Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2022 General offseason discussion thread

Zim489

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Other players are rehabbing from injuries and they found a way to be here.ย  Chase told his head coach this year would be different and it is not. For a supposed team leader this is a bad look, especially given his performance and how he missed last year's OTAs as well. I'll never come off this position.ย ย 

Except, for part of the OTAs he WAS here, so yes, it WAS different. Now that the on field portion started, heโ€™s following his trainers plan, which FYI, he ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป has ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Communicated๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป with ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Ron๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป People are just looking for anything to whine about, itโ€™s ridiculous. He communicated his trainers plan with Rivera. Simple.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Except, for part of the OTAs he WAS here, so yes, it WAS different. Now that the on field portion started, heโ€™s following his trainers plan, which FYI, he ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป has ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Communicated๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป with ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Ron๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป People are just looking for anything to whine about, itโ€™s ridiculous. He communicated his trainers plan with Rivera. Simple.ย 

ย 

You do have a habit of making excuses for poor behavior.ย  It is clear that while voluntary coaches really want players to attend OTAs.ย  That includes injured players such as Logan Thomas who sustained a similar injury later in the season as well as other players who were rehabbing injuries and still found a way to make it to this OTA.ย ย 

ย 

I'm simply explaining that a team captain coming off a very disappointing year, and after no showing last seasons OTAs,ย  it's a bad look for him not to be there.ย 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

23 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

ย 

You do have a habit of making excuses for poor behavior.ย  It is clear that while voluntary coaches really want players to attend OTAs.ย  That includes injured players such as Logan Thomas who sustained a similar injury later in the season as well as other players who were rehabbing injuries and still found a way to make it to this OTA.ย ย 

ย 

I'm simply explaining that a team captain coming off a very disappointing year, and after no showing last seasons OTAs,ย  it's a bad look for him not to be there.ย 

You have zero way of knowing whether or not the rehab process for all the injured players are the same or different. If chase youngโ€™s trainer thinks the plan he has set for chase young is better, and if the coaching staff is aware of it and has communicated with chase young on all of this (which it sounds like thatโ€™s the case) then who are we to question it? His trainer has a plan for him, heโ€™s following that plan, and communicated that plan with Rivera.ย 
ย 

and, as i said before, he was at the earlier voluntary parts of the conditioning program, itโ€™s not as if heโ€™s been away ALL offseason. Last yeae he was. this year, he hasnโ€™t.ย 
ย 

if Rivera has a problem with him following his own trainers plan, thatโ€™s one thing. But there have been zero reports that indicate thatโ€™s the case here. Following a trainers plan isnt โ€œpoor behaviorโ€. Itโ€™s SMART behavior. simple.ย 

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

ย If chase youngโ€™s trainer thinks the plan he has set for chase young is better, and if the coaching staff is aware of it and has communicated with chase young on all of this (which it sounds like thatโ€™s the case) then who are we to question it? His trainer has a plan for him, heโ€™s following that plan, and communicated that plan with Rivera.ย 

Maybe you're right, but a lot of people said the same about Chase skipping out last year and it didn't turn out so well. More, this is the NFL. If a player wants to be at OTAs then he has the money or the team has the money that the trainer packs a bag and flies across country to be with him for a week. It's not that hard. Sure, they may not be able to bring all their equipment with them, but I suspect they can monitor and execute the plan they need to within to accomodate their client for a week on the road.

ย 

And bringing trainers to OTAs is not a unique idea. We've seen Tom Brady's trainers accompany him to OTAs in New England and Tampa Bay. I'm sure there have been others. Chase, if he wanted to could have had his time with his teammates and absorb what he needed to in terms of playbook and group meetings and still had his trainer there to monitor and continue his rehab program. Maybe there'd be one unique piece of equipment missing? Maybe not. But again, this is the NFL. If there is an amazing piece of equipment or a special kind of bath a player needs... then it can be made available.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You have zero way of knowing whether or not the rehab process for all the injured players are the same or different. If chase youngโ€™s trainer thinks the plan he has set for chase young is better, and if the coaching staff is aware of it and has communicated with chase young on all of this (which it sounds like thatโ€™s the case) then who are we to question it? His trainer has a plan for him, heโ€™s following that plan, and communicated that plan with Rivera.ย 
ย 

and, as i said before, he was at the earlier voluntary parts of the conditioning program, itโ€™s not as if heโ€™s been away ALL offseason. Last yeae he was. this year, he hasnโ€™t.ย 
ย 

if Rivera has a problem with him following his own trainers plan, thatโ€™s one thing. But there have been zero reports that indicate thatโ€™s the case here. Following a trainers plan isnt โ€œpoor behaviorโ€. Itโ€™s SMART behavior. simple.ย 

Well Rivera is smart enough not to call him out publicly.ย  But he and Del Rio made it perfectly clear that they consider OTAs important and wanted everyone to attend.ย  Again they have other players who had bad injuries and made it to this OTA.ย  Saying this is his trainer's plan is simply another excuse.ย  And I've grown tired of the excuse makers for Chase Young.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well Rivera is smart enough not to call him out publicly.ย  But he and Del Rio made it perfectly clear that they consider OTAs important and wanted everyone to attend.ย  Again they have other players who had bad injuries and made it to this OTA.ย  Saying this is his trainer's plan is simply another excuse.ย  And I've grown tired of the excuse makers for Chase Young.ย 

โ€œSimply another excuseโ€. Yawn.ย 

ย 

Since he is in Colorado, some have speculated that he is going through a process called altitude rehab.

ย 

It's for athletes who cannot train or go at peak efficiency.

ย 

They utilize the low oxygen in the atmosphere as a kind of cardiovascular stimulus.

ย 

I've never heard of it till I read it here and had to go look it up.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 10:20 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

โ€œSimply another excuseโ€. Yawn.ย 

It is what it is.ย ย 

ย 

I've grown tired of this, we're obviously not in agreement and won't change each others mind. I'm pretty comfortable with my position. RR was clearly upset that Chase skipped last season's OTAs. He was told this year would be different yet here we are. Again.ย ย 

ย 

All I'm saying is for a team captain, coming off a very disappointing season, it's a bad look for him to not be there when other players with similar injuries made the commitment the coaches are clearly looking forย  ย 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

So who gets more unwarranted hate: Wentz or Young? lolโ€ฆ

I would hope that neither gets any "hate." Wentz might be getting a little unwarranted pessimism while Chase is probably getting a little warranted disappointment. He's supposedly a team leader, elected a captain by his teammates. There's not a valid reason for him not to be there, even if just watching from the sidelines and helping rally his team. His individual rehab won't be completely thrown off by being at a lower elevation for a few 3 day sessions. IMO, He's being selfish and hence the expected reaction of disappointment from those who know what team leadership looks like.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I would hope that neither gets any "hate." Wentz might be getting a little unwarranted pessimism while Chase is probably getting a little warranted disappointment. He's supposedly a team leader, elected a captain by his teammates. There's not a valid reason for him not to be there, even if just watching from the sidelines and helping rally his team. His individual rehab won't be completely thrown off by being at a lower elevation for a few 3 day sessions. IMO, He's being selfish and hence the expected reaction of disappointment from those who know what team leadership looks like.

ย 

So...Wentz, then? lol...

9 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

ย 

So...Wentz, then? lol...

No, I think Wentz (sometimes pronounced "Wins" and sometimes pronounced "Wince" is just receiving a little unwarranted pessimism. Perhaps better term would be skepticism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

No, I think Wentz (sometimes pronounced "Wins" and sometimes pronounced "Wince" is just receiving a little unwarranted pessimism. Perhaps better term would be skepticism.

ย 

I meant, you earlier said that Wentz received "a little unwarranted pessimism" and that's it. Then said Young received "a little unwarranted disappointment"...and then went into lengthy detail as to why that disappointment is actually warranted lol

It is what it is.ย ย 

ย 

I've grown tired of this, we're obviously not in agreement and won't change each others mind. I'm pretty comfortable with my position. RR was clearly upset that Chase skipped last season's OTAs. He was told this year would be different yet here we are. Again.ย ย 

ย 

All I'm saying is for a team captain, coming off a very disappointing season, it's a bad look for him to not be there when other players with similar injuries made the commitment the coaches are clearly looking forย  ย 

This year actually it HAS been different, did you not realize Chase Young WAS there in April? Because newsflash, he was. Thatโ€™s different from last year. And once again, not everyoneโ€™s rehabs are the same, you do realize that, yes? And as someone else pointed out, itโ€™s been rumored thereโ€™s some type of altitude thing involved in his rehab. Canโ€™t do that in VA. And like i said, chase young has communicated his plan with Rivera. Rivera seems to be perfectly fine with it.ย 

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

ย 

I meant, you earlier said that Wentz received "a little unwarranted pessimism" and that's it. Then said Young received "a little unwarranted disappointment"...and then went into lengthy detail as to why that disappointment is actually warranted lol

Read it again, I mentioned Youngs criticism as "warranted." Although I do sometimes type with a bit of a drawl

Edited by bowhunter
  • Haha 3

I haven't commented much on Wentz because, well, I've lost interest and haven't been commenting on much of anything other than the owner. But I happen to believe the trade was not THAT bad.ย  What other options did they have?ย  Trubisky Marriotta or some other failed starter who has never been any good?ย  At least Wentz has shown that he can play at a high level, including much of last year.ย  Sure they overpaid but they were desperate and there was absolutely no guarantee they could sign him if he was released.

ย 

No I actually believe he will surprise people and play well, at least early in the season. I think there is a good chance the Commies start out hot.ย ย 

• Like 1

This will likely be an unpopular opinion but if I was the head coach there is one certainty that I would institute regardingย  young Mr Young.

ย 

I wouldย  ย revoke Chase's current team leader status and ban him from consideration as a future team captain.

ย 

In a winning culture team leaders are expected to reflect the very highest standards and be an example for the rank and file players they're expected to lead.

ย 

IThis begins with the simplest thing of all-- simply being there.

ย 

It doesn't matter if he can't work out and would just be on the sideline and in meetings. He still needs to be present, even if only for a brief and ultimately symbolic period of time.

ย 

It matters, especially on a losing team which is what we are and have been fir too many years.ย Players notice and it's bad for morale.

ย 

As a player, you can do your thing and show up ready to roll when it's mandatory but as an elected team leader you have a higher level of accountability.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

This will likely be an unpopular opinion but if I was the head coach there is one certainty that I would institute regardingย  young Mr Young.

ย 

I wouldย  ย revoke Chase's current team leader status and ban him from consideration as a future team captain.

ย 

In a winning culture team leaders are expected to reflect the very highest standards and be an example for the rank and file players they're expected to lead.

ย 

IThis begins with the simplest thing of all-- simply being there.

ย 

It doesn't matter if he can't work out and would just be on the sideline and in meetings. He still needs to be present, even if only for a brief and ultimately symbolic period of time.

ย 

It matters, especially on a losing team which is what we are and have been fir too many years.ย Players notice and it's bad for morale.

ย 

As a player, you can do your thing and show up ready to roll when it's mandatory but as an elected team leader you have a higher level of accountability.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I think it would be a dangerous move to strip his team captain status over a voluntary OTA. That would cause more problems than it would solve.ย ย 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

ย 

I think it would be a dangerous move to strip his team captain status over a voluntary OTA. That would cause more problems than it would solve.ย ย 

I agree. His position was voted on by his teammates. Revoking that privilege would invalidate their involvement.