Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Youngkin and friends.

Cooked Crack

40 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Welp.

He's being petty because he's a limpdick lame duck for the rest of his term as Governor.

He has no idea how to negotiate, he can't get help from Trump because he wouldn't kiss the ring while running for office, the only power he has left is to block **** coming out of legislature in Richmond that's completely controlled by the Dems now.

He blocked raising minimimum wage, too, was that also to protect the kiddies?  This is same guy that tried to remove resources to prevent suicide for trans kids?

Two more years to get rid of him is a long damn time yall:

https://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_recall_in_Virginia

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is same guy that tried to remove resources to prevent suicide for trans kids?

No, you have this backwards.  

This is the same guy that added resources to increase suicide for trans kids. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No, you have this backwards.  

This is the same guy that added resources to increase suicide for trans kids. 

*tries not to crush phone in my hand

He needs to go.

This guy is like Trump as in he slid in under the radar when we thought we had the race won. Talking with my boss about the stadium moves, he thinks the Dems burned it down because they didn't get the pork they wanted ( my words, not his). Dude, did this in the dark, then called a home run before he even got to bat. I told my boss it wouldn't go thru when it was announced, too shady.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I told my boss it wouldn't go thru when it was announced, too shady.

This whole thing shows that he's learned nothing in regards to how to navigate the position he's in.

He made a promise he couldn't keep, then tried to strong arm and guilt it into reality.

Got a phone call asking me if they could transfer me to my local representative, that the stadium would help development and an area that needed it (right down the street from same **** they said to justify getting HQ2 here).

I let them transfer me and left a voice mail imploring them NOT to do it instead. 

For a supposed businessman, he acts like he has no idea how to conduct business when not in a position of power.  This state is purple at best, he can't change that because the next assembly election is same year to pick his replacement (can only run one term at a time).

Quit with your terrible twos already and at least pass a budget dammit:

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-general-assembly-glenn-youngkin-session-budget-9daa9a107da3a8027541a9ef9b0c5181

• Like 1

LOL, the Post has a very long article today on how it all went wrong for Sweatervest.  Some of it is below but it's paywalled.  The upshot is he tried to be the CEO of Virginia and thought he could govern by fiat, and never seemed to grasp that, with a Democratic legislature, that didn't work.  It also characterizes his legacy as "cloudy" which is weird for someone whose marquee accomplishments where to prohibit CRT from being taught in school (when CRT has never been taught in schools) and to bully trans kids.  And as "A BUSINESS GUY" his resume includes a complete botch of the Monumental Arena deal, preventing Ford from building a huge factory in a part of VA desperate for jobs because CHINA something something, and failing to lure the new FBI HQ and it's 8,000 white collar jobs even though the FBI wanted to move to Virginia.

Some people thought this guy could be President.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/28/virginia-youngkin-wizards-arena-legacy/

Va. Gov. Youngkin arrived like a GOP star, but arena failure clouds legacy

RICHMOND — No Virginia governor has come into office with a deeper dealmaking background than Glenn Youngkin, who as former co-chief executive of the Carlyle Group made a fortune acquiring and merging companies around the globe.

But as the Republican chief executive of a purple state, Youngkin has struggled to translate that business acumen into political success — or even economic development success, with the demise Wednesday of his much-touted plan to bring the Washington Wizards and Capitals to Alexandria.

While Youngkin and his group of financial experts had negotiated with team owner Ted Leonsis to cut what the governor called “the single largest economic development deal in Virginia’s history,” the governor was never able to work the same magic with members of the General Assembly who had to sign off on the $2 billion project.

The plan’s failure wipes out a significant legacy-making opportunity for a novice politician who burst onto the scene in 2021 and drew national attention as a fresh Republican face. In his first two years in office, Youngkin enjoyed state coffers overflowing with federal pandemic relief funds and a friendly GOP-controlled House of Delegates. But as the clock winds down on his four-year term, the governor has lost the legislature to Democrats and seen his priorities slip away.

“He’s a total lame duck right now,” said Robert Holsworth, a Richmond political analyst who has studied Virginia governors for decades. “He has shown tremendous political inexperience.”

But Holsworth, the political analyst, said he saw a significant difference in the way Youngkin approaches big initiatives compared with previous governors. When Republican George Allen wanted to impose new education standards in the 1990s and had a Democratic legislature, he said, the governor appointed prominent Virginia educators to key administration roles and mounted a campaign around the state to build support from lawmakers and local officials — all before any votes were taken.

Similarly, in the 2000s, Democrat Mark R. Warner logged miles around the state and made endless PowerPoint presentations to persuade business groups and a GOP legislature that Virginia had to raise taxes to preserve its high bond rating.

Youngkin made no such broad effort to pave the way for the arena, Holsworth said, or for a proposed overhaul of the state tax system that the governor rolled out in December. Instead, Youngkin began touring the state after the General Assembly adjourned March 9, campaigning to handpicked Republican crowds against what he dismisses as the “backward budget” passed by lawmakers and condemning the Senate for not supporting the arena. At the same time, he is rolling out scores of vetoes of Democratic legislation — including Thursday, when he vetoed bills to create a legal cannabis market and increase the minimum wage, two of Democrats’ top priorities.

“It’s just not a very keen understanding of the political dynamics of Virginia,” Holsworth said.

Now Youngkin must shake off the arena loss and find common ground with the very legislators who killed it to get a state spending plan passed by the time the fiscal year ends June 30. Otherwise, Virginia could face an unprecedented government shutdown.

Youngkin said he is optimistic that he can work with Democratic leaders, saying he never considered the arena a bargaining chip for the budget. “I need them to engage with me once again, but there is a common-sense budget that we can deliver together that drives Virginia forward,” he said.

As long as that budget, he added, contains no tax increases.

And that, Democratic leaders have said, is a non-starter.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Virginia really needs to allow the governor to be reelected (governor in general, not speaking of Youngkin or anybody specific). Otherwise, these kinds of things will continue happening. Youngkin obviously underestimated the levers of power available to the other side of the aisle. They taught him a lesson. But Virginia is cheating itself outta sound, continuous leadership by keeping in place this outdated restriction on a governor serving consecutive terms.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Virginia really needs to allow the governor to be reelected (governor in general, not speaking of Youngkin or anybody specific). Otherwise, these kinds of things will continue happening. Youngkin obviously underestimated the levers of power available to the other side of the aisle. They taught him a lesson. But Virginia is cheating itself outta sound, continuous leadership by keeping in place this outdated restriction on a governor serving consecutive terms.

I'd be OK with allowing him to be the GOP nominee, next election 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL, the Post has a very long article today on how it all went wrong for Sweatervest.  Some of it is below but it's paywalled.  The upshot is he tried to be the CEO of Virginia and thought he could govern by fiat, and never seemed to grasp that, with a Democratic legislature, that didn't work.  It also characterizes his legacy as "cloudy" which is weird for someone whose marquee accomplishments where to prohibit CRT from being taught in school (when CRT has never been taught in schools) and to bully trans kids.  And as "A BUSINESS GUY" his resume includes a complete botch of the Monumental Arena deal, preventing Ford from building a huge factory in a part of VA desperate for jobs because CHINA something something, and failing to lure the new FBI HQ and it's 8,000 white collar jobs even thought the FBI wanted to move to Virginia.

Some people thought this guy could be President.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/28/virginia-youngkin-wizards-arena-legacy/

Va. Gov. Youngkin arrived like a GOP star, but arena failure clouds legacy

You've gotta archive it to get around the paywall or use the Google reader.

Also, you guys must see his college basketball stats. Look them up for yourselves...

Edited by Simmsy

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

You've gotta archive it to get around the paywall or use the Google reader.

LOL, I just subscribe to the Post.  I just feel bad copying and pasting the whole article since that's stealing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed his name onto the bill prohibiting child marriage in Virginia. It is now the law of the Commonwealth that children under 18 cannot be wed, regardless of circumstance. Virginia becomes the 12th state to enact this protection against children

some 7,876 minors as young as 12 were entered into marriage in Virginia between 2000 and 2021”

Virginia has now joined Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, Michigan and Washington”

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I guess we've gotten into the low hanging fruit phase of the Youngkin administration.  Probably a good thing. 

Well he also made it easier for the VA GOP to eliminate birth control. So there's that too.

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Well he also made it easier for the VA GOP to eliminate birth control. So there's that too.

I think that tweet is unnecessarily inflammatory and misrepresents what happened.  Gosh I wish some of these activists groups would stop overplaying their hand, especially when they don't need to.

Here is a less drunk explanation of the process per Bloomberg Law.

Virginia would follow US Supreme Court precedence on the right to contraception under a bill the governor amended and sent back to the legislature.

The proposal sent late Monday by Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) states that “individuals possess the right to access contraception as set forth” in the Supreme Court’s rulings in Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965 and Eisenstadt v. Baird in 1972. Justices said in those decisions that the right to privacy protects the rights of married couples and individuals to access contraceptives.

Youngkin’s measure is less comprehensive than the version passed by the Democratic-led legislature last month (SB 237) prohibiting any laws, regulations, or other state policies that restrict the sale, provision, or use of any contraceptives approved by the Food and Drug Administration, including oral contraceptives, emergency contraceptives like Plan B, and intrauterine devices, or IUDs. The bill from the state legislature also outlines how the state attorney general or individuals could initiate a civil cause of action for alleged interference with the right to obtain or engage in contraception.

The bill’s sponsor, state Sen. Ghazala Hashmi (D), and Del. Marcia “Cia” Price (D), who led the legislation in the House, condemned Youngkin’s removal of the specific forms of contraception that would be protected under the law, as well as “the mechanism for Virginians to ensure that our rights are enforced.”

“Governor Youngkin’s substitute would effectively make it a suggestion rather than a law and leave our rights up to the whims of the people in power,” the state legislators said in a joint statement, adding “both chambers should reject the substitute, and the governor should sign the original bills.”

Youngkin’s addition, which state legislators will consider when they return to session April 17, comes after the governor sent back legislation (SB 238) last month to protect insurance coverage for contraception with an amendment that would allow nongovernmental plan sponsors to decline providing coverage if it conflicts with “sincerely held religious or ethical beliefs.”

Hashmi, who also sponsored the insurance coverage bill, previously told Bloomberg Law that Democrats were opposed to the amendment for SB 238 and planned to vote against it.

So Youngkin declined to sign the original Dem bill, but he didn't veto it.  He amended it and sent it back for reconsideration during the session that starts in 1 week.  The original bill already passed both chambers once, so they are likely to reject Sweatervest's amendments and send it back to him in original form.  THEN he can sign it or veto it, and if he vetoes it, that will set off yet another political ****storm like the AZ decision did yesterday, which will be bad for Virginia for 2 years, but will help Democrats in November.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

It kind of sounds like the tweet and what you posted PB are saying the exact same thing. Just in different ways. 

Not even close.  He made an amendment and sent it back to the legislature for further consideration.  That is very different from:

He gutted Virginia’s bipartisan Right to Contraception Act by:
1. Converting it from a legal mandate to a mere suggestion
2. Removing the definition of contraception so that he can enforce it anyway he wants (likely not at all)
3. Making the whole act time limited

...thus conveniently killed the right to birth control, while trying to avoid the stigma of technically vetoing it.

The tweet (very probably intentionally) makes it sound like his actions are a done deal.  

Stop making me defend Sweatervest!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I guess we've gotten into the low hanging fruit phase of the Youngkin administration.  Probably a good thing. 

Broken clock right twice a day...I'll take it...

Wish someone would pull him to the side and tell him this is a chance to appear pragmatic if he's serious about continuing his political career.

Maybe it's better he gives up future political aspirations, it's played a huge part and why we are where we are right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not even close.  He made an amendment and sent it back to the legislature for further consideration.  That is very different from:

The tweet (very probably intentionally) makes it sound like his actions are a done deal.  

Stop making me defend Sweatervest!

The rest of the tweet does say there is time for Democrats to reject his changes. But I do get what you are saying about the original tweet. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

He’s been on a roll lately:

Near the bottom of his list of 242 amendments to the General Assembly budget, Gov. Glenn Youngkin, an abortion opponent, included a short sentence that would end state funding of abortions for severe fetal abnormalities.

Youngkin’s abortion funding amendment changes budget language that says state money cannot be spent on abortion services, except otherwise as required by federal law or state statute, by dropping the words “state statute.”

https://richmond.com/news/state-regional/government-politics/youngkin-funding-fetal-anomaly-abortions-general-assembly/article_abaf1382-f691-11ee-a5da-b3326f61ff3c.html?fbclid=IwAR0Le9yhGsMQvAWrBLQ7fJj3qBtC0yZfpxBFxO6SJTmnxZhTcCYajbDSCmA_aem_Aag-GBd5VpqQUktBk0uDVPWeHMxgGJPupbwhOCqZG4Zf0pDcNIA42K8tO4fHkLDNGpE8MOtekguMZasAjpqXgAUs