Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with your logic.

I was just saying that I don't know why the coaches prefer Daniels.  Some have speculated on the reasons.  And those could be right.  But I don't know.  Keim hasn't elaborated aside from two points -- coaches he talked to pick Daniels and don't see it super close.  And some of the Matt Miller criticisms of Maye have been echoed by some of the people he talked too (comes off like he's talking about the same coaches).  That's it.

Some on the thread have come up for reasons for all this.  Coaches prefer the short term success if that's how they see the difference and personnel people would see it differently.  Or some stragglers here think Keim has lost his touch and is finally being played or has become a bit of a fan boy and is letting his preferences bias what he hears.  I've rejected the later point -- comes off silly to me -- its just killing the messenger.  But as the former point, I think its possible that personnel people prefer Maye and coaches like Daniels -- just saying I don't know, Keim isn't explaining.

And to defend Keim a little bit more he's not really emphaisizing these points but when he's asked he responds.  As I said in another post, I don't get the vibe at all that he thinks Maye can't be the pick here.  He's simply saying if he had to guess, he'd guess Daniels based on what these coaches think of the two QBs.  And that felt more pro Daniels listening to him than anything anti-Maye. 

I think its awfully presumptuous of us to assume we know anything more than Keim, who he is talking to or the coaches. The Idea that Quinn or any other coach is only interested in the right now, because duh they are a coach, and any of us have a longer outlook then they do is silly to me. That's besides the fact that there is literally zero proof of this. Especially when it comes to us. Why wouldn't Quinn be thinking about 5 years from now? He wants to be the next Andy Reid. His plan is to win multiple SuperBowls. Dude wants to be right here, winning. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jg77 said:

It's funny reading the posts in this thread because it's really just excuse after excuse why Drake has some glaring issues.

That's far from an accurate, intelligent generalization of "the posts in this thread."

The pro/con evals of JD and DM have largely been pretty solid. If there's been one side more over the top in one way or another it's been the JD fans. We haven't had a bunch of Maye boosters come out of the woodwork to very assertively declare their choice but we sure have for JD. Which is fine, just keeping it real.

I've posted in here more than a few times that mis-characterizing discussions on this board in a demeaning manner is not ok.   

In the future quote the post(s) you are applying your criticisms to, and be specific in your critique. 😉

It will keep you from appearing to troll more than to discuss. 👍

It's good advice for everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well, I could see them wanting to bring in Daniels so their own docs could run extensive tests on him, bone density and ct scans etc etc, because of the frame concerns.  They don't have those same concerns about Maye, and they *just* met with him before his pro day, so could be if the Daniels rumors are true, they're waiting for test results before deciding whether to bring Maye in for visit.

I still think it's been Maye all along and the Daniels stuff is lying season smoke.

Yea someone said that to me earlier and im choosing to ignore it so I can feel good about knowing we are drafting Maye. 

This whole thing (for me) has been about hedging my bets so im happy about whoever we get lol. Im sick. I just wanna enjoy football again. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

So a total write off?  No, but we aren't trying to "win now" either.  And I think that gives us flexibility to do whatever is best for the new QB and not worry about rushing him in.

We pick a QB at #2…

How long would you be prepared to give that player to develop before they are at a level competent enough to start ? A season ?

21 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

That's the problem. He's talking to coaches. They don't make the picks here anymore. Why isn't he saying all the scouts prefer Daniels? Because they don't or they are doing their jobs and not talking.

Ron Rivera, naturally, would most definitely take Daniels though, or maybe even Nix. :P

I hear you.  But Keim of course has a right to make a guess based on what he's hearing.  Breer is doing, Schefter among others based on whatever crumbs they hear at the proday.  Keim is doing it based on people he trusts, specific coaches, to make evaluations.   But he's not saying its definitive or this is who they will take because of it.  He's saying based on that info if he had to guess he'd guess Daniels.  That's all.  He also doesn't seem to think it will be McCarthy but doesn't elaborate.

Usually Keim doesn't spitball and sometimes he reveals later he knew more than he let on.  I gather he doesn't want to burn sources.  Maybe that point is in play here or maybe it isn't will see.

But if people ask him if he had to guess who would he guess?   It's OK for him to answer.  It's also OK for some to think coaches opinions are meaningless.  He clearly disagrees.  It's OK either way.

I know Keim mentioning Quinn had a decent shot at the job, some found irritable back at that time, and some dismissed it.  The parallels to me to that is simply based on what Keim is guessing I think there is at least a viable shot that they take Daniels.  They might take Maye.  And McCarthy feels more like a long shot.

But at a minimum at least for me I am not ruling out Daniels as a possiblity.  And it doesn't bother me that Keim has opined on it when asked.

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 3.23.18 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We pick a QB at #2…

How long would you be prepared to give that player to develop before they are at a level competent enough to start ? A season ?

I'm okay giving whomever we pick - Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, anyone - a redshirt season.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Let’s be honest, there’s a pile of defensive Maye talk in here today. 

I'll push back. "Honest " is an interesting term to use in this matter. What I see in your posts, and have seen for quite awhile, is not just a JD preference, but a strong bias.

I definitely don't see a pile of defensive (implication being "overly" so) Maye talk.

Maybe a little, but only maybe, and only a little.

Not that it makes you any less a terrific ES poster. 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jg77 said:

That QB school episode on this year's draft prospects was very good.

"If he's such a good QB then why doesn't he throw good" - regarding Drake Maye.

It's funny reading the posts in this thread because it's really just excuse after excuse why Drake has some glaring issues.

This is such a disingenuous post that it calls into question anything else you post. It’s not a direct quote from the video, and doesn’t even relay the spirit of the message of the video. It in fact directly contradicts the message of the video, where he acknowledges plenty of great throws and talks about what can be done to fix errant throws (and admits also that he could be wrong and why, which is the opposite of the energy you have in your posts).

This makes you come across like the least objective observer possible and not a worthwhile addition to the conversation. Why post like this  

• Like 4

Generally commentary… I don’t know about you guys but I am absolutely petrified of taking the wrong guy at 2, and having the guy we passed on go on to be a pro bowler with New England. 

And either way. If Maye struggles and gets gun shy, and Daniels turns into the next Lamar. If Daniels has an RG3 career and Maye turns into the next Josh Allen. Or hell, if both of them turn out mediocre and McCarthy turns into a pro bowler for whoever trades to 4. 

We’ve been through so much collectively as a fan base and finally seem to have a glimmer of hope with new ownership and staff. If our QB busts and the ones we pass on are successful, I’ll be crushed. 

• Like 5

Just now, TheGoodBits said:

Generally commentary… I don’t know about you guys but I am absolutely petrified of taking the wrong guy at 2, and having the guy we passed on go on to be a pro bowler with New England. 

And either way. If Maye struggles and gets gun shy, and Daniels turns into the next Lamar. If Daniels has an RG3 career and Maye turns into the next Josh Allen. Or hell, if both of them turn out mediocre and McCarthy turns into a pro bowler for whoever trades to 4. 

We’ve been through so much collectively as a fan base and finally seem to have a glimmer of hope with new ownership and staff. If our QB busts and the ones we pass on are successful, I’ll be crushed. 

I hear you but with good ownership, front office, coaching staff, and roster... there will be other chances to get a good QB. Maybe not #2 overall in a "stacked" class, but it's not like this is the only opportunity for the next 30 years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I hear you but with good ownership, front office, coaching staff, and roster... there will be other chances to get a good QB. Maybe not #2 overall in a "stacked" class, but it's not like this is the only opportunity for the next 30 years. 

Not when we have the 32nd pick year after year 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I'll push back. "Honest " is an interesting term to use in this matter. What I see in your posts, and have seen for quite awhile, is not just a JD preference, but a strong bias.

I definitely don't see a pile of defensive (implication being "overly" so) Maye talk.

Maybe a little, but only maybe, and only a little.

Not that it makes you any less a terrific ES poster. 😁

I’d take both Caleb and JJ over Daniels and Maye……

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm okay giving whomever we pick - Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, anyone - a redshirt season.

I can’t get that logic at all, not for anyone picked at #2. Trade back if so and take a guy at #10 with a boat load of other picks…..

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's been awhile since that analogy hit me.  I'll find a way to fit it in soon.  😎

Please do, it’s one of your better ones.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Let’s be honest, there’s a pile of defensive Maye talk in here today. 

Daniels gets strongly linked. Next thing it’s all about sitting Maye :ols:

You have a habit of trying to position yourself to be perceived as an unbiased poster who is good with whatever happens while being one of the most opinionated people in here. It was only a couple weeks ago that there were mere hours between a post of yours outwardly rooting for Maye to be drafted by the Giants because you dislike him so much, to insisting that you think Maye is also a good prospect and you would be happy no matter the outcome. It’s an bit intellectually dishonest imo.

So before policing the narrative of others’ posts, you should start with your own. I know there’s a ton of posts in here but what you say doesn’t get lost in the shuffle lol, you aren’t above it all or an unbiased outsider observing the fray from afar lol. You are contributing

• Haha 1

I've done more reading than posting on this subject, and for good reason. There's a lot of good deep evaluations and arguments to be made from all of you. I have to admit that I feel a twinge of disappointment when I read that some of the beat and national reporters think we're leaning toward JD. I just don't see it. No sense in me re-hashing the arguments against him, lord knows we all are tiring of the point/counter point thing and wanting some real "news." I did bring myself to watch some JD highlights again, hoping to see something I might have missed earlier, but I still see a lot of passes to wide open guys and/or LSU receivers just being on a different tier than the defenses faced. However, on film he did not look as skinny as I thought. Not E.Forbes skinny anyway, so Kudos to LSU uniform and makeup departments.

I like Maye, he's my guy. And I'm ecstatic that a guy like him is even a possibility for us without having to mortgage the future. Maye looks strong, smart, has a true NFL howitzer arm, plenty mobile, and is credited as being a super hard worker and man of character. The type of guy we would dream of having just about any other year. This shouldn't be a tough decision, but since it is, there must be something to JD case. I need to get the RG3 love affair and heartbreak out of my system, JD isn't Robert and it's not fair to him predict the same career path, but I do. No one should feel dis-Mayed on draft day.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think its awfully presumptuous of us to assume we know anything more than Keim, who he is talking to or the coaches. The Idea that Quinn or any other coach is only interested in the right now, because duh they are a coach, and any of us have a longer outlook then they do is silly to me. That's besides the fact that there is literally zero proof of this. Especially when it comes to us. Why wouldn't Quinn be thinking about 5 years from now? He wants to be the next Andy Reid. His plan is to win multiple SuperBowls. Dude wants to be right here, winning. 

34 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im telling you. The ONLY (good) reason to invite Daniels and not Maye to the facility is because he is already ready to go with Maye and doesnt need to see much else. If this is true about him going to UNC practices, then it just confirms it all for me. 

??? Which one is it? 

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d take both Caleb and JJ over Daniels and Maye……

Noted.

And Caleb, sure, JJ....eh....think he's got a very good resume' but not one of those who have him that quite far up the chain.

Lost souls we be, we will just have to hope whoever they take out of the list helps give us the sense we're s quality, always competitive team that threatens to at least win the division regularly enough as opposed to being a regular bottom dweller.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

You probably should stick to badminton or table tennis then because this team hasn't selected a successful first round Qb since the Great Depression. He'll even that old commander in the rye dude wasn't even born yet. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

You have a habit of trying to position yourself to be perceived as an unbiased poster who is good with whatever happens while being one of the most opinionated people in here. It was only a couple weeks ago that there were mere hours between a post of yours outwardly rooting for Maye to be drafted by the Giants because you dislike him so much, to insisting that you think Maye is also a good prospect and you would be happy no matter the outcome. It’s an bit intellectually dishonest imo.

So before policing the narrative of others’ posts, you should start with your own. I know there’s a ton of posts in here but what you say doesn’t get lost in the shuffle lol, you aren’t above it all or an unbiased outsider observing the fray from afar lol. You are contributing

Bloody hell, who took the serious pills today. What a disappointing post.

46 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im telling you. The ONLY (good) reason to invite Daniels and not Maye to the facility is because he is already ready to go with Maye and doesnt need to see much else. If this is true about him going to UNC practices, then it just confirms it all for me. 

They will invite Maye to the facility, if it hasn’t already been set it will be. Even if you’re 100% sure, you don’t pass up the opportunity to spend more time with your future franchise QB to be absolutely sure. It just hasn’t leaked yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

You probably should stick to badminton or table tennis then because this team hasn't selected a successful first round Qb since the Great Depression. He'll even that old commander in the rye dude wasn't even born yet. :P

LOL it's different now. Honestly I was not even the least bit interested when they drafted Haskins. It was a Snyder pick with a Snyder team. It felt inevitable that he was going to fail. I've been freebasing pure unfiltered hope since the team was sold, and a #2 overall QB bust would be such a damn buzzkill. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Lost souls we be, we will just have to hope whoever they take out of the list helps give us the sense we're s quality, always competitive team that threatens to at least win the division regularly enough as opposed to being a regular bottom dweller.

8lq26p.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1