Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Update EIGHT DAYS LATER: Yes it is an ACL tear) (Update next day, no ACL tear per Rivera) Per Schefter: Logan Thomas "likely" tore ACL and MCL

NewCliche21

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I think I tone it down from your position slightly: there is definitely a chance he recovers and can be extremely productive.  But you can't count on it.  Bruce COUNTED on Reed and CT to stay healthy every year. And they didn't, and then he was surprised.  Then he did it again and again.  And it always seemed to surprise him.  

So we need to not do that.

That said, my guess is what they are going to do is not panic.  My bet is they continue to work with Reyes, bring back RSJ, and they have Bates, who has played well.  They'll probably bring in or draft a few other guys. 

But I wouldn't expect them to go out and sign a big-named TE.  

Reyes is the real wild-card.  I personally don't think he's going to amount to anything because learning football at the NFL level, you're just SO far behind everybody else, that's a tough, tough, tough ask.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong.  But, just with life in general, I put an extreme amount of emphasis on experience, and he literally has none.  

But IF Reyes develops into what they think he can, he's the clear answer.  

Agreed on all fronts.  Reyes is already following Reed's trajectory as he's out with a concussion from the latest bodybag game.

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I think I tone it down from your position slightly: there is definitely a chance he recovers and can be extremely productive.  But you can't count on it.  Bruce COUNTED on Reed and CT to stay healthy every year. And they didn't, and then he was surprised.  Then he did it again and again.  And it always seemed to surprise him.  

So we need to not do that.

That said, my guess is what they are going to do is not panic.  My bet is they continue to work with Reyes, bring back RSJ, and they have Bates, who has played well.  They'll probably bring in or draft a few other guys. 

But I wouldn't expect them to go out and sign a big-named TE.  

Reyes is the real wild-card.  I personally don't think he's going to amount to anything because learning football at the NFL level, you're just SO far behind everybody else, that's a tough, tough, tough ask.  I REALLY hope I'm wrong.  But, just with life in general, I put an extreme amount of emphasis on experience, and he literally has none.  

But IF Reyes develops into what they think he can, he's the clear answer.  

I'm of this thought too. And to add to it, Bates is a good blocker which will get him on the field more often, and it doesn't mean he's a tell. Plus he has good hands. He got a bad OPI call last week but he seems to have Heinicke's eye and we're seeing him get more targets. I'd like to see him get more YAC but the more important thing right now is his blocking and ability to catch the ball. Other things like finding holes in the zone and escaping man coverage can be improved upon but those aren't essential to being a starter at TE, just being a good safety outlet for the qb. 

16 hours ago, dyst said:

Hard to believe there are still people who can’t see how screwed up everything is with this team. 

Everyone knows. Everyone agrees. But people also get sick of everything falling back to Dan. TEs get injured. A lot. That's not on Dan. He was cheap shotted by the Raider player. Thanks Dan? No. Our field is good, our trainers are good, our doctors are good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm of this thought too. And to add to it, Bates is a good blocker which will get him on the field more often, and it doesn't mean he's a tell. Plus he has good hands. He got a bad OPI call last week but he seems to have Heinicke's eye and we're seeing him get more targets. I'd like to see him get more YAC but the more important thing right now is his blocking and ability to catch the ball. Other things like finding holes in the zone and escaping man coverage can be improved upon but those aren't essential to being a starter at TE, just being a good safety outlet for the qb. 

The only problem with Bates is I think I could beat him in a 20 yard dash, and I'm a slow-ass 45 year old out of shape dad. And I'm not really exaggerating.  

He is SLOW....

But, as you said, he can catch, knows how to get open, and is a really good blocker.

I like the fact we have TEs now who are not dead giveaways as to what we are going to do.

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only problem with Bates is I think I could beat him in a 20 yard dash, and I'm a slow-ass 45 year old out of shape dad. And I'm not really exaggerating.  

He is SLOW....

But, as you said, he can catch, knows how to get open, and is a really good blocker.

I like the fact we have TEs now who are not dead giveaways as to what we are going to do.

His combine numbers were pretty similar to Kittle, despite being 15lbs heavier.

I think that one run that we were all talking about how slow he is, was partially because he was following blockers.

*I am by all means NOT saying that he is a burner at TE or even fast. He's certainly not quick or twitchy, just that he isn't as slow as your old ass*  :ols:

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2021 at 1:22 PM, Koolblue13 said:

His combine numbers were pretty similar to Kittle, despite being 15lbs heavier.

I think that one run that we were all talking about how slow he is, was partially because he was following blockers.

*I am by all means NOT saying that he is a burner at TE or even fast. He's certainly not quick or twitchy, just that he isn't as slow as your old ass*  :ols:

I missed this reply.

I mean, a slug on muscle relaxers is probably faster than me.

But he has no explosion.  He’s slow.

That said, you don’t have to be a burner. He’s good at getting position and has good hands.  I like him a lot.

But he’s not going to stretch the defense vertically.