Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

wf.com: Brandon Scherff, Jonathan Allen named to 2022 Pro Bowl

TK

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/brandon-scherff-jonathan-allen-named-to-2022-pro-bowl

Brandon Scherff, Jonathan Allen named to 2022 Pro Bowl

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced this evening that defensive tackle Jonathan Allen and guard Brandon Scherff have been selected to the 2022 Pro Bowl.

Including two selections last season, Washington has now produced at least two Pro Bowl players in six consecutive seasons for the first time since the 2005-10 campaigns. This marks the first time since 2010 (CB DeAngelo Hall and LB Brian Orakpo) that Washington has multiple Pro Bowl starters on their roster.

This also marks the first time since 2002 (T Chris Samuels, CB Champ Bailey and LB LaVar Arrington) that Washington has a Pro Bowl starter on both offense and defense in the same season.

Allen was selected as a starting defensive tackle for the NFC. This is Allen's first ever Pro Bowl selection. He is the first Washington defensive tackle to be named to the Pro Bowl since Dave Butz in 1983. Allen is also the first ever defensive tackle in Washington franchise history to be named a starter in the Pro Bowl.

Scherff was selected as the starting guard for the NFC. His selection is the fifth of his career (2016-17; 2019-21). Scherff joins Trent Williams, Chris Samuels and Len Hauss as the only Washington offensive linemen to be selected to the Pro Bowl five-plus times.

Through Week 15, Allen has tallied 8.5 sacks, 26 QBHs, and 10 tackles for loss. Allen trails only Los Angeles Rams DT Aaron Donald (11.0) in total sacks by a defensive tackle this season. He also ranks No. 5 in the NFL among defensive tackles in tackles for loss (10) and No. 5 in the NFL overall in QBHs, trailing only Pittsburgh DE T.J. Watt, San Francisco DE Nick Bosa, Cleveland DE Myles Garrett and Dallas OLB Micah Parsons.

Through Week 15, Scherff has been part of an offensive line that ranks third in the NFC in pass block grade (79.5) per Pro Football Focus. He has started at right guard in all nine game in which he has appeared in this season.

The following Washington players were named Pro Bowl alternates for the NFC:

• P Tress Way -- Second Alternate
  • LS Camaron Cheeseman -- Third Alternate
  • RB Antonio Gibson -- Fourth Alternate
  • KR DeAndre Carter -- Fourth Alternate
  • WR Terry McLaurin -- Fifth Alternate
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel bad for Terry. He has everything there to be a top 3 WR in the NFL but he's had a turnstyle of awful to mediocre QBs throwing to him. I wonder if he's considering going elsewhere when his rookie deal is done.

OR he could stay here after we draft or get an elite QB. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

OR he could stay here after we draft or get an elite QB. 

Given our franchise's history with drafting QBs would you stay here? I'm guessing he'll be watching pretty closely to see what we do this offseason as far as QB goes. He'll be a UFA after 2022 so if we don't make a major investment I could see him considering testing the FA waters to see what kind of situation he could go to. I think if he had a top 10 QB throwing to him he'd be an All Pro.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Given our franchise's history with drafting QBs would you stay here? I'm guessing he'll be watching pretty closely to see what we do this offseason as far as QB goes. He'll be a UFA after 2022 so if we don't make a major investment I could see him considering testing the FA waters to see what kind of situation he could go to. I think if he had a top 10 QB throwing to him he'd be an All Pro.

No question Terry is watching closely.  He's not going to stay here out of blind loyalty, no matter how much he may love the team.  These athletes have a severely limited number of years in which to be productive or even on the field at all.  I truly hope Ron & Co. deliver what is needed.  

50 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The last we drafted a winning QB in the first round was 1937.

We had our chance to draft an elite QB, but we chose Chase Young instead.

Hindsight is 20/20.  CY was the can't miss prospect right after Joe Burrow - no one in their right mind was thinking Herbert in the top 5, let alone #2 overall.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  CY was the can't miss prospect right after Joe Burrow - no one in their right mind was thinking Herbert in the top 5, let alone #2 overall.

Yeah, obviously if we could do it over I'd take Herbert but if we could do drafts over with hindsight we'd have picked Brady at #2 in 2000, Aaron Rodgers at #5 in 2005, and Russell Wilson at #2 in 2012.

Herbert wasn't considered a can't miss blue chip prospect at the time. He was seen by most as the 3rd best QB in that class behind Burrow and Tua.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redwards said:

No question Terry is watching closely.  He's not going to stay here out of blind loyalty, no matter how much he may love the team.  These athletes have a severely limited number of years in which to be productive or even on the field at all.  I truly hope Ron & Co. deliver what is needed.  

He should go wherever he can get the most amount of money and play with a good QB. F loyalty. Get what you can get. As soon as you start to suck the team will get rid of you anyway. Look out for yourself.

• Thanks 1

Scherff as a pro bowler is exemplary of why this award is bull****. He plays when he feels like it. He’s JJ Watt without the hard work or desire. God help the team that signs him like a QNelson contract. They’ll get 5-6 years of occasional greatness and mostly injuries and getting owned. Scott’s first prize pick, lol

20 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Scherff as a pro bowler is exemplary of why this award is bull****. He plays when he feels like it. He’s JJ Watt without the hard work or desire. God help the team that signs him like a QNelson contract. They’ll get 5-6 years of occasional greatness and mostly injuries and getting owned. Scott’s first prize pick, lol

He’s been loafing a bit and skill kicking ass. If he goes to a contender, the nasty dominance for his early years will return.