Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your plan for the 2023 offseason?

Zim489

For me if/when Dan is out:

Ron resigns. Fire Marty Martin Chris Polian Eric Stokes Tom Gribble. 

Hire from this list of GM canidates. Brandon Brown Eagles Ian Cunningham Bears Ed Dodds Colts Brandon Hunt Steelers Will Mclay Cowboys Eliot Wolf Patriots Brandon Brown Giants 

Let JDR stay on an interim basis.

Fill the rest of the FO after the draft with a heavy basis on analytics

Here are some non crazy moves that can be made for the roster

Payne Tag and Trade. I know some love him but paying 2 DTs in the 2020s is just not a good roster building maneuver. Its too much money into one position. If you cant trade him let him walk. 

Trade Sweat or Chase. I lean towards trading Sweat. Chase right now is still the face of the franchises future. For as good as Jon and Terry are they arent faces of franchise type of players. Also coupling with the comment for Payne. Paying both DEs in the 2020s isnt the smartest play. At this point Id lean to only keeping 2 of the 4. More money to spend on the offense and back 7 of the defense. Analytics continue to push that coverage is far more important that pass rush.

Trade back in 2023 for as much capital as you can for 24. Thats an easy given if you cant still attempt to move back and collect picks. Draft high end talents that requires some developing that you don't really count on in year 1. Unlike this past draft which was full of high floor guys that were drafted solely for their ability to contribute year one and not for their ceilings.

Players Im cutting or attempting to trade that has minimal chance of being here beyond year 1 of the new staff. Currently they are slated right now to have roughly 20 mil in cap before making a single move. Wentz Samuels Fuller Leno Roullier Norwell Lucas JD Mccain Gibson(Dont like resigning RBs. They rarely live up to value)

You run a Howell led season. 

With these moves they get up to 100 mil in Cap space. They would have a tremendous slate for a quick turn around with a new staff. Front load some contracts of guys in need of resigning like Curl.

We would be BAD in 2023. Zero QB. Zero Oline. The offense would be horrendous. We'd however have a fantastic draft pick. A boat load of cap space with rollovers. All with out losing really any of our youthful base. On offense you still have Terry and Dotson (Not super high on his ceiling but a fine player). On Defense you still have 4-5 legit building blocks for the defense in Chase JA Jamin BSJ Curl and possibly Forrest. You luck into a Caleb or Drake Sweepstakes and this team could be in SB contention by 2025

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 2

Pretty sure you can't name someone an interim HC in the off-season unless there's some loophole.  Actually I remember Florio screaming about something when Arians resigned from the Bucs which could be away for teams to bypass the Rooney Rule, but still I don't think you can place an interim label on a coach unless it's in season.  Can't see Ron resigning anyway with two years left on his deal.

2 hours ago, drowland said:

Pretty sure you can't name someone an interim HC in the off-season unless there's some loophole.  Actually I remember Florio screaming about something when Arians resigned from the Bucs which could be away for teams to bypass the Rooney Rule, but still I don't think you can place an interim label on a coach unless it's in season.  Can't see Ron resigning anyway with two years left on his deal.

Ron resigns; you have to go through the regular interview process; even if Jack is the guy. The Rooney Rule mandates you interview minorities, you can't name an interim coach in the off-season.

3 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Everything and Anything starts with the sale of this team.  The timing of the incoming owner, whoever it is, will dictate everything

This is 💯 true. 

If a sale happens but later in the offseason. They might be stuck with one last FA and draft from the current front office. Forget a new coach. 

Best case that we should all pray for every night before bed is that there is clearly a bid too good to reject already in place for and the league high steps the process to get it approved asap. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

image.png.d3c7dfecf36f72f31a76495b939bbe3c.png

I looked at the guys you mentioned cutting at pre 6/1.  Didn’t include the Sweat trade.  

I’m assuming you want to do a post 6/1 cut of Roullier too.  Which would put them at 32 players.  I’d imagine that there is a rule that you have to field a full roster.  So, at a minimum, you have to get another 19 guys to count against the cap.  Let’s say the average around $850k each, that’s under $90M in cap space. It would meet your goal of being a terrible team next season.  Don’t know if Curl and Young resign in that environment.  

That’s a **** ton of holes to fill in two years.  If everything breaks right, you draft well, no injury setbacks to your key acquisitions, you may be in a similar spot as year 2 Trevor Lawrence which isn’t a SB contender, but maybe a playoff team in a ****ty division.

Now let’s go hire Urban Meyer!

Would Sweat get more in a trade than a comp pick value.  Kind of similar to Payne.  I don’t think many people thought he’d get more than a third.

Edited by Ball Security

Until this team removes all things Dan, we won’t move forward. Even if Dan is gone in March; we still have to deal with all his hires from coaching to operations for 2023 at least.

I think Jason is gone the moment sale approved. GM after the draft though new owner might have someone to oversee. He’s going to want his own person there; even if the big change not happening until after the draft.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I like this topic, gives us something to talk about that isn't all doom and gloom.  First thing is the team being sold; I don't care who it is as long as Dan Snyder is no longer the owner of this franchise. Next:

1. Fire Ron Rivera and the entire coaching staff (love Ron as a person, but his coaching days are over).

2. Fire both GM's Marty and Marty (made no sense why we had two in the first place).

3. Retain Jason Wright (I actually think he is a smart guy who can help).

4. New owner and Jason Wright can begin the process of hiring a new GM and head coach.

5. Once the GM and head coach are hired, let the head coach actually choose his own coordinators and staff (personally I like Brian Flores, Demeco Ryans, Eric Beineimy).

6. Let the GM and head coach evaluate the players and make decisions on the roster. 

7. I would love to retain DaRon Payne, but realistically you probably cannot if you need to rebuild. I think resigning Cam Kurl and Cole Holcomb is extremely important, look at signing offensive lineman, CB, LB in free agency. Leave QB to the draft, we should be done with trading for everyone else's used up QB's and look to find our guy in the draft (if it's not Sam Howell).

8. Start the process of building a new stadium (if the new owner is spending 7 billion on a new team, this maybe unlikely but if its Bezos he can drop another 1 billion on a new stadium no problem).

9. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!  If the owner does not interfere with football decisions and doesn't grope people, he will be a saint and forever loved in DC! 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

9 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Hire from this list of GM canidates. Brandon Brown Eagles Ian Cunningham Bears Ed Dodds Colts Brandon Hunt Steelers Will Mclay Cowboys Eliot Wolf Patriots Brandon Brown Giants 

For the eagles, did you mean Jon Ferrari or Alec Hataby?  To me, Hataby’s resume reads better.  But yeah, there are some good orgs that have assistant GMs that I would like the new owner to poach.

If one looks at the org charts across the league, they vary greatly.  I like Buffalo’s structure.  It comes off more simple and straightforward.

I would like to see the following setup: Owner hires a GM who reports directly to the owner.  The GM has four direct reports: HC, 2 assistant GMs, and a COO.

The COO owns the non-football side: HR, Office of General Counsel (OGC), Communications - media (Julie Donaldson’s side of the house plus digital media, and marketing), Ticket Sales and Services, Finance, IT, Outreach (fan and alumni), Stadium Operations. It’s a lot and I may be missing something.

One assistant GM would have scouting and football analytics roll up to them.

The other assistant GM would have Trainers, Physicians, Strength and Conditioning, Equipment, Video, and Performance Science roll up to them.

Then, I’d have stadium development consultants as a group that reports to the owner directly until the new one opens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

For the eagles, did you mean Jon Ferrari or Alec Hataby?  To me, Hataby’s resume reads better.  But yeah, there are some good orgs that have assistant GMs that I would like the new owner to poach.

If one looks at the org charts across the league, they vary greatly.  I like Buffalo’s structure.  It comes off more simple and straightforward.

I would like to see the following setup: Owner hires a GM who reports directly to the owner.  The GM has four direct reports: HC, 2 assistant GMs, and a COO.

The COO owns the non-football side: HR, Office of General Counsel (OGC), Communications - media (Julie Donaldson’s side of the house plus digital media, and marketing), Ticket Sales and Services, Finance, IT, Outreach (fan and alumni), Stadium Operations. It’s a lot and I may be missing something.

One assistant GM would have scouting and football analytics roll up to them.

The other assistant GM would have Trainers, Physicians, Strength and Conditioning, Equipment, Video, and Performance Science roll up to them.

Then, I’d have stadium development consultants as a group that reports to the owner directly until the new one opens.

The COO wouldn't report to a GM. They'd report to a Team President and the GM would also report to the Team President or the CEO (assuming the owner or someone picked by the owner)

One thing I like that the Eagles have done is they have plucked smart people from non football backgrounds and put them in positions of power. Joe Banner owned a line of clothing stores before coming to football and Howie Roseman was a guy with a law degree who started off as a salary cap guy. When fans like many on these board look at GM candidates, they are really focused on player personnel guys or guys from scouting backgrounds who rise up the chain. While many of the great GMs come from this background, I would also consider folks who come up the Howie Roseman way because the GM job involves a lot of administration, strategy setting and operations. The key when you get the guy with the non traditional background is to support him with many first rate personnel and analytics people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

The COO wouldn't report to a GM. They'd report to a Team President and the GM would also report to the Team President or the CEO (assuming the owner or someone picked by the owner)

One thing I like that the Eagles have done is they have plucked smart people from non football backgrounds and put them in positions of power. Joe Banner owned a line of clothing stores before coming to football and Howie Roseman was a guy with a law degree who started off as a salary cap guy. When fans like many on these board look at GM candidates, they are really focused on player personnel guys or guys from scouting backgrounds who rise up the chain. While many of the great GMs come from this background, I would also consider folks who come up the Howie Roseman way because the GM job involves a lot of administration, strategy setting and operations. The key when you get the guy with the non traditional background is to support him with many first rate personnel and analytics people. 

You could definitely do it that way.  Just add a layer for a GM to oversee the HC and two assistant GMs and have that person, along with the COO to report to the team owner.  The way Buffalo does it, they have their COO and Beane report to the owner (who has the title of President).

Edited by Ball Security

I'm going to work under the assumption that we get a new owner in place, but not till around March/April ish. Which means we're basically stuck with Rivera for another year.

New owner hires a GM. Preferably a top lieutenant from a good organization, similar to the Giants hiring the Bills #2 guy this past off season. I don't know anyone specifically. I know OP listed some names, I guess any one of them would probably be a good hire. Being that the owner is new, I'm sure the league will help him conduct a search(like they did with Mara and the Giants last year). 

The GM would obviously have say over personnel. They would still be reliant on the current scouts/FO people for the 2023 draft, because again March/April is too late and the work for the 2023 draft will have already been done, but the GM would still be in charge of the direction of the team, meaning we wouldn't be making short sighted moves like trading up for risky QB prospects or drafting something like a G to "win now." 

The owner and GM sit down with Rivera. He can coach the team for another year, but there needs to be legitimate results. 10+ wins. Playoffs. They can sign a veteran FA QB if they desire, but there will be no major resource allocation into that position(unless a QB prospect falls to them in the draft that the new GM really likes, but again that's doubtful since they won't have done the draft prep). Rivera can stick around or he can step down. Unlikely he steps down(would be leaving a lot of money on the table)so most likely he coaches one more year and we win like 5 games or something and he's out the door.

The draft strategy should be to try to accumulate picks for 2024. Make big trade downs if possible. Ideally you trade down with a team that looks like it could be bad in 2023(think what the Eagles did with the Saints). That isn't always possible however, so if you can't just try to take high upside guys at premium positions. Again, IF there is a QB that falls to our pick that the new GM seems to really like then I'd take a shot at him.

No major FA acquisitions. Obviously you have to fill out a roster so if there is good value to be had then go for it(think like when signed Ronald Darby, Erick Flowers etc.). I'd like to keep Payne, but if you franchise him and a team offers us a #1 I'd take it. I'd probably consider a #2 as well. I wouldn't look to just give anyone else away though, but obviously if some team offers something crazy for someone like Sweat you think about it. I'd look to give Curl a long term extension. I wouldn't mind giving Gibson a small extension as well. Nothing crazy but I think we can keep him for like a 2-3 year extension for not too much $. He has talent and value. 

The 2023 QB should be a competition between Howell and whichever inexpensive vet we sign(when I say vet I mean someone like Mariotta, Trebisky etc. that were available last year. No Derek Carr or anything like that). If its close you play Howell. If you draft a QB in round 1 then play him and see what you have right away. 

Ideally we tank 2023 and have draft capital to get a franchise QB and hire an offensive minded coach that can develop him in 2024 and we start the new era off then.

• Like 1