Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not skinsinparadise or stevemcqueen

Who is?  :ols:

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

but there’s one question in particular I would want answered were I the Comms FO - does his confidence (which I think is great - he seems very self assured and that can be big at the position) also come with enough humility to be a great student?  Will he be able to both handle and take in criticism (from the staff mainly) and turn around and apply himself to fixing those issues? In short, is he coachable?  Maybe a better way to put it… is he not just willing to be coached, but is he driven to be coached (if that makes sense).

It’s the difference between doing what is asked, and going above and beyond - seeking out criticism, constantly asking what he could have done better.  If he’s the latter, the sky is the limit IMO.  If he’s the former, I don’t think he’ll ever reach his potential.  Just my 2 cents of course.

I've heard mostly positive things on that front.  One negative which is he had work ethic concerns when he was at Auburn.  Forgot where I heard that but it was on some podcast.  But supposedly woke up after that and turned a corner

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/05/malik-willis-senior-bowl-nfl-draft/

“After leaving Auburn, I just decided I was going to be, like, a sponge to the game and just focus on taking my athleticism out the picture,” he said. “Just focus on being more cerebral and just taking what the defense gives me and use my athleticism when totally necessary.”

This explains why, when asked about the quarterbacks he admires, he didn’t name anyone known primarily for his scrambling. Willis said he likes the touch that Seattle’s Russell Wilson puts on his deep passes, the many “crazy arm angles” of Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and the anticipatory throws of Atlanta’s Matt Ryan.

Willis, an Atlanta native, began studying Ryan’s throws more in-depth after training with wide receiver Mohamed Sanu. The 10-year veteran, who has played with five teams, raved about Ryan’s ability to diagnose coverages and throw darts to spots before Sanu even broke out of his route.

“He’s just throwing them open ultimately, and that’s how you do it,” Willis said.

In college, Willis showed what he is capable of when he combines his arm, legs and brain. Last year, he threw for 2,857 yards, 27 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and ran for 878 yards and 13 touchdowns. During Senior Bowl practices, he seemed intent on reminding NFL personnel of his elite traits as he threw on the run and from awkward angles.

Willis’s hardest throw was the fastest at the Senior Bowl (75.7 mph) since 2019, the first year Zebra Technologies, the NFL’s player-tracking data partner, fully measured quarterbacks. He also loved to look deep; his air yards per attempt (22.6) was the second highest.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.34.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 1.34.41 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, alright. Willis is my draft crush. I want him. Trade up for him. I don't care ... he has the tools to be a high-ceiling QB if things fall into place. Just go get him. Pair him with Winston or Mariota so he doesn't have the pressure to start right away.

I feel pretty good about Corral too, but he hasn't been able to showcase his talents this off-season but I still think he and Willis have the best shot of being gone before 11.

I had a little crush on Howell. Pickett is super interesting. Strong later in Round 1 or in Round 2 seems like it could be worth a shot. But Willis is the dude I want.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’ve seen reports (or, maybe “reports”) that the team called the chiefs about Patrick mahomes availability. 

please tell me this team isn’t stupid enough to waste their time with that, why would the chiefs even humor that idea?? 

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• Like 3

The more I think about it, and the more I hear Ron and Martin talk, and reporting from Keim and Ben Standig, the more I think they LIKE a number of QBs in this class, but they don't love any of them.

Which leads me to believe they are not going to expend extra draft capital to get them.  

IF one of the guys they really like is there at 11, they will most likely take them.  At the moment, this looks like Kenny P. or Malik W.  I'm fine with that. I do, however, think some QB needy team is going to go crazy and jump up to get one or both of them.  There are also 3 teams ahead of us who might take a QB: Denver, Carolina and Atlanta.  

I really think there's a better chance than not that both Kenny and Malik are both off the board by 11.  

So, what do you do in that scenario?  Well, if you can trade back, you do.  But they still HAVE to get a QB to pair with Trib-iota or whoever they brought in.  So most likely that's Riddler or Strong in the second.  Personally, (and I'm biased), I'd go for Strong and see if he can just be a pure passer in Scott's offense.  I worry about his knee, but, he has a cannon of an arm, is pretty accurate, and threw a ton of passes.  I also like multiple year starters, and his intangibles are off the charts.

If he can beat out Trib-iota, great.  If he can't, he can't.  And you let the year play out. 

If the defense regresses back to not sucking stale dead yak ass, and we get even moderately better QB play, we have the roster to win 10 or 11 games.  That's actually good. 

The question then becomes, do we want to go hard after a QB in the 2023 draft, are we a more desirable place for a veteran to come to, OR is Strong the answer?

One of the things I've never been is into forcing a solution on a problem if the solution doesn't solve the problem. 

And to answer another point which I'm sure @Zim489 will bring up, I actually really don't think Ron's seat is even remotely warm.   At least not from Dan.  I think Dan knows the football situation well enough at this point, and he knows we don't have a QB. And I'm damn sure he knows how hard it is to find one.  So, as long as the team is competitive and doesn't regress, he's fine.  

All that to say, I think Ron WANTS a franchise QB, because he knows you need one to win, and more importantly, they have a window with Sweat, Payne and Young on rookie deals which is not going to last forever.  So they need to maximize the young, cheap talent while they have it.  Which is why they want a veteran now.    But I don't think he's going to force it.  And I'm pretty sure he has Dan bought into that. 

I think he's going to tell Dan they are trying everything they can to get a QB.  He will probably gently remind Dan that when he got here, he inherited a miserable QB situation which was of Dan's making.   They tried for Stafford last year.  They are trying for any QB this year.  And they will do the best they can with what is available.  

And if it doesn't work, they will keep trying until they find somebody.  

52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Part of the issue is you can't definitively call guys a bust after one season.  Particularly a guy like Willis who most likely will take some time to grow into what you want.

And I’d be giving 2 years because that’s what the coaches timeframe is. It would have been 3 if they drafted the guy last year. 

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Mike Vick was a 8.5.  Burrow was 9.  It's meaningless in terms of how good a quarterback can play.

It's clearly some sort of issue with Pickett, otherwise he wouldn't need to reportedly wear 2 gloves on his throwing hand.

It's definitely not the most important thing with a QB, but it needs to be taken into account.

We're gonna end up passing on a defensive stud to reach on a mediocre QB. Its basically the opposite of 2011 when we traded down with the Jags so they could take Blaine Gabbert while we end up with Ryan Kerrigan.

We're gonna pass up on a Kerrigan to draft a Gabbert.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's clearly some sort of issue with Pickett, otherwise he wouldn't need to reportedly wear 2 gloves on his throwing hand.

It's definitely not the most important thing with a QB, but it needs to be taken into account.

The comp to Vick is absurd. Vick had RIDICULOUS measurables. He also carried a team to a national title game.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Alright, alright. Willis is my draft crush. I want him. Trade up for him. I don't care ... he has the tools to be a high-ceiling QB if things fall into place. 

Here you go...LOL

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

actually really don't think Ron's seat is even remotely warm.   At least not from Dan

I don’t think so either. I think it’s just when you start looking at the broad view time lines it doesn’t make sense to look more than 2 years out. You have to consider what is coming up when you talk about all these guys and plans associated with them coupled with human nature in terms of job security. 

I think if the most realistic best case scenario happens which is FA plus 11 overall QB. Maybe higher. The question of Ron being gone following the 2023 season is significantly higher than people realize. 

I think most people would expect a Mitch a Rookie QB 22 season leads us to something like a 7-10 type of season. We know about Mitch and we know enough about Rookie QBs to easily make that guess. Fast forward to the rookie second year. Given that rookies from the first round bust at a 66% rate it’s not crazy to think that the rookie goes out and is middling at best and get another 7 win season. 

It now becomes decision time 3-4 middling seasons with a middling at best QB scenario. What reason is there to extend Ron? He will not be coaching on the 5th year of a 5 year contract. 

Think the best chance for Ron to be here longer is to catch lighting with an elite talent. That’s Malik and Malik alone right now. Every other QB leads you the mehh Catagory. 

I’m glad to see the Willis hype picking up here, he absolutely has his risks and downsides and weaknesses but I’ve been on the “Rivera will strike out on trading for the elite vets and then fall in love with the high upside toolsy guy” train for months, even speculating that by the time the combine is finished we may need to trade up to ensure we get him. That part isn’t necessarily true (yet) but the rest is trending towards potential reality. 

He’d be frustrating at times but at least he’d be fun to watch. 

20 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'll be watching QB Ridder to see if he can run that sub 4.5 today that Nagy expects.

He's a long stridder, HigSkin. :) I hope/think he crushes it and does well in the drills.  Is he your QB1?

@Voice_of_Reason If Pickett and Willis are gone before #11, that means Corral is there and he's my #2. I bet the hype on him picks up as his workouts begin.

Almost assuredly.  I can't picture 3 QBs going in the top 10 this year. But QBs are always over-drafted.

I know @Skinsinparadise is also a Corral guy, my concern with him is his slight frame, and if he can take the type of pounding he's going to take and still be effective.

I'm not against it.  But I might be having Post Traumatic Small-Build Griffin syndrome.  

I will wonder how they grade Corral out.  I think they love the upside with Willis.  And probably think Pickett is the most ready to start now, and has less of a "complete bust" potential.

The question with the others is going to be, what is their view of the upside vs. the cost vs. the chance they fail for whatever reason.

53 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I think most people would expect a Mitch a Rookie QB 22 season leads us to something like a 7-10 type of season. We know about Mitch and we know enough about Rookie QBs to easily make that guess. Fast forward to the rookie second year. Given that rookies from the first round bust at a 66% rate it’s not crazy to think that the rookie goes out and is middling at best and get another 7 win season. 

For reasons, I actually DON'T expect that.  I want to see what else they do in the off-season, who they can re-sign, and who else they acquire either through the draft or FA.  

But I actually think the defense is going to be significantly improved.  I think they broke the hell out of the secondary last year by accident with a lot of mistakes.  I think they've learned from those, and they won't be repeated.  I think the DL will be better.  

And while he's not going to be great, Mitch is an upgrade, and a pretty sizable one from TH.

They also don't have that brutal of a slate of opponents, at least on paper, at least right now.

I think 10 or 11 wins is reasonable.  I might be off in lala land. Which is possible, I won't deny it.  But the roster is really not bad.  The amount to which TH held them back last year cannot be understated, and the coaching staff/FO COMPLETELY screwed up the defense for 6 weeks by being stupid.  (And I'm a Ron guy.  But they changed too many things all at once and everything imploded.)  

I don't think they're going to be stupid again, and I think they will upgrade (at least somewhat) at QB, and I think they can get to 10-11 wins. 

49 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He's a long stridder, HigSkin. :) I hope/think he crushes it and does well in the drills.  Is he your QB1?

Russell Wilson is my #1 😉  I'll let Ron and crew figure the draft out but I'm very intrigued by Ridder.  He's getting a lot of "play" or keep an eye out on NFLN

Trubisky hype is coming from Trubisky's camp or the Bills who want a good comp pick back next year.

I've digested as much as I could about it.  The vibe I get it they really think Trubisky is a nice guy.  By all indications they are right. He's a nice guy.  And they are super grateful that he took his assignment of running the scouting team seriously.  He didn't find it beneath him and he went the extra mile to help the Bills prepare.  And they are greatful for that.  That's cool.  But it doesn't mean his career is turned around. 

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Russell Wilson is my #1 😉  I'll let Ron and crew figure the draft out but I'm very intrigued by Ridder.  He's getting a lot of "play" or keep an eye out on NFLN

I hear ya on Wilson but I don't think they trade him from Seattle.  I can't watch NFLN anymore as I have moved but if you can, please let me know how Ridder does in all the drills. :)   IF you can't I understand.  

• Like 1