Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Danny Johnson didn't have a good preseason.  In fact it was bad before last night and then last night he was involved in that long TD the Ravens got.  But with Danny Johnson you do have a four year track record of him being a backup that has been serviceable in regular season NFL games.   I'd like to upgrade the depth at corner because all upgrades are good, but I am not going to overweight the Danny Johnson's poor preseason when he has a decent sample size to work off of

I think that's fair. I could see him on the PS or sitting home and coming back during the season. Same with Neil, but I don't see either guy making the 53 to start the season. I'm guessing Holmes and Corn.

28 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think there's gotta be a more useful/promising WR in final cuts from another team that makes more sense than  keeping Brown around, even as a WR6.  I've reached the 'cut our losses' stage with him.

I don't think you can cut a third round pick after just one year. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think you can cut a third round pick after just one year. 

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it if the staff feels he hasn’t shown much growth since last year.  And there are the added questions of 1) does he deserve it over another player?, and 2) will he help on ST?  I’m not convinced he’s shown the type of potential that you’d feel compelled to essentially stash him for (another) year.

I’ll also say that I’m not sure I agree with those of the opinion that he’d get scooped up in a heartbeat… It’s certainly possible, but getting cut after one year hurts his stock and the game film doesn’t help much.

To be clear, I think he probably makes it.

37 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it if the staff feels he hasn’t shown much growth since last year.  And there are the added questions of 1) does he deserve it over another player?, and 2) will he help on ST?  I’m not convinced he’s shown the type of potential that you’d feel compelled to essentially stash him for (another) year.

I’ll also say that I’m not sure I agree with those of the opinion that he’d get scooped up in a heartbeat… It’s certainly possible, but getting cut after one year hurts his stock and the game film doesn’t help much.

To be clear, I think he probably makes it.

I think its only a question of who they replace him with. I don't think anybody who played last night replaces him (except Miline if they keep 5). But if there's a cut at WR from another team that is somebody they wanted I can see them cutting him to bring in the new guy. But not for an UDFA who come a dime a doze

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think its only a question of who they replace him with. I don't think anybody who played last night replaces him (except Miline if they keep 5). But if there's a cut at WR from another team that is somebody they wanted I can see them cutting him to bring in the new guy. But not for an UDFA who come a dime a doze

Well, not long ago the debate was a matter of keeping a 6th receiver who was a returner.  If Milne has leapfrogged Brown, then there’s not really (necessarily) a need for a 6th receiver.

And so, to one of my previous points, it becomes a matter of keeping Brown as a 6th/inactive receiver* or keeping a 4th TE/back, 10th olineman, or even a defensive guy (Reaves/Parker/Toney/WBK, etc).

*if this is how the staff views him (and if the staff hasn’t seen much growth).  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim, he thinks they keep 5 safeties.

He thinks if all the TEs are healthy, A. Rogers beats Blanton out for the 4th spot. 

I think they may go 4 TE also, because of need right now and it'll definitely be Rogers.

I also think they keep Wes Martin on the 53, because we almost lost him to Jax already this offseason.

6WR also. Might mean 26 on offense, which I suppose they can do with only going 4 at LBer.

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I also think they keep Wes Martin on the 53

Wes Martin is a very serviceable backup, so I definitely see him making the roster and one of the other bubble guys getting cut.

I feel like we have some great depth along the O-line this year, and with Matsko's coaching, it will be a bright spot on the team.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Why didn't we? Did he decide to sign with us at the last minute ala JD McKissic?

Yep. he pulled a McKissic. Jax reported that they were signing him and next thing I knew, he was on our roster again.

3 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Don’t see running backs, do you?

:ols:  I didn't even think about it, because it feels so cut and dry.  :ols:

Listened to Keim on Bram's show then the Keim podcast with Bram on it.  And I'll sprinkle other things Keim has said before that flows with these points.

A.  Wentz came on after his struggles early in camp, so they are feeling good about that.

B.  Their concern is the defense -- not just their third down struggles but struggles to create turnovers

C.  This D line isn't the Giants D line of years ago that can bring consistent pressure with 4 guys where you can drop the others into coverage and have your cake and eat it too.  They learned last year that you need to blitz to help this D line.  They believe they will do so this year again.

D.  LB and CB might be upgraded via other teams cuts

E.  They talked some about Dyami's struggles in camp -- hands are sketchy and he doesn't fight for the ball at to contested catches the way others do on the roster.  They think he makes the roster but might not always be active

F.  Curtis Samuel brings an important wrinkle to this offense which they think makes a major impact.

G.  Bram thinks the Eagles are the runaway favorite to win the division and maybe advance deep into the playoffs

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Keim on Bram's show then the Keim podcast with Bram on it.  And I'll sprinkle other things Keim has said before that flows with these points.

A.  Wentz came on after his struggles early in camp, so they are feeling good about that.

B.  Their concern is the defense -- not just their third down struggles but struggles to create turnovers

C.  This D line isn't the Giants D line of years ago that can bring consistent pressure with 4 guys where you can drop the others into coverage and have your cake and eat it too.  They learned last year that you need to blitz to help this D line.  They believe they will do so this year again.

D.  LB and CB might be upgraded via other teams cuts

E.  They talked some about Dyami's struggles in camp -- hands are sketchy and he doesn't fight for the ball at to contested catches the way others do on the roster.  They think he makes the roster but might not always be active

F.  Curtis Samuel brings an important wrinkle to this offense which they think makes a major impact.

G.  Bram thinks the Eagles are the runaway favorite to win the division and maybe advance deep into the playoffs

As well as other positions possibly too.  What those positions are I don't know.  There is better talent that will be cut than what we have on this team.  We shall see.