Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

You guys leave Rudy, I mean Sean Astin, I mean JJ McCarthy, alone! He's just doin' his smiley best. 

In other sort-of news: Vikings doing their part to chum the draft trade waters:

Also, fyi fwiw: 

I coulddddd watch Drake Maye's pro day at 3pm on Thursday. However I will be watching my Baltimore Orioles take on the Angels at Camden Yards! Opening Day! Let's go Os!!!

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I coulddddd watch Drake Maye's pro day at 3pm on Thursday. However I will be watching my Baltimore Orioles take on the Angels at Camden Yards! Opening Day! Let's go Os!!!

I don't really pay all that much attention to pro days in general. Super practiced and scripted, etc. But Daniels will be interesting because he didn't weigh in or run at the combine. I'm also curious what Maye's 40 time will be. I'd guess between 4.6-4.7 or so. He's got around the same speed as Allen and Herbert and they were in that range.

Could also be interesting to see if Maye has been working on his footwork in the offseason.

• Like 1

If he weighs well, he won’t run. No way we get both. If I’m wrong I’ll eat crow, big time. But I’ve been saying since he skipped measuring at the combine that there’s no way he can get the weight he wants and the 40 he wants, and there’s less questions about his athleticism than his body, so he’ll try to weigh heavier and won’t do any speed/agility drills. That’s my prediction. Unless he couldn’t get his weight up, then he’ll run like the wind because that’ll be his best bet. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Conn said:

If he weighs well, he won’t run. No way we get both. If I’m wrong I’ll eat crow, big time. But I’ve been saying since he skipped measuring at the combine that there’s no way he can get the weight he wants and the 40 he wants, and there’s less questions about his athleticism than his body, so he’ll try to weigh heavier and won’t do any speed/agility drills. That’s my prediction. Unless he couldn’t get his weight up, then he’ll run like the wind because that’ll be his best bet. 

My guess is he'll weigh 209.  He'll try and ride that line of still being fast while getting weight up a bit.

For media most will be satisfied, but for people paying attention it'll be concerning, bc he's had like 3 months to get his weight up, and if 209 is all he could manage it really calls into question if his frame is maxed out.

But this is me speculating.  But it's agent malpractice if they let him show up at anything less than like 208.

Edited by DogofWar1

26 minutes ago, Conn said:

He has to run. His speed is his game. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But his weight is one of the biggest concerns. Everyone knows he's athletic and fast. I'm curious what sort of 40 time could potentially "damage" his stock vs what sort of weight would. I'd imagine anything under 205 would be very concerning and anything over 4.5 would also be concerning. Though, as we all know, "shorts speed" and "game speed" can be very different so maybe a 4.5+ 40 wouldn't be as big of a concern because there's plenty of tape of how well he can run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nah, these guys that we know are fast don’t always need to run, because the questions about them are not their speed—it’s either their passing or their physique. We know they’re fast. Lamar Jackson never ran a 40, not even at his pro day. Everyone knew he was 4.3/4.4 fast 

He doesn’t need to prove he’s fast. If his weight is disappointing, he probably will try to blaze a fast 40 to give another angle to the day though. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t he clocked somewhere around 21 mph on his 85 yd run against Florida? For reference, the fastest nfl player was DK or Reek a hair over 22 mph last season.

He's plenty fast and doesn’t need the 40 to prove it.

• Like 1

Running the 40 is like throwing at the combine for somebody in JDs position.

What does he have to gain? Nothing. Everybody knows he's fast. He's not opening any new eyes in that department.

Whats would it cost? Weeks of tearing your body apart to do well on a test you'll never have to take again.

We all hope he runs one, cuz fun numbers and data, but whether it happens, I'm skeptical.

For QBs who don't have unquestioned speed its a lil different. You can absolutely give your stock a bump w/ a good performance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Running the 40 is like throwing at the combine for somebody in JDs position.

What does he have to gain? Nothing. Everybody knows he's fast. He's not opening any new eyes in that department.

Whats would it cost? Weeks of tearing your body apart to do well on a test you'll never have to take again.

We all hope he runs one, cuz fun numbers and data, but whether it happens, I'm skeptical.

For QBs who don't have unquestioned speed its a lil different. You can absolutely give your stock a bump w/ a good performance.

It depends on whether he's somehow managed to pack on weight. (Most) coaches and GMs aren't stupid. They'll know that if he jammed on a bunch of pounds over the last couple of months so as to not terrify scouts by being 6'4 and 190lbs then it's almost certainly had an effect on his speed and they'll probably want to know how much. Because then he's either going to have to stay at that higher weight and stay slower or go back down to his normal playing weight and be faster but a beanpole again, increasing injury risk.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Daniels doesn’t need to run. All anyone cares about is his current weight and build, plus the realistic scope over the next 12-18 months to add more. 

There's no reason to believe he'll be able to add much more. He's 23 years old, not 18. His frame is probably mostly filled out by now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There's no reason to believe he'll be able to add much more. He's 23 years old, not 18. His frame is probably mostly filled out by now. 

The key thing will be the starting point this week. Peters made a generic reference to pro days and being able to gauge the prospects better in terms of their physical stature, build etc. 

Will soon find out.

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The key thing will be the starting point this week. Peters made a generic reference to pro days and being able to gauge the prospects better in terms of their physical stature, build etc. 

Will soon find out.

That's the issue, I don't think this week will be a "starting point". If he's put on a fair amount of weight over the past couple of months, it's quite likely temporary so he can assuage concerns about his frame. But then in order to keep his speed it will then probably be lost again and he'll be back to the same playing weight. It will also partially be lost because putting on a bunch of weight that fast is going to mean a fair amount of it will be fat and not just muscle.

He's got a super thin frame. There's just probably not much more muscle he's going to be adding and scouts/GM/coaches are going to need to assume that his playing weight is probably going to be around what it was at LSU. The idea of him putting on another 15-20lbs of muscle is just silly and not going to happen.

• Like 1

His ass better be 215 or he screwed up.

This is like in school when you KNOW there will be a project due wayyyy in the future.

You know of the project, you know what you have to do.  You know it's coming and have had months to prepare for it.

If he's still somewhat underweight now, having had 3 months to get himself situated for this specific day, then that ought to raise eyebrows, the same way a project clearly thrown together at the last second in school should.

• Like 2

JJ McCarthy, for example, passed the test.  He showed up at the combine 219, versus 202 on the Michigan website, and then while he didn't run, he at least did a bunch of drills to show the extra 20 pounds didn't negatively impact him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

JJ McCarthy, for example, passed the test.  He showed up at the combine 219, versus 202 on the Michigan website, and then while he didn't run, he at least did a bunch of drills to show the extra 20 pounds didn't negatively impact him.

Also remember that McCarthy is 2 full years younger than Daniels so his frame has likely still been filling in a bit as a 20 year old vs Daniels. He also overall has a bigger frame to add weight. I'd also not be surprised if he was closer to 210 when playing at Michigan this season.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

I think @Conn may be right and he either runs or weighs, but not both. However, I hope he does both so we get the most useful data.

Challenge to the forum:

Post your official guess on the results  of today's pro day for 3 potential scenarios, listed below.

Winner gets bragging rights and is crowned "King of ExtremeSkins" (for the day), with all rights, responsibilities and duties the position deserves.

My Guess:

Scenario 1

Assuming that Jayden weighs AND runs the 40.

Weight: 211.7 lbs

40 time: 4.56

Scenario 2:

If he only weighs but doesn't run I'm guessing...

Weight: 222.2 lbs (all of it located in his proud new jiggling beer belly)

Scenario 3:

If he only runs but doesn't  weigh I'm saying...

40 time: 4.33 (And the great debate continues!)

We don't need to see Jayden run a 40.  And wether he runs a 40 is more about how he trained for the drill than his weight IMO.  If he really trained for it and got good times during training and his legs feel good, then maybe he runs it.  But all of that would have been a waste of time for him IMO.  He just needs to throw and throw well.  I want to see video of the ball exploding out of his hand.