Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your plan for the 2023 offseason?

Zim489

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm going to work under the assumption that we get a new owner in place, but not till around March/April ish. Which means we're basically stuck with Rivera for another year.

New owner hires a GM. Preferably a top lieutenant from a good organization, similar to the Giants hiring the Bills #2 guy this past off season. I don't know anyone specifically. I know OP listed some names, I guess any one of them would probably be a good hire. Being that the owner is new, I'm sure the league will help him conduct a search(like they did with Mara and the Giants last year). 

The GM would obviously have say over personnel. They would still be reliant on the current scouts/FO people for the 2023 draft, because again March/April is too late and the work for the 2023 draft will have already been done, but the GM would still be in charge of the direction of the team, meaning we wouldn't be making short sighted moves like trading up for risky QB prospects or drafting something like a G to "win now." 

The owner and GM sit down with Rivera. He can coach the team for another year, but there needs to be legitimate results. 10+ wins. Playoffs. They can sign a veteran FA QB if they desire, but there will be no major resource allocation into that position(unless a QB prospect falls to them in the draft that the new GM really likes, but again that's doubtful since they won't have done the draft prep). Rivera can stick around or he can step down. Unlikely he steps down(would be leaving a lot of money on the table)so most likely he coaches one more year and we win like 5 games or something and he's out the door.

The draft strategy should be to try to accumulate picks for 2024. Make big trade downs if possible. Ideally you trade down with a team that looks like it could be bad in 2023(think what the Eagles did with the Saints). That isn't always possible however, so if you can't just try to take high upside guys at premium positions. Again, IF there is a QB that falls to our pick that the new GM seems to really like then I'd take a shot at him.

No major FA acquisitions. Obviously you have to fill out a roster so if there is good value to be had then go for it(think like when signed Ronald Darby, Erick Flowers etc.). I'd like to keep Payne, but if you franchise him and a team offers us a #1 I'd take it. I'd probably consider a #2 as well. I wouldn't look to just give anyone else away though, but obviously if some team offers something crazy for someone like Sweat you think about it. I'd look to give Curl a long term extension. I wouldn't mind giving Gibson a small extension as well. Nothing crazy but I think we can keep him for like a 2-3 year extension for not too much $. He has talent and value. 

The 2023 QB should be a competition between Howell and whichever inexpensive vet we sign(when I say vet I mean someone like Mariotta, Trebisky etc. that were available last year. No Derek Carr or anything like that). If its close you play Howell. If you draft a QB in round 1 then play him and see what you have right away. 

Ideally we tank 2023 and have draft capital to get a franchise QB and hire an offensive minded coach that can develop him in 2024 and we start the new era off then.

I love every single part of this plan. The only thing I would add is that you try and move some players you know wont be here long term. Fuller Payne and/or Sweat (I prefer both) Logan Rouiller Leno Norwell. 

19 hours ago, Okapi p4pi said:

. Retain Jason Wright (I actually think he is a smart guy who can help).

Please...dear god no. Dude is an incompetent clown and a bad liar who is tits deep in nearly every embarrassing screw up this team has made during his tenure. 

In my opinion, his head should be the 1st to roll after Danny-boy's exit. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Continue to remodel my house. Plant some beautiful flowers in my yard for all the pollinators to enjoy. 

listen in to see if there is a sale of the  team. This may cause a celebration.  Follow free agency and the draft. 

play lots of guitar, bass, and keys. Start learning to play drums. 

Visit several countries in Europe. And just try to have a good time. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I love every single part of this plan. The only thing I would add is that you try and move some players you know wont be here long term. Fuller Payne and/or Sweat (I prefer both) Logan Rouiller Leno Norwell. 

I'm 50/50 on Roullier. On one hand he's coming off back to back season ending injuries and might just be a physically declining player at this point(even if his age is still fairly young). On the other hand, he's not that expensive and when healthy he is a top 10-ish C and nowadays a good C is extremely valuable. I'd keep a close eye on his physical progress this off season.

The rest of the OL can all go except Cosmi. He's still on a rookie deal and has shown some promise. Gotta move him to G though.

Fuller is a fine player. I don't think we'd really net much in a trade for him. He's relatively inexpensive for someone who plays a premium position. I'm okay with keeping him. 

Sweat is an interesting case. I like him, probably more than most, and I feel like as soon as he goes somewhere else he's gonna start racking up 15 sack seasons. But Young has looked good coming off the injury and will only be better in 2023 so you know he's gonna cost a lot in the long term. I don't think I'd deal him for less than a 1st though and I doubt anyone offers a 1st.

• Like 1

I think the situation is as follows:

• New owner won't be here before the juicy part of the offseason starts
  • That means no time to look for a GM and for that GM to look for a coach, so that needs to be postponed to 2024
  • This also means it doesn't make sense to fire Rivera but rather roll with him in 2024
  • Can't let Rivera pick a QB in the first round though that another coach/GM then has to inherit

Therefore, we need to accept that the next year is going to be a lame duck year and we need to position ourselves for 2024.

• This means we need to cut some players to get some cap space (Wentz, Thomas, Fuller, etc.)
  • I would also try to trade Montez Sweat and franchise tag and trade Daron Payne if possible and try to accumulate draft capital for 2024. I know these would be unpopular moves here but we won't be going anywhere next year because of the ownership/coaching situation and need to bring ourselves in a position where this is an attractive place to attract the top tier GM candidates. We also should try to position ourselves to pick a QB next year or have the draft capital to move up if needed

PS: I would also start the process of changing the name, but that might be a personal thing

• Like 1

Hard to give my plan.

I don’t think a sale will go through in time for the off-season stuff, so my plan wouldn’t be applicable. In a vacuum, I think you need to do a few things with player personnel and staffing.

But it’s tough to even get into that without knowing where we’ll be in another month.

I think what is going to happen is the FO and HC stay in tact because a sale isn’t finalized. So, based on what I think is going to happen:

1) Try to find a new OC, but understand that may be tough to get under the circumstances and be ready to roll with Turner or an on-staff replacement or a young QB/position coach from somewhere in the League.

2) Trade Sweat. Release Wentz. 

3) Figure out something to do at QB. With sale pending, trading is a non-starter. Mayfield/Darnold become realistic (yet sad) options. I’d prefer Mayfield and think he can do something in the League still in that scenario.

Drafting a QB at our draft slot also comes into consideration.

Sam Howell needs to be pondered. What the plan is for him long term (we need to see him Sunday).

4) Get Payne re-upped. Get Curl re-upped long term.

5) Buckle up.

Those are the primary beats for me at this point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The offseason is a terrible time to try and trade Sweat. It's not happening. Especially not for value. The only time we get anything for him, is during the season, unless we trade him for peanuts.

RonCo will definitely stay in charge this next year.

Obviously if you don’t get quality offers you don’t trade him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wasn't aimed at you. Seeing that a lot.

I think we need to move him for anything better than a 3rd because I think he’s the odd man out. But we’d get a comp pick for losing him, so if it’s a 3 or worse I’d hold on to him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

Please...dear god no. Dude is an incompetent clown and a bad liar who is tits deep in nearly every embarrassing screw up this team has made during his tenure. 

In my opinion, his head should be the 1st to roll after Danny-boy's exit. 

Yeah that’s where he lost me too. But then the next line… Have Jason help hire the new GM. Yikes!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we need to move him for anything better than a 3rd because I think he’s the odd man out. But we’d get a comp pick for losing him, so if it’s a 3 or worse I’d hold on to him.

If we're going to be competitive next season, he's worth keeping. If by week 6 we have a replacement or aren't competitive, I'd trade him. But in the offseason, unless some crazy magical trade proposal suddenly appears, it's pointless and that goes for every single player.

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we're going to be competitive next season, he's worth keeping. If by week 6 we have a replacement or aren't competitive, I'd trade him. But in the offseason, unless some crazy magical trade proposal suddenly appears, it's pointless and that goes for every single player.

I think Toohill and JSW are a very capable duo to replace him. But I don’t think he’s as good as many think he is. 

But that doesn’t mean he’s not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

1) Try to find a new OC

Not crapping on you but this one feels like the most unrealistic portion that anyone is calling for this offseason. The entire league would see it as a lame duck year. Maybe some Zorn type of position coach some where that wouldnt normally be in the running for a job like this would jump but people don't want to be uprooted in a lame duck year. 

I think Scott needs to be replaced too and if he does I think it would be by Zampese and Zampese alone. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ideally we tank 2023 and have draft capital to get a franchise QB and hire an offensive minded coach that can develop him in 2024 and we start the new era off then.

You know, I was pro-tanking and then I realized the truth: There is a reason the same teams are picking at the top of the draft year-in, and year-out, with a few exceptions. When was the last time you saw the Steelers pick in the top 10? Yet, they're consistently good. Mike Tomlin, with a flawed, rookie QB, is on the verge of a winning season. Green Bay just finds franchise QBs--so weird, isn't it? KC won with Alex Smith, moved up to get Mahomes with the 10th pick, and haven't looked back--even before Mahomes--they've had 10 straight winning seasons. The Seahawks, in a "rebuilding year" are pressing for the playoffs--have been consistent for the better part of 20 years. The 9ers have become one of those teams after floundering for a few years--their last top 5 pick they took a DL...the horror! The Eagles have rebuilt TWICE in the last 10 years--who was their big, top-5 pick? You know who that was? Carson Wentz. The Ravens have been a consistent winner, always picking in the bottom half of the draft.

And before you can say Joe Burrow and the Bengals, let me counter with the Jets--TWO failed top 5 QBs in the last 5 years! The Lions are always picking top 10 (although they're having a good year, lets see if it's a flash or they're doing something right). The Bears have won 3 games with Justin Fields (great runner, maybe he pulls a Josh Allen and learns to pass, maybe he flames out like RGIII, TBD). Is Trevor Lawrence that guy? Maybe--he's improving, but he's not showing like Burrow did. The Browns had the #1 overall pick--they had to shove a pile of money in front of a despicable person--still aren't winning anything. How many top picks have the Raiders blown? They've had 2 winning seasons in 20 years. 

Point is: Good organizations win--not picking in the top 5. 

Also....you really want to sell a tank job to Jon Allen?

(caveat--not directed solely at you Warhead, just a popular sentiment I have been thinking a lot about.)

• Like 1