Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Caught up with the Sheehan podcast that @Voice_of_Reason mentioned.

It's funny I noticed Russell who might have been the most vocal against Wentz before they made the move to get him -- actually has come around some on him including saying he checked him out with some people who know Wentz and learned that he's a good guy.  Sheehan seems to be the last Mohican stuck on the weird notion that Wentz is a bad dude.  In that podcast, he goes that Wentz taking the high road with Irsay maybe suggests that Wentz is maturing and learning something.  I took that as him suggesting in the past Wentz wasn't a take the high road kind of dude?  It was ironic for me to hear Santana Moss heavily plug Wentz in that same Sheehan podcast including saying his own career arc might have been different playing with a dude like that.

Among other things with the media, we got D. Hall saying he felt better about this team with Fitzpatrick last year than he does now.  Craig Hoffman sort of says the same thing but he isn't as inflammatory when he says it. Ditto Sam Monson from PFF.  I think i might have been the biggest Fitz fan here last year.  Yet, I still find the point laughable that Fitz > Wentz.  Ridiculous actually.  Is Fitz a better leader?  Yeah.  Better player?  No way.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Can we just get one thing straight?

I'm pretty sure zero people here actually hate Taylor Heineke. 

That is an incorrect statement. I saw some saying cut him right now so they don't have to hear his name ever again. If that is not hate I don't know what is. 

Just now, zCommander said:

That is an incorrect statement. I saw some saying cut him right now so they don't have to hear his name ever again. If that is not hate I don't know what is. 

This only further makes my point, because I gather that's folks more being tired of hearing about him, than actually being sick of him being here.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mistertim said:

...the other 2 TDs he had little to do with. The first was a backpedaling lofted pass into triple coverage in the end zone. It should have been picked but Terry pulled a Terry and made an amazing adjustment and catch. The second was a dump off to JD who had a great run and an amazing diving TD.

- Back-peddling when throwing doesn't equate to not having anything to do with the pass being completed.

- It was single coverage when he threw it--there was only one defender near Terry at the time. Not sure where triple coverage comes from.

Heinicke was pressured right when Mclaurin starts thinking of making his break--he throws the ball as the defender is catching up to Terry:

- The only reason the dump-off was even possible was because Heinicke kept the play alive with his feet and kept his eyes downfield. We've had too many backup-quality QBs over the last 4+ years who would have either just started running and fail to get a 1st down, would have thrown it downfield out of desperation to a covered WR, or just not seen McKissic at all.

Dude deserves credit on all three TDs. It's not like he just closed his eyes and threw it backwards over his head lol...

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This only further makes my point, because I gather that's folks more being tired of hearing about him, than actually being sick of him being here.  

I survived 5 years of Jason Candle. 

I have faith in these people living through 2 years of Heineken as the #2 QB. :cheers:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it was weird.  The whole thing was weird.  He read a tweet that was basically saying he would be ROASTING Dan if Dan had said the same things Irsay said to basically repeat what Irsay had said.  And didn't really acknowledge he would be roasting Dan if he had said them.  

I think in his mind, he was trying to justify continuing to roast the move while roasting Dan without really trying to defend Irsay, but he can't really criticize him either, because he's using his material as the basis for his argument.   It was just ...  odd.

And yeah, he did compliment Wentz for taking the high road.  But it almost felt like a backhanded compliment.  Which was also weird.

Here's something new, and a perspective I hadn't heard before: Bram actually said he was a little disappointed Wentz didn't push back a bit more on the "mistake" line from Irsay.  He said that if there was ever a time to push back, that was it, because it came off as a personal attack.  His producer (I can never remember his name, but I like him) pushed back a bit saying there's really nothing to gain from doing that.  I like Bram, I disagree with him here.  But I found it interesting that the member of the media closest to the team was like, "hey man, go defend yourself a little bit."

It's funny I noticed Russell who might have been the most vocal against Wentz before they made the move to get him -- actually has come around some on him including saying he checked him out with some people who know Wentz and learned that he's a good guy.  Sheehan seems to be the last Mohican stuck on the weird notion that Fitz is a bad dude.  In that podcast, he goes that Wentz taking the high road with Irsay maybe suggests that Wentz is maturing and learning something.  I took that as him suggesting in the past Wentz wasn't a take the high road kind of dude?  It was ironic for me to hear Santana Moss heavily plug Wentz in that same Sheehan podcast including saying his own career arc might have been different playing with a dude like that.

Bolded, I assume you meant Wentz?

Santana was really good.  And yeah, it was interesting to listen to the interaction between him and Sheehan on Wentz.  

Among other things with the media, we got D. Hall saying he felt better about this team with Fitzpatrick last year than he does now.  Craig Hoffman sort of says the same thing but he isn't as inflammatory when he says it. Ditto Sam Monson from PFF.  I think i might have been the biggest Fitz fan here last year.  Yet, I still find the point laughable that Fitz > Wentz.  Ridiculous actually.  Is Fitz a better leader?  Yeah.  Better player?  No way.

Well, D. Hall was not retained, and he is bitter.  (He's also not very good, if you ask me, as a media personality.)

Hoffman I don't pay much attention to regardless.  

I've never been on the PFF bandwagon, I think I'm falling off of it complete.  Cooley used to take them to task for grades all the time when he did his film breakdowns, and I trust Cooley more because he knew the offense and the assignments, for the most part.  

As an aside, they released a metric which I think is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life, something like an adjusted Coaching WAR thing.  Galdi had the guy on, and they take the PFF grades and then run it through some algorithm to get the projected win total of a roster, then compare it to what they actually achieved, and then grade the coach based on that.  It's just downright stupid because of the amount of development which coaching leads to. Not just the HC, but all down the line, the coaching influences development, which influences player grades.  It's all connected.  

I'm a fan of analytics.  I've built part of my career on analytics.  There's an important line: "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics."  

You can literally get stats to tell you anything you want them to in the end.  

I think we've gone over the edge with analytics in football, and we're trying to put number on things where you can't put numbers on.  So much of the game is contextual, there is a place for analytics for sure, but if you go overboard, it's to your detriment.  But I digress.

Also, nobody really had anything negative to say about Wentz until 2019.  Then the Eagles drafted Hurts, and Wentz kindof tried to put the entire team on his back because they were riddled with injuries.  And I think he felt pressure, and I think he pressed. 

The fact the Eagles/Wentz/Pederson thing ended literally 2 yeas after a SB is absolutely wild.  I still think there's more to that story.  I don't know what it is.  But the whole thing was really weird.  

Edited to fix the Fitz vs. Wentz disease I caught from @Skinsinparadise

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't like him very much. The leap seemed too selfish. Not running the ball, when the coaches asked him too, basic self preservation stuff that just kind of annoyed me, but yous are exactly right. It's that he is constantly brought up for zero good reason. Say something good about Wentz or Howell and nothing about Heinicke and someone has to pop up and defend him against nothing. It's just annoying.

PM a Mod and ask them to reopen the Hive if you want to talk about our back up. Y'all are worse than the Cult.

Heads so high up Heini's Hole you can smell his sisters couch.

You had me up to this point.  I want to defend his honor after this statement. 

edit: I misread as cooch.   Carry on, we're good here...

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah it was weird.  The whole thing was weird.  He read a tweet that was basically saying he would be ROASTING Dan if Dan had said the same things Irsay said to basically repeat what Irsay had said.  And didn't really acknowledge he would be roasting Dan if he had said them.  

I think in his mind, he was trying to justify continuing to roast the move while roasting Dan without really trying to defend Irsay, but he can't really criticize him either, because he's using his material as the basis for his argument.   It was just ...  odd.

And yeah, he did compliment Wentz for taking the high road.  But it almost felt like a backhanded compliment.  Which was also weird.

Here's something new, and a perspective I hadn't heard before: Bram actually said he was a little disappointed Wentz didn't push back a bit more on the "mistake" line from Irsay.  He said that if there was ever a time to push back, that was it, because it came off as a personal attack.  His producer (I can never remember his name, but I like him) pushed back a bit saying there's really nothing to gain from doing that.  I like Bram, I disagree with him here.  But I found it interesting that the member of the media closest to the team was like, "hey man, go defend yourself a little bit."

Bolded, I assume you meant Wentz?

Bolded yeah meant Wentz.  I did hear the Bram part too, I get his point but I disagree with him but generally I agree with you that Bram is pretty good right now.  I like Bram now better than I did when he was on 980.  I think him working for the team on broadcasts had given him some insider type perspective.

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Santana was really good.  And yeah, it was interesting to listen to the interaction between him and Sheehan on Wentz.  

Well, D. Hall was not retained, and he is bitter.  (He's also not very good, if you ask me, as a media personality.)

Hoffman I don't pay much attention to regardless.  

I've never been on the PFF bandwagon, I think I'm falling off of it complete.  Cooley used to take them to task for grades all the time when he did his film breakdowns, and I trust Cooley more because he knew the offense and the assignments, for the most part.  

As an aside, they released a metric which I think is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire life, something like an adjusted Coaching WAR thing.  Galdi had the guy on, and they take the PFF grades and then run it through some algorithm to get the projected win total of a roster, then compare it to what they actually achieved, and then grade the coach based on that.  It's just downright stupid because of the amount of development which coaching leads to. Not just the HC, but all down the line, the coaching influences development, which influences player grades.  It's all connected.  

I'm a fan of analytics.  I've built part of my career on analytics.  There's an important line: "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics."  

You can literally get stats to tell you anything you want them to in the end.  

I think we've gone over the edge with analytics in football, and we're trying to put number on things where you can't put numbers on.  So much of the game is contextual, there is a place for analytics for sure, but if you go overboard, it's to your detriment.  But I digress.

Also, nobody really had anything negative to say about Fitz until 2019.  Then the Eagles drafted Hurts, and Wentz kindof tried to put the entire team on his back because they were riddled with injuries.  And I think he felt pressure, and I think he pressed. 

The fact the Eagles/Wentz/Pederson thing ended literally 2 yeas after a SB is absolutely wild.  I still think there's more to that story.  I don't know what it is.  But the whole thing was really weird.  

Yeah I heard that PFF segement.  He graded Rivera as average to above average for his career but average here, 

For me I like PFF but more from the stand point that they give you metrics that I might not know otherwise.  For example for college players coming out in the draft, there are some we don't have access to all of their games where PFF does have that kind of access so I find some of that insight helpful.  

I think the problem with them right now is so many of the members of PFF have become talking heads and the let their biases show even though the whole purpose supposedly of PFF is to give unbiased takes that are purely numbers driven.

I talked about this on another thread but the dude from Football Outsiders, Warren Sharp and Evan Silva all who pride themselves on being purely about numbers hate this team so much that its hard for me to take them overly seriously in the framework of the team because almost everything is framed by this team is stupid and sleazy.  

The Football Outsiders NFL preview book every season starts this teams preview with just blasting the organization.  Look I hate Dan as much as anyone.  But I don't get why the hate extends to every coach and every FO, too.   

I don't sense that PFF hates this team the way some others do.  And their bias against Wentz existed before the trade.  But I find them way over the top and a bit emotional for an outfit that prides themselves on being purely clinical.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't sense that PFF hates this team the way some others do.  And their bias against Wentz existed before the trade.  But I find them way over the top and a bit emotional for an outfit that prides themselves on being purely clinical.

See, and I just think they are wrong more than they are right when it comes to grades.  

When it comes to "hard stats" fine, whatever.  "Air Yards" "Run Block Win Rate" "Contested Catch Win Rate"  yadda yadda yadda, I think those things are really interesting.

There's no way they can put a grade on a player because there is no way they know the assignment of the player.  

But they do it anyway, then they are Thor Nystrom like slaves to their grades, and are arrogant as hell about it.

I think where I'm settling is I like the metrics that are as close to black and white as possible.  How far did the ball travel in the air?  YAC, broken tackles, did you knock your guy on your ass, or did you get knocked on yours?  etc.  Things which would be hard to argue either way.

But when it comes to putting a "grade" on a player, or trying to understand what they are supposed to do, for the moment, I'm out.  I don't think the folk doing it know what they're looking at.  And that's not a knock on them, it's just teams don't broadcast assignments. 

It was different with Cooley early on in the film breakdown because he knew the offense.  He played in it.  He knew the plays, the terminology, and he was being paid by the team, so I'm sure he could chat with Jay and ask him if he was totally wrong on some stuff.  

But these eggheads from PFF have become insufferable.  Just like their Dear Leader Cris Collinsworth, who bought PFF in 2015. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

See, and I just think they are wrong more than they are right when it comes to grades.  

When it comes to "hard stats" fine, whatever.  "Air Yards" "Run Block Win Rate" "Contested Catch Win Rate"  yadda yadda yadda, I think those things are really interesting.

There's no way they can put a grade on a player because there is no way they know the assignment of the player.  

But they do it anyway, then they are Thor Nystrom like slaves to their grades, and are arrogant as hell about it.

I think where I'm settling is I like the metrics that are as close to black and white as possible.  How far did the ball travel in the air?  YAC, broken tackles, did you knock your guy on your ass, or did you get knocked on yours?  etc.  Things which would be hard to argue either way.

But when it comes to putting a "grade" on a player, or trying to understand what they are supposed to do, for the moment, I'm out.  I don't think the folk doing it know what they're looking at.  And that's not a knock on them, it's just teams don't broadcast assignments. 

It was different with Cooley early on in the film breakdown because he knew the offense.  He played in it.  He knew the plays, the terminology, and he was being paid by the team, so I'm sure he could chat with Jay and ask him if he was totally wrong on some stuff.  

But these eggheads from PFF have become insufferable.  Just like their Dear Leader Cris Collinsworth, who bought PFF in 2015. 

Their stat breakdowns are awesome.  Reps via zone.  Reps via man to man.  They go so deep on so many things that I find that uber interesting.

But I agree that their own generalization of the player is subjective.  Heck I think I know the various personalities from PFF pretty well because they are on the radio and different podcasts all the time these days.  And they don't always agree with each other within PFF, I noticed that too.  

The PFF guy who specializing in cap issues, Brad something or another was on 106.7 and were egged on by Grant and Danny to trash their cap moves and he did so by oddly taking an opinion that its better to overspend and worry about later-later.  I found that an odd stance coming from a dude specializing in the cap.  Then the same dude was on if i recall Galdi's show praising their cap moves, ranked them 5th on that front -- his only criticism that he kept from his Grant-Danny appearance was he thought they should have traded Payne.  He's not a fan of paying 4 D lineman big money.  Other than that, he moved from being borderline snarky on one show, to being mr. sunshine on another show on the same topic.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The PFF guy who specializing in cap issues, Brad something or another was on 106.7 and were egged on by Grant and Danny to trash their cap moves and he did so by oddly taking an opinion that its better to overspend and worry about later-later. 

I think he did the same thing on the Stadig podcast I listened to last night.  

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Their stat breakdowns are awesome.  Reps via zone.  Reps via man to man.  They go so deep on so many things that I find that uber interesting.

I totally agree with this.  It's what I call the "hard stats."  You can't really argue with them.  They are great.

It's the grades I have issue with.  And I think more and more you're starting to see the Cris Collinsworth influence on the approach, to be a know it all ass-hat.  

• Like 1

It is kinda of stupid to have a QB thread and not be able to talk about ALL of the QBs on the roster, regardless of where they are on the depth chart. That is my point. It doesn't matter if you like him or hate him one should still be able to talk about how they see or saw his play. People shouldn't be blasted for their point of view. So if you are not hating the player then you are hating the poster I would imagine. Making fun of them and belittling them for their point of view since it doesn't align with how they see it. 

If people want to talk about just Wentz then there is already a thread for that. 

10 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If people want to talk about just Wentz then there is already a thread for that. 

Yes. This one. Know why? He's new and is a legit QB who has played at an MVP level. He is also being talked about often in the media.

Know who else is interesting? Sam Howell. He's a rookie and was potentially a day one pick last year and is widely considered to be a big upside player. and there's a lot of excitement about him.

Know who's not any more interesting than Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel, Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, Nick Mullins? Taylor ****ing Heinicke. We've seen his ceiling and we all know that he's a good back up. Nobody is hating on him, we're hating on the posters that won't stop making every QB conversation a Taylor Heinicke conversation. It's annoying AF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's funny I noticed Russell who might have been the most vocal against Wentz before they made the move to get him -- actually has come around some on him including saying he checked him out with some people who know Wentz and learned that he's a good guy.  Sheehan seems to be the last Mohican stuck on the weird notion that Wentz is a bad dude.  In that podcast, he goes that Wentz taking the high road with Irsay maybe suggests that Wentz is maturing and learning something.  I took that as him suggesting in the past Wentz wasn't a take the high road kind of dude?  It was ironic for me to hear Santana Moss heavily plug Wentz in that same Sheehan podcast including saying his own career arc might have been different playing with a dude like that.

When Wentz was first mentioned I was very mad.  I did research before I reacted in any public way. The research really changed my perception from mad to cautiously optimistic. Especially given that our alternatives were to overpay for a bridge, give away the farm (and that may not have been an alternative) or put all our eggs on a QB in this draft.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It is kinda of stupid to have a QB thread and not be able to talk about ALL of the QBs on the roster, regardless of where they are on the depth chart. That is my point. It doesn't matter if you like him or hate him one should still be able to talk about how they see or saw his play. People shouldn't be blasted for their point of view. So if you are not hating the player then you are hating the poster I would imagine. Making fun of them and belittling them for their point of view since it doesn't align with how they see it. 

I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about this, the few people telling us how Taylor is actually a lot better than he really is over and over and over and over, to the extent that we are still having this conversation right now - after it's been set in stone that Wentz is the starter and we're developing Howell, is what makes people wish he'd be cut - so he can quit being a topic of discussion.  We get it - there's a few of you who will ride or die for dude.  But it's the epitome of...

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes. This one. Know why? He's new and is a legit QB who has played at an MVP level. He is also being talked about often in the media.

Know who else is interesting? Sam Howell. He's a rookie and was potentially a day one pick last year and is widely considered to be a big upside player. and there's a lot of excitement about him.

Know who's not any more interesting than Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel, Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, Nick Mullins? Taylor ****ing Heinicke. We've seen his ceiling and we all know that he's a good back up. Nobody is hating on him, we're hating on the posters that won't stop making every QB conversation a Taylor Heinicke conversation. It's annoying AF.

This one: 

Sam Howell also has his own thread. But if you are going to say QB thread then that means all of them on the roster and not who is more interesting. That is being bias.

I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about this, the few people telling us how Taylor is actually a lot better than he really is over and over and over and over, to the extent that we are still having this conversation right now - after it's been set in stone that Wentz is the starter and we're developing Howell, is what makes people wish he'd be cut - so he can quit being a topic of discussion.  We get it - there's a few of you who will ride or die for dude.  But it's the epitome of...

Maybe to others you are also beating a dead horse as well. Just saying if someone wants to talk up TH or bring him up in the QB thread then let it be. Why the lashing? No one should be put on a stake for that. You don't have to respond to that person and make fun of them or TH or roll your eyes to them. People should be able to stickup for however they feel right by. 

For example: Let's say I say man I like how TH escapes the pocket and is quick on his feet. Wonder if Wentz can do that too. 

The immediate response is: TH has a noodle arm and doesn't belong in the NFL. 

Not the point I was trying to make. It does get annoying indeed. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

This one: 

Sam Howell also has his own thread. But if you are going to say QB thread then that means all of them on the roster and not who is more interesting. That is being bias.

Maybe to others you are also beating a dead horse as well. Just saying if someone wants to talk up TH or bring him up in the QB thread then let it be. Why the lashing? No one should be put on a stake for that. You don't have to respond to that person and make fun of them or TH or roll your eyes to them. People should be able to stickup for however they feel right by. 

For example: Let's say I say man I like how TH escapes the pocket and is quick on his feet. Wonder if Wentz can do that too. 

The immediate response is: TH has a noodle arm and doesn't belong in the NFL. 

Not the point I was trying to make. It does get annoying indeed. 

You are why people are kicking Heinicke. Not Heinicke. Just understand that.

If you don’t want to talk about Heinicke, stop responding to posts about Heinicke lol…I don’t want to talk about Howell to be honest. Not yet anyway. So I gloss over all the posts that swore Howell will easily beat out Heinicke for the backup QB and how he’s gonna be the go-to guy if/when Wentz is either injured or benched. Have I rolled my eyes at some of the gushing praise about Howell here and on Twitter? Abso-f’ing-lutely lol…But he’s on the team, so I pray he does as well as many already seem convinced he will. And there’s been so little about this franchise for fans to get excited about that I’m now at a point where I don’t feel the desire to dampen anyone’s enthusiasm over any player, especially one that has helped us win games. 

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

When Wentz was first mentioned I was very mad.  I did research before I reacted in any public way. The research really changed my perception from mad to cautiously optimistic. Especially given that our alternatives were to overpay for a bridge, give away the farm (and that may not have been an alternative) or put all our eggs on a QB in this draft.

I did no research lol…I just ****ed and moaned for awhile. 

I get that it’s all personal preference and whatnot, but I literally cannot imagine why it would be more interesting to anybody to discuss Heinicke over Howell. One is a known quantity. The other is a rookie with an unknown ceiling. There’s way more to it than that which tips the balance even more for me, but for argument’s sake let’s set the rest of the particulars aside and even then, that one bit of info is still enough for me. I’d literally rather talk about Cole Kelley than Heinicke. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You are why people are kicking Heinicke. Not Heinicke. Just understand that.

Oh please, you are the one who keeps on changing the thread title to fit your own narrative...lol

So much for not kicking Heinicke yourself. Now do you understand. 

Edited by zCommander