Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Ron is not on any strikes. He is here at least 2 to 3 yrs even if he has losing seasons. He is the one thing that gives this team any kind of credibility and stability. He has been here just two years. The first one he made the playoffs with 4 QBs due to major injuries at the position. He had the team in position for a PO run this year with a back-up QB until injuries and a massive Covid outbreak took them out. And people can say all they want we do not know how the team would have done with Fitz who actually has can NFL arm and was coming off his best 3 yrs as a professional. They had to basically change everything to maximize Taylor's strengths and they almost made the POs again. 

Also, they just came through a name change which is a major transition. They need that stability. I do expect him to take a big swing at a QB this year. The question is major FA or a bridge with a draft pick. I have my preferences that I do not need to rehash. But Ron is not going anywhere unless he wants to leave or they remove Dan Snyder. in that case a new owner may want to bring in thier own staff. 

Ron is the HEAD COACH of a team that has had two 10 loss seasons. This in about the 100 years of NFL history IS the equivalent of two strikes. For a HEAD COACH, you are ACCOUNTABLE for everything, even if it is not your fault. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What more likely they reach on a JimmyG  or trade for a Baker Mayfield. Or go second rounder plus Trubisky, Marriotta, Winston.

I take Standig and Keim the most serious so I'll focus on them.  Combining both of their narratives

Plan A:  Swing hard for the best QB on the market.   They are both pessimistic that they land the fish but Standig is more pessimisitc.

Standig likes to bring up that Watson might be on the table for them.  Keim seems to think they will end up with a veteran starter before the draft but doesn't land on whom that guy is.

Plan B:  if they strike out on Plan B.  And Jimmy G is the last man standing they will make a trade offer.  I got no idea how aggressive they'd be for him.

Plan C.  If A or B doesn't work.  Trubisky or Mariota (more likely Trubisky because of their relationship with Buffalo) and Ridder or Strong in the draft.

What do i think happens?  If a dude like Mayfield becomes available we get them -- i think we outbid any team for a 2nd tier QB.  If a first tier ends up available we end up short, another team matches our offer and presents a better scenario for the team trading (better destination or AFC out of the NFC).

If I went purely based on how the luck unfolds, I think obviously the odds are best for Plan C. 

11 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Ron is the HEAD COACH of a team that has had two 10 loss seasons. This in about the 100 years of NFL history IS the equivalent of two strikes. For a HEAD COACH, you are ACCOUNTABLE for everything, even if it is not your fault. 

He has had two 10 loss seasons?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I have to agree, and Snyder has an itchy trigger finger when he doesn't get what he wants:  Results.  Ron is coming into year 3 of a 5-year deal.  Allen supported Gruden and Allen and Snyder where inseparable until the end came for Allen, thus the 6 years for Gruden.  When it comes to looking for new HCs what does Dan always do?  He turns to Joe Gibbs.  He did that for the Rivera hire and I think he does it for the next HC of the Redskins.  Instead of Dan getting a GM and letting him find the HC, Dan consults with Joe Gibbs, plays GM and finds the HC and then goes from there.  JMO.  :)

Ron had a 9 loss season followed a 10 loss season.

Edited by RWJ

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I take Standig and Keim the most serious so I'll focus on them.  Combining both of their narratives

Plan A:  Swing hard for the best QB on the market.   They are both pessimistic that they land the fish but Standig is more pessimisitc.

Standig likes to bring up that Watson might be on the table for them.  Keim seems to think they will end up with a veteran starter before the draft but doesn't land on whom that guy is.

Plan B:  if they strike out on Plan B.  And Jimmy G is the last man standing they will make a trade offer.  I got no idea how aggressive they'd be for him.

Plan C.  If A or B doesn't work.  Trubisky or Mariota (more likely Trubisky because of their relationship with Buffalo) and Ridder or Strong in the draft.

What do i think happens?  If a dude like Mayfield becomes available we get them -- i think we outbid any team for a 2nd tier QB.  If a first tier ends up available we end up short, another team matches our offer and presents a better scenario for the team trading (better destination or AFC out of the NFC).

If I went purely based on how the luck unfolds, I think obviously the odds are best for Plan C. 

Agreements with bolded areas, SIP.   I don't like either Ridder or Strong and hope we use our 1st on Picket/Corral/Howell. 

Edited by RWJ

Ron inherited a 3-13 team.

A.  The next season they went 7-9.  Won 4 of the last 6 games.  5-1 wtih Alex Smith.  1-5 with Haskins.  Went to the playoffs and was a score away from beating the SB winners.

If people are going to complain now that it was a crummy season, that's revisionist history.  I don't recall people whining about that season when it was over, if anything Ron was lauded quite a bit.

B. 7-10.  With the toughest schedule in the NFL.  With a ton of injuries and one of the worst COVID outbreaks in the NFL.  Were slated to go to the playoffs before the outbreak.

Rivera's tenure has been far from a disaster.  But even if I thought it was, for those who want to see Rivera fired before his tenure -- serious question who do you think Dan will attract to coach this team?

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I dont think Ron is going anywhere he has bee. that bad and I don't think they want any added attention right now. As long as the bottom does not fall out he will be fine. 

If we take a rookie I would want Pickett but he will be gone before 11. We may get a choice between Corral and Willis but I could see trading this pick to browns for Mayfield if they get JimmyG.

Edited by Redskins 2021

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He has had two 10 loss seasons?

A little bit of a stretch but yes. In any case, he has got to at least go to the playoffs (not just the play-ins). Otherwise, he is just Gruden 2.0.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

A little bit of a stretch but yes. In any case, he has got to at least go to the playoffs (not just the play-ins). Otherwise, he is just Gruden 2.0.

Disagree and by a mile.   but I'll play along, fire Ron, who do you think Dan will attract to replace him?

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Looks Wentz and Mayfield would may be available. 

They would have to get replacements for them. I don't think Trubisky, Marriotta, Winston or Bridgewater move needle enough to make the move of those guys.

I saw the article weeks ago that the Browns intend to bring Mayfield back.  Maybe that's a lie but otherwise what am i missing about Mayfield that's come out lately?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  The next season they went 7-9.  Won 4 of the last 6 games.  5-1 wtih Alex Smith.  1-5 with Haskins.  Went to the playoffs and was a score away from beating the SB winners.

If people are going to complain now that it was a crummy season, that's revisionist history.  I don't recall people whining about that season when it was over, if anything Ron was lauded quite a bit.

B. 7-10.  With the toughest schedule in the NFL.  With a ton of injuries and one of the worst COVID outbreaks in the NFL.  Were slated to go to the playoffs before the outbreak.

Rivera's tenure has been far from a disaster.  But even if I thought it was, for those who want to see Rivera fired before his tenure -- serious question who do you think Dan will attract to coach this team?

He consults with Joe Gibbs and then makes his decision.  Seriously.  IF RR gets fired after this year.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Disagree and by a mile.   but I'll play along, fire Ron, who do you think Dan will attract to replace him?

I saw the article weeks ago that the Browns intend to bring Mayfield back.  Maybe that's a lie but otherwise what am i missing about Mayfield that's come out lately?

I saw that article next day an article came out they have had no contact with him since season ended.

Browns are loaded they beat bengals twice by 20 points. They want a top vet. They could win right now. They were fighting with him all year. If they got a first 

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He consults with Joe Gibbs and then makes his decision.  Seriously.  IF RR gets fired after this year.

He can consult with Joe Gibbs all day long.  But my thought is (and i know am not alone with this) the day he lands a big time name coach is over especially if he fired Ron.  it likely would be name that coach who has been struggiling to get back into the NFL like a Herm Edwards type or name that coordinator who is a left field hire like Zorn or a dude that just for whatever reason has interviewed for multiple years but has been rejected as an option by other teams.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

we got to the playoffs with three different QBs one who was playing on a broken leg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I saw that article next day an article came out they have had no contact with him since season ended.

Browns are loaded they beat bengals twice by 20 points. They want a top vet. They could win right now. They were fighting with him all year. If they got a first 

For me I want to see one of the national repoters say he's on the trading block, I haven't see that of late unless I missed something.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He can consult with Joe Gibbs all day long.  But my thought is (and i know am not alone with this) the day he lands a big time name coach is over especially if he fired Ron.  it likely would be name that coach who has been struggiling to get back into the NFL like a Herm Edwards type or name that coordinator who is a left field hire like Zorn or a dude that just for whatever reason has interviewed for multiple years but has been rejected as an option by other teams.

That very well could be.  RR is a good man and a player's coach.  I love the guy and I think Joe Gibbs had a lot in his hiring.  I did say IF about Snyder pulling the trigger.  Hopefully, Gibbs can tell Dan to wait it out.  Snyder knows the fanbase doesn't approve of his dealings as an owner.  Too apparent and he hears it and reads it every day.  We just have to hope that we can land a legit QB this offseason.  Winning changes everything.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me I want to see one of the national repoters say he's on the trading block, I haven't see that of late unless I missed something.

I don't think I'd trade for Murray.  He's going to require big money soon.  Secondly, he's really small and I don't trust the size in a big man sport.  Thirdly, he needs to accept blame for the bad play in late seasons twice in a row.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

RR is a player's coach.  He genuinely cares about the players and their families etc...  See the tweet below by RR.  Reave's Mom recently passed away. 

I think RR could take an immature, self centered QB (so Mort say) with his potential and make him a man.  Oh, wouldn't it be something if Washington could trade for Murray! :) 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McVay inherited a 4-12 team that had no winning record since 2003 and an ownership story that is almost as bad as Dan's and had them at 10+ wins in his first season. Kyle takes over a team with 2-14 record and an ugly FO situation and gets the team to the SB in year 3. Zac Taylor took over a done Bengals team and now has them in the SB in year 3 (Zac is the only one with the major success that seems to have only done so with his franchise guy). In 2013, the Walrus took over a 2-14 KC and won 11 games. Since then they have had no losing seasons. You have to go back to Schottenhiemer to find a KC winning season streak that long (1989 to 1997). In our own history, 1981 Gibbs took over a 6-10 team and, even with an 0-5 start, was in the playoff hunt until the lost to Buffalo. In 1971, Allen took over a team that had only three winning seasons in a 20 year span and despite injuries took that team to the playoffs.

It is interesting that Pete Caroll's first two years with the Seahawks is similar to Rivera's history here.

• Like 1