Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Which actually suits me just fine. He’s a good passer. His running ability will absolutely affect pass rush game plans, having a spy, situation dependent man vs zone etc. and we will kill teams multiple times a game on scrambles. 

I would prefer not to have apt of designed runs. 

Also, I’ve really come around on him. If, as it seems is true, most of the coaching and scouting community has Daniels at 2, by a sizable margin, am I really confident that I’m right and they are wrong?

I can’t wait until Thursday night and then, maybe just as much so, Friday!

I rewatched the Ole Miss game yesterday and it wasn't even one of his better games.

Electric performance.  Not just the running but his passing, too. 

I don't have major concerns about him throwing at the 2nd level or off platform because when he's done so, he's decent at it.  I mentioned this last weekend, watching some of his off platform throws, some of them are insane.  His completion rate off platform is actually higher than Maye's.  His issue IMO is his mindset to take off.  He doesn't always take off.  But he does take off a lot. 

But i do think he can be coached to throw off platform because to me if feels more like a mindset issue not an ability issue.  If we actually take him, I'll go through all of his throws again and I'll isolate some of those throws off platform to showcase them.  My amatuer take on if I were coaching Daniels up is to push him to make these throws more.  He doesn't need to be taught IMO how.  His rotational accuracy looks good.  It's stop falling in love with your legs so much.   Mindset issue IMO.

My concern with him is two fold.  Injuries.  And trusting himself to throw with anticipation.  IMO the 2nd level and off platform throws will come -- I like the sample of what I saw from him on that count.  

But I think the dude is going to be a really good QB.  I have a preference for Maye.  But I'd be stoked if they took Daniels, too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@CommanderInTheRye actually on Sheehan's podcast Sheehan posed the question directly to Keim, Sheehan goes aside from Daniels he mentioned McCarthy more than Maye on his podcast so does he think its McCarthy over Maye on their draft board. Keim was going for example if they don't draft Daniels and they take McCarthy instead, he'd get it

So Sheehan asked Keim if I would tell you Daniels wasn't the pick and they took a QB at 2, would you predict that QB to be McCarthy.  Keim goes "probably yes".  And then says if their order was McCarthy over Maye it wouldn't surprise him at all.

But he also as usually couched it as he doesn't know anything for sure.

Wow, close to crunch time.  I am hoping Maye 1A and then McCarthy 1B.  Sad that Maye doesn't get the respect and love he should but that's me and again others will say the same about the QB they like.  IMO, if everyone goes back and looks at the Pro Days of JD, DM and JJ, JJ's was the best of all of them, I think.  It should be the "rule all" decision but JJ was never let loose in Harbaugh's system to throw that much.  Harbaugh had a balanced to more run attack at MI.  He ran the ball a lot and JJ didn't have the opportunities like the others to throw as much, at least it seemed that way.  I think he surprises in the NFL and plays better if a team lets him loose and allows him to throw the ball more.  Hey what do I know.   

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I rewatched the Ole Mss game yesterday and it wasn't even one of his better games.

Electric performance.  Not just the running but his passing, too. 

I don't have major concerns about him throwing at the 2nd level or off platform because when he's done so, he's decent at it.  I mentioned this last weekend, watching some of his off platform throws, some of them are insane.  His completion rate off platform is actually higher than Maye's.  His issue IMO is his mindset to take off.  He doesn't always take off.  But he does take off a lot. 

But i do think he can be coached to throw off platform because to me if feels more like a mindset issue not an ability issue.  If we actually take him, I'll go through all of his throws again and I'll isolate some of those throws to showcase them.  My amatuer take on if I were coaching Daniels is up is to make these throws more.  He doesn't need to be taught IMO how.  His rotational accuracy looks good.  It's stop falling in love with your legs so much. 

My concern with him is two fold.  Injuries.  And trusting himself to throw with anticipation.  IMO the 2nd level and off platform throws will come -- I like the sample of what I saw from on that count.  

rewatched the Ole Mss game yesterday and it wasn't even one of his better games.

I forgot the team he played, but I think there's a game where Jayden ran for something like 200 yards and threw for 300 (don't quote me, but I think I'm close).

When he's on he's  a human hilight reel and last year he was on just about every game.

17 minutes ago, illone said:

Exactly. 

I also hear a lot of talking heads suggest he would want a “kyler Murray” type QB...

why?

Kyler was injured for the final two seasons of Kingsbury’s run in AZ. Why would he want that again?

I actually think the fact that he took Kyler points to him being very flexible with who he can work with, as opposed to that being the type of QB he looks for. He was a new HC with a #1 overall pick. They had Rosen, who he probably knew sucked and didn't like.

So his first order of business was getting a new QB he could mold. It was a **** QB draft and Murray was the best of the bunch. So he took the chance and bet on his ability to mold his system to Kyler's strengths.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

I actually think the fact that he took Kyler points to him being very flexible with who he can work with, as opposed to that being the type of QB he looks for. He was a new HC with a #1 overall pick. They had Rosen, who he probably knew sucked and didn't like.

So his first order of business was getting a new QB he could mold. It was a **** QB draft and Murray was the best of the bunch. So he took the chance and bet on his ability to mold his system to Kyler's strengths.

Kyler problem is that he’s stupid and doesn’t study. None of the QBs in this draft are like that so I agree he will probably be fine with whoever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The one thing I am happy about and others may not be is that DQ got former Eagle's OC in the house.  KK is highly thought of but Brian Johnson will be instrumental on this team as the #2 behind KK.   

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Exactly right. Murray was an upgrade. End of story lol

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Llevron said:

Kyler problem is that he’s stupid and doesn’t study. None of the QBs in this draft are like that so I agree he will probably be fine with whoever.

Agreed. I'm sure KK probably has input on all of the top QBs as far as what he likes or doesn't about them. But I'd guess that if GMAP and DQ went to him and simply said "Hey could you do something with any of these three guys?" (assuming it's Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy), KK would probably say "Abso-****ing-lutely"

• Like 3

Are defenses THAT much better in the SEC than ACC? I don't watch College Football, so I wondering that the real answer is. Not sure how much that enters into the Daniels vs Maye discussion.

Just now, Kalu44 said:

Are defenses THAT much better in the SEC than ACC? I don't watch College Football, so I wondering that the real answer is. Not sure how much that enters into the Daniels vs Maye discussion.

Usually, yes. 

those tides are turning, though. 

Florida states defense may have been better than anything in the sec last year sans maybe Mizzou. 

LSU’s defense was trash. 

It’s kind of a mixed bag really but if you look at the rankings, big ten had the best defenses, followed by SEC and then probably ACC better than big 12 and pac12. 

I talk to reporters on and off in my profession.  I know things they are sometimes interested in.  I often know more about what they are asking about than they do.  They can ask me if they think so and so is going to run for this seat or that seat.  I could have spoken to that candidate directly or talked to someone am close to that they are close to.  But i'll couch my statements with probably, maybe, etc.  Because if I am dead wrong I'll look untrustworthy in the future.  Once in a blue moon your info can be off or people change their minds, etc.  Nothing is ever concrete-static.

Keim is always modest as to saying what he hears where he doesn't put a ton of conviction behind it. Not his style.  For example, they liked Quinn a lot, he is a serious candidate for the HC job -- but he doesn't know for sure how serious they ultimately are as to him landing the job.  Now was them liking Quinn BS.  Nope.   But no way to predict where it was going to go.  That's common.

Or hey I know Rivera is zeroing in on LB in this coming draft.  Can he guess for sure who exactly they end up taking.  Nope.  But he will get you in that ballpark of their thinking.  That's why I was the one dude here who guessed Jamin Davis on draft day.

My point is I take Keim at his word that he doesn't know who they are taking.  But I've never recall him just spitballing on anything.   If he has zero info on something, he will say he knows absolutely nothing and can't guess.  On this, he's clearly hearing something.  Does it mean anything?  Who knows will see.  But its not nothing.  Having said that every day the week before the draft is like an enternity so the plotline could change.  And yes of course the outcome can be the opposite.  But Keim's spitball track record isn't too bad as to it having some relevance in the end.  But like I said the narrative can change even from Keim, we got 4 more days.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Generally yes.  And the talent is better.

Last year, not as much.  I watched the Alabama vs Michigan and vs. LSU games and came away thinking the Bama defense was poorly coached and pretty static.

Not true of years gone by but true of last year.  

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

rewatched the Ole Mss game yesterday and it wasn't even one of his better games.

I forgot the team he played, but I think there's a game where Jayden ran for something like 200 yards and threw for 300 (don't quote me, but I think I'm close).

When he's on he's  a human hilight reel and last year he was on just about every game.

Gators game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RWJ said:

The one thing I am happy about and other may not be is that DQ got former Eagle's OC in the house.  KK is highly though of but Brian Johnson will be instrumental on this team as the #2 behind KK.   

Great point.

A month or so ago someone posted video where among other things a draft guru talked about Kingsburry's defense in unflattering terms.

He mentioned a few issues that he needed to adjust in this iteration of his offense:

1. Because KK likes to spread all the receivers out wide he rarely utilizes TEs for edge protection outside the tackles. Which leaves the line succeptible to stunts, dogs and blitzes and puts extreme pressure on the qb to make protection calls and/or get rid of the ball quickly. 

2. His offense is primarily shotgun, even running plays are mostly executed from the shotgun. So play action passing is nil.

3. He doesn't run the ball enough in situations where it would be beneficial.

Brian Johnson, coming off that run oriented Philly offense us a perfect counterpoint fir JJs previous tendencies.

If they really commit to a hybrid offense and KK takes input from his assistants the issues above should be solved no matter who we select Thursday night.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@CommanderInTheRye actually on Sheehan's podcast Sheehan posed the question directly to Keim, Sheehan goes aside from Daniels he mentioned McCarthy more than Maye on his podcast so does he think its McCarthy over Maye on their draft board or something like that.

Keim said for example if they don't draft Daniels and they take McCarthy instead, he'd get it so that prompted the question from Sheehan.

So Sheehan asked Keim if I would tell you Daniels wasn't the pick and they took a QB at 2, would you predict that QB to be McCarthy.  Keim goes "probably yes".  And then says if their order included McCarthy over Maye it wouldn't surprise him at all.

But he also as usually couched it as he doesn't know anything for sure.

What’s interesting here is this a reverse of position from Keim from 2-3 weeks ago. 

Which mean he must have heard something from someone to change his reporting because as recently as a week ago I think he and Bram were in agreement it was between Maye and Daniels.  

The change is notable and interesting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gators game.

Would you say that was  Jayden's best game overall, if not what game would you pick?

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Certainly sounds like Keim has heard something that makes him think it's between Daniels and McCarthy. 

We'll see.

I would be happy with either, but if I had to choose between them I'd take Jayden.

His upside is off the charts as a dual threat. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s interesting here is this a reverse of position from Keim from 2-3 weeks ago. 

Which mean he must have heard something from someone to change his reporting because as recently as a week ago I think he and Bram were in agreement it was between Maye and Daniels.  

The change is notable and interesting. 

Yep exactly.

Bram was the first to push this out of Keim by accident, he said this is between Daniels or Maye on Friday.  And Keim interjected and said don't count out McCarthy than expanded on it.  It almost came off like he was saying Daniels versus McCarthy.  Then I saw him hint on it in a fan exchange that same night.  I posted about it here.   Then his podcast sort of it in a peripheral way made the point.    Then Sheehan asked him directly and he flat out said it.

So yeah I gather this has to be from someone he knows with the team.  This isn't like the point he made in the past about hey coaches tell me that they prefer Daniels so maybe that translates to Peters thinking the same but he doesn't know.  On this 2 weeks or so ago, he started making the point that he didn't think McCarthy.  Now its a 180.  What's different?  We've heard to death before the team visits that they will value them highly.  So now that they are over, Keim thinks its Daniels or McCarthy.  I'd gather its some source.  Now that source can be wrong.  But Keim's sources are usually not bad.

My point is I can't see this being another example of other teams-coaches think its between Daniels and McCarthy.  that would make no sense and how would they know?  Plus Keim when making the point about Daniels in the past flat out said why if he had to guess he'd guess its Daniels but said why and explained its not from a team source.  He's not doing that here.  He's not saying its not a team source.

Look with this stuff, coming from a dude who prefers Maye, that's my least ideal scenario as to Daniels versus McCarthy so am not hearing what I want to hear.  What i wanted to hear is Maye versus Daniels and with a preference for Maye.

But I roll with where the information goes not where I want the information to go.  I've said this many times over the years I don't just spit back on the board information that fits what i want to happen or believe.  I'll post stuff that fits my takes.  I'll post stuff that doesn't fit my takes.  I like talking football and I am not about exclusively sharing information that fits my view of the football world.

Having said that the beauty of draft week is every day the week leading to draft day is full of rumors and rumors can shift.  

As for me, I wouldn't put a dime on any scenario right now. 

10 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Would you say that was  Jayden's best game overall, if not what game would you pick?

Gators or Miss State.   Every game of his was good aside from FSU. 

• Thanks 1

I honestly have no idea why the team is hiding their intentions. They control the draft right now. Caleb is going to Chicago. That is happening. Really no reason to keep people in suspense. Especially with Peters saying in the presser the other day that he doesnt see a situation where they would trade down. Unless they honestly have not decided yet. Which I find hard to believe with 4 days left. 

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I honestly have no idea why the team is hiding their intentions. They control the draft right now. Caleb is going to Chicago. That is happening. Really no reason to keep people in suspense. Especially with Peters saying in the presser the other day that he doesnt see a situation where they would trade down. Unless they honestly have not decided yet. Which I find hard to believe with 4 days left. 

A lot of people didn't want Quinn to be hired from this board.   Quinn i hear is aware of everything.  This thread included and our posting history. 

This is his shot at revenge at some of us (not me, clearly I was OK with the hire) by dragging this right to the bitter end -- and driving some to absolute insanity.   Keim sadly is his co-conspirator. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 7