Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I feel like that deep out is a great barometer of a QB's arm, it separates the men from the boys and his deep out is terrible and that's with no pressure.

His arm is fine, Velocity was 61mph just 1mph behind Joe Milton, who’s known for his rocket arm. though I agree it wasn’t some awe inspiring performance, but neither was anyone else’s. His best throws today were the slant corner routs, the hardest throw at the combine and he nailed those. Like they said in the booth, only 3 of those were hit all year across the entire league, and he made those look pretty easy. He didn’t do anything to really boost his stock or lose stock either.

• Like 1

I dont trust any of these QB prospects, especially the kid from LSU who is built like Forbes.

I think we should sign Kirk, trade down a few picks to acquire more picks, and then use our 1st rounder to get a LT or Bowers

I heard an ex-GM say the other day that it's a lot easier to draft a QB when you dont need one. It makes sense, there's no reason we couldn't build a young team around a vet QB, we'll have 2 years to find a QB in the draft and let him learn behind a guy who's been doing it at a high level for years.

This is probably the most hated idea on the board but the amount of draft capital we will collect by trading down 4 or 5 slots I think could bring us a better haul in the long term.

Just now, mac8887 said:

His arm is fine, Velocity was 61mph just 1mph behind Joe Milton, who’s known for his rocket arm. though I agree it wasn’t some awe inspiring performance, but neither was anyone else’s. His best throws today were the slant corner routs, the hardest throw at the combine and he nailed those. Like they said in the booth, only 3 of those were hit all year across the entire league, and he made those look pretty easy. He didn’t do anything to really boost his stock or lose stock either.

The velocity didn't bother me it was the accuracy.

• Thumb down 4

Just now, JSSkinz said:

I dont trust any of these QB prospects, especially the kid from LSU who is built like Forbes.

I think we should sign Kirk, trade down a few picks to acquire more picks, and then use our 1st rounder to get a LT or Bowers

I heard an ex-GM say the other day that it's a lot easier to draft a QB when you dont need one. It makes sense, there's no reason we couldn't build a young team around a vet QB, we'll have 2 years to find a QB in the draft and let him learn behind a guy who's been doing it at a high level for years.

This is probably the most hated idea on the board but the amount of draft capital we will collect by trading down 4 or 5 slots I think could bring us a better haul in the long term.

The only one that I think has a bigger boom chance than bust chance to be a top guy, year in and year out is Caleb Williams.

Im all for trading up to get him, and I still think there is a possibility of that happening.

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What is she talking about here? Did I miss something? 

Josina has decided she is going to be the “I’m going to use big words and sound intelligent and be vague so you think I’m smart and I’m always right” queen.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

She does get a ton of stuff leaked to her and is not to be ignored though. 

I wouldn’t ignore her if I could understand her.  

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

Tez walker with a 4.36, if we draft Maye do we get him his guy as well? It would be cheaper than resigning Samuels and could probably be had with a 3rd or 4th?

If he’s the best player on the board.  Howell couldn’t get production out of whatshisnugget and they were college teammates.  I think it’s overrated. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

That's like being the tallest guy in China

Yao Ming says hello down there. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

McCarthy is just...fine. After finishing with 4 wins and getting the #2 pick, ending up with a QB like that would just be a colossal let down. He'll do well if he goes to a good team and can be their version of Brock Purdy but beyond that, I don't see it.

After watching his Alabama game, I don’t think he’s fine.  I think he’s bad. 

23 minutes ago, Conn said:

who the **** is she referring to here, I can’t even tell. Caleb? 

She’s trying to work it out now.  In 3-4 tweets from now, she’ll say she was right and name the person.

I respect what she’s done in the industry but she’s become insufferable with these long, unintelligible tweets followed by “I was right!” Proclamations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Did you expect him to talk bad about his own teammate during the draft process?   :ols:

No but you wouldn’t expect an unsolicited positive shout out to someone that he thinks sucks, and wouldn’t want to play with at the next level.

• Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The velocity didn't bother me it was the accuracy.

I hope you are serious…. This is an absolute top notch plan.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

No but you wouldn’t expect an unsolicited positive shout out to someone that he thinks sucks, and wouldn’t want to play with at the next level.

He might think he sucks, he might not. But he's Maye's teammate and Maye is doing what good teammates do: supporting each other.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

58 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Michael Penix is putting on a CLINIC!

Great arm, extremely high IQ but I have issues with his knee.  

Michael Penix Jr. Injury History & Updates (draftsharks.com)

Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Oct 20, 2018 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Penix tore his right ACL against Penn State.
Nov 28, 2020 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Penix re-tore his right ACL against Maryland. He returned to Indiana in 2021 and took the field on September 4, despite not getting medical clearance.
Nov 2, 2019 Non-NFL Shoulder Clavicle Fracture Penix missed the final four games, including Indiana's bowl game.
Oct 2, 2021 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Separation Penix missed the remainder of the 2021 season.

45 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Penix seems to be only QB in this group throwing with anticipation.

Rattler making some deep throws. Reed just threw the worst wobbler I've seen so far. 

Penix looks good of course going deep. Lot of receiver drops in this group. Pratt looked horrible on deep throws.

Slovis cuts loose a bomb and gets back slaps from the other QBs.

The no velocity group, 1st group was clearly better except N.D.QB he threw like the 2nd group. Penix is accurate but not a lot of zip on the ball not so accurate on longer stuff had a real good day.

36 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He had a lot of zip on the ball and overthrew a couple deep shots, Milton had to take some off to be accurate. Penix was more accurate but without the zip and had trouble with the longer throws. N.C. ST. QB had a good day. 

A team is going to get a steal in Penix.  His physical attributes and on-field performance rival or exceed any of the other prospects.  He beat Caleb and Bo (twice) head to head.  If it weren't for the injury history, this discussion would look much different.  Notwithstanding, the injury concern is real even though his medicals checked out.  I've seen folks suggest he wasn't good when he was with Indiana, that is false.  He has always been a player and it really came to light when he went to Washington and had the supporting cast.  If we want to suggest his success at Washington was due to the surrounding talent, it is a fair critique given all QB prospects should be subject to that scrutiny.  All that aside, the reason he isn't in the discussion is the injury risk, otherwise he stacks up favorably with the rest of the prospects.

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind on Daniels is let's not all bash him too hard.  Quinn said he was a game changer.  We don't need to talk ourselves out of him as a group bc then we'll be salty if he's the pick.  We're not in the interview room.  Who knows, maybe Peters told Daniels he's definitely going 2 (doubtful, but who knows) so he's like "neat, peace."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

One thing to keep in mind on Daniels is let's not all bash him too hard.  Quinn said he was a game changer.  We don't need to talk ourselves out of him as a group bc then we'll be salty if he's the pick.  We're not in the interview room.  Who knows, maybe Peters told Daniels he's definitely going 2 (doubtful, but who knows) so he's like "neat, peace."

Agreed, the size/injury risk with him is legit but overblown.  Lets see what his pro day tells us.  All the same, I do think we are suffering from fatigue w/the QB prospects.  Maye has been a consensus top prospect for over a year and hasn't done anything to impair that.  We are picking these guys apart.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DogofWar1 said:

Totally agree. I want Drake Maye to be our Christmas present, but I do. not. get. at. all. the venom directed at Daniels. By all, and I mean all, accounts he is a terrific and grounded young man, loved ferociously by his teammates and coaches, with absolutely no hint of 'diva' or off-the-field shenanigans attached. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

He had a lot of zip on the ball and overthrew a couple deep shots, Milton had to take some off to be accurate. Penix was more accurate but without the zip and had trouble with the longer throws. N.C. ST. QB had a good day. 

That’s pretty much the same I saw. I liked that the announcers were raving about McCarthys footwork. He has the arm talent to make every throw with plenty of zip.

Penix is very accurate, and throws a beautiful ball. 

Hartman is a guy I really like not as pro prospect, but as a college qb. he seams like a real nice dude and a great teammate, but he really did himself a disservice today. Started good running a 4.8 but then in fell apart. He lacked arm strength compared to the others, and was one of the more inaccurate guys, while also being one of if not the oldest one there. Hard to see anyone drafting him now, maybe he gets a UDFA deal, but he’s not really the type of guy to stash on a practice squad.

12 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

I've seen folks suggest he wasn't good when he was with Indiana, that is false.  He has always been a player and it really came to light when he went to Washington and had the supporting cast.  

Well, I think before the transfer to Washington, nobody really knew whether Penix was really good or not - he never played in more than 7 games in any of his four years at Indiana, because of all the injuries, and especially the last 2 years there, he was playing pretty much hurt all the time, so his numbers weren't good at all.

I think we saw the 'real' Penix his last two years at Washington. 

The big question on him is, do you trust his twice-repaired ACL, and his repaired throwing shoulder, to hold up under NFL hits? I'm honestly more worried about him having a career-ending injury than with Daniels (who didn't miss a game due to injury in 2 years of getting knocked around by rampant NFL talent in the SEC).

41 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Yes you absolutely would. They could be great friends. Has nothing to do with whether he wants the guy catching balls from him at the next level lol

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

A team is going to get a steal in Penix.  His physical attributes and on-field performance rival or exceed any of the other prospects.  He beat Caleb and Bo (twice) head to head.  If it weren't for the injury history, this discussion would look much different.  Notwithstanding, the injury concern is real even though his medicals checked out.  I've seen folks suggest he wasn't good when he was with Indiana, that is false.  He has always been a player and it really came to light when he went to Washington and had the supporting cast.  If we want to suggest his success at Washington was due to the surrounding talent, it is a fair critique given all QB prospects should be subject to that scrutiny.  All that aside, the reason he isn't in the discussion is the injury risk, otherwise he stacks up favorably with the rest of the prospects.

I agree if he is able to learn to really diagnose the looks the D gives him. He has proven in college that he can get through his progressions fast, and didn’t take many sacks because of it.

If he is able to read these nfl defenses while still diagnosing the right read to go to like he did in college, he could be a major steal. Especially if his knees hold up.

The only thing that everyone is having trouble with including myself is figuring out what went wrong for him those few games before the conference championship.  He had like a 3 game stretch where his play wasn’t that good.

Eventually, he turned it around in his conference championship and against Texas but it’s still something I’d like to here others takes on and if I have time, go back and review the film myself.

He didn’t look great against Michigan, but that defense was really good. 

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yes you absolutely would. They could be great friends. Has nothing to do with whether he wants the guy catching balls from him at the next level lol

You didn’t think it was funny that @Rolo Tomasiepersonally garuanteed that Maye would want nothing to do with Tez and then literally 5 posts after, someone posts a tweet from Drake Maye equating Tez to fire? The irony alone made it hilarious.

Edited by mac8887
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Well, I think before the transfer to Washington, nobody really knew whether Penix was really good or not - he never played in more than 7 games in any of his four years at Indiana, because of all the injuries, and especially the last 2 years there, he was playing pretty much hurt all the time, so his numbers weren't good at all.

I think we saw the 'real' Penix his last two years at Washington. 

The big question on him is, do you trust his twice-repaired ACL, and his repaired throwing shoulder, to hold up under NFL hits? I'm honestly more worried about him having a career-ending injury than with Daniels (who didn't miss a game due to injury in 2 years of getting knocked around by rampant NFL talent in the SEC).

Penix had some really good stretches' at Indiana, but you are not wrong.....the tape was limited due to the injuries.  In the end, it wasn't like he was lifting a lesser Indiana team like we saw with Lamar Jackson in Louisville or anything like that.  Ultimately, we have the injury concern and it can't be dismissed.

4 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I agree if he is able to learn to really diagnose the looks the D gives him. He has proven in college that he can get through his progressions fast, and didn’t take many sacks because of it.

If he is able to read these nfl defenses while still diagnosing the right read to go to like he did in college, he could be a major steal. Especially if his knees hold up.

The only thing that everyone is having trouble with including myself is figuring out what went wrong for him those few games before the conference championship.  He had like a 3 game stretch where his play wasn’t that good.

Eventually, he turned it around in his conference championship and against Texas but it’s still something I’d like to here others takes on and if I have time, go back and review the film myself.

He didn’t look great against Michigan, but that defense was really good. 

I'm a Washington alum and watched all of their games, including the let down games you've mentioned. There really is no way to sugar coat that stretch of games where they struggled other than recognizing the PAC 12 was really good top to bottom this year.  The entire team was flat during that stretch and Penix wasn't able to overcome it.  I don't supposed we are going to criticize Rome Odunze or Bralen Trice for the let down, but Penix is going to get the heat because QB.  I get it, its a real criticism but one that is overblown.  He produced over and over against top competition and faced more top 20 teams than any of the other prospects, and went undefeated until the national championship game. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1