Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins K Joey Slye

bowhunter

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I didn't know the lead singer to AC/DC was also a football player.

I was hoping for Jake Verity but I am happy that they signed someone off of a practice squad vs picking up dreg off the street like Blewitt. The Rams signed Matt Gay off the Colts' practice squad last year and have now found their long term solution.

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I didn't know the lead singer to AC/DC was also a football player.

Brian Johnson is another Virginia Tech Hokie.  He's 22 years old, born in Washington, DC.  6' 1", 185. Went to Gonzaga High School in the District.

Undrafted, signed by the Bears in May, released in the last round of cuts in August, brought back to the practice squad, signed off the Bears practice squad in October by the New Orleans Saints where he saw game action, cut by them November 9, then back to the Bears' practice squad. 

...The life of a kicker trying to stick in the NFL.

NFL stats are all with the Saints.  He's 8 for 8 on field goals in the NFL, including a long of 52 yards.  Weirdly, he's only  5 of 8 on extra points in the NFL, though he did make ALL of his 131 extra points at Tech.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, method man said:

I was hoping for Jake Verity but I am happy that they signed someone off of a practice squad vs picking up dreg off the street like Blewitt. The Rams signed Matt Gay off the Colts' practice squad last year and have now found their long term solution.

What I'd like to know is...

Can Brian Johnson chase down a 279 pound defensive lineman, over a stretch of about 80 yards ?

And do so without pulling a hammy ?

On a more relevant note, I see that he kicked a game-winner with less than 2 minutes left, for New Orleans this year. And he did it against Seattle, and on MNF !

In college, he made 100% of his 131 XP attempts.

And 76% of his 71 FG attempts.

So, here's his preseason stats with Chicago this year :

3 for 3 in XP's. And 2 for 2 in FG's

Both FG's were over 40 yards, and one of them was 54 yards.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Brian Johnson is another Virginia Tech Hokie.  He's 22 years old, born in Washington, DC.  6' 1", 185. Went to Gonzaga High School in the District.

Undrafted, signed by the Bears in May, released in the last round of cuts in August, brought back to the practice squad, signed off the Bears practice squad in October by the New Orleans Saints where he saw game action, cut by them November 9, then back to the Bears' practice squad. 

...The life of a kicker trying to stick in the NFL.

NFL stats are all with the Saints.  He's 8 for 8 on field goals in the NFL, including a long of 52 yards.  Weirdly, he's only  5 of 8 on extra points in the NFL, though he did make ALL of his 131 extra points at Tech.

5 out of 8 is bad.  It’s the reason Hopkins got cut because he missed those extra points.  It’s not like he was missing a ton of field goals.  

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Goodbye Joey Slye, I hope we see you again in the B and G.

Who knows. BJ might beat him out.

They're both kind of young and inexperienced and unproven, so either one of them could go either way.

So I would think they'd give BJ an equal chance to win the job, as somewhat of an open competition.

Slye didn't do terrible, but didn't really entrench himself in the position.

Imagine, we're about to play our 12th game, and on our 4th Kicker. That averages a new kicker about once every 3 games.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Who knows. BJ might beat him out.

They're both kind of young and inexperienced and unproven, so either one of them could go either way.

So I would think they'd give BJ an equal chance to win the job, as somewhat of an open competition.

Slye didn't do terrible, but didn't really entrench himself in the position.

Imagine, we're about to play our 12th game, and on our 4th Kicker. That averages a new kicker about once every 3 games.

Wasn't Slye perfect until the blocked extra point? He also boomed his kickoffs...I hope the next guy is as consistent as Slye guy was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Wasn't Slye perfect until the blocked extra point? He also boomed his kickoffs...I hope the next guy is as consistent as Slye guy was.

He was.

And I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but I think it really applies here : as just like people said about Heinicke - that was a small sample size from Slye.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:12 PM, -JB- said:

5 out of 8 is bad.  It’s the reason Hopkins got cut because he missed those extra points.  It’s not like he was missing a ton of field goals.  

BJ is a young inexperienced kicker. Hop was a 6+ year veteran. The young guy gets a bit more slack

On 11/30/2021 at 6:12 PM, -JB- said:

Because he wasn’t being trusted to take kicks that he had a high chance of missing when we got anywhere near the limits of his pathetic range and it effected our decision-making on 3rd and 4th downs. That’s why he was cut, not just the XP’s imo. I preached this all season until he was cut, his FG% was a complete mirage.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because he wasn’t being trusted to take kicks that he had a high chance of missing when we got anywhere near the limits of his pathetic range and it effected our decision-making on 3rd and 4th downs. That’s why he was cut, not just the XP’s imo. I preached this all season until he was cut, his FG% was a complete mirage.

I agree.  I thought he should have been cut.

• Like 1