Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

If Drake Maye had taken that $8 million that Alabama offered him we’d be talking about how we are getting either him or Caleb, whichever one the Bears don’t take. JJ McCarthy would be a day three pick or UDFA after they got their asses kicked in the semi finals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I'm just gonna come out and say it.

I don't like JJ McCarthy's hair.

I'm not quite sure what it is about it.  Maybe it's just his face more generally.  But something about his hair annoys me.

It’s an indisputable fact that if Herbert had better hair coming out of Oregon he would have been picked ahead of Tua. Maybe even Burrow if styled really well. 

IMG_1842.thumb.jpeg.bc93470ecacdb8285f588550e933a071.jpeg
IMG_1844.jpeg.f82060e03b2ffc117cff52142b2e4dc8.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I agree with you there. I wouldn’t cut him for Trey Lance though and I can 100% guarantee you that Jerry Jones isn’t going to.

I'm just trying to figure out why the hell jerry traded for him in the first place if he's never gonna play him

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s an indisputable fact that if Herbert had better hair coming out of Oregon he would have been picked ahead of Tua. Maybe even Burrow if styled really well. 

IMG_1842.thumb.jpeg.bc93470ecacdb8285f588550e933a071.jpeg
IMG_1844.jpeg.f82060e03b2ffc117cff52142b2e4dc8.jpeg

No chance. If he looked like that in college he would’ve been too busy shagging all those brassy sassy Oregon co-eds to ever get good at football.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

If Drake Maye had taken that $8 million that Alabama offered him we’d be talking about how we are getting either him or Caleb, whichever one the Bears don’t take. JJ McCarthy would be a day three pick or UDFA after they got their asses kicked in the semi finals.

Yeah, I smell Columbus all over you.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

I think Jay Cutler is an even better example of this. Jeff George, people really hated. I don't think his team hated Jay in the same way but they just couldn't respond to him. Cutler was a good player, but he was never great and it wasn't just about his statistics.

Here's Devin Hester telling Shannon Sharpe that Jay Cutler had the arm, the athletic ability, the mind for the game.  But he wasn't a leader, couldn't do what leaders do etc.  To underestimate leadership or attitude is a team's detriment. 

Good point with him. I remember 15 years ago trying to figure out who was the bigger ---- between him and Rivers when they had their shouting matches, and I guessed the wrong one. I do think Cutler was fundamentally just lacking in the mental make up to be a QB as a leader. It's pretty telling when you are so out on that edge, that you're an active negative, it definitely seems like him, George and Leaf had that problem. We learned later that Leaf had a personality disorder if I remember right AND was addicted to pain killers on top of it. Or at least developed that issue. 

Another example would be Norv Turner. After his tour with the Redskins it was patently obvious he was a coordinator, but lacked the mentality to be a HC, and yet teams still tried to make it happen for multiple organizations. It may be that that Detroit OC is more of the same. We certainly know that McDaniels, that Patriot dude is the cancer version of that kind of coach, but there are also beta personalities for lack of a better word, like Norv Turner who also can't do it.

It's a nebulous think, leading: too beta, and you can't lead, too douchey, like McDaniels, and you can't either (or Cutler or George), it's a sweet spot, for QB's and for coaches. 

Edited by The Consigliere

27 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Drake Maye is a pretty good boat captain.

Jayden Daniels is a pretty good captain win it’s sunny with calm seas.

JJ McCarthy is a cabin boy.

Drake Maye I can make that without hitting the key bridge, let's go!

Jayden Daniels got it on cruise control guys, aw crap we lost power, what can I do now? Looks like a big collision ahead!

J.J. McCarthy glad I got that tug boat to get me into the Bay it's a little choppy out here! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Well yeah, such guesses are among the  easier ones to make.

The question is the how productive is that "thinking", inc. expanding  it to other guessable reasons, versus just doing in depth one on ones. Not a big deal, but I'm questioning the merit. Sort of wondering why risk an unforced error type of outcome.

Maybe it's not about the players at all. The Harris group is doing their due diligence in every facet of this organization, right down to the smallest details. Including their primary message board!  And you can obviously see how their decision to schedule all these important top-30 visits on the same day has thrown the last 9 pages of this thread into turmoil. Up is down, day is night, dogs and cats living together, and now Chump Baily has run off with illone and joined the JJ McCarthy team in the last 5min while nobody was looking. Whoever came up with this idea to schedule these visits all-together is some kinda sick genius.

Edited by mudhog
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Should have taken the 8Mil. Now he will never know what it is like to hold a national college championship trophy. Mean while J.J. gets to add another to his collection right next to his High School National championship and H.S. state championship. 

18 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I'm just trying to figure out why the hell jerry traded for him in the first place if he's never gonna play him

Because it cost next to nothing and they can see the potential in him. 

Them moving on from Dak and trying Lance in 25 is a long shot, but it's not one of the craziest long shot bets out there. 

Someone is going to be giving Lance a shot in the next year. I would bet on that. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Happy Valley.

You know what they say about happy valley...

That team prefers to be down at halftime so they can feel a little behind in the locker room.

😬👀😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In my quest to provide you with the best in analyses from the World Wide Web, I give you the very best article (using data) on Jayden Daniels:

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/jayden-daniels-looks-hauntingly-familiar

I find that it links some of the data that's been posted here in this thread. But it's combining them and the outlook is not rosy. I won't post all of it but he makes some great points, I think the top consideration is not P2S ratio or scrambling from a clean pocket percentage. It's Daniels refusal to target intermediate and over the middle:

Let’s start with the rushing, since that’s clearly what drives this comp for most — to put it simply, we have never seen any quarterback in history run the ball like Lamar Jackson has. During his college career Lamar Jackson averaged 126 Yards Per Game on the ground and 8.6 Yards Per Carry. Those numbers are simply preposterous. Daniels has averaged 71.9 Yards Per Game and 7.5 Yards Per Carry. Those numbers are very good, in fact those numbers rank Jayden 5th in Rushing Yards Per Game out of 114 drafted or draft-eligible QBs.

However, the gap between Jayden at #5 and Lamar at #1 is greater than the gap between Jayden and former Purdue quarterback David Blough, who is 71st on the list. Daniels is in the territory of guys like Josh Dobbs, Trey Lance, and Marcus Mariota — all guys who can certainly be an asset for an NFL offense on the ground, but don’t even come close to affecting defenses to the extent of Lamar Jackson. 

More concerning to me than the difference in their raw production on the ground, however, is the difference between the two’s running styles. Lamar is a notorious home run hitter, his breakaway speed and ability to outrun NFL defenders with sub 4.3 speed has allowed him to remain healthy as he’ll often avoid the crushing blows that looming linebackers would love to subject him to. In college, Lamar’s Breakaway Run% (percentage of rushing attempts that went at least 15 yards) was 42.3%. For Jayden Daniels, that mark was just 17.7%. Jalen Hurts, another largely successful NFL running QB, managed a Breakaway Run % over 30%.

Hurts and Lamar also averaged fewer Yards After Contact than Daniels, who averaged over 4 Yards After Contact per carry (Lamar was at 3.9 and Hurts was just 2.9). At first glance Daniels’ willingness to fight for yards after contact is an admirable trait, but the difference in Yards After Contact and Breakaway Run % tells is that Daniels is taking hits significantly more often when he runs than Lamar and Hurts, and that’s not a recipe for NFL longevity. 

Lamar had a career ADOT (Average Depth of Target, i.e. how many yards in the air the ball traveled on a per throw basis) of 11.9 yards, 4th highest of the 114 QBs mentioned before. Daniels was much, much more conservative, with a career ADOT of 9.1 yards ranking 76th.

Lamar also loved to pound the intermediate and deep middle of the field, with 24.5% of his non-screen passing attempts going between the hashmarks at a depth of at least 10 yards down the field, the 11th highest rate of any of the first or second-round QBs taken since 2015 along with the presumed top 5 of this year’s QB class. Jayden Daniels targeted the same area of the field just 18.1% of the time in his career, the 5th lowest rate among QBs in that group, above only Christian Hackenberg, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, and Justin Fields. Attacking the middle of the field is a vital skill for almost any successful NFL passers, as that is where defenses are often most vulnerable and where big chunk plays are available. Middle of the field passing requires throwing with anticipation and without hesitation, however, and many more conservative passers are unwilling to navigate that heavily-trafficked area

Combine the Scramble Rate with the Pressure to Sack Rate and you find that Daniels only attempted a pass on just 50.6% of his pressured dropbacks (and that number actually fell to 48.1% in his final season). I was only able to find six college QBs since 2014 that were drafted in the first three rounds or received significant NFL playing time who attempted a pass under pressure less than 60% of the time:

Sam Howell, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Jayden Daniels, Hendon Hooker, and Malik Willis. 

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

"Mariota, like Fields, appears on basically every list with Daniels. He scrambled from a clean pocket at an above average rate (though not as often as Daniels and Fields), scrambled at an above average rate overall (again not quite as often as Daniels and Fields), targeted MOF less often than those two, and like Daniels was an overly conservative deep passer. His NFL career is a tale of maddening inconsistency as he looked like a surefire star early on only to see his career disintegrate under a parade of turn downs, hits, sacks, fumbles, and injuries. A QB who takes too many sacks and won’t take chunk plays over the middle of the field but also won’t compensate by pushing the ball vertically is just not a very valuable NFL starter, unfortunately."

Maybe we really are taking Daniels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Hurts and Lamar also averaged fewer Yards After Contact than Daniels, who averaged over 4 Yards After Contact per carry (Lamar was at 3.9 and Hurts was just 2.9). At first glance Daniels’ willingness to fight for yards after contact is an admirable trait, but the difference in Yards After Contact and Breakaway Run % tells is that Daniels is taking hits significantly more often when he runs than Lamar and Hurts, and that’s not a recipe for NFL longevity.