Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

You do realize the combined net worth of Harris and Rales is about the same as Jerry Jones and he happens to be the 3rd richest owner. For the life of me I don't understand why people think Harris and Rales can't afford to purchase the team.

No, I didn't realize it. I thought the NFL was going to let Snyder sell only 5% of the team because Harris and Rales are poor paupers and the only one who can afford the team's asking price is Big Daddy Bezos. My bad.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Exactly. He paid $150 million. The last two sales have gone to the two wealthiest owners in the NFL. Walton and Tepper. Price of entry is hitting the $20B net worth level at these prices.

Forbes estimates Tepper's worth to be 16.7 billion. Some people here would say that is not enough to buy the Commanders. SMH

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

Forbes estimates Tepper's worth to be 16.7 billion. Some people here would say that is not enough to buy the Commanders. SMH

He might have to get more creative to buy the commaders for sure. He paid 2.25 billion for the Panthers. Harris or Rales obviously can’t do it on their own.  It’s actually enjoyable watching these multi billionaires look like peasants and paupers when it comes to buying an NFL team. The economics have completely changed. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Super rich people don't actually pay full price for things.

One of the secrets of how really rich people get even richer is they often are able to buy businesses without using any of their own money. They leverage the debt onto the books of the company they just bought and have it paid off by that business. That impacts the balance sheet and net income from that business - but assuming there are strong enough cash flow and EBITA to cover the servicing of that debt our hypothetical rich person just got an asset that is growing in value (and which adds to their net worth) without (sometimes) needing to put in a cent of their own money.

They can do this because investment financers are willing to put up the money to buy the asset because of all the net worth the person making the purchase has. They are a 'good risk'.  If I walked into a meeting and asked if I could borrow $1B to buy a business it would be a short conversation, if its someone worth $50B in owned assets asking that question its very very different.  

The NFL stops fully leveraged buyouts - their rules insist the lead buyer puts in at least 30% and limits debt to $1B. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Getting legitimately into the process of bidding for an NFL team (contracting an investment bank, signing an NDA, etc.) is the ONLY way almost anyone on earth can actually get a look at an NFL team’s books. I think Bezos is interested on some level in owning an NFL team. I won’t pretend to be able to say if Washington or Seattle would appeal to him more, in a vacuum (and I know this situation doesn’t exist in a vacuum). 

But I’m not willing to rule out that Bezos, as a media partner of the league, may also be equally interested in an in-depth look at an NFL team’s precious financials. There’s a mountain of information to learn—even from Snyder’s unhealthy books. 

I’m not saying that as some sort of conspiracy. I agree there’s still a good chance he puts in a winning bid. I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised to find out later that Harris/Rales was the only “real” legitimate interest there ever was—because I don’t think it’s absurd that Bezos contracted the bank he did and signed the NDA he did just to get a look at the books of an NFL team, for various reasons. Maybe even in service to a potential future Seahawks bid, sure. But there are very few things beyond the reach of a guy like Bezos. Real, open NFL financials, even completely botched failson franchise numbers, are one of those things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Getting legitimately into the process of bidding for an NFL team (contracting an investment bank, signing an NDA, etc.) is the ONLY way almost anyone on earth can actually get a look at an NFL team’s books. I think Bezos is interested on some level in owning an NFL team. I won’t pretend to be able to say if Washington or Seattle would appeal to him more, in a vacuum (and I know this situation doesn’t exist in a vacuum). 

But I’m not willing to rule out that Bezos, as a media partner of the league, may also be equally interested in an in-depth look at an NFL team’s precious financials. There’s a mountain of information to learn—even from Snyder’s unhealthy books. 

I’m not saying that as some sort of conspiracy. I agree there’s still a good chance he puts in a winning bid. I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised to find out later that Harris/Rales was the only “real” legitimate interest there ever was—because I don’t think it’s absurd that Bezos contracted the bank he did and signed the NDA he did just to get a look at the books of an NFL team, for various reasons. Maybe even in service to a potential future Seahawks bid, sure. But there are very few things beyond the reach of a guy like Bezos. Real, open NFL financials, even completely botched failson franchise numbers, are one of those things. 

If any of this speculation is accurate why did he pass on even looking at the Broncos sale? That was run by Allen and Company company who Bezos has a relationship with through the Washington Post purchase. He would have had access in great detail to those books but chose to pass. 

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

One of the secrets of how really rich people get even richer is they often are able to buy businesses without using any of their own money. They leverage the debt onto the books of the company they just bought and have it paid off by that business. That impacts the balance sheet and net income from that business - but assuming there are strong enough cash flow and EBITA to cover the servicing of that debt our hypothetical rich person just got an asset that is growing in value (and which adds to their net worth) without (sometimes) needing to put in a cent of their own money.

They can do this because investment financers are willing to put up the money to buy the asset because of all the net worth the person making the purchase has. They are a 'good risk'.  If I walked into a meeting and asked if I could borrow $1B to buy a business it would be a short conversation, if its someone worth $50B in owned assets asking that question its very very different.  

The NFL stops fully leveraged buyouts - their rules insist the lead buyer puts in at least 30% and limits debt to $1B. 

Yep. That’s it right there. Great post.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That is unless your name is Daniel Snyder and you're just a dumbass.

26 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

That is unless your name is Daniel Snyder and you're just a dumbass.

Very very true. Sometimes people get rich (and richer) just through dumb luck or being in the right place at the right time.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Very very true. Sometimes people get rich 9and richer) just through dumb luck or being in the right place at the right time.

The rift with Fred Smith and Dwight Schar is the best example of this. The NFL ended up backing Dan, burying the Wilkerson report and allowing him a debt waiver to buyout those guys when interest was at an all time low. His $900 million leveraged buyout of those guys is turning into $2.5 billion plus sale in a 24 month span when nearly every other market has seen a big correction during that time span. 

Bobby Three Sticks has chimed in...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/robert-griffin-iii-teases-ownership-stake-in-commanders-says-fans-will-throw-a-parade-if-dan-snyder-sells/

"At the end of the day, the fans ... they will throw a parade when Dan Snyder sells the team," Griffin said.

(Will he bring the melting vanilla ice cream, or the stale Braniff airline peanuts?)

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

3 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Bobby Three Sticks has chimed in...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/robert-griffin-iii-teases-ownership-stake-in-commanders-says-fans-will-throw-a-parade-if-dan-snyder-sells/

"At the end of the day, the fans ... they will throw a parade when Dan Snyder sells the team," Griffin said.

(Will he bring the melting vanilla ice cream, or the stale Braniff airline peanuts?)

Nah he’ll bring Lamar Jackson. That’s the only reason Harris has befriended RG3, right?

22 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If any of this speculation is accurate why did he pass on even looking at the Broncos sale? That was run by Allen and Company company who Bezos has a relationship with through the Washington Post purchase. He would have had access in great detail to those books but chose to pass. 

I said I believe he does have a level of interest in this team, which was obviously not true with the Broncos. That doesn’t mean his level of interest is “like it love it gotta have it!” His potential interest in the team, if he likes what he sees, could be a contributing factor to his general interest in the books. The assumption that there’s nothing he could see in the books that would make him go “ehhh I’ll pass” is just that imo—an assumption. He’s a cutthroat businessman. An NFL team might not be as profitable as he thought, even after cutting through the Snyder idiocy and explainable issues with the franchise’s financials. Or I’m wrong and he’s going to swoop in with the winning bid like you think. I’m open to that.

I’m simply arguing that contracting a banker to explore the sale and the financials, and signing the NDA, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s 100% in on the idea of the purchase sight unseen. That’s a reckless assumption that is making a lot of people in here see Bezos as a foregone conclusion imo. 

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m simply arguing that contracting a banker to explore the sale and the financials, and signing the NDA, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s 100% in on the idea of the purchase sight unseen. That’s a reckless assumption that is making a lot of people in here see Bezos as a foregone conclusion imo. 

I agree.

Plus the assumption is that he’s cash rich and will simply plough money in to buy the team. He’ll want investors. And, without straying out of Stadium talk, this may not be the right economic time for Bezos to bail several Billion out of Amazon to fund this. Low market value. Talk he is heading back to CEO this year. Plenty of business related variables.

I’d happily take him though :ols: it’s just not a financial given IMO.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

You previously said the value was in the books in the post before this one. When I pointed out that he passed in the Broncos, you are now speculating well he wants the team but do we really know if he wants it. 

For the sake of argument, let’s assume he is 100% all-in on buying this team. Name a single thing he would have done differently in this process that has been reported so far. I don’t think there is anything. 

We are then left with the fact that he previously tried to buy a 40% minority stake in this team. It has been reported he met with and partnered with Jay Z to buy this team. He hired the the firm who processed the previous two NFL franchise sales and he entered into an NDA with Dan through BofA to potentially buy this team. 

Those are the reported facts. Yet you are speculating that he is not really interested and to assume otherwise is reckless. I think it’s laughable that anyone sees this anything but inevitable.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MartinC said:

They leverage the debt onto the books of the company they just bought and have it paid off by that business. That impacts the balance sheet and net income from that business - but assuming there are strong enough cash flow and EBITA to cover the servicing of that debt our hypothetical rich person just got an asset that is growing in value

Goodwill is in play for anyone who makes an acquisition where purchase price exceeds assets, not just the super rich.

I come across this quite frequently and I don't write debt for billionaires, unfortunately.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Goodwill is in play for anyone who makes an acquisition where purchase price exceeds assets, not just the super rich.

I come across this quite frequently and I don't write debt for billionaires, unfortunately.

Absolutely - but goodwill right down is different to fully leveraged purchase of an asset . As you say goodwill is the difference between the price agreed for the business and the actual value of the assets of that business - and its normally capitalized. How the whole purchase (including any goodwill) is financed is where people with very high net worth can make that work for them in arranging finance which does not require any 9or maybe only marginal) actual money in from them.

But this is starting to feel more like a business school lecture, or actual work 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

Absolutely - but goodwill right down is different to fully leveraged purchase of an asset . As you say goodwill is the difference between the price agreed for the business and the actual value of the assets of that business - and its normally capitalized. How the whole purchase (including any goodwill) is financed is where people with very high net worth can make that work for them in arranging finance which does not require any 9or maybe only marginal) actual money in from them.

But this is starting to feel more like a business school lecture, or actual work 🙂

Yeah I'm already aware that I'm dumb, please stop emphasizing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I'm learning so much about how to properly handle my estate in the future when I have billions upon billions of dollars.

If only the mystery billionaire who died recently had an heir pay 7 billion in estate taxes had read this ES thread before passing. Could have saved more than the purchase price of the Commanders! 

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In reality, the purchase of an NFL franchise isn’t quite the norm is it. The biggest challenge here is meeting the league set purchase criteria re % cash, % debt etc. It’s just about getting in the door. 

This is part business, part toy, part ego stimulator. 

• Like 1