Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Idk what a pro style offense even is anymore. Other than the 9ers everyones in shotgun the vast majority of the time.

Pro style system just means “professional style” not necessarily pro formation. It used to have that double meaning. It speaks on reads, verbiage, styles, etc.

Griffin played in a college offense with simple reads.

Luck played in a pro style system with NFL style reads.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

I love his podcast… and I just watched this podcast where he mentioned JJ, and to be honest, I totally agreed w/every word he said… he mentioned the guy Laser and think about it, it’s not always the best but the best suited for the NFL… JJ ran the offense that pretty much mirrored that of a NFL style scheme… I’ve been saying it for awhile now (even before the combine) I think when the dust settles and years go by McCarthy will be the best QB taken from this draft… also a side note, watch some of the other podcasts where he talks about the combine being useless, and where the WR have doped the NFL in paying them more then they’re worth… both very good podcasts

McCarthy is known to watch a lot of film and his football IQ increased every season he was at Michigan. During the 2023 campaign, McCarthy was trusted to call protections and check in and out of plays at the line depending on what he saw from the defense.

J.J. McCarthy Draft Profile | Michigan, QB Scouting Report

Far more than once, McCarthy reassured onlookers with his development in 2023, showing improved pocket poise, mechanical rhythm, decision-making, and active anticipation and field manipulation.

Edited by FrFan

5 minutes ago, FrFan said:

McCarthy is known to watch a lot of film and his football IQ increased every season he was at Michigan. During the 2023 campaign, McCarthy was trusted to call protections and check in and out of plays at the line depending on what he saw from the defense.

J.J. McCarthy Draft Profile | Michigan, QB Scouting Report

Far more than once, McCarthy reassured onlookers with his development in 2023, showing improved pocket poise, mechanical rhythm, decision-making, and active anticipation and field manipulation.

Wait, so McCarthy lied in his press conference when he said that he couldn't check to different plays at the LoS based on what he saw, but "wished" he could?

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wait, so McCarthy lied in his press conference when he said that he couldn't check to different plays at the LoS based on what he saw, but "wished" he could?

Do you have a link ? In what context did he say that ?

Edited by FrFan

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Do you have a link ? In what context did he say that ?

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-jj-mccarthy-michigan-scouting-combine

JJ in meeting with our team at the combine:

Coach Kliff Kingsbury was just like, 'Hey, if you get a matchup out here and you really like it, could you just switch it to a go on the outside?' I told him 'I wish.' Just little stuff like that. It was just great to meet them. Great to talk ball with them. I had a lot of fun doing it."

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mh86 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-jj-mccarthy-michigan-scouting-combine

JJ in meeting with our team at the combine:

Coach Kliff Kingsbury was just like, 'Hey, if you get a matchup out here and you really like it, could you just switch it to a go on the outside?' I told him 'I wish.' Just little stuff like that. It was just great to meet them. Great to talk ball with them. I had a lot of fun doing it."

I wouldn't read too much into that  he also said : "It was my first one, so I was like super nervous I'm not going to lie. I was sweating a little bit."

I will trust this guy instead ;) : Tom Brady agrees with Jim Harbaugh calling JJ McCarthy Michigan’s greatest quarterback: ‘No doubt!!!’

Ultimately and usually time will tell.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

What? Is Schlereth doing the thing that misguided posters here were called out for—assuming that being in a “pro style” offense means McCarthy has control at the line of scrimmage? He absolutely does not. He has no authority before the snap, he straight up said it in his Combine media availability. He “wished” he did. Schlereth just got caught in 4K not actually studying these guys imo. 

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Idk what a pro style offense even is anymore. Other than the 9ers everyones in shotgun the vast majority of the time.

A lot of analysis who are lazy just assume “under center = pro style.”

Its not the case.

McCarthy did not have control of the game at the LOS by his own admission.  But that isn’t necessarily the difference.

to what @KDawg posted earlier, I interpret pro style as more complex route combinations and asking the QB to process through more information post-snap rather than 1-2 go run.  

The offense is predicated on the interwoven routes creating favorable matchups and then the QB underrating based on the defensive look which matchup is correct and reading through the progressions to get to the open receiver.

That can be done out of shotgun or under center.

In watching just 2 of McCarthy’s games, I definitely saw some pro style concepts. And props to the offense, it sprang the first read wide open a lot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I wouldn't read too much into that  he also said : "It was my first one, so I was like super nervous I'm not going to lie. I was sweating a little bit."

I will trust this guy instead ;) : Tom Brady agrees with Jim Harbaugh calling JJ McCarthy Michigan’s greatest quarterback: ‘No doubt!!!’

So you think he got so nervous that he straight up lied? And not only that, but lied in a way that may have made him look less appealing? This makes zero sense.

And holy crap. An alum from a college said another alum from the same college is great? Stop the presses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FrFan said:

What school did Brady go to again? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moondog said:

It’s more about the defense’s inability to take the ball away than anything. 

This is everything in the modern NFL. The rules are so slanted towards offenses that takeaways are all that really matter on defense anymore. The more chances you give your offense the better chance you have at winning. That has of course always been the case in football. But it is more amplified now with the rule changes over the past 20 years. 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So you think he got so nervous that he straight up lied? And not only that, but lied in a way that may have made him look less appealing? This makes zero sense.

And holy crap. An alum from a college said another alum from the same college is great? Stop the presses.

"the two had a "good vibe." Whether that translates to the franchise taking the Michigan quarterback is unknown, but the pair do appear to have hit it off at the Combine." Good vibes hitting off with a "liar" ? :D

He didn't say great but the greatest, Brady values him more than himself at the same stage.

Edited by FrFan

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pro style system just means “professional style” not necessarily pro formation. It used to have that double meaning. It speaks on reads, verbiage, styles, etc.

Griffin played in a college offense with simple reads.

Luck played in a pro style system with NFL style reads.

Both styles are still reading the safety or LB. But the progression of the reads is different. As are the route trees. And in RG3's case he was mostly a single read and go guy. And never really progressed from that at the next level.  

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Both styles are still reading the safety or LB. But the progression of the reads is different. As are the route trees. And in RG3's case he was mostly a single read and go guy. And never really progressed from that at the next level.  

They’re reading more than just the safety or LB. Baylor ran a one read and go, like you said. 

Pro style is more along the lines of: “if corner check safety, then ______”

it’s a series of if/thans versus a single.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

"the two had a "good vibe." Whether that translates to the franchise taking the Michigan quarterback is unknown, but the pair do appear to have hit it off at the Combine."

He didn't say great but the greatest, Brady values him more than himself at the same stage.

Way to completely avoid answering my question and throw out irrelevant fluff instead.

And please stop with the Brady stuff. Brady was being a good alum and pumping up a guy who went to the same school. That stuff happens all the time. You're fully losing the plot by taking it literally and as some gospel truth.

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

They’re reading more than just the safety or LB. Baylor ran a one read and go, like you said. 

Yeah. I was speaking more of the initial read in the progression. Most read the safety first then progress from there. And to be honest college film makes it really difficult to see how any of these guys were coached to read a defense anyways. So you are just kind of going off whether or not they can make all of the NFL throws accurately. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The funny thing is that pro coaches regularly take plays from college offenses. I don't mean to change their offense, but if they see an innovative play, they might add it to their rotation. 

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

The funny thing is that pro coaches regularly take plays from college offenses. I don't mean to change their offense, but if they see an innovative play, they might add it to their rotation. 

The even funnier thing is college coaches regularly take plays from high school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Just checking, what context do you think ‘I wish’ means ?

I wish I was capable to ?

or

I wish my college HC would let me ?

• Thanks 1

This is a reply based on a convo in the free agent thread. I didn’t think it belonged there so I’m posting it here:

I’m going against the grain here. I think Howell and Maye would be great together. In fact, I’d like to see it. Let the best one be the starter. I don’t care about QB feelings. It’s the same as every other position. The best person wins. Howell has shown that he can play in this league and he can stay healthy.

one thing that I think might work to their advantage is the fact that they are friends. They’ll root each other on during practice. If they’re anything like other good to great QBs they will sleep and breathe football. When they’re together, what will they talk about. I bet a lot of it will be about football and improving. 

I like the situation QB wise with these two. Haven’t they done this already at UNC or am I wrong on that? I know you guys are going to tell me I’m wrong for wanting to keep him, I expect it. 

I just don’t think you chuck a young healthy QB with a pretty great arm and some running ability because you draft a guy in the first round. You let them duke it out and may the best man win. Especially since Howell is so cheap. 

you can never have enough good QBs and I’ll take Howell over the retreads that were listed earlier. Not all good QBs have a veteran there to help and a lot of times those veterans say it isn’t their jobs to help another guy take their job. 

whatever happens happens I guess. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Just checking, what context do you think ‘I wish’ means ?

I wish I was capable to ?

or

I wish my college HC would let me ?

My assumption is he's saying he wishes he was allowed to. The point is that his own words contradict what was written in the article posted about how McCarthy had the freedom to check to different plays at the LoS, etc. So I'm going to guess that the article was pure speculation and not based on any actual facts or information gathered from people involved in the system or process.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And away we go. I'm watching a Youtube Video called "Jayden Daniels vs. Alabama: All Passes" posted by NFLFilmRoom on Youtube.  ** I know I've been told the Florida game was a "human highlight real" but I couldn't find the "every pass play" on YouTube and I liked the idea of watching Daniels against the same defense I watched McCarthy in.  I went into this with absolutely no idea what happened.  Frankly, I didn't even know who won the game when I started.  So, from that perspective, completely unbiased. 

Bottom line up-front: 

- Daniels is on a different level than McCarthy. I would not put them in the same tier. Daniels is better. And to my eyes, not by a small margin.  I haven't watched Maye yet.  I don't plan on watching Williams.  But I wouldn't put the 2 in the same tier.  Daniels flashed a lot more than McCarthy.  McCarthy might have a slightly stronger arm. That's about all I can say McCarthy does better than Daniels.  

- I do have questions about his arm at the NFL level.  Does he have an NFL arm?  Yes.  But it would be bottom half of the league good.  I would worry about him in bad weather situations. I also don't think deep-outs where you really have to plant, throw and drive the ball would be in the playbook.  He has to be on-time with a lot of throws, because his arm talent won't get him out of trouble for being late.  

- He showed a lot of passing "flashes."  He had a great ball on a deep fade. A couple really good intermediate throws.  When he's on-time, he's good.  When he holds the ball, his legs get him out of trouble.  

- He's a slippery mofo in the pocket.  Has good pocket presence.  Can feel the rush and evade, and has the athletic ability to get himself out of trouble.  

- He needs to process faster and get the ball out on time.  In college, his athleticism is a cheat code.  He can be late on reads, and then squeak out, and make the defense pay.  In the NFL, he'll try and squeak out and get smooshed.  He's got to learn to take the drop, make a quick read and throw the ball.  

- He also waits to see players open before throwing the ball.  I think that's going to be a consistent criticism with all QBs.  Throwing with anticipation before the receiver makes a break will increase the completion percentage and reduce his need to scramble.

- Any NFL team which picks him needs to create an offense like what Kyle did for Griffin, though not the read-option part of it.  The "read 1, Read 2, Read 3, you're the checkdown."  Make all the decisions easy and fast.  

- I've heard him comped to Lamar.  He's not Lamar.  Lamar has a bazooka attached to his right shoulder.  He might not always know where it's going, or he might be slow in processing at times, but Lamar is bigger and has a much, much better arm.  

- I've heard him comped to Fields.  I think Fields has a better arm also.  And I don't think Daniels should be a dual-threat QB much.  He's got to be a pass-first QB who can escape when necessary.

- LSU's center had A LOT of low snaps.  

- Alabama's defense was not very Saban like.

- I just looked up the final score.  'Bama crushed them. (I did this after I did the breakdown below.)

And here are the plays on the film.

Play 1: Pay grade B: Looks like a delayed blitz from the right, but Bama only brings 4.  Working the left side of the field.  Delayed Blitz is coming by #32 late from the right side.  OL Play is actually pretty piss poor.  5 OL block 3 DL, and leave the blitzer 1:1 with the back.  Who gets trucked.  He evades and escapes up the middle for an 8 yard gain.  Ideally he sees the late LB rusher, and has a wide open receiver (#1) running to where the rusher came from for an easy completion.  But he never gets his head around. He got out of there for positive yardage.  But if he recognized the defense, he could have had a very routine completion.

Play 2:  Play grade: A-. Deep slant to the right.  This is a very good play.  Plants and throws in rhythm.  Good ball placement to the inside of the receiver, the defender was to the outside.  Threw to the first read. Good but not great velocity on the ball.   A little more velocity, might be able to get the ball to the receiver on the move so he isn't tackled right away.   

Play 3:  Play grade: C.  But it couldn't have been any higher.  (NOTE: This is the same grade I gave McCarthy on the 2,350 screens he threw against Alabama.) Quick screen to the RB, which was wide open.  Ball traveled 8 yards. 

Play 4: Pay Grade: A+.  Deep shot for a TD.  Can't do it any better than this with the caveat the defense lost the deep receiver, which is a sin. Can't see the route on the YouTube copy.  But Daniels threw the ball in rhythm, it was a perfect pass to a receiver 50 yards down field.  He threw it from the 46, and it was caught at the 4.   

Play 5: Play Grade: C-. Incomplete to a dig route on the right.  He's looking at it the entire time, and the throw is late.  It should have been a contested catch. But the throw was late with not enough velocity to make up for it being late, so the CB recovered and knocked the ball away.   An earlier read or faster throw and he gets a completion. 

Play 6: QB Draw.  Not grading QB Draws.

Play 7: Pay Grade: D. Incomplete deep middle.  In the NFL, this is a disaster play.  He holds the ball, good protection, then throws a ball without enough velocity down the middle of the field to a tightly double-covered receiver.  It's incomplete. He had a guy standing at the 50 yard line (about 10 yards down field) with literally not a player near him.  He's got to get off of the deep ball when he sees the double coverage and get to the TE standing all alone.  Also, first peak at possible arm strength issue. That ball floated. .  Bad decision and bad throw that was helped out by luck.  

Play 8: Play Grade: B.  But it couldn't have been any higher.  Hit the checkdown to the TE.  Waited on the deeper route, came off it, hit the TE wide open.  No issues with this play. 

Play 9: Play Grade: C.   Rolls to his right to try a running throw to a WR.  It's incomplete.  I think it's a bad throw to the inside, when he needed to put it to the outside.  By throwing to the inside, the WR had to fully turn around, and the inside backer was able to get his body between the ball and the receiver.  I throw to the outside, I'm not sure if that would have happened. This might have been incomplete no matter what because of a good defensive play.  But Daniels didn't give his receiver a good chance. 

Play 10: Play Grade: Unknown.  Scramble to the right for positive yardage.  This is tough to tell on the TV copy, I wish I had the All 22.  But I don't and I'm not going to pay for it for college even if it is available.  However, he's working to the left, an the concept is dead at the snap.  He sticks with it, then goes to the middle to something I can't see, then evades to the right. My gut and what I can see tells me he had a checkdown right in front of him, and if he gets off the primary read which is dead sooner, he has 2 possible mid-range completions.  However, since I can't definitively see that, I'm not going to downgrade him for it. Benefit of the doubt goes to the QB. 

Play 11: Play Grade C-.  So, he had 6 seconds of protection before he had to evade.  (I used a stop watch.)  After 3 seconds, he was staring directly at the checkdown, #17, and turned it down to keep waiting.  Then throws late without enough velocity down field.  Should have taken the check down.  

Play 12: Play Grade C-.  Reasonable protection, got to the read late and then made an inaccurate throw.  Footwork was also a mess.  This could have been a disaster.  Ball was late, high and to the middle part of the field. 

Play 13: Play Grade C.  This is a sack.  He had 2 options for checkdowns.  (They showed the "all 22 view on the broadcast.).  

Play 14: Play Grade B+.  Good completion on a crosser.  I think he could have gotten to it a beat earlier.  But he was waiting on something downfield which never developed and he hit the receiver in stride.  Good protection. 

Play 15: Play Grade B.  Quick throw to a wide open receiver to the left.  My only "eek" here is the ball did not travel at NFL velocity.  It's a similar type of throw we saw Sam Howell make earlier in the year, and even with Sam, the ball was thrown through the air better, less loft, more velocity.  But Daniels got it there.  10 yards down field,  hash to numbers = 24 yards, = 26 yards in the air.  (Thank you interwebs for figuring that out for me so I didn't have to manually use the Pythagorean Theorem.) 

Play 16: Play Grade B.  Quick throw to a crosser.  I think he got to it a touch late.  But it was wide open.

Play 17: Play Grade D.  Quick throw to the left, bad throw.  Good throw is an easy completion.  Just threw it behind the receiver.  If defender #32 was paying attention, this could have been a pick 6.  But it was harmlessly incomplete.

Play 18: Play Grade B+.  Quick throw to the left, wide open WR, good throw.  

Play 19: Designed QB Draw.  Not graded

Play 20: Play Grade: Bizarre.  It's either an F or a miscommunication.  From the far hash to the left sideline on some type of an "out" route.  It was 10 yards off the mark.  Either it was one of the worst D-1 throws I've ever seen, like "ball slipped out of my hand" throw, or Daniels and the receiver were not on the same page about what was going on.  

Play 21: Play Grade: A+.   Scramble.  The right tackle lost almost immediately. There was no opportunity to throw a checkdown because the RT barely got his hands on the rusher, when Daniels hit the top of his drop, the defender got his hands on him.  

Play 22: Play Grade: not graded.  This is another scramble, but all the routes are deep and none are on-screen.  The one crosser who might have been a checkdown ran into a defender.  Ooops.  I wonder if this play design was a "you are the checkdown" type of play.  The route concept did not give him a short option, so maybe the coaching was, "look deep, if it's not there, run." I'm not giving it a grade because I have no idea if there was something open deeper which he missed.

Play 23: Play Grade: C.  This was a touchdown that should have been a pick.  It was a late throw over the middle, it didn't have enough velocity, and if the CB plays the ball better, it's knocked down at best or intercepted at worst.  I'm grading it as a C because it was a TD, and it did hit the receiver in the hands.  So while it was late and slow, it was on target.  But the defender literally leaped in front of the pass and somehow completely wiffed on the ball.  Like, it must have gone under his armpit or something.  How it got through, I can't tell you.  It looked a lot like some of the Taylor Heinicke magic from mid 2022, where by some miracle a bad pass ended up as a TD. 

Play 24: Play Grade: A.  Quick in-route, complete and on-time.  Good velocity on this one, no pressure, stepped into the throw, good mechanics.  Quick read and good throw. 

Play 25: Play Grade: C. Quick WR screen which went nowhere.  Couldn't have been higher. 

Play 26: Play Grade: Ungraded.  This turned into a scramble.  It was a blitz.  He pumped over to his left quickly like he wanted to throw there, but pulled it back and didn't.  I couldn't see what he passed up.  My guess is the concept was dead.  He did scramble for 10 yards. My gut tells me there was a completion somewhere in the concept of the play because of the blitz, but I can't see it, so benefit of the doubt goes to the QB. 

Play 27: Play Grade A.  This is one of those famous fades. Perfect ball placement.  Covered receiver.  Just put it where only his guy could get it.  Throw was on-time.  Beautiful play. 

Play 28: Play Grade: Designed QB Draw.  Ungraded.

Play 29: Play Grade: C.  Turned into a scramble.  He had the TE on the quick out if he threw it when he was looking at it with velocity.  Peyton Manning made that throw 4,238,138 times.  I know.  I counted. Defender was in trail position, 2 yards off the TE.  Throw it out there in front of the TE with both good touch and velocity, and it's an easy 7-10 yards.  He turned it down, pressure came, he evaded an picked up yards.

Play 30: Play Grade: C+.  Play Action, rolled to his right, then had a short little dump-off.  Throw was behind the receiver, who had to turn around to catch it.  Worked out.  In the NFL, the receiver might be being escorted to the Blue Tent.  

Play 31: Play Grade: Ungraded.  I think he should have been able to get an attempt to a receiver, but both tackles lose pretty quickly.  His first or second read would have had to be open.  It looks like he had options, but it's tough to tell.

Play 32: Play Grade: B.  He had ALL KINDS OF TIME.  Went through his progressions twice and then threw to a wide open TE who dropped it. There could have been something open in the timing of the play, but I couldn't tell. Not going to down-grade him for either good protection or a TE dropping a ball. 

Play 33: Play Grade: C+.  Quick throw to the outside.  Throw was late.  He double clutched. Just throw the damn thing!

Play 34: Play Grade combination F and bad luck. I don't know the name of this play, but Jon Gruden broke it down on one of his film studies years ago.  Basically, you have 2 recievers running in-breaking crossing routs at different depths. the QB reads the LB and Safety, picks one and throws it.  He said "the sherfif" (aka Peyton) made he HOF on this play. He might have been exaggerating, but all of Peyton's offenses ran this concept to death.   He should have thrown to #8 on a deep cross, had a throwing window, and the LB pinched up and the safety wasn't over to cover.  He turned that down to go to 11, running a shallow cross. He won on the route, but he won on the route later. Both were open.  If he throws the first one, it's fine.  Because he waited, he allowed the rush to get threw, the DE got his hand in the air, batted it up for an INT.  Part of that is bad luck.  Part is, throwing late.  

Pay 35.  Play Grade: D.  He had 1:1 with #8 on the outside and under-threw him.  It was into tight coverage one way or another, but if he puts it out there like he did on play 27, he gives the receiver a chance to make a play.  But the WR had to turn around to come back to the ball, the DB was right there, and it had no chance. 

And it looks like the feed cuts out after that for some reason. But I think 35 plays from this game is enough to get a good feel. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And away we go. I'm watching a Youtube Video called "Jayden Daniels vs. Alabama: All Passes" posted by NFLFilmRoom on Youtube.  ** I know I've been told the Florida game was a "human highlight real" but I couldn't find the "every pass play" on YouTube and I liked the idea of watching Daniels against the same defense I watched McCarthy in.  I went into this with absolutely no idea what happened.  Frankly, I didn't even know who won the game when I started.  So, from that perspective, completely unbiased. 

Bottom line up-front: 

- Daniels is on a different level than McCarthy. I would not put them in the same tier. Daniels is better. And to my eyes, not by a small margin.  I haven't watched Maye yet.  I don't plan on watching Williams.  But I wouldn't put the 2 in the same tier.  Daniels flashed a lot more than McCarthy.  McCarthy might have a slightly stronger arm. That's about all I can say McCarthy does better than Daniels.  

Again, great job with the breakdown. Solid analysis as always.

McCarty is also better on 3rd down with the game on the line, something that translates directly to the NFL.. More proof that two people can watch the exact same film and come up with polar opposite scouting reports, so i digress.

Im drafting JJ based on what I believe he can become with "my" coaching, system, and positional coaches here in Washington. My belief is that when called upon, he will convert 3rd downs and score when the game is on the line, as he showed multiple times in college. I believe his ceiling as a human and leader is higher than the other players, thus reducing my risk of having to go find someone else down the road when things get tough. Not sure how much of this will show up on tape, but when watching the game live you get a great sense of in game situations. I didnt watch every game of his this year, but I watched a bunch including the playoff wins. When the pressure was the highest, he got it done, not sure I can say the same for the other top Qbs in this draft...

Not trying to change anyones mind here. I will be happy with whoever GMAP and company end up choosing, but I think JJ gives this organization the best opportunity to succeed long term over the next 15+ years.  I think the kid is a potential hall of famer at QB.

I'm drafting JJ at #2.

• Like 1