Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From a Philly guy, can't wait until this matchup

That article is nothing but a steaming pile of biased bull****!

The eagles know they have a stacked roster and a giant question mark at quarterback so they're using wentz's struggles to convince themselves they had no choice but to move on.

I'm with you i hope wentz throws 5 touchdowns that day and we bury them.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hasnt Hurts been bad in camp though lolol

Only report I've read indicate that yes, he has. Hurts is the kind of QB that can ONLY hurt you with his legs. 

I will say I'm officially worried about our opener for three reason.

1) Doug Pederson, he's probably in Wentz's head.

2) The last loss/game for Wentz was a tragic one against the Jags.

3) Travon Walker will feast. 

Edited by CobraCommander

19 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I agree on Shanny. 

Henry has been a beast and catalyst to the Titans becoming a consistent winning franchise over the last 4 or years. 

Do you believed the Titans have been wrong in their approach the last 4 years or so? 

I’m thinking rookie year RG3 or rookie contract Russel Wilson. Of course if he becomes Mahomes and Allen, how the team gains yardage during the season will skew more towards 4500 through the air. I speculate Lance will be in the 3100-3500 yard range as far as passing yardage this upcoming season. 

How can they possibly see an elite passing QB? The dude by all reports is extremely raw. I think they see a physically gifted dude with a high floor due to physical abilities. If he becomes an elite passer, then that’s a bonus.

The QB model and how a dude gets it done is evolving, so he won’t be forced to stand in the pocket and get to his 4th and 5th read by old coaches romantic with how it “supposed/used to be done”. This benefits him as he starts his QB journey. 

I won't say the Titans have been "wrong" because I doubt they went into the whole thing saying to themselves "We need an All Pro RB and a mediocre game manager QB". They're playing the hand they have. The lucked into a great RB but a great RB is only going to last so long. If you don't have a QB who can carry the team with his arm when necessary then it won't be long until you're rebuilding again. 

And IMO they're sort of in no man's land at the moment...kind of like overpaying for a mediocre QB, though a RB's cap hit is nowhere near the same as a QB. But I just don't think they're talented enough outside of Henry go ever go all the way. So they'll keep being a good but not great team, then Henry will lose a step and they'll get rid of Tannehill and start over again, though they might have already started in drafting Willis.

So I think they're probably doing the best they can with what they have, but that doesn't change that it's not a way to have long term success in today's NFL. The "stacked roster and mediocre QB" and "Elite RB and mediocre QB" formula isn't going to last more than 4-5 years most likely. The first because you can't pay them all, the second because of the shelf life of RBs.

As far as Lance, I wouldn't be surprised if they did some RG3 type stuff with him at first. But I don't think there's any way they envision him doing that long term ala Lamar Jackson. It would be completely insane to give up three 1st round picks for a glorified RB. With regards to seeing an elite passing QB I'm sure they saw that he's raw, but I think it's more about the potential of his passing game. They probably saw a kid with a huge and accurate arm who would need time to transition to the NFL and had the athleticism to use his legs until he gets there.

41 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Only report I've read indicate that yes, he has. Hurts is the kind of QB that can ONLY hurt you with his legs. 

I will say I'm officially worried about our opener for three reason.

1) Doug Pederson, he's probably in Wentz's head.

2) The last loss/game for Wentz was a tragic one against the Jags.

3) Travon Walker will feast. 

Yeah our patchwork interior OL vs. an actually very talented Jags front scares me. But I don't think their offense will do much against our defense which appears to be getting its swagger back. 

I forsee a 20-13 type of win. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Willis is anything, then having him and Henry out there pulls everyone into the box and Willis does have the arm to take advantage of that. If their OC is decent, he should be able to scheme a lot up this year.

Yeah Willis doesn’t even have to develop into a good QB to be dangerous for them, when they feel he’s ready. See: Hurts, Jalen.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He was the guy who Ron basically said they would take if he was there at 11 no matter what but he was gone, right?

He didn't openly say it but implied so later and most beat guys especially Keim said London was their guy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Willis is anything, then having him and Henry out there pulls everyone into the box and Willis does have the arm to take advantage of that. If their OC is decent, he should be able to scheme a lot up this year.

I don't think Willis will even see the field this year outside of preseason. Tannehill is signed through 2023 (though they do have an out after this season) and Willis is very talented but super raw.

I'm guessing the earliest we'd see Willis start is 2023 unless Tannehill gets injured. 2023 will also be the last year of Henry's contract and he'll be 29 by then, so whether they sign him to another huge deal or not is probably up in the air and likely depends on whether he stays as dominant as he has been or he loses a step or two.

Henry is an absolute beast but signing a 29 year old RB to a new monster multi-year contract is a pretty iffy proposition.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

I think you guys are underselling Tannenhill a little bit.   He is been efficient for three straight seasons now.  He was 8th in QBR last year (which is basically a modified expected points added stat) and had an 83 PFF grade.   The Titans don't ask him to do a lot compared to some other QB's, but what they ask him to do, he does well.  If they asked him to do more, could he do it? I don't know, but I do feel confident he has been a good QB over the last three years.  I rank him higher than guys like Derek Carr.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think Willis will even see the field this year outside of preseason. Tannehill is signed through 2023 (though they do have an out after this season) and Willis is very talented but super raw.

I'm guessing the earliest we'd see Willis start is 2023 unless Tannehill gets injured. 2023 will also be the last year of Henry's contract and he'll be 29 by then, so whether they sign him to another huge deal or not is probably up in the air and likely depends on whether he stays as dominant as he has been or he loses a step or two.

Henry is an absolute beast but signing a 29 year old RB to a new monster multi-year contract is a pretty iffy proposition.

I think Willis will be in on some plays, but certainly not the starting QB. More Taysom Hill-esque.

And Henry wont resign with the Titans at 29. Hell go sign with whoever Tom Brady is playing for so he can win a SB. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He didn't openly say it but implied so later and most beat guys especially Keim said London was their guy.

I thought he came flat out and said it somewhere that London was there guy, and the trade down was considered after London was off the board.  I don't remember where I heard that, it was around the draft.  My mind's eye actually "sees" Ron saying it in a presser.  

Of course, it could be drugs and a hallucination.  That's always a possibility...

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I thought he came flat out and said it somewhere that London was there guy, and the trade down was considered after London was off the board.  I don't remember where I heard that, it was around the draft.  My mind's eye actually "sees" Ron saying it in a presser.  

Of course, it could be drugs and a hallucination.  That's always a possibility...

Yeah I think I heard the same. I think it was something like: London, Wilson, then Olave/Dotson. They had those guys basically ranked the same, so they decided to trade down and get whoever was left while picking up some draft capital. Its also why they didn't take the Packers trade, because they knew Dotson would be gone by the time that pick came up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

OK I don't recall him out saying it but maybe I am forgetting, I talked about it a lot on the draft thread before the draft that beat guys kept saying London is their guy.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But, the idea that this dude is a comical joke of QB and a punchline is wild to me and it feels like its everywhere.  As Peter Schrager said, Wentz is the clown of the NFL right now.  He is THE punchline of the league.   And based on some articles, feels like most of the NFL front offices concur with the national media that Wentz is really bad.

This is what legitimately baffles me...Wentz didn't even have a terrible season last year.  I know there is a recency bias to how he choked the last game of the season last year, but he had a decent season.  I would legit be shocked if he was terrible this year.  I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater or win comeback player of the year, but he's certainly going to be leaps and bounds better than what we've had for the last 4 seasons.

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think you guys are underselling Tannenhill a little bit.   He is been efficient for three straight seasons now.  He was 8th in QBR last year (which is basically a modified expected points added stat) and had an 83 PFF grade.   The Titans don't ask him to do a lot compared to some other QB's, but what they ask him to do, he does well.  If they asked him to do more, could he do it? I don't know, but I do feel confident he has been a good QB over the last three years.  I rank him higher than guys like Derek Carr.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with this.  Carr is a fringe Top 10 QB, and he’s the ant-Kirk in that he’s clutch, and can pull out wins when his team needs him.  Last year, he dragged a team that lost its head coach, with a terrible defense and his #1 WR Riggs kicked out of the league to the playoffs, and was :30 seconds from beating the eventual AFC Champion Bengals.  If Tannehill was the QB for the Raiders, they would miss the playoffs for sure.

Carr is definitely a franchise QB, and you’ll see how good he is this year with the addition of Adams.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK I don't recall him out saying it but maybe I am forgetting, I talked about it a lot on the draft thread before the draft that beat guys kept saying London is their guy.

Yeah, and I think in the post-first round presser he confirmed it openly, and then I think I might have even commented that you (quoting the beat reporters) were spot on.

Again, I'm not going to go back and find it, but I really do think he confirmed all the reports openly in a presser. 

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Unless they take a complete nose-dive, which I don't expect.  They are a tough, hard-nosed football team which is well coached. I expect them to win that division again (and make the Colts cry). The more and more I think about it, the more and more I think Reich is Jay Gruden.  It's a soft team that comes up short in big spots.  The difference is Jay had a few additional things working against him.  But that 2016 Redskins team should have won at least 11 games, gacked away the playoffs, and the whole team choked miserably in the finale.  

But back on point, yeah, I don't see Willis on the field this year at all unless it's a trick play here or there to get his feet wet.  

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Henry reminds me of AP.  AP defied the rules of logic and reason.  So does Henry.  It's rare I would say it would be worth it to sign a RB who's 29 to a new big deal. 

But, if there were an exception to that rule, it would have been AP, and now Henry.  

The question, however, is availability.  If he starts to miss games, then obviously you don't do it.