Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday Night Game Night Thread: Washington at Philly - Heinicke's Last Stand, Wentz if it Hurts

TK
Message added by TK,

1520763020_ScreenShot2022-11-14at11_09_58PM.thumb.png.f702b5530a184659b9ace0bd422e8112.png

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Tennessee DOES do it.

You need to have the horses. 

We have one of, if not the, best D-Lines in the league with Jon Allen and Daron Payne. Gibson and B Rob are one of the best RB tandems out there right now.

And btw, it's not some "magical formula" literally every coach out there talks about establishing the run and committing to it.

@mistertim literally as soon as I finished my last post I refreshed Twitter and saw this Dan Orlovsky segment titled "Return of the running game". Guess the "magic formula" is out lol

Tennessee has a future HoF RB, we don't. Tennessee runs an average of 30 times per game.

Again, you guys are using a one off abnormality game where we were able to run an absurd amount and the somehow projecting that onto the rest of the season.

The exact same thing happened last season. During the 4 game win streak where we were able to run a lot, some people said that we'd figured it out and we'd keep winning games with the same plan. That ran into a brick wall.

Yes, every coach wants to have a run game, and realizes it's important. But there's a difference between that and basically having no other option because you have a very limited QB so relying on passing isn't much of an option.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

@mistertim you are reaching here.

If teams sell out to stop the run, Heinicke is capable enough to beat them via the intermediate passing game.

The offensive attack is not as one-dimensional as you're making it out to be. The stats were so lopsided on Monday night because the running game kept grinding out yards and keeping the offense ahead of the chains.

Of all 49 running plays, only one was a TFL and that was only for 1 yard. Plus as Ron said, the YPC average was brought down by 3rd and short's that were converted.

If the Eagles had done better against the run, I'm sure we would have passed more. 

100% correct, I also think the sack fumble during the first possession caused us to really press the run as much as possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tennessee has a future HoF RB, we don't. Tennessee runs an average of 30 times per game.

Again, you guys are using a one off abnormality game where we were able to run an absurd amount and the somehow projecting that onto the rest of the season.

The exact same thing happened last season. During the 4 game win streak where we were able to run a lot, some people said that we'd figured it out and we'd keep winning games with the same plan. That ran into a brick wall.

Yes, every coach wants to have a run game, and realizes it's important. But there's a difference between that and basically having no other option because you have a very limited QB so relying on passing isn't much of an option.

This is becoming circular so I'm going to leave this here. 

Not every game will have 49 runs, but a run-first game-plan complemented by a short to intermediate-heavy passing game and stout defense can absolutely be a winning brand of football and it almost seems like your personal dogma against either Heinicke or this team is clouding your ability to see that. You can have the last word if you'd like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

This is becoming circular so I'm going to leave this here. 

Not every game will have 49 runs, but a run-first game-plan complemented by a short to intermediate-heavy passing game and stout defense can absolutely be a winning brand of football and it almost seems like your personal dogma against either Heinicke or this team is clouding your ability to see that. You can have the last word if you'd like.

And again, that was the plan last season. It worked for a few games, then teams figured out how to defend it and things crashed and burned.

But maybe you're right and we'll somehow just keep being able to do it. I have serious doubts that it's going to be successful down the stretch, but we'll see.

And it doesn't have to do with Heinicke specifically. If we were doing this with Wentz I'd say the exact same thing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

But it is a legitimate loss because they lost. 8-1, which is still pretty great.

If they are so great why couldn't they overcome playing a team who is in organizational turmoil, with a back up QB, Eagles coming off extra days rest, playing at home prime time Monday night. 11.5 point favorites, most people (including many Commander fans) gave Washington no chance and expected a blow out. Nope, on this particular night the Commanders beat the Eagles.   ....and to top it all off...Dan Snyder!

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Barry @BarryOnHere It took two horrific penalty calls and a fluke fumble for the Eagles to lose. The haters are talking shit but it's not hitting like they want because deep down they know this wasn't a legitimate loss by the Eagles.'

If it's in the L column it's legit. I agree the missed face mask was a horrendous call on the refs. But they lost because AJ Brown and Goedert combined for 30 yards total. They got shut down by a defense that is coming into its own.  I predicted a 45-9 blow out by them and they collapsed. They looked like we usually do on MNF. But they still lead the division so who knows.....maybe a wake up call?

Edited by tmandoug1
GRAMMAR CHECK

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

And again, that was the plan last season. It worked for a few games, then teams figured out how to defend it and things crashed and burned.

But maybe you're right and we'll somehow just keep being able to do it. I have serious doubts that it's going to be successful down the stretch, but we'll see.

And it doesn't have to do with Heinicke specifically. If we were doing this with Wentz I'd say the exact same thing.

I'd argue that we're better equipped for that brand off offense with a healthy Samuel in addition to the rookie Robinson and the holdovers of Gibson and McKissic.  And Dotson who should compliment Terry nicely.  

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd argue that we're better equipped for that brand off offense with a healthy Samuel in addition to the rookie Robinson and the holdovers of Gibson and McKissic.  And Dotson who should compliment Terry nicely.  

I really do like Robinson, but it's not like we have Derrick Henry back there. It definitely helps to have a guy who's more in the mold of a true workhorse RB but I think we might be overhyping how much of a difference maker he is.

At some point, a team is going to be able to shut down our rushing attack. What happens then?

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I really do like Robinson, but it's not like we have Derrick Henry back there. It definitely helps to have a guy who's more in the mold of a true workhorse RB but I think we might be overhyping how much of a difference maker he is.

At some point, a team is going to be able to shut down our rushing attack. What happens then?

Mcclaurin says hello. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

He just says welcome aboard

• Like 4

19 hours ago, PolarExpress said:

It was obvious Heinicke had taken a knee before 55 hit him.  There is a great screenshot of it on here somewhere.

Oh there is no disagreement there.

I am talking about future use. Say Taylor knows he is going to get clobbered - in gun and sees pass pro breakdown. 4th and 25 game on the line. Two aggressive LBs are coming at him full speed.  He takes a knee at the last second and draws a PF. 

That's the scenario I was talking about. That QBs could use the kneel play and benefit because its almost physically impossible for many defensive players to pull up from full speed. They will have to hurdle. Now I know that will never be a set play call nor ever happen, but just maybe its likely to work as well as converting 4th and LONG, right?

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Oh there is no disagreement there.

I am talking about future use. Say Taylor knows he is going to get clobbered - in gun and sees pass pro breakdown. 4th and 25 game on the line. Two aggressive LBs are coming at him full speed.  He takes a knee at the last second and draws a PF. 

That's the scenario I was talking about. That QBs could use the kneel play and benefit because its almost physically impossible for many defensive players to pull up from full speed. They will have to hurdle. Now I know that will never be a set play call nor ever happen, but just maybe its likely to work as well as converting 4th and LONG, right?

I think Taylor's case was helped by two things.  One,it's after the two minute warning and we have the lead.  After the two minute warning teams kneel.  Some even run backward a few steps as Heinicke  did on one of the kneel downs.  So seeing a QB kneel at that point is something that people are looking for.  Two, Reddick was even closer and put out way more effort to stop than Graham did, which makes the ref have to consider if Graham could have stopped

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I love the wording. "It was unacceptable" well what are you gonna do about it, buddy? Sue the refs? Boycott the NFL? 

No. You're going to whine in your column and then you will, in fact, accept it.

Like the "do better" / "be better" crowd. I always want to ask, "or what?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Terry was playing in the last several games of 2021, when teams stopped our running game and we were awful.

There are only so many spray and pray deep balls that we can count on Terry to nab.

The Rams won the Super Bowl last year.