Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Jacoby named semi finalist for the Hall of Fame

Koolblue13

It is almost a crime that Jacoby isnt in the Hall. 

• 69,031: Redskins' total offensive yards during Jacoby's tenure (1981-93 seasons), fourth-most in the NFL
  • 43,444: Redskins' passing yards during Jacoby's tenure (1981-93 seasons), fifth-most in the NFL
  • 25,587: Redskins' rushing yards during Jacoby's tenure (1981-93 seasons), fifth-most in the NFL
  • 6,253: Team record for total offensive yards, set by Jacoby's 1989 squad
  • 389: Sacks allowed by the Redskins as a team during Jacoby's tenure (1981-93 seasons), second-fewest in the NFL
  • 332: Players selected in the 1981 NFL Draft. Jacoby was not one of them, instead beginning his NFL career as a college free agent.
  • 170: Career regular season games played
  • 21: Career postseason games played, most in team history
  • 9: Sacks allowed by the Redskins during their 1991 Super Bowl campaign, still the franchise record for fewest sacks allowed in a single season
  • 4: Consecutive Pro Bowl berths from 1983-86
  • 3: Super Bowl titles, blocking for three different quarterbacks in those contests
  • 1 Career touchdown (fumble recovery vs. Minnesota in 1984)
    Jacoby's path to enshirement now goes through the senior nomination route.

https://www.commanders.com/news/the-numbers-back-up-his-case-joe-jacoby-deserves-to-be-in-the-pro-footb-20334693

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a few observations, and a couple facts. 

Jim Covert, the LT for the Bears for 8 seasons, 2x pro bowler, 2x AP All Pro, made the HOF a year or 2 ago. His team made it to 1 SB. Their defense was what they won with. Walter Payton was great when Covert was there, he was also great before he was there. The Bears offense didn't set any records, their QB didn't blow teams out and were sacked 43 times their 1 SB year. How many of those were on Covert? I'm not saying that he was clearly inferior to Jacoby but none of those numbers add up. Jacoby is credited with 4 Pro Bowls (82-85) and 2 AP All Pros (83-84) and started on 4 Super Bowl teams, 2 of which broke SB rushing records, but the AP isn't the only place that handed out All Pros either.

"Beginning in 1955, the Newspaper Enterprise Association, under the guidance of Murray Olderman, poll NFL players annually for an All-Pro team.[30][31] In addition, the NEA awarded a Rookie of the Year, a Most Valuable Player (1955–2008), and a Defensive Player of the Year (George Halas Trophy; 1966–1998). All were published in the NFL Record and Fact Book alongside the Associated Press, United Press International, and the Pro Football Writers Association All-Pro teams and awards.  The NEA last announced an All-Pro team in 1992, ending a 38-year tradition of the "player's All-Pro Team".  Newspaper Enterprise Association - Wikipedia

In 1987 Joe Jacoby and Jackie Slater (HOF) were chosen among their peers as the Tackle All Pros according to NEA. The AP selected Zimmerman and Munoz, both are in the HOF. The next time somebody says "Well, he only made All Pro twice" Tell them that's not true. I only looked into 1 of the other All Pro voting lists. There's still the UPI, PFWA, PFW, and TSN that I didn't check.

Also, the 1991 OL only gave up 9 sacks. 2 of them were when Jeff Rutledge mopped up the final game of the season. Jacoby started all 16 games at RT that year. He started at LT the other 2 SB winning years. 3 rings, how many do those other guys have. You can't say that it doesn't count for something. Who did Riggins get the block from VS the Dolphins? Who was the LT when Timmy (WHO???) Smith broke Marcus Allens SB rushing record? None of those other Tackles from the 80's can claim anything like that because they weren't even there! Munoz lost 2 Super Bowls to the 49ers. Zimmerman's team couldn't get anything done in the playoffs. Jacoby was the starting LT for 8 years missing only 5 of those games. Covert missed almost 20 in his only 8 seasons. Jacoby had a 2nd career at RT.

Also, Jacoby was on the All 80's team. How many times have we heard so and so player being disrespected because he's the only one left out from the all decade team? Well, Jacoby is the only Tackle on that team that isn't in the HOF. NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1980s - OFFENSE | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site (profootballhof.com)

I'm sure that I could keep finding stuff but that's already quite a bit for one post. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Just a few observations, and a couple facts. 

Jim Covert, the LT for the Bears for 8 seasons, 2x pro bowler, 2x AP All Pro, made the HOF a year or 2 ago. His team made it to 1 SB. Their defense was what they won with. Walter Payton was great when Covert was there, he was also great before he was there. The Bears offense didn't set any records, their QB didn't blow teams out and were sacked 43 times their 1 SB year. How many of those were on Covert? I'm not saying that he was clearly inferior to Jacoby but none of those numbers add up. Jacoby is credited with 4 Pro Bowls (82-85) and 2 AP All Pros (83-84) and started on 4 Super Bowl teams, 2 of which broke SB rushing records, but the AP isn't the only place that handed out All Pros either.

"Beginning in 1955, the Newspaper Enterprise Association, under the guidance of Murray Olderman, poll NFL players annually for an All-Pro team.[30][31] In addition, the NEA awarded a Rookie of the Year, a Most Valuable Player (1955–2008), and a Defensive Player of the Year (George Halas Trophy; 1966–1998). All were published in the NFL Record and Fact Book alongside the Associated Press, United Press International, and the Pro Football Writers Association All-Pro teams and awards.  The NEA last announced an All-Pro team in 1992, ending a 38-year tradition of the "player's All-Pro Team".  Newspaper Enterprise Association - Wikipedia

In 1987 Joe Jacoby and Jackie Slater (HOF) were chosen among their peers as the Tackle All Pros according to NEA. The AP selected Zimmerman and Munoz, both are in the HOF. The next time somebody says "Well, he only made All Pro twice" Tell them that's not true. I only looked into 1 of the other All Pro voting lists. There's still the UPI, PFWA, PFW, and TSN that I didn't check.

Also, the 1991 OL only gave up 9 sacks. 2 of them were when Jeff Rutledge mopped up the final game of the season. Jacoby started all 16 games at RT that year. He started at LT the other 2 SB winning years. 3 rings, how many do those other guys have. You can't say that it doesn't count for something. Who did Riggins get the block from VS the Dolphins? Who was the LT when Timmy (WHO???) Smith broke Marcus Allens SB rushing record? None of those other Tackles from the 80's can claim anything like that because they weren't even there! Munoz lost 2 Super Bowls to the 49ers. Zimmerman's team couldn't get anything done in the playoffs. Jacoby was the starting LT for 8 years missing only 5 of those games. Covert missed almost 20 in his only 8 seasons. Jacoby had a 2nd career at RT.

Also, Jacoby was on the All 80's team. How many times have we heard so and so player being disrespected because he's the only one left out from the all decade team? Well, Jacoby is the only Tackle on that team that isn't in the HOF. NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1980s - OFFENSE | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site (profootballhof.com)

I'm sure that I could keep finding stuff but that's already quite a bit for one post. 

Not to mention that JJ more than held his own vs the likes of LT and Reggie White, both HOFers. All of your points are spot on....John Madden loved JJ and the Hogs and I'm sure he'd have JJ in the Hall if he had a vote. The HOF is a popularity contest....JJ helped form the most dominant offensive line in the history of the sport.

• Like 1

I'm still a little surprised (only a little, mind you), than when the voters "relented" in '08 to let Monk in when Green went, that they didn't just let Jacoby sneak in too. Canton was already going to be a takeover, just quietly slip in another dude from the same team that's been denied long enough, and just let us enjoy it.

But nah, that would've made too much sense, I guess.

• Like 1