Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, China said:

New Republican bill would allow American citizens to seize Russian vessels by force

A Texas lawmaker has introduced legislation that would allow private U.S. citizens to seize assets and property owned by Russian oligarchs who have been sanctioned in response to Russia's ongoing war with Ukraine.

The bill, introduced on Feb. 28 by Rep. Lance Gooden from Dallas, would require President Joe Biden to issue letters of marque and reprisal for the seizure of yachts, planes or other property owned by those on the Treasury Department's list of sanctioned Russians. The proposal comes as the U.S. continues to increase sanctions against Russia's elite in response to the country's war against Ukraine. While Biden has warned Russian oligarchs that the U.S. will seize their “ill-begotten gains," Gooden says it's not enough.

"Putin’s inner circle have planes and yachts sitting at airports and harbors all over the world," Gooden said in a March 1 news release. "If President Biden refuses to act quickly, then it is time Congress and American citizens take matters into their own hands. Russian oligarchs must be held accountable for enabling the disgusting invasion of Ukraine.”

Letters of Marque and Reprisal, a historic tool authorized in Article 1 of the U.S. Constitution, allow private citizens or groups to seize enemy property on behalf of the U.S. government. Such letters were used during the War of 1812, but have not been issued since. 

Click on the link for the full article

Awesome.  I got a pirate costume last Halloween.  Just need to get a cutlass and a flintlock.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How can Japan tell the ships are going to Europe??

True.  Russia might be conducting an amphibious assault and logistical support to an invasion of Taiwan.

50 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Awesome.  I got a pirate costume last Halloween.  Just need to get a cutlass and a flintlock.

No additional shot nor powder.

A compass that does not point North.  

And I half expected it to be made of wood.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, China said:

Russia warns United States: we have the might to put you in your place

Russia warned the United States on Thursday that Moscow had the might to put the world's pre-eminent superpower in its place and accused the West of stoking a wild Russophobic plot to tear Russia apart.

Dmitry Medvedev, who served as president from 2008 to 2012 and is now deputy secretary of Russia's Security Council, said the United States had stoked "disgusting" Russophobia in an attempt to force Russia to its knees.

"It will not work - Russia has the might to put all of our brash enemies in their place," Medvedev said.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, the United States and its European and Asian allies have slapped sanctions on Russian leaders, companies and businessmen, cutting off Russia from much of the world economy.

President Vladimir Putin says that what he calls the special military operation in Ukraine was necessary because the United States was using Ukraine to threaten Russia and Russia had to defend against the "genocide" of Russian-speaking people by Ukraine.

Ukraine says it is fighting for its existence and that Putin's claims of genocide are nonsense. The West says claims it wants to rip Russia apart are fiction.

Russia says that despite sanctions it can fare well without what it casts as a deceitful and decadent West led by the United States.

LOL, at this point Lichtenstein is thinking "We can take 'em"

I also love the "Dont sanction us because its worthy of war" and "Sanctions did nothing, didnt effect us at all" contradictions they have been sending out.

• Like 2

'There is literally no paper trail': How Russia experts say Putin hides a fortune

The sprawling billion-dollar palace that sits on a hilltop overlooking the Black Sea is seen by some Kremlin critics as the ultimate emblem of Russian President Vladimir Putin's legacy of corruption.

Dubbed "Putin's Palace," the 190,000 square-foot mega-mansion was purportedly built for his personal use with funds from billionaire oligarchs, whom he allegedly allowed to flourish in Russia's notoriously corrupt economy so long as they shared the wealth -- with him.

The property has its own amphitheater, underground hockey rink and private seaport, according to a documentary produced by jailed Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny's anti-corruption group. There is a no-fly zone in the skies above and a no-boating zone in the surrounding waters.

The magnificent fortress stands in stark contrast to the tiny 800-square-foot apartment Putin claims in his official 2020 financial disclosure.

Yet, despite the opulence of the hilltop retreat, "I would be very surprised if Putin ever sets foot in there again," Nate Sibley, an expert on Russian corruption who advises members of Congress, told CNN.

Sibley said the palace symbolizes what he sees as a bygone era of Putin pursuing, through the wealth of oligarchs, a luxurious lifestyle that he could never afford on his government salary. While Putin is believed to have amassed a hidden fortune by such means earlier in his career, Sibley said, he has since become less reliant on his wealthy benefactors over the years and has surrounded himself instead with government and military loyalists who share his hardline nationalist views.

That shift, some Russia experts told CNN, may make it more difficult to make Putin personally feel the sting of economic sanctions the US and its European allies have imposed to punish him for invading Ukraine.

Putin has positioned himself, as Sibley put it, "above the fray."

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm wondering now if even their nukes work or are those a lie too.

Is it possible that some of them don't work?  After the last few weeks, I could believe it.  

Is it possible that 90% of them don't work?  Maybe.  

Is it possible that zero of them work?  I suppose, technically, there's a really slim chance.  

Do you want to roll that die, and find out?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Is it possible that some of them don't work?  After the last few weeks, I could believe it.  

Is it possible that 90% of them don't work?  Maybe.  

Is it possible that zero of them work?  I suppose, technically, there's a really slim chance.  

Do you want to roll that die, and find out?  

The real question is:

"Does the button that starts nukes' launching works"?

If it doesn't, they won't be able to launch them. And I believe there's a good chance it doesn't function properly.

• Like 1

Putin speaks of a special action in #Ukraine that is not aimed at civilians. However, a drone filmed a few kilometers west of Kyiv how a civilian was shot dead by apparently Russian soldiers. #ZDFfrontal exclusive, more about the war 9:15 p.m

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/ukraine-war-crimes-civilian-killed-drone-videos-100.html

FLASH - #Ukraine: Russian #FSB men are raiding residential buildings in #Kherson, Ukraine. #Kyiv #Mariupol #StopRussia #UkraineUnderAttack

Edited by FrFan

Holy crap, this is some of the worse attempts at misinformation I have ever seen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-soldiers-alive-despite-russia-011053947.html

Long story short, there were Russian reports that there were American mercenaries who died in Ukraine. They included the names and ranks from the individuals.

They specifically chose 3 soldiers who had previously been to Ukraine a few years back.

2 seconds of research shows these people are alive and well... and not at all in Ukraine.

Its almost to the point where I'm insulted at how dumb this was. It would have been far easier and effective to pull fake dude names out of the ether. It actually takes more work and effort to fudge this in such a manner.

I'm not even mad at the attempt. The execution of it has me embarrassed for whoever did it.