Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

You gotta be messing with us. Right???

Say Jeff Bezos buys the team in January. You don't think he'd want to make a splash at Quarterback?

Brady will be a free agent and if we prioritize the OL, this would be a great landing spot for him. A team ready to make the jump. Great offensive weapons, strong defense...

Match made in heaven!

Plus what else would we do? Bring back Wentz? Lol

58 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If Snyder sells the team in the new year, do you guys think there's any chance we sign Tom Brady as a splash and bring back Heinicke to be his backup?

QB room of Brady, Heinicke, Howell would be pretty sick.

Brady is more likely to retire than switch teams again. 

19 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Ok so you're telling me we should bench the guy who went into PHI and won against an 8-0 team?

That wasn’t directed at me, right? Because I don’t think I once claimed we should…..but I don’t see another post on that page that you could possibly be referring to, so maybe you misunderstood what I said? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If the team had gone 4-2 instead of 2-4 with Carson; he’d be returning to the lineup.

The fact Ron’s choice for qb was a bust should seal his long term fate. The fact his choice for qb basically lost his job to the incumbent backup; not good.

That will be the #1 topic of discussion with his future boss.

That discussion should include his ability to learn an evolve as a coach. If you're gonna be stubborn about your personnel, you better be right. So although Ron may have made a bad choice initially, any flexibility on the issue is a perceived strength

30 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Agreed - he's burnt out and doesn't seem to be having any fun anymore.  And that's just on the field.  Off the field it's probably 10x worse.

Looked like he had plenty of fun after the W last week, he’s just always been a historically sore loser. The real question is—does he realize he’s losing because his coaches are now hamstringing him post-Arians. He’s a smart guy, I’d say yes. So if he plays imo it’ll be elsewhere. Because the Bowles/Leftwich gruesome twosome aren’t getting fired after one year at the helm. 

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

Commanders fans seem to be the only ones in support of benching Heinicke looking at the reactions to this game

Wait, what? Where did you hear these lies from? Please don't generalize and assume every commander fan want this!

Edited by zCommander
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If they bounce back, they’ll have more wins than us because…..why? Are you implying that we won’t bounce back as well? 

What would we be bouncing back to?...2017? lol...

4 hours ago, zCommander said:

Wait, what? Where did you hear these lies from? Please don't generalize and assume every commander fan want this!

I didn't get the impression they meant all Commanders fans...more like "all the people who think Heinicke should be benched are Commanders fans", not "All Commanders fans think Heinicke should be benched".

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 1

Rivera basically has to now admit he got it wrong with Wentz. Only weeks ago he was ranting to the media about how getting Wentz was his call. He clearly didn’t, and still probably doesn’t  think TH is the long term solution, neither do the vast majority of us.

However he’s really got no option but to stick with TH based on how things have played out. Slightly awkward situation for him I’d say in the interim.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

What do Derek Carr, Tom Brady, Carson Wentz, and Taylor Heinicke all have in common?

None of them should be the starting quarterback here in 2023.

Well ****…..I was hoping you’d let us guess first :( 

4 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I'm still hoping he does an NFL tour and wins a Super Bowl for every team. Would be sweet.

Every team? All 32? Yeah, that’s realistic 😛 

DEREK CARR’S CONTRACT MAKES HIM AN EASY SCAPEGOAT IN LAS VEGAS

The Raiders “committed to” quarterback Derek Carr with a three-year contract extension this offseason worth $120.5 million with $24.9 million guaranteed at signing. Only his $17.4 million 2022 salary and a $7.5 million signing bonus were fully guaranteed. His $32.9 million 2023 salary and $7.5 million of his $41.9 million 2024 salary are currently guaranteed for injury. Those become fully guaranteed three days after this season’s Super Bowl.

If head coach Josh McDaniels is retained for the 2023 season despite Las Vegas’ early-season struggles — which is the current expectation — it wouldn’t be surprising to see someone fall on the sword. And there has been speculation around the NFL that it could be Carr via a trade.

These are the Raiders’ options after the season with his current contract: 

1. Keep Carr. They wouldn’t be able to cut him since his salary is fully guaranteed, but at his best, he’s been a top-10 quarterback in the NFL. McDaniels liked Carr even before he got to Las Vegas. Carr has underperformed this season, however, as PFF’s 23rd-ranked quarterback in PFF grade.
  2. Trade Carr. The Raiders would be wise to find a trade partner before the Super Bowl so as to ensure they wouldn’t be stuck with his $32.9 million salary in 2023. If they can’t agree to a trade before the Super Bowl, it might become too risky to keep him knowing his money becomes guaranteed.
  3. Cut Carr before the deadline when his contract becomes guaranteed. This seems like perhaps the most unlikely option, because quarterbacks are hard to find, and the Indianapolis Colts received a 2022 third-round pick plus a 2023 conditional third-round pick for Carson Wentz this offseason.

“I do think someone will trade for him, but the price will be driven down by the remaining term and that $40 million guarantee they will inherit,” a league source said.

The source predicted Carr could garner a second-round pick plus. It will be interesting to see if teams are as willing to trade for veteran quarterbacks this offseason given the lack of success those acquired via trade — such as Wentz, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield — have had this season.

One organization identified by another league source as a team to watch for Carr is the Houston Texans, who currently own the top pick in the 2023 NFL Draft with a 1-7-1 record. The Texans rank 30th in expected points added (EPA) per play against through Week 10. They’re 26th in EPA per run play against and 29th in EPA per pass play against. 

They could either use the top pick, assuming they hold on to the spot, on a defender or trade it to a team seeking a rookie quarterback and fill their need at signal-caller via a Carr trade instead. They also have a second first-round selection — currently No. 9 overall — from the Cleveland Browns as part of the Deshaun Watson trade. Having two top-10 swings at a quarterback certainly could entice Houston to draft its future signal-caller rather than filling the position by trading for Carr. Cleveland’s record should improve, however, when Watson returns, which would push that pick down the board.

Carr said this season that he was “heartbroken” when the Texans, who selected his brother, David Carr, first overall in the 2002 NFL Draft, passed on him twice in 2014. But Derek Carr still speaks glowingly of the Texans’ organization, and he would be an upgrade over their current starter, Davis Mills, who has played better in his second season but hasn’t taken a significant step forward.

There could be many more teams looking for starting quarterbacks this offseason, including the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Commanders. And there are only so many starting-caliber quarterbacks available in the 2023 NFL Draft.

The Raiders currently own the second overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft based on their 2-7 record. They certainly would be in the market for a quarterback — perhaps Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud? — if they’re picking near the top of the order. Their other option would be to sign a quarterback in free agency who McDaniels is already familiar with … like Jimmy Garoppolo or Tom Brady.

It would be hard for the Raiders to justify benching Carr unless they were transparent about their decision, but it might make sense once they’re completely out of playoff contention. The Raiders wouldn’t want to trigger Carr’s injury guarantees if they believe they’re going to part ways with him this offseason anyway. Patriots 2019 fourth-round pick Jarrett Stidham is Carr’s backup. He played well in the 2022 preseason and came with knowledge of McDaniels’ system.

There already have been effort question marks in Las Vegas this season. It seems hard to believe benching Carr would improve the situation.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I still worry about losing Kyle Smith who is now the Falcons VP Player Personnel I believe. Forrest was a pick of his IIRC. 

worried about Kyle how?  Forrest was picked after Kyle was gone.   Tim Gribble was the college director then and the year prior under Kyle so influential on the draft and he's still from what I gather overseeing that now.

• Like 1