Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The only money Russell is getting from Denver after he’s got cut is what’s guaranteed. Think that’s 35.4 million.

I don’t think Denver will trade him because no one will want to take on that contract. So they will cut him.

We stay at #2 and pick the 2nd best qb in the draft.

• Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean, the yardage for him compared to others is extremely low but he shows up well in most stats and metrics. Its just the volume is significantly lower than anyone else's

That Michigan team was so dominant that the amount of times they were actually behind (trailing the other team) was extremely low, which is kind of remarkable when you think about it.  

Does it make the sample of work less reliable?  Perhaps, since it suggests that the “pressure” on JJ in those situational passer rating situations probably was a lot lower for him than for the other QBs?… but I’m not really sure.

I do like Jayden’s numbers in this category a lot too haha - and that is a bigger sample size

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At this point, I really feel like this is a campaign engineered by the Daniels camp.  

There is a serious possibility #2 is Maye.  And I think that's going to shock a lot of people. Especially in the media who've bought the Daniels hype hook-line-and-sinker.

Now, the hype could be real.  But I'm personally not quite there yet.  This is lying season.  I think we need to see what we hear after the combine and the interviews.  That will make it a bit more interesting.

Oh, and we ABSOLUTELY need to wait to see what the Almighty Thor Nystrom has to say about the matter.  Because he's never wrong.  I am willing to bet he's going to have Daniels at either #1 or #2.  Just like he had Malik Willis as his "can't miss" QB prospect, and said he was "as sure the NFL got it wrong" when Willis was drafted in the 3rd round as he was when the league passed on Lamar, who was a first round (granted, last pick) pick.  

And yes, @Conn, I know, I let these guys live rent free in my head.  I can't help it.  I need drugs or counseling.  Or, preferably, both.  

Or maybe people are finally getting into actual film study?

QB school said he hadn't fully got into Jayden's film yet because the SEC is notoriously difficult about releasing their all 22 and he (and others apparently) just recently got their hands on additional games. Mark Bullock was asking for it for weeks because the SEC wasn't putting anything up from their conference at all. So again, a lot of these folks doing "film study" didn't even have the film. 

The only ones that has been largely available (unless you have connections) was the games against FSU, Alabama and Florida. Obviously Riddick, Kiper, Brooks Field Yates, etc had access to it but the majority did not. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion and perspective from the guy who worked with Quinn so long in ATL.  IMO, if there’s an ideal time to stash and develop at QB for at least one year (from a job security perspective), it’s with a Year 1 HC and GM.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting discussion and perspective from the guy who worked with Quinn so long in ATL.  IMO, if there’s an ideal time to stash and develop at QB for at least one year (from a job security perspective), it’s with a Year 1 HC and GM.

Sigh. Teams don't have the luxury of drafting QBs and having them sit behind Hall of Famers like Green Bay. Green Bay can afford to have QBs sit and learn because Rodgers was sitting behind Favre and Love was sitting behind Rodgers. Or even New England where Brady sat behind Bledsoe. 

There aren't many instances where a QB sat behind a bum or a meh player and became great for sitting behind them. Can anyone name some?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean, the yardage for him compared to others is extremely low but he shows up well in most stats and metrics. Its just the volume is significantly lower than anyone else's

I'm not interested in Daniels to be honest. Metrics, numbers, yardage, are just a part of the whole process. J.J. numbers are fine with me thanks for posting them.

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Sigh. Teams don't have the luxury of drafting QBs and having them sit behind Hall of Famers like Green Bay. Green Bay can afford to have QBs sit and learn because Rodgers was sitting behind Favre and Love was sitting behind Rodgers. Or even New England where Brady sat behind Bledsoe. 

There aren't many instances where a QB sat behind a bum or a meh player and became great for sitting behind them. Can anyone name some?

Difficult to show by example if what the vet QB is showing sucks.

I don't know...Kurt Warner maybe? Didn't he sit for a year behind Tony Banks?

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

You can learn a lot watching a bum. The coaches can really assist in this as well. 

The actual issue is ownership being in a rush to have success or sell tickets. It of course filters down to the coaches but if they thought they had the time to do it, I guarantee you would see it more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think GB is an anomaly, and they have been willing to potentially anger/alienate their HOF QB by taking a QB high while the starter has gas in the tank.

Both Farve and Rogers didn't like the idea of drafting their replacement. It's a gamble, and one Bill tried in NE that may have indirectly led to his demise because he wanted to move off of Brady.   As you said, I'm unsure we can do this in the first year. 

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Difficult to show by example if what the vet QB is showing sucks.

I don't know...Kurt Warner maybe? Didn't he sit for a year behind Tony Banks?

I think Banks got hurt, and Kurt lit it up when he got a chance, but I'm not sure. I think the GM and coach have to be on the same page. Do you get a pass for sucking with a vet for a year or the rook? 

9 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I think GB is an anomaly, and they have been willing to potentially anger/alienate their HOF QB by taking a QB high while the starter has gas in the tank.

Both Farve and Rogers didn't like the idea of drafting their replacement. It's a gamble, and one Bill tried in NE that may have indirectly led to his demise because he wanted to move off of Brady.   As you said, I'm unsure we can do this in the first year. 

I think Banks got hurt, and Kurt lit it up when he got a chance, but I'm not sure. I think the GM and coach have to be on the same page. Do you get a pass for sucking with a vet for a year or the rook? 

Wasn’t it our very own Trent Green who got hurt in 99 before Kurt took over? Kurt was already an older player by then after having been cut in TC and playing in the AFL and NFL Europe

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

48 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Sigh.  So easy to point to the GB “HOF QB” excuse. Here’s the “some” you asked for:

Took over in back half of Year 1:

Lamar Jackson

Eli Manning

Jalen Hurts

Jared Goff (didn’t help him as much early)

Took over in Year 2:

Patrick Mahomes

Tom Brady

Drew Brees
Carson Palmer

Michael Vick

Colin Kaepernick

Marc Bulger

Took over in Year 3:

Philip Rivers

Tony Romo

Took over in Year 4:

Aaron Rodgers

Kirk Cousins

Most of the guys above took over for “meh” players or worse. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Sigh.  So easy to point to the GB “HOF QB” excuse. Here’s the “some” you asked for:

Took over in back half of Year 1:

Eli Manning

Jalen Hurts

Jared Goff (didn’t help him as much early)

Took over in Year 2:

Patrick Mahomes

Tom Brady

Drew Brees
Carson Palmer

Michael Vick

Colin Kaepernick

Marc Bulger

Took over in Year 3:

Philip Rivers

Tony Romo

Took over in Year 4:

Aaron Rodgers

Kirk Cousins

Most of the guys above took over for “meh” players or worse. 

Ok lets look at this:

Patrick Mahomes - Alex Smith (had taken KC to multiple playoffs/NFC championship games)

Tom Brady - Drew Bledsoe

Tony Romo - Troy Aikman

Aaron Rodgers - Brett Favre

Eli Manning - Kurt Warner

Jalen Hurts - Carson Wentz (the season before Hurts was drafted Wentz took Philly to the playoffs plus he had been part of the SB season)

Phillip Rivers - Drew Brees

I'll give you Vick and maybe Palmer. That's it. Most of the list is guys who sat behind QBs who had been very successful in the NFL

Edited by ThatNFLChick

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Or maybe people are finally getting into actual film study?

QB school said he hadn't fully got into Jayden's film yet because the SEC is notoriously difficult about releasing their all 22 and he (and others apparently) just recently got their hands on additional games. Mark Bullock was asking for it for weeks because the SEC wasn't putting anything up from their conference at all. So again, a lot of these folks doing "film study" didn't even have the film. 

The only ones that has been largely available (unless you have connections) was the games against FSU, Alabama and Florida. Obviously Riddick, Kiper, Brooks Field Yates, etc had access to it but the majority did not. 

Yeah.  But few key, they’re all amateurs anyway.  

Im talking about the noise from the national guys, which then trickles to the amateurs.

This is campaign season.  Everything put out is put out by somebody for some reason.

Somebody national recently released “I’m surprised the NFL lives Maye as much as they do.”  Which was a direct response to the Daniels love. 

What’s interesting is all of these Shenanigans are mostly useless. Clubs will do what they do.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Also I am not opposed to QBs sitting. In fact I think college players who have mechanics/footwork issues or accuracy issues SHOULD sit. Very rarely do they do well if they play immediately because those issues usually don't get fixed during a season (its offseason work) and it just reinforces the bad habits or mechanics when they immediately start playing.

But unfortunately most teams are in situations like us or the Steelers or the Patriots or the Falcons. Who is a QB going to sit behind, watch and learn from? Mason Rudolph, Sam Howell, Bailey Zappe and Desmond Ridder?

Edited by ThatNFLChick

32 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ok lets look at this:

Patrick Mahomes - Alex Smith (had taken KC to multiple playoffs/NFC championship games)

Tom Brady - Drew Bledsoe

Tony Romo - Troy Aikman

Jalen Hurts - Carson Wentz (the season before Hurts was drafted Wentz took Philly to the playoffs plus he had been part of the SB season)

I'll give you Vick and maybe Palmer. That's it. Most of the list is guys who sat behind QBs who had been very successful in the NFL

Alex Smith is the definition of “meh”. Or did you not watch him the years he played here?  Andy Reid and Smith’s surrounding talent massively elevated his perceived performance… which of course Bruce Allen fell for hook, line and sinker. 

Drew Bledsoe was not a “very successful” QB.  His average passer rating was in the mid-70s. The fact that he was Brady’s predecessor props him up when it comes to revisionist history, and the fact he had Belichik at HC props up his W/L record, but it’s a joke to say he was “very successful”. 

LMAO - I’m assuming you had no idea Troy Aikman’s last year was 2000 and Tony Romo’s first pass in the NFL was 2006?

Wentz’ lone pro bowl season was 3 years behind him by the time Hurts was drafted. It was obvious Wentz wasn’t the answer and hasn’t been anything more than a “meh” QB since that injury in 2017. 

And of course you conveniently left out Brees, Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ok lets look at this:

Tom Brady - Drew Bledsoe

Tony Romo - Troy Aikman

A lot of thesse guys never in the same locker room and drafted years apart 

Edited by redskin301
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Alex Smith is the definition of “meh”. Or did you not watch him the years he played here?  Andy Reid and Smith’s surrounding talent massively elevated his perceived performance… which of course Bruce Allen fell for hook, line and sinker. 

Drew Bledsoe was not a “very successful” QB.  His average passer rating was in the mid-70s. The fact that he was Brady’s predecessor props him up when it comes to revisionist history, and the fact he had Belichik at HC props up his W/L record, but it’s a joke to say he was “very successful”. 

LMAO - I’m assuming you had no idea Troy Aikman’s last year was 2000 and Tony Romo’s first pass in the NFL was 2006?

Wentz’ lone pro bowl season was 3 years behind him by the time Hurts was drafted. It was obvious Wentz wasn’t the answer and hasn’t been anything more than a “meh” QB since that injury in 2017. 

And of course you conveniently left out Brees, Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, etc.

You didn't list Lamar Jackson so why would I comment?

Regardless of what Alex Smith did here, he was HUGELY successful in Kansas City as was Bledsoe in New England.

I had a straight up brain fart with the Cowboys so yeah, forgot who was before Romo. 

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

LMAO 

LMAO

Speaking of people getting timelines wrong. Bill wasn't head coach until 2000. Drew Bledsoe was a multiple time PB and comeback player of the year in his career and QB of a SB team before Brady or Bill. He played in an era where throwing for 4400 yards meant something. He was over 80 qbr multiple times and has 24 comebacks and 31 game winning drives. 

He was definitely not a great QB but maybe you shouldn't have dropped a bad sequence of your own before moving on to clowning someone else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Not true at all… case in point, Carolina threw Bryce Young out to the Lions den and it showed he wasn’t ready cause Frank Reich feared his job which he lost anyhow when he had Andy Dalton who probably has at least 2-3 more yrs as a starting QB left in him…heck I’d even say when he was in Chicago they should have kept him as starter before rushing Fields…I might get yelled at for saying this but RR was worried about his job here last season and 1 could argue Brissett should have been the starter over Howell… and here’s another case for you… remember me saying this, Anthony Richardson with the Colts is another case, there’s no way they were down to week 17 fighting for a playoff spot if they would have won if Richardson was the QB… Gardner Minshew played very well for them….HC are scared for their jobs and don’t want to take the chance to sit the new shining toy they just drafted…. 

Edited by Command The 414