyway we been there done that too? My opinion or yours will not matter anyway it's the teams and ours are just what they are just like the. We or Some thought our Coach would be from the Lions too? 

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

We traded our 2 top pick DE's and tanked to get the picks like they did the first year. 

Edited by skinsfan66

46 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

We or Some are assuming? I like Detroit's or Chicago's approach, even with a New QB per no.2 or trade down and then take one with extra picks. What does it matter? The Big F.A. from other teams at big prices can just stay there, this year no purge for me. I like the draft and a few low budget FA's. And I would not trade up to the top spot for a QB, to much of a risk for me.   How is taking a QB and loading up on big FAs a new approach anyway we been there done that too? My opinion or yours will not matter anyway it's the teams and ours are just what they are just like the. We or Some thought our Coach would be from the Lions too? 

Some, yeah some and not ‘we’.

I'd love to have a good vet center. Connor Williams was number one on my FA wish list before he went down with the ACL in week 14. He could have anchored the OL and worked well for years to come with the young QB. There are few decent C's in FA, like Cushenberry is okay.

We could still probably sign Williams to a decent multiyear deal based on the injury and the questions of his early availability next season. 

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'd love to have a good vet center. Connor Williams was number one on my FA wish list before he went down with the ACL in week 14. He could have anchored the OL and worked well for years to come with the young QB. There are few decent C's in FA, like Cushenberry is okay.

We could still probably sign Williams to a decent multiyear deal based on the injury and the questions of his early availability next season. 

Couple of those Detroit OL are back in business now, IMO.

58 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think the Dolphins OL is fools gold and they run a much different system than we are going to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I liked Williams too before the ACL but yeah like koolblue said, we're gonna be running a completely different system so its important to get OL that fit that system.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the Dolphins OL is fools gold and they run a much different system than we are going to.

I wonder which OL are out there that can play in the Air Raid. It might rule out my guy Jonah Williams since the Lions are more of a traditional pro offense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I liked Williams too before the ACL but yeah like koolblue said, we're gonna be running a completely different system so its important to get OL that fit that system.

I wonder which OL are out there that can play in the Air Raid. It might rule out my guy Jonah Williams since the Lions are more of a traditional pro offense.

I wonder how much of a traditional Air Raid we're going to be running also. You need big OL who can live solo on an island, while also having the stamina to run up and down the field. It's a big ask and I don't think bringing in Lynn is just for good measure.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I was under the impression that Williams experience matched with his quickness would work well in the system

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Obviously comes down to cost and health (ie did surgery go well and is rehabbing progressing on schedule), but Williams could potentially be a great fit for us IMO.  If he needs time to regain his form, we have Gates/Stromberg to hold down the fort.  If it’s a 1 year deal, it buys us time to time to find a long term solution to the position (and perhaps nets us a comp pick).  If it’s a multi year deal, we can allocate draft picks elsewhere and have (likely) added a quality veteran center that should be a boon to a young qb.

Personally, I’d rather roll with Stromberg/Gates over signing a “decent” vet center.  In fact, that would be my favored philosophy for FA in general - avoid “decent” (and overpaid) FAs, and instead target high end quality players, up-and-coming young guys with potential, and 1 year prove-it types.

I think as we navigate through the player acquisition process, it's going to be difficult to know why a certain player is picked vs who everyone thinks we should go after.  As we've seen with coaching hires, they have a plan, specific fits, characteristics, loves football, etc.  Could be guys that aren't the most talented and doesn't have the best stats.

Its hard to know but will be an interesting next few months.

https://clutchpoints.com/sneaky-good-nfl-free-agents-commanders-need-to-sign

Greg Dortch, Wide Receiver

If there were an award for the most underrated receiver in the NFL, Greg Dortch would be in consideration. All the guy does is produce whenever he gets a chance.

Dortch played at least 50% of Arizona's offensive snaps in only seven of their 17 games in 2023. He caught a touchdown or racked up at least 76 yards in four of those games. In eight such games in 2022, Dortch accrued at least 50 yards five times.

Dortch has a connection with the Commanders that could link to a possible union between the two. Kliff Kingsbury was the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals from 2019-2022 and was hired as the Commanders' offensive coordinator a few weeks ago. He and Dortch crossed paths in Arizona for two seasons, meaning Kingsbury is very familiar with Dortch's game and vice versa.

Slot receivers had a huge emphasis on Kingsbury's offense during his time in the NFL and that is where Dortch specializes. Arizona drafted Rondale Moore to be their primary slot receiver, which hindered Dortch's opportunities in the desert. But when Dortch got his chances, he almost always came through.

Wide receiver isn't the most glaring need for the Commanders this offseason. Terry McLaurin is still among the best at that position in the NFL and Jahan Dotson, while his sophomore season was disappointing, has plenty of promise in his own right. Washington should be able to address needs elsewhere on their roster with most of their cap space and draft capital.

They could then pluck Dortch for cheap and still have a stellar trio of wide receivers. Dortch would be a great signing for anybody, but especially the Commanders.

Mike Gesicki, Tight End

If the Commanders want to become more dynamic in the middle of the field, Dortch is one way to go. Another would be Mike Gesicki.

Gesicki is more of a huge slot receiver than a tight end who could fill the role that Zach Ertz held in Arizona during Kingsbury's tenure there. In 2021, Ertz ranked seventh among tight ends in slot snaps with 248 of them. In 2022, his 232 slot snaps ranked fourth at the position. Ertz ranked that highly in slot snaps despite playing only 11 games in 2021 and 10 games in 2022.

If head coach Dan Quinn and Kingsbury want a tight end who can play a lot in the slot, Gesicki might be their man. He played 314 snaps from the slot in 2023, which ranked eighth at the position. He didn't play a lot at all in the lone season in Miami he spent with head coach Mike McDaniel, but before that, he was featured as a big slot tight end.

His 412 slot snaps in 2021 was first among tight ends. In 2020, he was second at the position with 298 of them. In 2019, his 222 slot snaps were third at the position.

Mike Gesicki is among the most athletic tight ends in the NFL. He provides much more versatility as a receiver at that position than Logan Thomas, who the Commanders could cut and save money this offseason. Gesicki's playing time and production have dropped precipitously the last few seasons, but he hasn't been in offenses that fit his skillset all that well.

He could be a great fit in Washington. He'd be a nice value signing for the Commanders this offseason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Obviously comes down to cost and health (ie did surgery go well and is rehabbing progressing on schedule), but Williams could potentially be a great fit for us IMO.  If he needs time to regain his form, we have Gates/Stromberg to hold down the fort.  If it’s a 1 year deal, it buys us time to time to find a long term solution to the position (and perhaps nets us a comp pick).  If it’s a multi year deal, we can allocate draft picks elsewhere and have (likely) added a quality veteran center that should be a boon to a young qb.

Personally, I’d rather roll with Stromberg/Gates over signing a “decent” vet center.  In fact, that would be my favored philosophy for FA in general - avoid “decent” (and overpaid) FAs, and instead target high end quality players, up-and-coming young guys with potential, and 1 year prove-it types.

I don't have much faith in Gates at C based on what I saw last year.  Granted the injury is a tick but Williams was rated extremely high among Centers so I find him better than "decent". He would be a great get if they could sign him to a decent multiyear deal.  There really aren't any other good Centers available, only a couple "decent" ones like Cushenberry or Baidasz. 

If we couldn't land him we might be forced to draft by position...need of C...which I'd rather not be in that position even though there are a couple of players I like for the position. 

Edited by DWinzit

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't have much faith in Gates at C based on what I saw last year.  Granted the injury is a tick but Williams was rated extremely high among Centers so I find him better than "decent". He would be a great get if they could sign him to a decent multiyear deal.  There really aren't any other good Centers available, only a couple "decent" ones like Cushenberry or Baidasz. 

Yeah, my “decent” comment was in regards to guys like Cushenberry, not Williams.  I don’t have faith in Gates either, but as a stopgap for a short time until Williams is healthy, I’m fine with that… though I’d much rather Stromberg take that job over Gates.  Of course, I don’t know how Stromberg/Gates/any of the “decent” guys (or even Williams) might fit into whatever scheme we run, so that could change things obviously.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Need to get this free agency show on the road. Currently, we have too many holes. I am unable to fill them all when I do my mock draft simulations.

Easy fix - just trade down a bunch to a add a few dozen rooks.

Seriously though, I’m with you.  Just hope we don’t go after the Nick Gates/Jon Bostic’s of the world in an effort to fill out the roster with stopgaps - the journeyman vets that have shown to be sub-average.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:24 PM, Est.1974 said:

Jayron Kearse (3 seasons with DAL) An up-and-down 2023 season makes the Jayron Kearse free agency interesting going into the offseason, especially considering that the front office extended both Donovan Wilson and Malik Hooker before the season. With a few intriguing safety options in the first two rounds of the draft, could the Cowboys look to bring in a replacement for Kearse at a cheaper price? Or do they bring him back to provide reliability in 2024? Another potential factor in his free agency would be a potential Dan Quinn exit.

Specifically mentioned by Whitt today….

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the next move is their CB getting a 100mil deal.

Not sure it's $100 mil but something like Spotrac's estimated value.  I was hoping maybe we would get a crack at him.

image.thumb.png.f74199436ce7f9598031bc313df25d64.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

And by hiring a new coach who completely changed the culture but your points are certainly valid. I only bring this up because I think Quinn is a huge part of our being successful moving forward. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Detroit just built threw the draft top 4 picks were all hits. We have the picks, need to work the draft and stay away from the big ticket players.

We can't build like Detroit. We can't build like SF. We can't build like KC. You have to build your way. No one way works every time or everyone would do it. You can learn certain thing that work but there is no exact blueprint. 

• Like 3