Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What makes Daniels a better prospect than Fields?  I think Fields is bigger (weight wise by about 30 lbs).  My perception is Fields has a stronger arm.  Is that true?  Daniels might have more high-end speed and better acceleration.  

Thoughts? 

Recency bias, SEC bias. 

If they were both in the same draft I think Fields gets the edge due to size, but I Daniels might have a slightly quicker release. (Fields has that Jason Campbell wind up)  justin definitely has the stronger arm…

To be clear, I dont think Daniels is a better prospect than Fields. 

Just now, illone said:

Recency bias, SEC bias. 

If they were both in the same draft I think Fields gets the edge due to size, but I Daniels might have a slightly quicker release. (Fields has that Jason Campbell wind up)  justin definitely has the stronger arm…

Another thing I commented about earlier but nobody seems to agree. On certain throws Maye has a long windup as well, not every throw but throws down the field. I then switched to Daniels and the ball came out far more quickly.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I won't discuss Kirk anymore but it's odd that we can talk about Justin Fields but not Kirk Cousins.  Another example of why I do not understand why he is so polarizing.  

Fields is on the trade block at the moment.

As far as Kirk there's also just too much history of people getting into dumb debates about a guy who's not even on this team anymore. This thread turning into another one of those would make the day stupid for everyone. Best to just let it go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Other than Tom Brady, who was in a unique situation, name me one professional athlete who didn't try to maximize their income in their short window of opportunity. He was just better at it than others.  For this he is hated for being smart? Not in my book.  

I think the fact he's signing to his third team and receiving yet another big payday paints him as a detached mercenary, add on top of that the stark inequivalence between his performance and expectations of him as manifested by his compensation, and it paints him as a detached mercenary who doesn't produce.

• Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

As far as Kirk there's also just too much history of people getting into dumb debates about a guy who's not even on this team anymore. This thread turning into another one of those would make the day stupid for everyone. Best to just let it go.

Quoted for dramatic effect. 

I will be happy to tell all of you why you are not only wrong about him, but also address the amusingly indirect 'shilling for billionaires'  silliness here however --->  

Lets not ruin a good thread with stuff on Llevrons educational level. Please. 

Edited by Llevron

Daniels is a better prospect than Fields was. I did not like Fields at all. Daniels I like, and if we were picking 3rd I'd be thrilled to take him. But he is clearly QB3 in this class.

Fields should not have even been a 1st rounder. Dude had no ability to process whatsoever.

34 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Thoughts? 

Accuracy and mechanics are the biggies.

Daniels strikes me as a MUCH more accurate passer.

When presented with the stressors of the NFL, Fields accuracy is terrible. He struggles to complete 60% of his passes. Just horribly inconsistent.

Daniels has displayed great accuracy. Remains to be seen if it holds up in the NFL but he just put up the best passing efficiency rating in FBS history with most of his marks demolishing some of the best we have seen from Fields, and he had some great college numbers in some areas.

Even now, Fields mechanics are still pretty bad.

Daniels mechanics are pretty good. And the speed at which he executes his footwork and throws is legit top shelf.

Fields is certainly bigger at 6'3 227. Daniels likely taller at 6'4

They are both crazy fast so speed is splitting hairs They can both make house calls.

In terms of running ability tho... Fields has translated well to the NFL, but statistically he is a fraction of the college rusher Jayden is. Dude put up more yards in 2023 than Fields did in his 3 year college career.

Daniels strikes me as an average NFL arm strength. I'd think fields arm is stronger.

So I think JD projects to be a more accurate and efficient passer while both have gamebreaking running ability.

Gimmie the better passer every day of the week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, illone said:

Recency bias, SEC bias. 

Well Daniels is probably the most dynamic running QB since Lamar, so that’s a starter for one. Fields isn’t even in the same conversation as Daniels as a runner. 

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Accuracy and mechanics are the biggies.

Daniels strikes me as a MUCH more accurate passer.

When presented with the stressors of the NFL, Fields accuracy is terrible. He struggles to complete 60% of his passes. Just horribly inconsistent.

Daniels has displayed great accuracy. Remains to be seen if it holds up in the NFL but he just put up the best passing efficiency rating in FBS history with most of his marks demolishing some of the best we have seen from Fields, and he had some great college numbers in some areas.

Even now, Fields mechanics are still pretty bad.

Daniels mechanics are pretty good. And the speed at which he executes his footwork and throws is legit top shelf.

Fields is certainly bigger at 6'3 227. Daniels likely taller at 6'4

They are both crazy fast so speed is splitting hairs They can both make house calls.

In terms of running ability tho... Fields has translated well to the NFL, but statistically he is a fraction of the college rusher Jayden is. Dude put up more yards in 2023 than Fields did in his 3 year college career.

Daniels strikes me as an average NFL arm strength. I'd think fields arm is stronger.

So I think JD projects to be a more accurate and efficient passer while both have gamebreaking running ability.

Gimmie the better passer every day of the week.

This is not an attack on you because I feel we have been in agreement on a lot, more so just my thoughts on arm strength argument against Jayden that I see here. The arm strength argument is so overblown in the NFL. Haskins and Fields both have good arms and what has that done for them? Jeff George probably had the best arm I’ve ever seen :lol:

Edited by BayouBrave86

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

The arm strength argument is so overblown in the NFL. Haskins and Fields both have good arms and what has that done for them? Jeff George probably had the best arm I’ve ever seen

I'm not afraid of JD making any throw in the playbook. His arm is plenty strong enough to complete them all.

But I think his arm strength is right around NFL average.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Well Daniels is probably the most dynamic running QB since Lamar, so that’s a starter for one. Fields isn’t even in the same conversation as Daniels as a runner. 

No way, Richardson takes the cake there. 6'4 245lbs and runs a 4.4 40.

Edited by mistertim

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No way, Richardson takes the cake there. 6'4 245lbs and runs a 4.4 40.

Just because he has 40 lbs on Jayden doesn’t mean he is a better runner. Jayden had 2000 rushing yards at LSU  in 2 seasons playing against the same competition. He’s a much better passer than Richardson too. Richardson is a freak athlete but doesn’t mean he is a better football player. 

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This thread turning into another one of those would make the day stupid for everyone.

In that case let me brighten up the mood then. With Kirk in ATL.. TH is about to get a SB ring. :bye:

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Daniels is a better prospect than Fields was. I did not like Fields at all. Daniels I like, and if we were picking 3rd I'd be thrilled to take him. But he is clearly QB3 in this class.

Fields should not have even been a 1st rounder. Dude had no ability to process whatsoever.

This is a prime example of recency bias. 

In college Fields had a better season than Daniels’ Heisman year.  He processed his way to 41 TDs and only 3 ints. Its much easier to process things against college defenses than the pros. 

When comparing college players (as draft prospects) you have to forget the NFL tape and try to compare apples to apples. Its hard to do, I get it, but tons of mock drafts had Fields in the top 3, same as Daniels. 

4 minutes ago, illone said:

This is a prime example of recency bias. 

In college Fields had a better season than Daniels’ Heisman year.  He processed his way to 41 TDs and only 3 ints. Its much easier to process things against college defenses than the pros. 

When comparing college players (as draft prospects) you have to forget the NFL tape and try to compare apples to apples. Its hard to do, I get it, but tons of mock drafts had Fields in the top 3, same as Daniels. 

What? :lol: Jayden’s season was historic. He threw for more yards than Fields with one less TD and one more INT while also rushing for over 1100 yards and another 10 TDs in 12 games vs Fields 14 games. In what universe is Fields 2019 season better? 

Edited by BayouBrave86

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Mariota? That is the first bad signing. Not a fan at all.

He's not bad as a backup, I just don't like signing a guy who literally quit on his team just a couple years ago.

• Like 2

Let's also remember that Fields was very accurate and had extremely high completion percentages in college. But this is also one danger of a college QB who had tons of short throws and tons of boundary throws to open receivers. That completion percentage can be inflated in those cases. Now that Fields is in the NFL and has to make more of those tight window and anticipation throws, we see that his accuracy in that area leaves much to be desired. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's not bad as a backup, I just don't like signing a guy who literally quit on his team just a couple years ago.

He got benched and then got knee surgery because Arthur Smith told him it was over in Atlanta and he wanted to be healthy enough to get a job the next year.  The media painted him as a quitter for this, but they don't criticize teams for screwing over players by making them play hurt and put off surgeries even when they're going to replace the guy.  That's what sent Baker Mayfield's career sideways.  Mariota is a good dude.

14 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Sam Howell is getting traded probably.  

Mariota certainly seems to indicate the way they are leaning at #2

Dunno - wasn't Mariota with Brian Johnson the last few years? Couldn't this just be another hiring to help install whatever pass concepts they will be running? I assume someone in the room to help a rookie learn the lingo is paramount. 

• Like 1