Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

Colts clearly aren't stopping NY

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

At least the last few years we've hovered around .500 and had some meaning football into december. About what I imagined with Ron. 

And players seem to like playing here now, which is nice.

Best nucleus since Gibbs 2 IMO.  I've not been this jazzed for an off season in a long time.

Keim hinited in a podcast last off season, he sensed the go for the kill off season wouldn't be that one but the one after -- this coming one.  I think they are on pace IMO.

Most of us were jazzed about where this team was headed pre-Giants series.  Mr "clutch" crapped the bed in those games, with 20-30 QBR performances.  Defense looked strong and running game was good in those matchups.  But ifs tough to win with the worst QB starting in the NFL.  We need to fix the O line and upgrade at QB. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Best nucleus since Gibbs 2 IMO.  I've not been this jazzed for an off season in a long time.

Keim hinited in a podcast last off season, he sensed the go for the kill off season wouldn't be that one but the one after -- this coming one.  I think they are on pace IMO.

Most of us were jazzed about where this team was headed pre-Giants series.  Mr "clutch" crapped the bed in those games, with 20-30 QBR performances.  Defense looked strong and running game was good in those matchups.  But ifs tough to win with the worst QB starting in the NFL.  We need to fix the O line and upgrade at QB. 

Dam, look at you letting your boy Darnold out of the basement.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dam, look at you letting your boy Darnold out of the basement.

lol, yeah i watched much of Carolina's last two games.  Darnold was bad but not awful, like our team they went heavy with their run game to say the least.

I'd go Taylor over Darnold though.  But neither one is a starter.  And i am over the Taylor isn't a good QB but he's clutch narrative some have.  In the two most important games of the season he laid a big egg. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

At least the last few years we've hovered around .500 and had some meaning football into december. About what I imagined with Ron. 

And players seem to like playing here now, which is nice.

I'm torn on Ron, on one hand I absolutely love having a coach that's so well respected and liked, he's a professional and his players love playing for him, he'll never get caught outside a nightclub smoking a joint or getting his nipple tweaked.

This team needed his presence the last three years more than anything else and we should be very grateful for him for that.

On the other hand I worry about his game management and x's and o's chops, we always seem to be the team that gets outsmarted or out coached and it's very worrisome. 

I do think if we have great offensive and defensive coordinators and a good roster this team can be quite good under him but I fear we'll always be a schotenheimer type team that can't get over the hump.

Maybe if we could ever get to that hump we can consider replacing him but for now I still think he's the best guy to lead us through the rest of this storm we seem to nearing the end of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm torn on Ron, on one hand I absolutely love having a coach that's so well respected and liked, he's a professional and his players love playing for him, he'll never get caught outside a nightclub smoking a joint or getting his nipple tweaked.

This team needed his presence the last three years more than anything else and we should be very grateful for him for that.

On the other hand I worry about his game management and x's and o's chops, we always seem to be the team that gets outsmarted or out coached and it's very worrisome. 

I do think if we have great offensive and defensive coordinators and a good roster this team can be quite good under him but I fear we'll always be a schotenheimer type team that can't get over the hump.

Maybe if we could ever get to that hump we can consider replacing him but for now I still think he's the best guy to lead us through the rest of this storm we seem to nearing the end of.

The man has built a fine stage, and I'm happy about it, but I don't see him getting over the hump. 

I wonder if Zampeze can be a good OC.

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Ouch

That’s the issue with this coaching staff. You have mainly a bunch of old guys who are what they are - good position coaches but no upside beyond that. One of the reasons you can’t fire Scott during the season is because there is no one to take over for him. It is pretty sad and pathetic vs other staffs that have a bunch of young offensive minds. 

• Like 1

If this were the 80s or 90s, even maybe early 00s, Rivera would be an outstanding coach.

The problem is nowadays, your coach needs to be a killer on Xs and Os and strategy. The best teams have a coach like this and it shows. Its a tremendous advantage.

When you look at the 1-3 seeds in each conference, each of them have a fantastic strategiest/in game tactician as their Head Coach, with the exception of maybe Zac Taylor in Cincy who's a dolt but rides the coattails of Joey Burrow and an awesome set of skill players.

Even the Wild Card teams. Dallas has McCarthy who we like to rag on, but the guy knows offensive football. McDaniel in Miami. Staley for LA. etc. etc.

We'll never have that with Rivera. He's a fantastic leader of men and culture guy. But he doesn't give us that edge we need when it comes to tactics and strategy in game, and it holds us back when we face quality competition.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If this were the 80s or 90s, even maybe early 00s, Rivera would be an outstanding coach.

The problem is nowadays, your coach needs to be a killer on Xs and Os and strategy. The best teams have a coach like this and it shows. Its a tremendous advantage.

When you look at the 1-3 seeds in each conference, each of them have a fantastic strategiest/in game tactician as their Head Coach, with the exception of maybe Zac Taylor in Cincy who's a dolt but rides the coattails of Joey Burrow and an awesome set of skill players.

Even the Wild Card teams. Dallas has McCarthy who we like to rag on, but the guy knows offensive football. McDaniel in Miami. Staley for LA. etc. etc.

We'll never have that with Rivera. He's a fantastic leader of men and culture guy. But he doesn't give us that edge we need when it comes to tactics and strategy in game, and it holds us back when we face quality competition.

Rivera's game plan with Scott Turner, who's horrible, is all about ball control and no real vertical passing game even though he has the personnel to do that now with Terry, Dotson, and Samuel.  It's definitely outdated and isn't the type of offense that the successful teams are running now.

7 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Rivera's game plan with Scott Turner, who's horrible, is all about ball control and no real vertical passing game even though he has the personnel to do that now with Terry, Dotson, and Samuel.  It's definitely outdated and isn't the type of offense that the successful teams are running now.

Well that is due to Heinicke's physical limitations and the OL's inability to pass protect for long enough to let those vertical routes develop.

What I'm talking about is the more nitty gritty in game strategy. Things like clock management. Timeout usage. When to go for it. When to be aggressive vs. conservative. Things like that.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What I'm talking about is the more nitty gritty in game . Things like clock management. Timeout usage. When to go for it. When to be aggressive vs. conservative. Things like that.

All of that has been an issue throughout his tenure here.  His in game strategy has never been good.  He's no spring chicken and has been slow to challenge, when to go fo it.  Although older guys like Carroll and Belichick have no problems in this area.  I thought they hired someone to help him out with all this, but I guess not. 

13 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Their offensive line is actually playing like hot garbage.  It's one of the reasons their offense has been abysmal for the last 6 weeks. I watch their oline a lot because I have Nick Chubb in fantasy football. It's been brutal. They aren't opening holes for him worth a crap. He has only gotten me between 9 - 11 points in 5 of the last 6 games. That's atrocious for an elite stud running back. In two of those games, Chubb had 34 yards on 14 carries and 19 yards on 14 carries. Pretty bad. He has only hit 100 yards rushing once in the last 7 games. Mostly due to the oline struggling. I'd like to think that our front 4 or 5 will give them fits. Now Carolina's offensive line however HAS been mowing people down in the run game. They're incredible. I am very glad that we don't have to play them right now, with a trip to the playoffs on the line.

Yeah I saw some some stat that Wyatt Teller was grading out as a top 5 guard first half of the season and 2nd half he's like 34th.  He's had a calf injury he's dealing with but apparently it's been a trend with him the last couple years to start fast then fall off.  Bitonio was rated #1 guard first half and he's like 10th during 2nd half.  They're on their 3rd center so maybe that has something to do with it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drowland said:

Yeah I saw some some stat that Wyatt Teller was grading out as a top 5 guard first half of the season and 2nd half he's like 34th.  He's had a calf injury he's dealing with but apparently it's been a trend with him the last couple years to start fast then fall off.  Bitonio was rated #1 guard first half and he's like 10th during 2nd half.  They're on their 3rd center so maybe that has something to do with it.  

That is probably it with the issues at center. It is shocking. Talentwise, they have a top 5 OL. On the outside, Wills and Conklin are both pretty good players too

Looks like the line is creeping slightly closer to Pick Em'-- was sitting at Commaders -2.5 and now in some places it's -2 or even -1.5. As far a reading the Vegas signs, this isn't the way we want it to trend. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just as a reminder, the Giants mean NOTHING to our playoff chances at this point. Their results these last two weeks have ZERO impact on us making the playoffs. The only impact it could have would be we would finish as the 6 seed instead of 7 seed if we go 2-0 and they go 0-2.