Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

And it is the highlighted that scared the crap outta me

I get this.

But at the same time, I don't.  I mean honestly, what else do we have going for us?  If getting Rodgers only makes us interesting but all that it took to get him only ends up in making the playoffs but no championships - is that not better than what we're accustomed to?

I feel like no matter what we offer, if we somehow end up with Rodgers, we'll all be doing mental gymnastics about how what we gave up wasn't really all that much.

• Like 2

ARod holds the cards because of his contract/cap hit. Why would he leave Green Bay for Washington? I mean, I know he's a little off, but he's not dumb.

It's click-bait nonsense. 

Russell Wilson... I could possibly see that happening.

Watson is the guy they could get, I think. The PR fallout would be bad, but as long as Snyder owns the team, the PR is always going to be bad so might as well roll with it. And he's the youngest of the bunch with a contract in place to boot. 

But let's be honest here.

It will most likely be Mitch T and a rookie, probably Willis.

Mitch T will win the job, not because he's earned it, but because Ron knows Taylor's physical limitations and Willis will be a year away -- at least.

Mitch struggles... Ron is forced to go to Taylor early because he still gives the team the best chance to win.

Bank on it.

Edited by Hooper

34 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Eerily reminds me of Haskins connection with Dan's son.    eesh

Just connecting dots.  Could mean something; could mean nothing. :)  

10 minutes ago, Hooper said:

ARod holds the cards because of his contract/cap hit. Why would he leave Green Bay for Washington? I mean, I know he's a little off, but he's not dumb.

Watson is the guy they could get, I think. The PR fallout would be bad, but as long as Snyder owns the team, the PR is always going to be bad so might as well roll with it. And he's the youngest of the bunch with a contract in place to boot. 

Mitch T will win the job, not because he's earned it, but because Ron knows Taylor's physical limitations and Willis will be a year away -- at least.

Mitch struggles... Ron is forced to go to Taylor early because he still gives the team the best chance to win.

Bank on it.

All of what you says makes sense except I would keep an eye on Mariota as a possibly FA QB and NFL Draft QB prospect Pickett whom Keim has mentioned before Washington likes and would select at #11 if he were there.  Also of note, Bridgewater has had 3 or 4 concussions in his career so I hope they stay away.  He had one last year that ended his season.  

Edited by RWJ

28 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

And it is the highlighted that scared the crap outta me

Overpaying in a big way to land a big fish doesn't scare me at all.

What scares me is being forced to run again with the definition of insanity -- repeating the same thing and expecting a different result. 

It would be much more our brand to give it a run with Trubisky or Jimmy G and name that 2nd round QB.  Going on brand at QB which to me is the hallmark of this team losing-mediocrity run is what scares me the most and sadly its the most realisitic scenario.   By all indications, Rivera is going to try but I think he will swing and miss. 

Envisioning a thread about the ups and downs of Trubisky and is he better than Heinicke or is Ridder the answer after a ho hum camp -- that feels very us. Something like that.

For example even if we know Rodgers wanted to come here, it feels absurd to even envision him wearing Commanders gear.  It doesn't seem to fit.  We don't do fine dining. We are a Wendy's kind of restaurant version of playing the QB spot.     People worried that we'd pay $90 for a $75 worth filet mignon, I think would get over it pretty fast after dining on years  after years of Subway subs.  I think fans would be beyond giddy.  But it seems so wild that its tough for me to give more than a minutes thought.

As i am typing this some dude called in 980 and suggested:  build the offensive line, bring back Heinicke and draft some QB in the late rounds to give him some competition.  Now that seems like the Redskins/WFT/Commanders speed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hooper said:

No way Arod leaves GB to play for Washington. He'll retire first.

Chris Russell... I mean, LOL.

Chris Russell isn't betting on Rodgers, he's saying they got more ties to him than people know.  He thinks they have a shot at some of the bigger fish, that's all.   I don't hate him for his optimism.  I'd take some optimisim for a change versus hearing Standig going that we'd be lucky to even get Jimmy G, suck it up and learn to like it because its not that bad considering the limiting options even though some think it is....😧

Now Standig is likely right.  But heck until everything goes down, I don't mind a little sunshine for a change. 😀

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Jay Gruden isn’t sure Trubisky would beat out Heinicke in a qb competition (I actually disagree somewhat with that last one… I think it’s certainly possible TH looks better in camp, but I think the staff would probably give Trubisky the reins nonetheless, for multiple reasons).  

Listening to that interview which I commented on back then.  And hearing Jay talk about Trubisky twice.  He clearly is not a fan of Trubisky.  Just saying the Heinicke competition part I took as a veiled shot at Trubisky from Jay.   

• Like 2

Not a Colin Cowherd fan but thought I would post it for your amusement.  He has Teddy as our starting QB.  I hope not.  Hopefully, Mariota, Winston or Trubisky with drafted QB at #11 if we can't sign RW or Carr.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dianna maybe announcing tomorrow that Trubisky has us on his short list? :beavisnbutthead:

Cowherd has Trubisky starting for the Colts.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Overpaying in a big way to land a big fish doesn't scare me at all.

What scares me is being forced to run again with the definition of insanity -- repeating the same thing and expecting a different result. 

It would be much more our brand to give it a run with Trubisky or Jimmy G and name that 2nd round QB.  Going on brand at QB which to me is the hallmark of this team losing-mediocrity run is what scares me the most and sadly its the most realisitic scenario.   By all indications, Rivera is going to try but I think he will swing and miss. 

Envisioning a thread about the ups and downs of Trubisky and is he better than Heinicke or is Ridder the answer after a ho hum camp -- that feels very us. Something like that.

For example even if we know Rodgers wanted to come here, it feels absurd to even envision him wearing Commanders gear.  It doesn't seem to fit.  We don't do fine dining. We are a Wendy's kind of restaurant version of playing the QB spot.     People worried that we'd pay $90 for a $75 worth filet mignon, I think would get over it pretty fast after dining on years  after years of Subway subs.  I think fans would be beyond giddy.  But it seems so wild that its tough for me to give more than a minutes thought.

As i am typing this some dude called in 980 and suggested:  build the offensive line, bring back Heinicke and draft some QB in the late rounds to give him some competition.  Now that seems like the Redskins/WFT/Commanders speed. 

I am not at all afraid of overpaying for a QB, it is the norm. We have done it many times including acquiring Alex Smith and RG3. It's how much overpaying that scares me.

Last year they had an amount planned for Stafford, it was higher than anyone else offered, it was high, but I didn't find it a ridiculous amount. I hope they go into this years acquisition period with the same standard whether it's for Rodgers, Wilson, or the others. I would love filet mignon and over market value is fine. I do not wish to buy a herd of cattle to get a steak

Edited by DWinzit
I spelled herd, heard lol

lol, maybe Standig is on to something about the PR hit if they sign Trubisky.  Danny and Czaben running a segment about Trubisky stinks.  Danny going he doesn't have many skills, but one thing he's good at is smelling out lemon players, and that's Trubisky.  Now they are about to take calls on the subject. :ols:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It sounds like Trubisky is our Choice if other things don't work out. If he goes to NYG over us then what. I can't imagine we shut out on a Qb this year.

I'm starting to hope we do.  No one is worth the money or the picks it's expected to take

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

As far as costing a lot for not enough return...let's say we have three scenarios:

1) We get Rodgers for 3 1st round picks and give him a 3 year deal. He immediately gives us 3 years of being a SB contender.

2) We think the cost is too high for Rodgers and instead we maybe trade a 2nd for Jimmy G and for the next 3 seasons we use our 1st round picks on other positions. How likely is the combination of Jimmy G and those 3 other 1st round picks at other positions (maybe a T, a Mike backer, and a WR, just to throw some out there) to make us immediate SB contenders? I'd say very unlikely.

3) We think the cost is too high for Rodgers and instead we pick up a FA like Trubisky or Mariota and draft a rookie in the 1st round. 

Option 1 gives us the most immediate return, since Rodgers is a future HoFer and a multi-MVP QB. However, the cost is pretty high and even though he makes us an immediate contender, there's no guaranteeing an actual SB appearance or win.

Which one would you choose? 3 would be ideal (if it turns out well) but to me 1 is way more palatable than 2.

None of these appeal to me.

give me three Super Bowl trophies and I can tolerate the first option.  I'm not interested in mortgaging the future for contendership. 3 is a waste of money.  2 ignores a very obvious option, which is my preferred one.  We acquire someone like Garapollo and then use one of the first rounders in the two years after this one to draft a QB

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am not at all afraid of overpaying for a QB, it is the norm. We have done it many times including acquiring Alex Smith and RG3. It's how much overpaying that scares me.

Last year they had an amount planned for Stafford, it was higher than anyone else offered, it was high, but I didn't find it a ridiculous amount. I hope they go into this years acquisition period with the same standard whether it's for Rodgers, Wilson, or the others. I would love filet mignon and over market value is fine. I do not wish to buy a herd of cattle to get a steak

The Rams offered Goff who the Lions wanted, and for whatever reason according to one of the Lions reporters recently said they still like and two first rounders and a third.  So we didn't offer more than anyone else.  If I recall the Panthers offer was in the range of ours, I forgot what it was but they had the higher pick.

Overpaying for Alex Smith is our speed.  Overpaying for Aaron Rodgers or Wilson isn't -- we haven't had a QB like that IMO since Sonny J.  Top QBs and this team don't go together.  We don't play in the Tiffanys stores.  We get our stuff from name that neighborhood mall.

Landing Rodgers would be unreal.   It would be like going to your neighborhood bar and instead of seeing name that classic rock cover band, you walk in and you see the Rolling Stones, the real Rolling Stones.  It's so ridiculously unreal that its hard to even entertain.  So the idea of them overpaying doesn't faze me one whit.  And for those here who say it fazes them, I really doubt it will but if on the wild chance it went down -- I think the shock value would be insane that whomever had a reservation about it would get over it. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, maybe Standig is on to something about the PR hit if they sign Trubisky.  Danny and Czaben running a segment about Trubisky stinks.  Danny going he doesn't have many skills, but one thing he's good at is smelling out lemon players, and that's Trubisky.  Now they are about to take calls on the subject. :ols:

Well, that should be entertaining.  Kind of feel sorry for Trubisky in a way if they are making fun of the guy.   You know I like Bridgewater as a short term starter as he fits what Turner wants in an O but my issue with Teddy is the concussion.  We don't need a Reed 2.0 on our hands.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be against it but 4 concussions.  It's time to move on and retire after that many.  

Edited by RWJ

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, that should be entertaining.  Kind of feel sorry for Trubisky in a way if they are making fun of the guy.   

Segment shifted to Heinicke is better than Trubisky

Trubisky whether deserved or not is clearly the biggest punchline among the FA QBs.  I personally think its slightly deserved.  But I don't think he's the worst of the FA options. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Segment shifted to Heinicke is better than Trubisky

Trubisky whether deserved or not is clearly the biggest punchline among the FA QBs.  I personally think its slightly deserved.  But I don't think he's the worst of the FA options. 

If Taylor only had more zip on the ball that would help.  He's only had one season to play.  It takes time.  With any QB.  Look at Terry Bradshaw.  He had a decent OL and great WRs.  He stunk up the joint and lost his job to Joe Gilliam and then got it back.  Time needs to be given to any QB but the biggest issue with Taylor is his arm strength.  He's a great guy and if you need someone to come in and play a game or two, he may be the guy.  

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I'm starting to hope we do.  No one is worth the money or the picks it's expected to take

None of these appeal to me.

give me three Super Bowl trophies and I can tolerate the first option.  I'm not interested in mortgaging the future for contendership. 3 is a waste of money.  2 ignores a very obvious option, which is my preferred one.  We acquire someone like Garapollo and then use one of the first rounders in the two years after this one to draft a QB

So the only way you'd spend 3 1st rounders on a HoF QB is if you were somehow guaranteed 3 consecutive Lombardi trophies? At least you're easy to please.

And sure, your option sounds nice in theory but in practice it has some issues.

First is that if you get Jimmy G you're almost guaranteed to also be paying him a hefty contract, and generally if you give a guy a huge contract he's going to be your guy until he proves conclusively that he's not (or his contract runs out). That means that if we spent a 2nd round pick and a big league 3-4 year contract on Jimmy G, we're probably not going to turn around and invest a ton of draft capital in a rookie.

Another issue is that with Jimmy G we'd probably win a couple more games, which would take us out of "bad team" territory and level us up into "mediocre team" territory. So we'd be a middling 9-8 sort of team and would be picking way too low to be able to snag any of the top QB prospects (but not nearly good enough to be a SB contender). So we'd probably have to get super lucky and hit on a guy who dropped and probably isn't as heralded and/or is pretty raw.

That or we'd have to give up a bunch of 1st round picks + more to move up into the top 10 or top 5 for a QB we want. But then your "I don't want to mortage the future" thing goes out the window. Because you're basically saying "I don't want to mortgage the future...until I do."

I get that you want to have your cake and eat it too...but it just hardly ever actually happens that way. The only thing comparable would be KC having Alex Smith and then moving up or Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Bank on it.

I wouldn't doubt this scenario, I don't think TH is going away quietly. I'd bet he's gonna have a great preseason and impress. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If Taylor only had more zip on the ball that would help.  He's only had one season to play.  It takes time.  With any QB.  Look at Terry Bradshaw.  He had a decent OL and great WRs.  He stunk up the joint and lost his job to Joe Gilliam and then got it back.  Time needs to be given to any QB but the biggest issue with Taylor is his arm strength.  He's a great guy and if you need someone to come in and play a game or two, he may be the guy.  

Arm strength isn't really something that changes a ton. It's mostly genetics. Heinicke just doesn't have the physical talent to be a full time starting NFL QB. He's too limited and it's too easy to shut him down with a decent game plan in place.

Time isn't a luxury NFL QBs really have nowadays. Maybe 50 years ago with Bradshaw, but no QB these days is going to get that sort of leeway. Not gonna happen. Maybe that sucks because with more experience some guys might get better, but NFL teams aren't going to wait for several years to see if a guy who doesn't seem to get it eventually does get it. Just the way it is.

From all acconts Heinicke is a good dude and a good teammate. But he's just not a good NFL QB.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wouldn't doubt this scenario, I don't think TH is going away quietly. I'd bet he's gonna have a great preseason and impress. 

If Heinicke has a great preseason the only thing it would likely do is cement him as the backup instead of 3rd string. I think the chances of Heinicke starting this season sans another injury is virtually nil. It's ridiculously obvious that the team doesn't see him as a legit NFL starter.

• Like 3