Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Demento Donny 45

88Comrade2000

I was looking at Biden's approval.  Basically it has nose-dived May to December 2021 and never recovered.  Notionally we have been told this is the economy and inflation. 

Inflation has been under 2 percent, save a little spike in summer 2011.  Biden needs to get it back down under 3 in order to have a snowballs chance in 2024.  Who knows if Trump's unpopularity will hurt him.

Typically when it comes to inflation the term "wage-price spiral" is a fear.  With the 2021 inflation, economists have discovered 60% was driven by corporate/businesses raising prices, anticipating higher inflation (typically this only accounta for 30%).  There is some concern that businesses will continue to drive inflation using the "profit-price spiral".  I think if corporations continue to drive inflation in this manner, the Fed or Congress will need to directly address this.  

The last spike we had was 2008 -- leading up to the housing meltdown. It only spiked up to 5.6%.  That was followed by a recession and actually negative prints on inflation.  it will be curious to see if the "profit-price spiral" continues.  Or if the lower inflation prints we see now will calm corporations and they will not raise prices out of fear.

None of this is any policy that Biden actually controls, and some is due to different corporate behavior.  In a natural free market, companies that are able to hold prices lower should be able to get more marker share with similar product.  It is shocking price comparing at Costco vs. a few years ago... products are pretty much up 10% over 2 years.  Under a regime of 2% inflation, it took 5 years to raise prices 10%.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I was looking at Biden's approval.  Basically it has nose-dived May to December 2021 and never recovered.  Notionally we have been told this is the economy and inflation. 

Inflation has been under 2 percent, save a little spike in summer 2011.  Biden needs to get it back down under 3 in order to have a snowballs chance in 2024.  Who knows if Trump's unpopularity will hurt him.

Typically when it comes to inflation the term "wage-price spiral" is a fear.  With the 2021 inflation, economists have discovered 60% was driven by corporate/businesses raising prices, anticipating higher inflation (typically this only accounta for 30%).  There is some concern that businesses will continue to drive inflation using the "profit-price spiral".  I think if corporations continue to drive inflation in this manner, the Fed or Congress will need to directly address this.  

The last spike we had was 2008 -- leading up to the housing meltdown. It only spiked up to 5.6%.  That was followed by a recession and actually negative prints on inflation.  it will be curious to see if the "profit-price spiral" continues.  Or if the lower inflation prints we see now will calm corporations and they will not raise prices out of fear.

None of this is any policy that Biden actually controls, and some is due to different corporate behavior.  In a natural free market, companies that are able to hold prices lower should be able to get more marker share with similar product.  It is shocking price comparing at Costco vs. a few years ago... products are pretty much up 10% over 2 years.  Under a regime of 2% inflation, it took 5 years to raise prices 10%.

Anyone actually buying things know that the supply change has recovered. I bought extra lagre eggs 18 for $2.04 the other week when last year they were $5.00/18. So prices are coming down while some corporations are still contributing to inflation by not lowering prices when they could and I call that greed not inflation. Democrats need to talk about corporate greed as the cause of inflation instead of prices are going up, what can we do handwringing.

• Thumb up 2

Has anyone noticed that the stock market is up, inflation has reduced 11 straight months and is half of what it was a year ago, unemployment is still low and that much talked about recession still has not happened?  Put that with getting the debt ceiling deal done in time and I'd say Old Joe is having a pretty good month.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Anyone actually buying things know that the supply change has recovered. I bought extra lagre eggs 18 for $2.04 the other week when last year they were $5.00/18. So prices are coming down while some corporations are still contributing to inflation by not lowering prices when they could and I call that greed not inflation. Democrats need to talk about corporate greed as the cause of inflation instead of prices are going up, what can we do handwringing.

Fwiw the poultry industry dealt with the deadliest outbreak of bird flu since 2014, last year. That is most likely what caused egg prices to spike. 

That said, I'm truly not sure what can be done by Biden to deal with inflation. Especially since he has a opposing problemmatic and non-functional House and a sometimes cooperative Senate that is at the whims of 2 rogue Dem Senators. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw the poultry industry dealt with the deadliest outbreak of bitd flu since 2014 last year. That is most likely what caused egg prices to spike. 

That said, I'm truly not sure what can be done by Biden to deal with inflation. Especially since he has a oppsi g problemmatic ans non-functional House and a sometimes cooperative Senate that is at the whims of 2 rogue Dem Senators. 

Yeah that was in April and the prices magically went back to normal 2 months later.  I'm skeptical that they could grow enough hens in that short amount of time to create the supply needed to drop prices so drastically.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah that was in April and the prices magically went back to normal 2 months later.  I'm skeptical that they could grow enough hens in that short amount of time to create the supply needed to drop prices so drastically.  

Demand drops post Easter every year. Supply increased from pre Easter due to some of the 52 million hens lost being replaced. 

Edit...also people generally buy less when prices are higher than normal, thus decreasing demand. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Demand drops post Easter every year. Supply increased from pre Easter due to some of the 52 million hens lost being replaced. 

Edit...also people generally buy less when prices are higher than normal, thus decreasing demand. 

I don't think the demand dropped that much to make such a drastic reduction in prices so quickly. I don't know anyone who stopped buying eggs and Easter was pretty much a one week bump.  I mean it's less than half now and even though I know there was a virus that killed a lot of hens I don't see how it's possible to tick up supply so much it resulted in such a sharp reduction in price.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

I used eggs as an example of an industry that recovered and reduced prices to normal. A lot of corporations haven't done that yet, the price of beef makes a once a month ribeye out of my budget still. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where price gouging is still happening unnecessarily. Take for instance interest rates, those can go back down now. But they're not and that would help. Banks and financial services gotta grift.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

10 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Well, now, I have heard that hormones excreted from women using birth control might be causing fish to exhibit both male and female characteristics. 

Emphasis on "might be".