Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

People are too over reactive on Jamin because we took him in the first. I understand that first rounders need to pan out and understand some frustration for the FO for that move… but Jamin didn’t pick himself. He was still a raw outside backer in college who is hyper athletic that they tried in the wrong kind of role at first.

He was always going to take time. Despite being a first rounder.

And he still is going to take time. 

But patience is a virtue with raw players.

I feel ya on this. JD is all about potential. The cost to get him is a sunk cost, whether it was a 1st or UDFA. But if he wasn't a 1st round pick,  would we have held on to him simply due to his "potential?"  I'm rooting for the guy, and love me some impactful LB play. (childhood idols were Chris Hanberger and (eagle) Bill Bergey.) Just hoping that he takes a significant step forward this year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I feel ya on this. JD is all about potential. The cost to get him is a sunk cost, whether it was a 1st or UDFA. But if he wasn't a 1st round pick,  would we have held on to him simply due to his "potential?"  I'm rooting for the guy, and love me some impactful LB play. (childhood idols were Chris Hanberger and (eagle) Bill Bergey.) Just hoping that he takes a significant step forward this year.

Of course we would have held onto him if he was say a 5th round pick.  You are talking about a guy who is 6'3 235 pounds, runs a 4.47 and is either or best or second best Linebacker in coverage and pass rushing.  Yeah, he is pretty meh against the run but it sounds like he is making some progress there in practice.   An analogy may be Percy Butler, our fourth round draft pick at safety who runs a 4.36 and has good athleticism.  We are holding onto Butler despite the fact that he is raw and probably won't be ready to start until year 2 or 3.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 4

Listened to Derrick Forrest just now on 980, good interview, well spoken guy and enthusaistic.  The main thing I liked is I recall an interview after he was drafted where he labeled himself a special teams guy first and seemed to waffle when asked if he can play FS.  This time he said he's comfortable everywhere on the field.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Gibson on return duties isn’t the best idea. I wonder if he’s really struggling to break the RB depth chart without another avenue to help the team. 

I mean lets get real.

Even if you've decided Robinson shows so much promise in the traditional running back role, it'd be stupid not to figure out ways to get the ball in Gibson's hands even if you don't want him between the tackles anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I mean lets get real.

Even if you've decided Robinson shows so much promise in the traditional running back role, it'd be stupid not to figure out ways to get the ball in Gibson's hands even if you don't want him between the tackles anymore.

Agree, might help in the overall composition of the roster as well if he does returns.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kick returns could be the thing that saves Gibsons career. 3rd down back and return guy is a pretty great role for him.

PT on offense used correctly and STer is perfect.

Gibson, Samuels, Dotson are all pretty dynamic returners.

I dont know how i feel about taking Gibson who has an uncorrected fumbling problem, and putting him on STs as a returner. Sounds like a disaster.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kick returns could be the thing that saves Gibsons career. 3rd down back and return guy is a pretty great role for him.

PT on offense used correctly and STer is perfect.

Gibson, Samuels, Dotson are all pretty dynamic returners.

Isn't McKissic our third down back?

6 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

I dont know how i feel about taking Gibson who has an uncorrected fumbling problem, and putting him on STs as a returner. Sounds like a disaster.

No.

He returned kicks in college. He didn't take handoffs and run between the tackles on a down to down basis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

I am 100% over the Gibby experiment. Don't get me wrong. I'd be fine never hearing about him again, but at this point in careers, he has less fumbles than AP amd Hersel Walker, so it's not completely impossible for it to change. 

But yes, defense forces a punt, Gibby takes it 15 yards and coughs it up and the other team scores? Yeah, that worries me. I expect him to fumble and not hit holes at this point and I appreciate him reminding us immediately that he does that.

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

Isn't McKissic our third down back?

Yes, why? I was talking about his career. 

• Like 1

Gibson has trade bait written all over him if BRob is gonna be the lead back and if they like Jonathon Williams to make the team. It wouldn't surprise me if we're taking calls on him and move him for a LB. When is he up for a new contract...that could be a factor as well. I'm not giving up on him but BRob was drafted for a reason....to play.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1