Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On Washington weapons “they got some dogs over there”. 

“I want to go wherever my name is called.”

He obviously has love for AP (the other one in LV), but he has love for the ASU coaches when he left for LSU. 

He’s definitely not as polished as others, but I think he’s going to be the pick. 

I’d be happy with any GMAP QB pick, but with all of the smoke, I think it’s going to be JD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tay said:

On Washington weapons “they got some dogs over there”. 

“I want to go wherever my name is called.”

He obviously has love for AP (the other one in LV), but he has love for the ASU coaches when he left for LSU. 

He’s definitely not as polished as others, but I think he’s going to be the pick. 

I’d be happy with any GMAP QB pick, but with all of the smoke, I think it’s going to be JD. 

He's not a natural speaker, it was the same with his post pro day presser.

And there is no smoke. Nobody from our FO has talked about it. It's just random people guessing.

And if any (or all) of this **** is true...the agent thing, him being peeved about the Top Golf stuff, the Heisman suit, him only being about his own personal glory this season...then I don't want him anywhere near this team. And I'd be shocked if GMAP and DQ do either.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of said:

Most important thing I took from the jackets was that Penix looked like a football player and Daniels suit chest was definitely concave in nature. Very concerning. 

He's a real thin dude. 

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

For sure that it does not "favor" McCarthy in of itself. My point in comparing the HC search is this:

Peters said all along they valued the "leader of men" thing and they ended up picking the (apparently) best leader over some guys w/ X's-and-O's wizardry.  They clearly didn't care too much about the whole structural "picking an offensive guy so your OC doesn't get poached" thing, either. They wanted the best leader and picked him.

They've now said repeatedly about QB that they want the best leader, among wanting a great processor and mobile player. And we have a prospect who it seems is a cut above the others in terms of leadership, all while acing the white board quiz and being plenty mobile & athletic himself. To that end, I am reading tea leaves and think we might see a similar outcome in them picking the guy who matches what they've been vocalizing but who isn't a sexy pick in media.

I think they'll give weight to leadership over the traits of a Maye or structural dual-threat ability of a Daniels because that's what they've communicated as being foremostly important to them.

Maybe.  If they see everything else being close to equal, leadership-personalty tips the balance.

I think its different than a coach.  For a coach i get the point that its the most important thing.   A HC needs to lead, and they can hire others for the X's and O's.  For a QB ability IMO trumps leadership.  Colt McCoy for example is a great leader so is Heinicke but they aren't great QBs.

But if they see it as close, no doubt that can tip it McCarthy's way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

It just started...

Yeah it was funny, I follow Chad on twitter two things about him seeped into the interview

A. Chad's love of junk food.

B.  Chad's love of Terry and Dotson.

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

And there is no smoke. Nobody from our FO has talked about it. It's just random people guessing.

Playing the same game that people do with Keim, OK so you don't know for sure who they are taking so give it your best guess.  What's your guess, then?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

He's not a natural speaker, it was the same with his post pro day presser.

And if any (or all) of this **** is true...the agent thing, him being peeved about the Top Golf stuff, the Heisman suit, him only being about his own personal glory this season...then I don't want him anywhere near this team. And I'd be shocked if GMAP and DQ do either.

No smoke that JD is the pick? I mean he very well may not be but to say there’s no smoke makes me feel like I need to go back the last 100 pages of this thread and make sure my memory is still in tact.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Playing the same game that people do with Keim, OK so you don't know for sure who they are taking so give it your best guess.  What's your guess, then?

I have no clue. The difference between me and sports writers is that it doesn't impact me negatively if I just admit that I don't know because I don't have any contacts in the Commanders FO who talk to me.

But sports writers don't make money off of "I don't know", so they have to either 1) lie and say they have inside info (most don't fall under this umbrella) 2) say they have "info from other sources" which basically just means they've talked to some random people from other teams and asked what they think the Commanders will/should do while trying to tap dance around not having to admit that they've gotten zero info from anyone in the Commanders org (most common but also the most prone to being used as a manipulation tactic by other teams) or 3) just give their own opinion and claim they've "heard" it elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

No smoke that JD is the pick? I mean he very well may not be but to say there’s no smoke makes me feel like I need to go back the last 100 pages of this thread and make sure my memory is still in tact.

There is absolutely zero smoke from anyone who has talked to someone inside the Commanders organization. Because nobody in our org is talking to anyone.

All the "smoke" is what I've just said above. People passing off their own or others' opinions as "smoke" while trying to avoid admitting that they haven't actually talked to anyone in the Commanders FO

But when pressed most of them will eventually admit it..

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

You can really get a feel for the magic of JJ McCarthy when you watch the cut ups of just his runs and throws.  The magic is that the Michigan score keeps going up and the other team's score doesn't change at all, all while JJ makes zero plays.

JFC the lengths people will go to in order to pretend like Drake Maye isn't the obvious choice.  At least with Daniels, he had a dominant year where he carried an offense and made a ****load of plays.  He is obviously better than McCarthy.  I don't want to even say McCarthy in the top five is Mac Jones at 3 all over again, because Mac Jones carried his offense too for the one year he played.  McCarthy ran a training wheels offense where he did absolutely zero individual playmaking outside of a few runs per game, and his elite defense and run game won all of his games for him.  There is nothing in his film that suggests first rounder, much less top five pick.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I have no clue. The difference between me and sports writers is that it doesn't impact me negatively if I just admit that I don't know because I don't have any contacts in the Commanders FO who talk to me.

But sports writers don't make money off of "I don't know", so they have to either 1) lie and say they have inside info (most don't fall under this umbrella) 2) say they have "info from other sources" which basically just means they've talked to some random people from other teams and asked what they think the Commanders will/should do while trying to tap dance around not having to admit that they've gotten zero info from anyone in the Commanders org (most common but also the most prone to being used as a manipulation tactic by other teams) or 3) just give their own opinion and claim they've "heard" it elsewhere.

GMs almost never talk so it's 2nd hand information typically, not just this time.  Though Ron would leak like a seive.

Talking about Keim specifically he explains his guess.    I gather the McCarthy over Maye in that building is something he heard, that doesn't sound like a guess at all.  But will see.

Others here have guessed who they will take.  Clue or no clue what's your gut?  If they did a contest right now, you can win some money by guessing right, what would be your shot in the dark on this?

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There is absolutely zero smoke from anyone who has talked to someone inside the Commanders organization. Because nobody in our org is talking to anyone.

All the "smoke" is what I've just said above. People passing off their own or others' opinions as "smoke" while trying to avoid admitting that they haven't actually talked to anyone in the Commanders FO.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

All the "smoke" is what I've just said above. People passing off their own or others' opinions as "smoke" while trying to avoid admitting that they haven't actually talked to anyone in the Commanders FO.

Our definition of smoke may be different but when Keim, Schefter, etc. all say he’s the likely pick, I consider that something. Doesn’t mean it’s the pick but there’s a ton of smoke he’s the higher rated player in the eyes of many.

3 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Our definition of smoke may be different but when Keim, Schefter, etc. all say he’s the likely pick, I consider that something. Doesn’t mean it’s the pick but there’s a ton of smoke he’s the higher rated player in the eyes of many.

Smoke = Information from someone inside the organization in question

Anything else is just opinion from people completely uninvolved in the Commander's decision making process.

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Wow, I had no idea so many people read my posts!

Not the biggest boy in that frame.   It gets lost a bit in discussion because he bulked up for the combine and looked good. And, he doesn't risk his body the same way as Daniels or even Maye for that matter.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2023/3/16/23643627/michigan-football-jj-mccarthy-2023-spring-ball-preview-jim-harbaugh

McCarthy played at under 200 pounds the first two years of his Michigan career, but that will be changing this year.

McCarthy told the media on Thursday afternoon that he’s gained weight this offseason with the help of strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert and others.

“I was playing at like 193 last year, now I’m around 207, 205,” McCarthy said. “Fluctuating in that range. Herb definitely did a good job and some outside influences for sure.”

Combined with his surprising measurables, McCarthy could potentially be a top-10 pick. One of the most surprising measurements was McCarthy's weight, as he weighed in at just over 6'2″ and 219 pounds – a significant increase from his college weight of 202 pounds, adding some much-needed bulk to his frame.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only actual "smoke" has been this:

Spielman was there to help hire the GM. I am sure that he knows at least who Peters preferred several months ago, after CFB was done for the year.

He said he believes that Peters is going to select Maye. Did that change? Possibly but I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Saying the Heisman was his goal is uh….honest lol. 

lol yeah it's sort of like if you asked an NFL QB what his goal for the year is and he said "Put up big stats so I can make the pro bowl and get a fat bonus check for it"

• Like 1

What the Commanders could be getting with a new QB

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jayden Daniels (LSU) knows he's entering the draft, not free agency, which is why he is ready to accept wherever he is selected and attempt to become the face of that franchise. While Daniels would have liked more face time with Commanders officials during his visit last week -- which included three of the other top quarterbacks in the class -- the signs continue to point to Washington taking him at No. 2.

The Commanders have been highly impressed with Daniels' abilities, and they are not alone. One NFL head coach whose team is not in the quarterback market said he would take Daniels over Caleb Williams (USC), who is expected to be drafted No. 1 by the Bears. "It's a no-brainer to me," the coach said. "Jayden looks like the best guy in this draft."

Another head coach compared Daniels to Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson: "If you pick Daniels, you're getting Lamar 2.0, but he's further along as a passer than Lamar was when he came out," the coach said.

Washington still is going through its process, but Daniels is the favorite to be its pick. He will become the fourth LSU quarterback to be selected in Round 1, after Joe Burrow (No. 1 in 2020) JaMarcus Russell (No. 1 in 2007) and Bert Jones (No. 2 in 1973).

• Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Saying the Heisman was his goal is uh….honest lol. 

It doesn’t really bother me to much, if he would’ve said SEC championship or national championship, he would’ve been a failure. He had to say something that he actually accomplished, so he went with the Heisman. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What the Commanders could be getting with a new QB

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jayden Daniels (LSU) knows he's entering the draft, not free agency, which is why he is ready to accept wherever he is selected and attempt to become the face of that franchise. While Daniels would have liked more face time with Commanders officials during his visit last week -- which included three of the other top quarterbacks in the class -- the signs continue to point to Washington taking him at No. 2.

The Commanders have been highly impressed with Daniels' abilities, and they are not alone. One NFL head coach whose team is not in the quarterback market said he would take Daniels over Caleb Williams (USC), who is expected to be drafted No. 1 by the Bears. "It's a no-brainer to me," the coach said. "Jayden looks like the best guy in this draft."

Another head coach compared Daniels to Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson: "If you pick Daniels, you're getting Lamar 2.0, but he's further along as a passer than Lamar was when he came out," the coach said.

Washington still is going through its process, but Daniels is the favorite to be its pick. He will become the fourth LSU quarterback to be selected in Round 1, after Joe Burrow (No. 1 in 2020) JaMarcus Russell (No. 1 in 2007) and Bert Jones (No. 2 in 1973).

This is the stuff I'm talking about.

"The signs continue to point to Washington taking him at No. 2."

Followed by quotes from people who have absolutely nothing to do with, and no information on, the process.

It's a complete bait and switch. And they know it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is such a weird argument. Daniels is going to be older this season than Lamar was when he won his first MVP. Daniels has started 55 games in college. It would be a tragedy if he was behind Lamar in that regard.

Besides that, I am curious if we will get some clarity before the draft or if this will come down to draft day (maybe even the pick). GMAP said that he expects to have some clarity at the beginning of this week, so maybe we'll get a clearer picture. I am just glad the NFL draft is finally here. This has been somewhat exhausting the last couple of days/weeks. because everyone has been so invested in this process. It feels like such a monumental decision on Thursday. Whoever they pick, they need to get this right.

I am a bit anxious. Being a Washington fan has taught you to expect the team to be wrong. I am pretty firm in the draft Maye camp and haven't really warmed up to Daniels so I hope they pick Maye but at the end of the day I know that drafting QBs is a lottery. So if they pick Daniels, I will obviously get behind and just hope that they were right on the gamble and I was wrong. But boy I'll be glad when this is over and we can discuss something else.

I am though really looking forward towards Friday. The QB decision is done and we have a plethora of day 2 picks. Going to be great to see what GMAP can do with these assets. Hopefully I come away from this draft feeling the same way I felt after free agency (which I liked for the most part).

Happy draft week everyone!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is the stuff I'm talking about.

"The signs continue to point to Washington taking him at No. 2."

Followed by quotes from people who have absolutely nothing to do with, and no information on, the process.

It's a complete bait and switch. And they know it.

Obviously, you don't think they are taking Daniels.

So its between Maye and McCarthy for you, who do you think they will pick at #2.    You seem reluctant to spitball a guess.    Bonus points to guess it right.  😎

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I think this is such a weird argument. Daniels is going to be older this season than Lamar was when he won his first MVP. Daniels has started 55 games in college. It would be a tragedy if he was behind Lamar in that regard.

Besides that, I am curious if we will get some clarity before the draft or if this will come down to draft day (maybe even the pick). GMAP said that he expects to have some clarity at the beginning of this week, so maybe we'll get a clearer picture. I am just glad the NFL draft is finally here. This has been somewhat exhausting the last couple of days/weeks. because everyone has been so invested in this process. It feels like such a monumental decision on Thursday. Whoever they pick, they need to get this right.

I am a bit anxious. Being a Washington fan has taught you to expect the team to be wrong. I am pretty firm in the draft Maye camp and haven't really warmed up to Daniels so I hope they pick Maye but at the end of the day I know that drafting QBs is a lottery. So if they pick Daniels, I will obviously get behind and just hope that they were right on the gamble and I was wrong. But boy I'll be glad when this is over and we can discuss something else.

I am though really looking forward towards Friday. The QB decision is done and we have a plethora of day 2 picks. Going to be great to see what GMAP can do with these assets. Hopefully I come away from this draft feeling the same way I felt after free agency (which I liked for the most part).

Happy draft week everyone!

I am with you on almost all of this.  Love Maye.  I like Daniels a lot more than most here.  I am working on warming to McCarthy I've liked him for almost a full year, so it goes deeper for me than the other 2 QBs but don't love him.  but if they take him I'd learn to dig it and give it a chance.

But yeah 100% am looking forward to day 2.  The QB talk is exhausting.  I've spent more time watching both Maye and Daniels probably times 10 than any players I've ever watched for the draft.  And i am sick of it.  :ols:

I got faith in this regime.  This isn't a draft run by Dan and his clown minions.  It's a real professional operation.  That doesn't guarantee success but it increases the odds.  I got no doubt these guys have turned over every stone relating to these QBs.  It's clear based on their rhetoric and leaks that they know this decision is the be all and end all.  High stakes.

But the draft to me gets more relaxing and fun once the QB decision is made Thursday.

• Like 3

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Obviously, you don't think they are taking Daniels.

So its between Maye and McCarthy for you, who do you think they will pick at #2.    You seem reluctant to spitball a guess.    Bonus points to guess it right.  😎

My issue with this stuff is really straightforward. I don't care that they're quoting other sources, other coaches, etc. about their opinions. That's fine. It's legit journalism. What annoys me is when they, very intentionally IMO, try and misrepresent it as any sort of actual inside information. Or they do what Schefter did there and pull the old bait and switch where he says "signs continue to point to..." followed by quotes from people who have absolutely no actual information on the Commanders process.

And I have no idea if they're taking Daniels. If any/all of this smoke is true, then I'd be very surprised if he fits what GMAP and DQ want from a culture standpoint, but I assume they're doing their due diligence there as well.

And I can take a guess, but it would 100% be biased and colored by my opinion on the matter. I think Maye is the best fit, followed by McCarthy, followed by Daniels. 

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

lol yeah it's sort of like if you asked an NFL QB what his goal for the year is and he said "Put up big stats so I can make the pro bowl and get a fat bonus check for it"

I mean I heard a NFL guy once say that he had to sign a mega deal in order for the rest of the little guys behind him to get paid fair deals. And he has been one of the best in the league for a few seasons now. So, I’m not overly concerned about the mindset. These guys are different and what motivates them 🤷🏽‍♂️

I am full on shocked at the lack of awareness though. Like bruh…..play the game lol

32 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

It doesn’t really bother me to much, if he would’ve said SEC championship or national championship, he would’ve been a failure. He had to say something that he actually accomplished, so he went with the Heisman. 

Most likely. I never went into a job interview talking about stuff I failed to accomplish unless they asked me that specifically. I don’t really care either way though. He had to play pretty to to win that Trophy. That means he had to help his team.