Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Braeden Daniels, LT, Utah but projects to guard.  I could have sworn at one point he said he's coming back to school but evidently he's in this draft so I might be confusing him for another player.  I like him but only if they plan to go with a heavy zone scheme. I tried to watch him with the mindset of is he a good guard, not tackle.

Wonder if he could learn to play center?  Some dude mentioned the same on twitter.   He's played LG, RT, LT, I've read he's a smart player.  His size seems to fit center well.    If he can project to center that's where I'd prefer him. 

At his size, he's a guard and I think he can be a good one for a zone scheme -- especially outside zone, his movement skills are good and the combine certainly verfied that.  Better player IMO than Jon Gaines by a clear peg, I mention Gaines because he's also a bit undersized but also uber athletic and killed the combine.

Even though Daniels is undersized, he anchors and mirrors well enough to hold his own at guard in pass protect.   In the run game he can motor, hit the 2nd level, sustain blocks. 

Comes out of his stance sometimes IMO too quickly which allows defenders to slip by him if they have a plan for it.

Sinks his hips well, gets low, so he has good balance for the most part.  Has strong hands and sustain blocks well but as you'd expect for someone his size some defenders can push him back successfully. 

https://www.deseret.com/2022/4/21/23035489/utah-football-braeden-daniels-blossoming-kyle-whittingham-jim-harding-offensive-line-left-tackle

Utah has a new left tackle protecting quarterback Cam Rising’s blind side.

During the spring, junior Braeden Daniels moved from right tackle to left tackle, replacing Bamidele Olaseni

“I’m still refining the details,” Daniels said. “I’m trying to not just get the job done but be a dominant left tackle and be that guy that people can depend on. It’s been a good spring, working on my technique. It’s getting better each and every day.”

The 6-foot-4, 299-pound junior from Carrollton, Texas, started all 14 games last season, including three at left guard and 11 at right tackle. Daniels earned All-Pac-12 second-team honors. 

Offensive line coach Jim Harding explained why Daniels is playing left tackle now.

“A lot of it has to do with the fact that he has experience and has played at a high level. He was an all-conference player. That plays into it. He’s a guy that is doing the right things off the field as well,” he said. “He’s very attentive in meetings. He’s got a high football IQ. A lot of kids seek him to get answers outside of meeting time. (Offensive lineman) Paul Maile, though he’s been limited, has done a nice job. That’s what you want — your veteran players and Paul and Braeden have done a nice job that way.”

Doesn't surprise me Shanny is interested, perfect zone guard.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane.  I think he will make the my guys list for sort of that mid round range.  I like him a lot in that context.  With our 4th round pick maybe?  

Fun watch -- he zigs and zags and cuts in the open field with the best of them hence he has some big-explosve plays,  There are a bunch of RBs that intrigue me in that 3rd-5th round range.  I have to rewatch them all and do it back to back when I finally rank them because right now I have a hard time doing it off the cuff.   Spears to me plays in a similar brand to Tank Bigsby.    I'd go Spears over Bigsby because Spears has more take it to the house type of upside. 

Spears has sick numbers, almost 7 YPC, over 1500 yards rushing.  19  TDs. He has the best yards after contact of the players I am tracking at RB.  4.55 yards after contact.  He's a pass weapon threat.  Killed it at the Senior Bowl.   He didn't run at the Combine  but had some of the best numbers in the vertical and horizontal. 

Patient runner, seems to have good vision, contact balance.  Nice jump cut.  Good instincts with stop and go.  Slippery in the hole.  Doesn't come off like he has killer speed, good speed though, he has long legs but is so elusive in open field

Not the most powerful runner.  He's good at breaking tackles but that happens more in open field where he has some momentum to his run and he doesn't run too much in a straight line so that makes him slippery especially in open field. 

He can be stopped though in his tracks in obvious short yardage situations.   

He has good passing numbers but in the 2 games I watched, saw some hit and miss on that count.  I saw one play where he bubbled the catch and it led to a pick and 2 other drops.

Supposedly fun personality.  He prides himself on his pass protection.  A lot to like with him IMO. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just to be clear: I do not feel as though Blake Freeland is some flawless prospect. The strength and balance issues are valid as is Blake being prone to being beat inside with speed - that was on clear display at the SB but he also had some nice reps IMO. 

*If he puts on some quality mass and increases his strength, Blake Freeland could be the steal of the '23 OT class given where he is likely to be selected, which my gut says somewhere in the 2nd round.

14 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Washington Edge Jeremiah Martin could be a nice value pick Day 3 or UFDA route.

I really like a Byron Young from TENN but his combine showing has lifted his stock probably to high for our ‘needs’. Maybe his size, 6-2, and age might still deter teams. 

I’d still be tempted to pick him. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Edit...this may also bring EDGE into play. Don’t think our DEs are getting paid in 2024.

I am wondering the same.  This is the right draft to do it, unique depth.

It's another example of Rivera doesn't play games with his rhetoric, he does what he typically says he is going to do.  When some mentioned trading Payne, I kept saying I doubt it judging by Rivera's rhetoric

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’d actually really like an EDGE in this class. I have 6 or 7 first round grades on edges. That’s absurd. 

When I was compling stats for the spot, I often do that before watching this spot, I was looking at PFF's grades for the players at edge, and wow they have so many ranked highly.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep same here. But honestly would prefer to trade down as all the round 1 CB and OT prospects are all kinda sorda the same to me.

Picking at #16 I agreed with you on your post above. 

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I really like a Byron Young from TENN but his combine showing has lifted his stock probably to high for our ‘needs’. Maybe his size, 6-2, and age might still deter teams. 

I’d still be tempted to pick him. 

Me too. There a lot of guys similar to him though and he may be had for good value. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, Chump Bailey said:

Top Ten Edge

1. Will Anderson, Alabama

2. Myles Murphy, Clemson

3. Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech

4. Lukas Van Ness, Iowa

5. Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State (severely underrated IMO)

6. BJ Ojulari, LSU

7. Isaiah McGuire, Missouri

8. Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame

9. Zach Harrison, Ohio State

10. Keion White, Georgia Tech * Nick Hampton, App State * Jeremiah Martin, Washington * Jordan Ferguson, MTSU

Made this list way before the Combine. Nolan Smith and KJ Henry were my 1 & 2 on my OLB list just have a hard time placing these hybrid types. Nolan's a freak among freaks. Diaby from Louisville I had in my DE rankings and Yasir Abdullah was in my OLB rankings - again this was back in January so I am pretty pleased with my eye for these two. Incoom is okay and growing on me. I like Lonnie Phelps. Jeremiah Martin, I like. Not sure about Tavius Robinson yet. Will McDonald and Beal were my most glaring omissions. 

EDGE JORDAN FERGUSON (MTSU) WAS POPULAR AT THE HULA BOWL MEETING WITH A LONG LIST OF TEAMS INCLUDING THE CHARGERS, BEARS, AND LIONS, PER SOURCE.

FERGUSON RACKED UP 96 PRESSURES AND EIGHTEEN SACKS THE LAST TWO YEARS COMBINED.

— Ryan Fowler (@_RyanFowler_) January 18, 2023

Edited by Chump Bailey

I really like Ojulari and think he represents a value opportunity in the second round.  I have a first round value on him and I think he might get lost in the crowd of this freakish edge class.  He's got some legit skills.  Having advanced pass rushing repertoire and rush plan as an edge is kind of like having advanced route running skills as a receiver. It almost always translates well to the NFL.  Felt he really got the better of Broderick Jones.

• Like 1

By my count, in the last 5 years we have drafted 8 offensive lineman.  Only one out of 8 turned out to be a reliable starter, Chase R.  The jury is still out on Cosmi (and he was a second rounder) because he can't stay on the field and now they are saying he can't be relied on to play tackle, the position he was drafted for.  In fact the other six have not even played much as backups.  A pretty dismal record in my view.  Based on that record, I wouldnt get to excited on any OL they draft until they are able to prove themselves.