Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, redskinss said:

Kidding aside his frame definitely looks bigger and bulkier than it was even just at the tail end of his senior year.

I'm now less worried about his frame and more worried with what the obvious weight he's put on has done to his speed and athleticism. 

The criticism of him putting on obvious weight and not running at all since his last game is a valid one.

Hey, I just realized we got somebody in house that just might have insight into that exact circumstance.

Paging @Skinsinparadise what is your take, as a sprinter, on how and to what degree Jayden's apparent quick weight gain will have on his speed, quickness, agility and evasivenesd?

• Haha 1

Seriously though, did quinn and peters really pick up jayden personally and the others took an uber?

If that's confirmed that's either the biggest bluff/smokescreen in the history of the draft or its a forgone conclusion we're drafting daniels. 

I can't figure for the life of me why you'd do that and not realize it would be controversial to say the least, not to mention it alienates the rest of the guys you brought in.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I do wonder how much of this pre-draft process is about making it clear going forward that nobody knows what Peters (and by extension this org) will do. It’ll seemingly be an absolute shock to over 75% of the media if Peters actually takes Maye next Thursday night. Similar to the shock when the 49ers drafted Lance a few years back. And then nobody will think they know what we’re doing ever again. 

I’m not saying it’s a dog and pony show for that purpose, that would be stupid and wasteful. These in-person visits are extremely important. But I’m saying there is a reason this decision is being kept completely air-gapped from the rest of the world, despite the lack of consequences if it wasn’t, and there isn’t even one source leaking it or pretending to. 

We’re the #2 overall pick. Everyone on earth knows who the #1 overall pick is going to be. There’s no actual reason to keep it so hush hush, we are guaranteed our guy. They are making a point to be opaque and setting a standard going forward for this organization. Nobody will know what we’re doing or what we want—which won’t help us at #2 this year because it doesn’t matter, but will help every single time after that, going forward. 

We wouldn’t go Maye to subvert expectations or anything childish like that. But if it turns out we loved Maye, it’ll only subvert expectations because this operation is airtight. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Kidding aside his frame definitely looks bigger and bulkier than it was even just at the tail end of his senior year.

I'm now less worried about his frame and more worried with what the obvious weight he's put on has done to his speed and athleticism. 

The criticism of him putting on obvious weight and not running at all since his last game is a valid one.

Broadening his shoulders shouldn't effect his speed at all.  That's IMO the way to do it.  It's not like for example Maye is a tank.  But he's broader than Daniels. 

I got no idea if they take Daniels.  It could be him, could be Maye.

But if they take Daniels, knowing how this team operates and with all the nutrition-sports science new staff they got -- I have zero concerns about them not having a plan for him.

Any casual observation we have from a distance, I bet they dissected to death.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Seriously though, did quinn and peters really pick up jayden personally and the others took an uber?

If that's confirmed that's either the biggest bluff/smokescreen in the history of the draft or its a forgone conclusion we're drafting daniels. 

I can't figure for the life of me why you'd do that and not realize it would be controversial to say the least, not to mention it alienates the rest of the guys you brought in.

I don’t think there’s a real source on that. Nobody saying it even knew the truth about all these 20+ in-person visits overlapping until we did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

I do wonder how much of this pre-draft process is about making it clear going forward that nobody knows what Peters (and by extension this org) will do. It’ll seemingly be an absolute shock to over 75% of the media if Peters actually takes Maye next Thursday night. Similar to the shock when the 49ers drafted Lance a few years back. And then nobody will think they know what we’re doing ever again. 

I’m not saying it’s a dog and pony show for that purpose, that would be stupid and wasteful. These in-person visits are extremely important. But I’m saying there is a reason this decision is being kept completely air-gapped from the rest of the world, despite the lack of consequences if it wasn’t, and there isn’t even one source leaking it or pretending to. 

We’re the #2 overall pick. Everyone on earth knows who the #1 overall pick is going to be. There’s no actual reason to keep it so hush hush, we are guaranteed our guy. They are making a point to be opaque and setting a standard going forward for this organization. Nobody will know what we’re doing or what we want—which won’t help us at #2 this year because it doesn’t matter, but will help every single time after that, going forward. 

Breer talked about this on Finlay today.  He said its about keep all options open on the off chance they get blown away by a trade offer, its better for there to be a mystery about who they like the best versus all the world to know.  He doesn't expect a trade down though. 

Last year, Rivera told the world they are taking Forbes. There was really no advantage to that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Not confirmed to my knowledge.

The facts as I understand them:

A paparazzi photographed Jayden wheeling his mom in a suitcase at Dulles airport.

That is true.

Then that sane paparazzi wrote that Quinn was at the Airport and met Jayden. Then the paparazi claimed that the two of them walked to a car where a waiting Adam Peters joyfully greeted them.

HOWEVER THE PAPARAZI WHO GETS PAID FOR TAKING VIDEO FOR SOME UNEXPLAINED REASON NEGLECTED TO VIDEOTAPE EITHER QUINN OR PETERS.

TO ME THAT IS SUSPECT.

So absent confirmation from a reliable source or video I will remain skeptical.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since everyone is throwning stats around and we have 8 days to the draft.  A completely meaningless stat:

35 quarterbacks have won the heisman.  Not counting Williams, Daniels and B. Young the hit rate in the NFL is 25%.  If B. Young is a bust that drops to 24%.

What does this mean, nothing.  But, one could use it as an indicator based just on statistics.

The list:

https://sportsnaut.com/heisman-trophy-quarterbacks-nfl-success/#:~:text=Jim Plunkett%2C Roger Staubach and,Trophy and the Super Bowl.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t think there’s a real source on that. Nobody saying it even knew the truth about all these 20+ in-person visits overlapping until we did.

Even Keim reported Pennix had previously visited when he hadn’t. These guys are locked down. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Broadening his shoulders shouldn't effect his speed at all. 

It's not just his shoulders though, his legs, especially his quads look much thicker.

It's hard to tell because he's wearing pants and pads in most of his pictures but his legs in the pro day picture look bigger than the ones where he's wearing pads so that ought to tell ya something about how small they were at his playing weight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Just so weird to me, that no one seems to really care about this...

I don't understand what the difference between scramble and escape is. 

Also people do care. Its concerning. It doesnt seem to be making him undraftable and its not diminishing his other traits. And this is all 5 years. He clearly had a better year this past season, which is not only recent, but showing progress. Its not obtuse to think he can continue to make progress. 

Its a bet I probably wouldn't take lol. But its not crazy. Taking a change on a supremely talented player with experience and proven ability to improve his flaws is not that crazy, honestly.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don't understand what the difference between scramble and escape is. 

Also people do care. Its concerning. It doesnt seem to be making him undraftable and its not diminishing his other traits. And this is all 5 years. He clearly had a better year this past season, which is not only recent, but showing progress. Its not obtuse to think he can continue to make progress. 

Its a bet I probably wouldn't take lol. But its not crazy. Taking a change on a supremely talented player with experience and proven ability to improve his flaws is not that crazy, honestly.

I'm guessing maybe scramble means run, escape means scramble-ish away from pressure and make the throw. Or the other way around. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Dah-Dee

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Last year, Rivera told the world they are taking Forbes. There was really no advantage to that. 

Wait, did he? How did I miss that, I remember being surprised on draft night when we grabbed him. I do remember strong rumors about the position being corner though. I remember in 2022, we had a pretty good idea the FO was leaning either WR or trade down, and it wound up being both.

• Like 1

For that ringer article, balanced takes on both players.  they like both players as do I, prefer Maye as do I, so of course spot on 😎

Maye checks almost every box on the list of tools and traits you'd put together if you were building the ideal pocket passer: He has excellent height, a well-built frame, a strong arm, and the athleticism to make second-reaction plays. A two-time team captain, he plays with a steady demeanor, calm helmet, and balanced footwork as he operates from the pocket. He plays on time and typically knows where his outlets are. He shows a good feel for operating in a muddied pocket, keeping his eyes downfield as he senses pressure and climbing up or strafing laterally to buy himself time. Maye throws with an over-the-top motion and puts a lot of zip on his passes. He can drive the ball on a line on deep outs, put velocity on his deep bombs, and attack tight windows down the seams. He is capable of throwing the ball deep even when forced off-platform and has flashed the ability to speed up his motion when he needs to get the ball out quickly without resetting his feet. Maye throws accurately on the move and shows the ability to twist his torso and generate torque even when moving to his left.

Daniels was incredibly efficient playing from clean pockets in 2023, notching FBS bests in both passer rating (146.2) and average yards per attempt (11.5), per PFF. Critically, though, he was very good under pressure, too, finishing with a 123.5 passer rating (second to Bo Nix) on those plays and tossing five touchdowns with no picks while averaging 11.1 yards per attempt (first). When the play or protection breaks down, he shows instincts for moving to avoid pressure; he’s very quick in the short area and makes it hard for defenders to get their hands on him, frequently slipping through cracks before juking defenders in space. Once he’s out of the pocket, he can score from pretty much anywhere on the field. He’s not quite Lamar Jackson as a runner and scrambler, but he’s just a tier below; he takes great angles, varies his speed, jukes defenders out of their socks, and can hit the turbo booster to scoot through holes that you didn’t think were there. He’s slippery and quick when used on designed run game concepts, and his speed changes the way defenses have to line up against him. His extensive experience could be a big draw for teams looking to hit the ground running in 2024; Daniels is a five-year starter with 55 games and nearly 1,500 pass attempts on his résumé. 

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

Since everyone is throwning stats around and we have 8 days to the draft.  A completely meaningless stat:

35 quarterbacks have won the heisman.  Not counting Williams, Daniels and B. Young the hit rate in the NFL is 25%.  If B. Young is a bust that drops to 24%.

What does this mean, nothing.  But, one could use it as an indicator based just on statistics.

The list:

https://sportsnaut.com/heisman-trophy-quarterbacks-nfl-success/#:~:text=Jim Plunkett%2C Roger Staubach and,Trophy and the Super Bowl.

We had 4 of them on our roster: RG3, Marriotta, Wuerfell and Beban plus Spurrier as coach. It might be the most on that list. 

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It's not just his shoulders though, his legs, especially his quads look much thicker.

It's hard to tell because he's wearing pants and pads in most of his pictures but his legs in the pro day picture look bigger than the ones where he's wearing pads so that ought to tell ya something about how small they were at his playing weight.

Legs would help him, too.  Does that affect his speed?  Maybe.

Wilson and Hurts have been durable as QBs who have run their far share and have thick legs.

1 hour ago, illone said:

They were both (together) with the Pats for five years. Granted at that point Peters was just a scout, but yes Pioli was directly involved with hiring Peters in 2003.

So I'm sure Peters and Pioli have had in depth man to man, tell me the real deal unfiltered, discussions on Jayden.

That's good to know.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Just so weird to me, that no one seems to really care about this...

I don't care who we draft -- all I know is Ben Solak is a fricking tool. 

Dude is like 15.

And literally does not watch NFL football on Sundays because he's in church.

Edited by Hooper
  • Haha 8

Just now, Hooper said:

I don't care we draft -- all I know is Ben Solak is a fricking tool. 

Dude is like 15.

I have to admit, first time I saw or heard of him was when somebody in this thread posted his video breakdown on Daniels, and my first thought was, who is this 12-year old, is he the son of Solak and they're doing a bit?

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Wait, did he? How did I miss that, I remember being surprised on draft night when we grabbed him. I do remember strong rumors about the position being corner though. I remember in 2022, we had a pretty good idea the FO was leaning either WR or trade down, and it wound up being both.

I didn't mean it that literally but he clearly didn't keep it in house.  Days before the draft we heard he likely is the guy.  We talked about it on the draft thread at the time.   In an article that came out later, the Patriots said that they knew Washington would likely take Forbes.

Heck on draft day, as it was unfolding I among others said on that days draft thread, they got to take Gonzalez, not Fobres now.

But yeah in short, them really really liking Forbes was in play and discussed before that draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I don't care we draft -- all I know is Ben Solak is a fricking tool. 

Dude is like 15.

Thats funny cause all the stats on that page are from Ben Solaks personal film study lol 

The 'our method' section is basically Ben looks at film and then makes the charts. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wilson and Hurts have been durable as QBs who have run their far share and have thick legs.

I totally agree, I'm not saying you can't have thick legs and run well, pretty much every running back in the league has thick legs, Barkley has tree trunks.

All I'm saying is it would have been nice if jayden had confirmed he still had his speed with his bulkier legs but now we're left to wonder.