Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

51 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I won't go that far. Williams and Kerrigan were re-signed, Dunbar was a great find and Matt I. Orakpo was given the franchise but wanted too much. 

I will say that we've seen a stream of talented but not elite players leave here (Crowder, Morris, Kelley, Breeland, Smith). These players were good but not great but we tried to find better quickly instead of developing them. 

Trent reset the market when we re-signed him, I thought? Kerrigan was a good one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I will say that we've seen a stream of talented but not elite players leave here (Crowder, Morris, Kelley, Breeland, Smith). These players were good but not great but we tried to find better quickly instead of developing them. 

- Crowder: I was hoping they would re-sign him.  

- Morris as in Alfred Morris?  He was one of my favorite players.  And after he left, we had to suffer through a whole bunch of Jay's "try hard not very talented" guys like Rob Kelley.  That said, he was PERFECT for the Shanahan scheme, and not so much for the Gruden/Callahan scheme.  He didn't really fit, and wasn't as effective.  

- Which Kelley do you speak of?  Surely it's not the player of whom we don't speak from the draft we do not mention.  If it's Rob Kelley, he was the definition of 'just a guy.'  There are 500 Rob Kelley's out there, and there was no reason to sign him.  He wasn't that good.  

- Wasn't there something up with Bree where he wasn't re-signed, but there was kindof a reason?  I can't remember.  

- Preston Smith was just so inconsistent, he wasn't worth re-signing for the money it was going to take to do so.  And he was immediately inconsistent in GB also.  

I think when you're in the mode of draft, develop, keep, you have to really be good at knowing who you're going to re-sign and keep investing in after their first 3 years.  We have a whole bunch of players on the team who are in their 2nd or 3rd year, and will be up for that soon. All of the guys are entering their third year, so at the end of the year, they would be eligible for extensions.  They have an extra year on Young because of the 5th year option as a first round pick.  They could wait on any of these guys one more year and re-sign them after the final year of their contract, but that means they are flirting with them going to FA.  

- Holcomb

- Curl

- Sweat

- (Sooner than you would think) Chase Young

- Gibson (though, that ship might have sailed)

- S. Charles

- James Smith-Williams

- Toohill

- Hudson

So we'll see.  I doubt all of these guys get extended, and not all of them should.  But they are the next group of folks up for new contracts in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Obviously this year is big for all those on the list. I would like the scenario where Sweat and Curl take the leap. Sweat to mitigate a negative recovery for Chase. Curl would be a nice fit for our safety/BN position long term.

Anything worth keeping from the rest is a bonus.

~Wolffe 

Edited by Commander Wolffe
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, dyst said:

I predict, Holcomb, Kurl, Sweat etc won’t take that next step. With Kurl and Sweat - I can see marignal improvements but with Holcomb it’s probably it.

Sweat has an 8-10 sack year.  

9 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Did we bring anyone in to compete with Slye this training camp? I'm starting to get worried. We all know what happens when a kicker gets the yips and it aint pretty. Could even wreck our season, potentially. Not saying that's the case here yet. Too soon for that but I am a tad bit concerned.

• Thumb down 1

22 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be feeling pretty good if we brought Haden and Collins in again.

Landon Collins?  Nah.  I think they are fine at safety.  I think they would rather role with Butler/Forrest and get them experience than sign an old, cranky, expensive guy who plays LB but reuses to be called LB.  

I think they absolutely should be looking at a 4th or 5th CB, though.  Fuller, WJIII and St. Juste are a fine one through three.  However, when one of them gets hurt (and all three missed games last year, if I remember correctly), then the next guy up is terrifying.  

• Like 1

Any interest on these players who could be released.

Cleland Ferrell 

Alex Leatherwood

OJ Howard 

Deion Jones

Ronald Jones

LJ Coller

Montravious Adams

Mike Gesicki

I would like to take a shot at Ferrell at DE if price is right. Never should have been 4th pick but could be a good guy to team with Sweat while Young is out. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

42 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Any interest on these players who could be released.

Cleland Ferrell 

Alex Leatherwood

OJ Howard 

Deion Jones

Ronald Jones

LJ Coller

Montravious Adams

Mike Gesicki

I would like to take a shot at Ferrell at DE if price is right. Never should have been 4th pick but could be a good guy to team with Sweat while Young is out. 

Gesicki could be on the chopping block?

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It should not just be a question of what we ‘need’ - if a player is available and he represents an upgrade on what we have then we should be interested at the right cost.

100 precent agree with that. Are these players better then some of the guys we have? 

I think Ferrell could be if situation is right. I think he could be good on other side of Sweat.

Gesicki would be also be improvement very expensive thought. Would really fit Wentz type of TE/WR but 10 million for year is alot.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Just now, FLSkinz83 said:

I strongly disagree.  Even with Mathis healthy; We're short.   We have Nothing above average at DE besides Sweat.

I don't disagree with you but would caution against breaking the bank for either of those two positions. 

Really, LB/CB/RB are now the most urgent needs.