Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right? Like simple facts about his game. Can he go through his reads or not? Coaches, execs, past QBs everybody saying yea and he excels at it. Here? No but he can run fast if you are into that. 

****s silly 

Early on I had to push back on the idea that JD was a "raw" prospect as a passer. Blew my mind.

Bunch of people saw the running numbers and didn't even bother to evaluate him as a passer.

Running is nice and all but its just an X factor. It his passing game that makes the money.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Right? Like simple facts about his game. Can he go through his reads or not? Coaches, execs, past QBs everybody saying yea and he excels at it. Here? No but he can run fast if you are into that. 

****s silly 

95% give or take of what I follow on the draft are high on Daniels.  And I follow too much.  I get every draft magazine.  i subscribe to every sports website just about.  i listen to every draft podcast i can.  I go to bed just about every night watching youtube videos on the draft.   I watch every episode of Path to the Draft.  On and on and on.  It's an unhealthy addiction for me.  My family likes to joke that my real birthday is draft day.

And a theme that continues to come up is its a great time to be a Commanders fan.   Whether its Maye or Daniels, awesome possibilities.  And here we got despair with the idea that only one QB can save the franchise and after that "meh".  To each their own but that's far from the prevailing national sentiment including from even those draftniks who prefer Maye but don't see taking him as the be all and end all.  

I feel bad for all the angst from some.  I am chilling and enjoying the ride.  Either guy would be a blast for me.

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Early on I had to push back on the idea that JD was a "raw" prospect as a passer. Blew my mind.

Bunch of people saw the running numbers and didn't even bother to evaluate him as a passer.

Running is nice and all but its just an X factor. It his passing game that makes the money.

Right. That’s the best version of him. It’s why the argument that his potential is so so much lower than the others is absurd. If he continues progressing as a passer and just manages the offense with his athleticism….it’s going to be hard to stop. 

I see Daniels and I think of Vicks Monday night Massacre. Vick torched us in every facet. He has that kind of potential. May never see it. But it’s worth thinking about and I can imagine thinking you can get something similar out of him consistently. 

It’s also, while I like Mayes youth and potential, why his age doesn’t bother me as much as it did. He has the reps and no injury history AND from what we can see few bad habits. It’s hard to get that in the NFL. 55 starts is a hell of a leg up when put into context. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

95% give or take of what I follow on the draft are high on Daniels.  And I follow too much.  I get every draft magazine.  i subscribe to every sports website just about.  i listen to every draft podcast i can.  I go to bed just about every night watching youtube videos on the draft.   I watch every episode of Path to the Draft.  On and on and on.  It's an unhealthy addiction for me.  My family likes to joke that my real birthday is draft day.

And a theme that continues to come up is its a great time to be a Commanders fan.   Whether its Maye or Daniels, awesome possibilities.  And here we got despair with the idea that only one QB can save the franchise and after that "meh".  To each their own but that's far from the prevailing national sentiment including from even those draftniks who prefer Maye but don't see taking him as the be all and end all.  

I feel bad for all the angst from some.  I am chilling and enjoying the ride.  Either guy would be a blast for me.

giphy.gif

We literally couldn’t have planned a better time to almost have the worst record. Any other season the runner up prize in the draft is basically Jason Campbell with legs. Not this time. And we have our choice? It’s almost unfair. 

We ****ing deserve it lol 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And a theme that continues to come up is its a great time to be a Commanders fan.   Whether its Maye or Daniels, awesome possibilities.  And here we got despair with the idea that only one QB can save the franchise and after that "meh". 

So if NE offered us #3 and a 2nd to swap places with us, would you be for it knowing that whichever QB is left is still an "awesome possibility?" Not singling you out SIP, but for anyone who believes that either choice comes with equal promise. I mean that extra 2nd leave us with plenty of ammo to trade up for a LT. Food for thought and ponderin'

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We literally couldn’t have planned a better time to almost have the worst record. Any other season the runner up prize in the draft is basically Jason Campbell with legs. Not this time. And we have our choice? It’s almost unfair. 

We ****ing deserve it lol 

Agree.  It feels awesome.  i do believe we deserve and earned the positive karma.  Perfect draft to tank for a change.

Plenty are high on both QBs.  I was listening to Cooley as I was picking up food tonight and was stoked to see how high he was on Daniels and he hinted that he expects to be high on Maye too.  I find it exciting.  We've been in the QB wilderness forever.  I don't buy there is only one answer for this spot.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

giphy.gif

I hope it is a wild ride and has some twists and turns in it.  A WILD ONE IF we don't take Maye at #2.  Just my take.  

32 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

So if NE offered us #3 and a 2nd to swap places with us, would you be for it knowing that whichever QB is left is still an "awesome possibility?" Not singling you out SIP, but for anyone who believes that either choice comes with equal promise. I mean that extra 2nd leave us with plenty of ammo to trade up for a LT. Food for thought and ponderin'

I would if it were up to me because I like one of these QBs more but do like both.

But am also not one of these people here who feel like they know better than Peters how to handle this.  i see some push back on the idea of trusting the FO.  That's fine but that's a strawman argument.  the argument is about trusting themselves ABOVE the FO, not the same but above the FO.  To me people are taking the point further than not trusting the FO -- they are suggesting that they know better than the FO.  That's an entirely different point than not trusting the FO implicitly.  To each their own but i trust Peters on this above my takes.   

I want what he wants.  I put in as much time as anyone here as for draft takes.  But the honeymoon for me isn't over with Peters.  I trust him on the biggest call for this franchise -- if i didn't how can I say I liked the hire?  If you can't trust him with the biggest decision for this franchise in eons than I can't see how someone can argue they trust him period -- to me its clear that they don't.   That's cool.  But I was a big Peters guy pre-hire.  I am not bailing on him before the draft.  I love what he did in FA,  He's off to a great start for me let alone hanging by a thread. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would if it were up to me because I like one of these QBs more but do like both.

But am also not one of these people here who feel like they know better than Peters how to handle this.  i see some pushback on the idea of trusting the FO.  But to me people are taking the point further than not trusting the FO -- they are suggesing that they know better than the FO.  That's an entirely different point.  to each their own but i trust Peters on this above my takes. 

I trust Peters too but I stated my point above.  :)  

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I’d be fine with trading back with New England and getting the extra second. I’m happy with all 4 of the top QBs, though I admit that Mayes inability to consistently hit on the easy throws worries me, if the coaches wanted him and could get him plus an extra 2nd, I’d be thrilled 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I would absolutely. But I don’t know enough about these guys to have a serious favorite. The org might and I would respect that if they did. But if they are willing to work with either I would absolutely take a trade back. Even something slight, to 3. 

But you have to imagine that if the Pats feel strongly enough to do that, that we probably would feel strong enough not to. 

• Like 1

Just now, CapsSkins said:

If Cooley loves Daniels and doesn't think his frame is a concern, that's persuasive to me. I think he's a pretty good (not perfect) evaluator all things considered.

Cooley did say he HAS to stop getting hit but doesn’t think it’s that hard. 

Another thing he said that I never considered is that basically every college game has playoff implications and that’s probably why he played like it was his last down every down. Cause they had to score 40 to win every game. 

• Like 2

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Baylor
2008 Baylor Big 12 FR QB 12 160 267 59.9 2091 7.8 8.4 15 3 142.0
2009 Baylor Big 12 SO QB 3 45 69 65.2 481 7.0 8.1 4 0 142.9
*2010 Baylor Big 12 SO QB 13 304 454 67.0 3501 7.7 7.9 22 8 144.2
*2011 Baylor Big 12 JR QB 13 291 402 72.4 4293 10.7 11.8 37 6 189.5

Passing
Career Overall         953 1438 66.3 12750 8.9 9.5 89 20 158.4
  Arizona State         451 723 62.4 6025 8.3 8.4 32 13 143.4
  LSU         502 71
*2019 Arizona State Pac-12 FR QB 12 205 338 60.7 2943 8.7 9.4 17 2 149.2
2020 Arizona State Pac-12 SO QB 4 49 84 58.3 701 8.3 9.0 5 1 145.7
*2021 Arizona State Pac-12 JR QB 13 197 301 65.4 2381 7.9 7.1 10 10 136.2
*2022 LSU SEC SR   14 266 388 68.6 2913 7.5 8.0 17 3 144.5
*2023 LSU SEC SR QB 12 236 327 72.2 3812 11.7 13.6 40 4 208.0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Get ready for RG3 part 2 if they draft JD. 

I can't predict the future but have stated many times that stick man, sorry but that is what he reminds me of, will be broken in two or will suffer many injuries or a career ending injury just like RG3 did and have a short NFL career.  I have stated this before.  He couldn't escape all the time with his feet in CFB and definitely won't be able to in the Pros.  If he had the frame to take the hits fine but I am concerned about a QB that I don't think will hold the weight as it will come off with playing and eventually will be beaten up.  Again, my opinion and I would hope it be seen as one that is legit and serious.  Peace!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

There are two things I was concerned about with Daniels passing:

1. he has an average arm.  He can’t drive the ball into tight windows.  Apparently Cooley said he would have a hard time with a 17 yard comeback or something like that.  You can mitigate some of that with timing.  

2. I thought based on what o saw he threw mostly to guys after they had made the break.  See it open and throw.

If Peters thinks he throws with anticipation, I’d go with that assessment over mine.  I didn’t watch all the games. Clearly he knows more than me.  

Those are the two things I saw.  But God knows I know nothing so if Peters sees it differently then I’d bet on his evaluation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If Cooley loves Daniels and doesn't think his frame is a concern, that's persuasive to me. I think he's a pretty good (not perfect) evaluator all things considered.

Cooley is a one time TE and painter and Pro football contributor and analyst, bless him and I disagree with his assessment as many will mine.  Love Peters and think he's done a masterful job in FA but drafting JD is a mistake via my comments.  We have a forum with different opinions and that's the beauty of it.  I hope JD proves me BIG TIME wrong if Peters draft him.  :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

Cooley loved Jayden, said he can get up to 225lbs within 2 years. Loves him so much that he said there is no need to do more film breakdown. Said Jayden should be the pick at #2.

He said if you only look at passing plays, he is already a human highlight reel

Said he had great footwork and mechanics

Sais he makes every through, accurately and with touch

Sais he is an amazing athlete that can run for 40 yards on any given play. Said he can outrun a defense and loves his burst and acceleration 

Sais he reads defenses really well and goes through his progressions really well.

Said he layers the ball over the middle reall well

loves his deep ball and thinks he can throw it a long way

sais he is likes his frame and has an athletic body, thinks he can add 15lbs in 2 years if he had to

sais he opens the door for the offense to do a lot as a rookie qb, said he could be as good as stroud his rookie year

his only negative was that he doesn’t have the arm strength to rifle in a 17 yard comeback into tight coverage, but thinks he will be able to make up for it with timing.

Thanks to the endless list of voices in media getting endlessly repeated, and the mostly new JD guys here, we who prefer Maye (but think JDs legit too) get it. 

It is obvious JD is like if Michael Vick, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady had their DNA spliced together and turned into a human who was then raised by a gamma-ray drenched stage mom.

5a3ff04888a7f_beerape.jpg.af6903c8b67c948881cf8e1de99e5524.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

Thanks to the endless list of voices in media getting endlessly repeated, and the mostly new JD guys here, we who prefer Maye (but think JDs legit too) get it. 

It is obvious JD is like if Michael Vick, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady had their DNA spliced together and turned into a human who was then raised by a gamma-ray drenched stage mom.

Sure you didn't mean to post this picture?   Just asking.  :ols: 

Every Which Way But Loose (1978) - IMDb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mac8887 said:

Ballsy take right here. If he does end up taking Daniels and he ends up balling out and your guy busts, you’ve left yourself open. I applaud the confidence and conviction 

No no no! Don't encourage him.😬

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Someone had asked for a breakdown of what Cooley said a few pages back, I had flipped over to the JJ bandwagon, but Cooley might’ve got me back on the Daniels bandwagon. I still worry though because of the Malik nabers every target video that I had posted had a few throws that I thought Daniels should’ve made. 

Im one of those guys that think if these guys are getting paid huge bucks to throw the ball, than 99 times out of a hundred if a guy is open you should at least give him a catchable ball. And I’m even worse with receivers, if they can get 2 hands on the ball and don’t come up with it, it infuriates me. These nfl players get to mess up just as much as a weather man and still keep their jobs.

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Your reference to Brady triggered a memory of reading how Brady was once listed as "scrawny" in his pre-draft profile, so I looked up his measurements. Brady was 6'4" and 211 lbs at draft time. Almost the exact same as JD, although I do see a difference in frame that allows one of them to add 10-15 pounds more readily than the other.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Passing

Passing
Career Baylor
2008 Baylor Big 12 FR QB 12 160 267 59.9 2091 7.8 8.4 15 3 142.0
2009 Baylor Big 12 SO QB 3 45 69 65.2 481 7.0 8.1 4 0 142.9
*2010 Baylor Big 12 SO QB 13 304 454 67.0 3501 7.7 7.9 22 8 144.2
*2011 Baylor Big 12 JR QB 13 291 402 72.4 4293 10.7 11.8 37 6 189.5

Passing
Career Overall         953 1438 66.3 12750 8.9 9.5 89 20 158.4
  Arizona State         451 723 62.4 6025 8.3 8.4 32 13 143.4
  LSU         502 71
*2019 Arizona State Pac-12 FR QB 12 205 338 60.7 2943 8.7 9.4 17 2 149.2
2020 Arizona State Pac-12 SO QB 4 49 84 58.3 701 8.3 9.0 5 1 145.7
*2021 Arizona State Pac-12 JR QB 13 197 301 65.4 2381 7.9 7.1 10 10 136.2
*2022 LSU SEC SR   14 266 388 68.6 2913 7.5 8.0 17 3 144.5
*2023 LSU SEC SR QB 12 236 327 72.2 3812 11.7 13.6 40 4 208.0

Pretty deep and well thought out analysis. Can’t argue with that! 

• Haha 2