Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Can we please stop the Lamar talk.  We just paid Payne 90M guaranteed.  We have no money for Lamar.  I swear some fans think football teams can spend whatever they want like baseball.  Look at what's happening in Philly, they are losing players left and right to afford Hurts (i.e. Hurts is better than Lamar).  

Have you ever seen wild and ridiculous arguments stopped by pleas for sanity?

We're extremeskins, which includes most of us being extremely wrong at times. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This be a disappoint. Take LBer seriously. They've been throwing clown shoes at the position for years and it doesn't make any sense to me. 

The Danzler signing is great. He had a lot of fans during that draft.

Maybe LB in the draft now? They can really go BPA at this point. The OL being solidified. Barton is still young as well. And he will be able to learn from a pretty good LB coach. Did wonders for Cole IMO. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leno - Wylie - Lucas - Charles - DRAFT PICK?

You aren't keeping 5 tackles. Even if 2 of them can also play Guard. But I guess we'll see. 

Usually you keep 9, maybe 10 OL. If we draft 1-2, some guys are gonna need to go. 

I think it's possible to keep 5 players who are able to play tackle, especially considering the number of guys we have with positional flexibility.  And can we trust Charles to play tackle?    We would also have 5+ guys who could play guard with the following depth chart:

Leno.     Lucas

Norwell.   Paul

Gates.   Draft.    Larsen PUP

Cosmi.   Charles

Wylie.    Draft

I think gates will probably be listed at guard post draft, but I think the main reason they prioritized gates is because he gives us peace of mind at center, even if he ends up playing more at guard.  Knowing we have him in tow could allow us to be patient with roullier to see if he regains his form/maybe reworks his contract a bit.  It also allows us to not feel forced into a day 2 reach for a center.  Even if they retain roullier and draft a center, that would kick gates to guard, and I think I'd rather cut bait with norwell than Lucas.

But regardless, I'd rather keep Lucas in the fold and see how everything shakes out with the draft.  Also, if you go into training camp with 10, odds are pretty good one of them will be banged up by the opener unfortunately.  I don't want to be relying on the David Sharpe's and Geron Christians of the world by October.

All in all, I was on the same page with you and your posts about approaching oline with value signings, and we did a good job of that today, so I am very excited to the progress we have made already.  Hoping for a couple premium draft picks to help solidify the group.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lost Edwards, drafted Dean. Lost Hargraves, drafted Davis. They're resigning CJGJ and Bradburry. 

And they have two first rounders AGAIN this year. While being set at QB. The Eagles are going to be a problem for a decade. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I’m not about spending draft or cap resources at RB.

But it’s hard to overstate how much Ekeler would help a young QB like Howell. Especially considering we don’t really have TE figured out as a strong checkdown option. We’ve never seen a RB like Ekeler here, especially in the receiving game. He would pair with Robinson incredibly well, and his career would be extended being less of a bellcow here. Ekeler also has an incredible nose for the endzone so it’s not a giveaway whatsoever to have him in the backfield in the redzone. He’s immeasurably better than Gibson who seems destined to not be here in the future (or sooner). Gibson looked much better as a partner to Robinson in the backfield, but he still isn’t anywhere near the receiving threat we all envisioned when he was drafted. 

There’s a limit to the guarantees I’d want to see given to him, of course. I bet the trade itself would only be for a 5th or 6th, so it’s the contract I’d worry about. But Ekeler is like the super platinum version of McKissic. 

I remember how long Darren Sproles played effectively in this league as a receiving back once he was allowed off special teams. Ekeler could have similar longevity somewhere that didn’t run him into the ground year after year, and is a more complete player. 

To repeat, most important is how much of a cheat code this acquisition would be for Howell. The easier we can make his life, the more likely he hits and develops into a franchise QB. That’s worth $7-8M/year with some solid guarantees imo. The peripheral benefits to the roster, the organization, and the franchise if it helps Howell hit are impossible to measure. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

But it’s hard to overstate how much Ekeler would help a young QB like Howell. Especially considering we don’t really have TE figured out as a strong checkdown option. We’ve never seen a RB like Ekeler here, especially in the receiving game. He would pair with Robinson incredibly well, and his career would be extended being less of a bellcow here. Ekeler also has an incredible nose for the endzone so it’s not a giveaway whatsoever to have him in the backfield in the redzone. He’s immeasurably better than Gibson who seems destined to not be here in the future (or sooner). Gibson looked much better as a partner to Robinson in the backfield, but he still isn’t anywhere near the receiving threat we all envisioned when he was drafted. 

There’s a limit to the guarantees I’d want to see given to him, of course. I bet the trade itself would only be for a 5th or 6th, so it’s the contract I’d worry about. But Ekeler is like the super platinum version of McKissic. 

I remember how long Darren Sproles played effectively in this league as a receiving back once he was allowed off special teams. Ekeler could have similar longevity somewhere that didn’t run him into the ground year after year, and is a more complete player. 

Just saw a report on NFLN that Ekeler has been cleared by the Chargers to seek a trade. So maybe that guy earlier wasnt smoking crack. No doubt he would completely change our offense. He is a serious weapon in the passing game. 

Petersons deal was pretty cheap. He is most likely close to done. But that is a pretty good price for a player of his quality. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

To repeat, most important is how much of a cheat code this acquisition would be for Howell. The easier we can make his life, the more likely he hits and develops into a franchise QB. That’s worth $7-8M/year with some solid guarantees imo. The peripheral benefits to the roster, the organization, and the franchise if it helps Howell hit are impossible to measure. 

Man, there you go presenting a case that has me listening.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We got Gibby and McK for absolute peanuts.

Don't see the need to ship out a pick for Ekler, and pay up w/ a new big deal. Our RB is already pretty loaded. the only thing we need is another cheap speed guy to groom and replace Gibby n McK next year and you get that from the draft.

Pretty Loaded? Gibby is average at both Run pass, Ekler is a star and a perfect all purpose back he can even block. I know he has been in the league for 5 years but He would be a big upgrade.  I would give up a 4/5 to have him for 3or4 years.  He would work well with Robinson too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just saw a report on NFLN that Ekeler has been cleared by the Chargers to seek a trade. So maybe that guy earlier wasnt smoking crack. No doubt he would completely change our offense. He is a serious weapon in the passing game. 

I'm sure the Chargers are looking for a first round pick.  Ekeler is great and I'd be a fan of trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.  But I wouldn't go with the first rounder, given that he's getting close to the wrong side of 30. @ConnIf he could be had for a 5th or 6th rounder, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I doubt we land him, though.  We don't seem to have much luck landing the big time trades.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And they have two first rounders AGAIN this year. While being set at QB. The Eagles are going to be a problem for a decade. 

The Truth, just like Bmore if they lose Jamar.  They no how to hold and they know how to fold them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Hope we have a eye on Vander Esch 

He's good but isn't the knock on him that he's just not very durable?  Seems to me like he's been injured more than he's been healthy and full go since he was drafted.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Pretty Loaded? Gibby is average at both Run pass, Ekler is a star and a perfect all purpose back he can even block. I know he has been in the league for 5 years but He would be a big upgrade.  I would give up a 4/5 to have him for 3or4 years.  He would work well with Robinson too.

I would love to see Ekeler in this offense. Him and BRob would be a great tandem.

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'm sure the Chargers are looking for a first round pick.  Ekeler is great and I'd be a fan of trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.  But I wouldn't go with the first rounder, given that he's getting close to the wrong side of 30.

There is no way he will go for anything close to a 1st. It will be a day 3 pick imo. He wants a new contract and that always lowers the trade acquisition cost. 

• Like 6

Just now, Conn said:

There is no way he will go for anything close to a 1st. It will be a day 3 pick imo. He wants a new contract and that always lowers the trade acquisition cost. 

I hope you're right and I hope we give it a serious effort to bring him in.  That would make our offense absolutely lethal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Agree. Plus the value of the position just isnt there. Although he is really a receiver with elite rushing ability if we are honest. 

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Would he take a 4/40 deal or is he likely looking for more? Is he looking for a deal like McCaffrey? 4/64? That would be too much for me.

Definitely agree thumbs up on Ekeler. EB has seen him run amok in person twice a year and he’s probably foaming at the mouth to add a new toy like that to his offense. We could get away with going cheap at tight end to balance out the cost.

Edited by woodpecker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, method man said:

Ekeler is going to be 28. I don't want to pay him. If RB1 is need, I would rather do the thing I abhor and take a first round RB like Bijan Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs vs pay Ekeler

That depends on the contract for me. With Howell on such a cheap contract, we can afford a little extra at places like RB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1