Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your expectations for this season?

Reddskins1

24 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

This morning on Team 980 radio Sheehan was talking with Ben Standig and he asked if this coming season will be a referendum on Rivera and they both concluded

that this season will affect Rivera's future big time.  If things go south though they are not sure what action Snyder might take.  They also said that Rivera has been outspoken

in saying that he expect the team to be much better in year 3 of his tenure.  I believe we needed a professional General Manager and let him just coach the team.  But if we do

not make the playoffs and have a losing record then Ron could be headed for his home in California before his five year contract expires.

I know the amount of money Rivera is being paid (has that every been officially been reported?) factors into the equation, but "things going south" would have to mean REALLY going south, IMO. After winning the division in 2015, Snyder kept Jay on for three blah seasons before the abysmal start to 2019 really left him no choice. Gruden would NEVER have been given that long under the first decade of Snyder's ownership.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I would be amazed if Rivera was fired. 

I wouldn't.  His first two seasons have resulted in losing records (save for the fluke division title).  If he can't get this team to 9 or 10 wins, then he should be fired.  In today's NFL, there's no excuse for a head coach to have three consecutive losing seasons, especially a coach that was just hired.  This offseason and the moves we've made make this the ultimate show me season for Rivera.  He took a big swing for a QB the general public thinks negatively of, and he gave up assets that he might not have needed to give up in order to get him.  The trade will determine whether or not Rivera will see a 4th season as Washington HC.  If they can't get to 9 wins, then it's time to let him and the FO go.  No excuses.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This offseason and the moves we've made make this the ultimate show me season for Rivera. 

We’ve done **** all apart from get Wentz. Or did I miss those half a dozen major free agent acquisitions?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, samy316 said:

In today's NFL, there's no excuse for a head coach to have three consecutive losing seasons

For Rivera, this would be 5 in a row but I don't see him getting fired because who would replace him?

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

For Rivera, this would be 5 in a row but I don't see him getting fired because who would replace him?

Jay = Norv

Ron = Marty

Ron's replacement = hotshot college coach

Hotshot college coach's replacement = 90 year old Gibbs because why not

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Jay = Norv

Ron = Marty

Ron's replacement = hotshot college coach

Hotshot college coach's replacement = 90 year old Gibbs because why not

Dan doesn’t have the money to lure the next failed hotshot college coach.

Ron’s successor is Jim Zorn 2. 

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Doesn’t matter who replaces him, the point is that mediocrity shouldn’t be rewarded with more seasons of mediocrity.  If Ron can’t get the team to at least a winning season in his 3rd year, then what’s the chances that he will in year 4 or beyond?  Take a look around the NFL, teams have winning seasons way more often then we do.  The goal is not to be content, but to build towards a winning culture.  We haven’t won 11 games in 30 years (Every Team in the NFL has won at least 11 games since 1991), and we’re one of 4 teams to not make a conference championship since 1991.  At some point, it gets really hard to be this bad for this period of time.  Ron was brought here to develop a winning culture, and to win games.  At some point he needs to stop talking about it, and start doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Yeah, I totally agree but Snyder has been such a POS over the past 20+ years, who in their right mind would take the job and would actually be a better option?

He's never going to have a legit FO setup either. It's all just a joke. RR is probably the best option to at least keep the team winning 6-10 games every year and maybe get "close" every once in a while too. 

This team was a pathetic joke for years and while we haven't been great the first two years of Ron, we've at least played mostly respectable football and been a tough .500 team.

There would have to be a monumental collapse for us fire him. Player revolt, 3 wins or less, just full of on field mistakes for that to happen. 

Wentz will completely change our offense for the better and if something happens to him, we have hope with Howell.

Zero chance for Ron to be fired for a few more years and I'd imagine that he'd step into the FO more, before that ever happens.

• Like 4

Feels like a 10-7 team to me.  I think Ron at a minimum finishes his contract.  And I think he's more likely to retire early ala Gibbs versus Dan firing him.

I think the next coach on the off chance Ron is fired is Zorn Part 2.  This is the Siberia right now of the NFL, they aren't IMO attracting top candidates.  I don't think they'd have landed Ron if all the stuff that happened in the last 2 years happened when Dan was hiring. 

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This team was a pathetic joke for years and while we haven't been great the first two years of Ron, we've at least played mostly respectable football and been a tough .500 team.

There would have to be a monumental collapse for us fire him. Player revolt, 3 wins or less, just full of on field mistakes for that to happen. 

Wentz will completely change our offense for the better and if something happens to him, we have hope with Howell.

Zero chance for Ron to be fired for a few more years and I'd imagine that he'd step into the FO more, before that ever happens.

Ding Ding we have a winner...This reply is spot on!!!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Reddskins1 said:

Ding Ding we have a winner...This reply is spot on!!!

There are a couple of Ron haters on this board that will dump on him even if we win a superbowl. They'll make some absurd comment and down the rabbit hole we go. 

• Like 1

I don't think Ron should be fired if we don't have a good season, but I think it's possible he will be. We all know how Dan is. I fear he'd have a hissy fit and then boot Ron out the door without having any plan ready to replace him. Then we'd end up settling for another mediocre cast-off who will then be replaced again in another 3 years after 3 dismal seasons. Rinse, repeat.

I think our only hope is having a winning season.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Ron should be fired if we don't have a good season, but I think it's possible he will be. We all know how Dan is. I fear he'd have a hissy fit and then boot Ron out the door without having any plan ready to replace him. Then we'd end up settling for another mediocre cast-off who will then be replaced again in another 3 years after 3 dismal seasons. Rinse, repeat.

With the news of a 55,000 seat stadium out of spite to the eventual next owner, it's possible he fires Ron on his way out the door I suppose, but I think having Ron behind him is his only saving grace right now. Rons an NFL darling and Dan needs him.

Schedule lines up so well for this team to succeed.  I really see an 11 win team even if our defense is middling.  I think a real pivotal point for RR has been the emphasis on offense and skill players.  We have a defensive coach that is realizing we aren't winning with just scoring a few points and having a strong defense.

Unless we get hit with a string of key injuries or the defense completely poops the bed, this team should pivot this year.

Note:  IMO the defense is the weak link this year

I expect no less than 10 - 7 with legit wins over Philly and Dallas in the division while sweeping NYG. I expect our RB's to break out big time and our passing game to have tons of wrinkles that exploit matchup advantages. 

Defensively I expect a pro bowl season from Chase and Allen with Curl possibly going too. 

Win a playoff game and see what happens. We must stay healthy.

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

With the news of a 55,000 seat stadium out of spite to the eventual next owner, it's possible he fires Ron on his way out the door I suppose, but I think having Ron behind him is his only saving grace right now. Rons an NFL darling and Dan needs him.

True, but Dan is also a moron and a slave to his own ego and narcissism. Cutting his own nose off to spite his face is pretty much SOP for Dan. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Rinse and repeat? What od you think the entire Snyder era has been?

I expect a return to more Dan involvement. He even said himself, he will be more involved.

Every post Gibbs 2 got fired and Ron and his successors will be fired. When he pulls the plug on Ron and it will happen after the 22 or 23 season; of course, he will hire the puppett- Jim Zorn 2. Dan will assume GM duties and draft Dwayne Haskins 2; as the next QB. This time Tanya will give advise on the QB.  DH2 and JZ2 will both suck and in 2 years; they will be gone. Dan will then hire the next retread Mike Shannahan 2 and Brucifer 2. We will draft the next RG3-part 2. Have a great rookie season before it comes all down.

Rinse and repeat, forever! Well, as long as Dan owns the team.

Even if Dan is forced to sell; I don't see that happening for 3-5 years or longer.

17 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Rinse and repeat? What od you think the entire Snyder era has been?

I expect a return to more Dan involvement. He even said himself, he will be more involved.

Every post Gibbs 2 got fired and Ron and his successors will be fired. When he pulls the plug on Ron and it will happen after the 22 or 23 season; of course, he will hire the puppett- Jim Zorn 2. Dan will assume GM duties and draft Dwayne Haskins 2; as the next QB. This time Tanya will give advise on the QB.  DH2 and JZ2 will both suck and in 2 years; they will be gone. Dan will then hire the next retread Mike Shannahan 2 and Brucifer 2. We will draft the next RG3-part 2. Have a great rookie season before it comes all down.

Rinse and repeat, forever! Well, as long as Dan owns the team.

Even if Dan is forced to sell; I don't see that happening for 3-5 years or longer.

You may be right, history is the best predictor of the future as they say, but I don't think Dan will find a better face of the franchise than RR and he needs as many credible people surrounding him as he can get. He is very fortunate that RR agreed to take the job in the first place given all the turmoil Dan created. I actually see RR resigning before getting fired but time will tell. RR is creating a good culture of players, next thing he needs is the wins to follow. 

I was telling a friend today that every time we've had a legit QB we've looked good to really good. I'm taking Alex Smith in 2020 when he was 4-1, Alex Smith in 2018 at 6-3, Kirk at his 6-2 starts. RG3 with his 10-6 years, Brunell with his year, heck even Campbell. Go back to Brad Johnson.

I'm expecting big things this year. I'm saying 12 wins. I think people are purposely unfolding how good we'll be. Plus an easy  schedule. This is like 2015 all over again. 

• Haha 3

If Ron is to have a 10+ win season (where all the stars in the universe have aligned for him to accomplish that very feat) then he is going to have to at least change the way he is handling the preseason.

His teams historically get off to a slow start - and they certainly have here - and he can't afford that three years in a row.  McCain commented on this the other day, so at least the teams is aware they need to correct this.  However, in order to do so, Ron's gonna have to finally start playing his starters in the preseason.  Our starters get next to no reps and aren't ready to compete unit mid-season.  

Ron's got a new QB, new receivers for that QB to get some chemistry with, and an entire team that needs reps.  Keeping them healthy by not playing them in the preseason serves no purpose.  It's football.  Get your guys ready to play, Ron, and you can have a good season more than likely.  

• Thumb up 1