Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

Probably technically correct as the runner did contact Henderson and he had to maneuver around him, but woof. Wild spot for a call like that. 

And damn, why couldn’t this just be a laugher? Had to load the bases and hit a guy and give up more hits? This pen is scuffling. 

I was at the game w some friends and we had no idea what happened at the end except for the white Sox manager coming out and the PA announcing the final score. We were walking back to the car trying to figure out what happened on social media. 

I’m glad it worked out in the Os favor but it was a terrible call, especially given that it didn’t even matter if the ball was caught.

Definitely a terrible call. The runner barely touched Gunnar.

Another guaranteed win today with Burnes on the mound, no jinx. White Sox are an abomination of a team. What happened to Luis Robert? I see he is on rehab. He will be traded undoubtedly. 

I couldn't believe that ending. 4 runs in before 1 out was even recorded. Tying run on base. And the umpires gift the visiting team the final out like that? 

As someone said, I'm sure by the letter of the law it was correct, but that SUCKS and I'm even annoyed it ended that way. You have to let the winning run bat there. 

I guess I'm just hoping we can take 3 of 4 this weekend and keep the Yankees in sight. We need to do something about the bullpen ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Tonight’s ending was…something.

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I couldn't believe that ending. 4 runs in before 1 out was even recorded. Tying run on base. And the umpires gift the visiting team the final out like that? 

As someone said, I'm sure by the letter of the law it was correct, but that SUCKS and I'm even annoyed it ended that way. You have to let the winning run bat there. 

I guess I'm just hoping we can take 3 of 4 this weekend and keep the Yankees in sight. We need to do something about the bullpen ASAP. 

This is why I like baseball ... you watch for 30 years, think you've seen it all, then you get something like this.

• Thanks 2

This person gives a nice synopsis of the last out.  According to her, the umps got the call right-- the ball is still alive even though the ump called the infield fly rule, and the runner can be called for interference even if it was unintentional.  And I give credit to the 3rd base ump that he called it as soon as it happened, well before he got to the ball and caught it.

I'd still be pissed if I was a Sox fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was certainly a fair call to the letter of the law, but to:

-Decide the game

-Kill a rally

-Go against the home team

Yeesh. If that happened to my squad and I found that Ump in the parking lot I'd be "asking" him what part of Eatonville he was from.

a32ff585-fdea-43ba-8c04-6fc7da1375aa_text.gif.f132293ace32bd5f9c52eadf4efcfa4e.gif

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

It was certainly a fair call to the letter of the law, but to:

-Decide the game

-Kill a rally

-Go against the home team

Yeesh. If that happened to my squad and I found that Ump in the parking lot I'd be "asking" him what part of Eatonville he was from.

a32ff585-fdea-43ba-8c04-6fc7da1375aa_text.gif.f132293ace32bd5f9c52eadf4efcfa4e.gif

I was a little pissed as someone who's rooted for the Orioles for 40ish years. I was in the middle of hate-watching the bullpen at that point, so I was in a win-win situation: either they wriggled out of it and won or they blew a 6-run lead against the White Sox. I was kind of cheated out of both when the umps awarded them a win with a standing 8 count. 

4 hours ago, balki1867 said:

This person gives a nice synopsis of the last out.  According to her, the umps got the call right-- the ball is still alive even though the ump called the infield fly rule, and the runner can be called for interference even if it was unintentional.  And I give credit to the 3rd base ump that he called it as soon as it happened, well before he got to the ball and caught it.

I'd still be pissed if I was a Sox fan.

That was the umpire making the game about him and not letting the players decide the game. The intent of the rule isn't what was called. All that call does it make people hate officials more. 

6 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

A similar play was called against the O's a few years back ... bottom line runners need to pay attention.

First clip

What is a runner supposed to do in either situation? In the clip you posted, the runner stopped moving and the other clip, the runner was walking back to the base. If neither is the right thing to do, it's a bad rule and umps should be aware of the impact they have on the game. 

Posted (edited)

Pinch hitting Adley in the top of the 8th last night was an amazing decision by Hyde. However, I believe the final out was huge in more ways than one... Cowser's catch and celebration, as well as saving Kimbrel from another breakdown, should have a rippling effect. Hopefully, the defense continues to pick him up. Final out

Edited by Sniffler
  • Like 2

Akin’s 5th inning adventure. 

Walk (Could’ve been strike 3) 

Single 

Bunt out  (nearly threw it away) 

Walk (pitch around)

Pop-up

1-2 meatball - 3 run triple. 

K. 

He’s such a ****ing bozo. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

We like the long ball

That half inning was fun. They looked completely inept all day and then ao’Hearn fouls off a bunch before lofting a dinger and Santander hitting an absolute nuke. 

That’s baseball sometimes.  

Posted (edited)

Kimbrel has definitely reestablished himself.  Timely considering other bullpen guys starting to look a little shaky (Cano, Akin), and we had no one pushing for the closer role.

Looks like T-storms tomorrow in Baltimore, unfortunately not the best for Memorial Day.

Edited by DCSaints_fan