Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

The Bears are taking a QB @#1 - it will be Williams. We are taking a QB at #2. The only question is which one - most likely by far is its Maye.

Do you have any sources that's the most likely?  Just wanted to read them, I've seen multiple reports for Daniels as well as Maye on which is QB#2.  Just interested if you have something from our front office ✌️

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Mahomes did not play very well in that game, and his offense only scored 14 points, 7 of which were a gift from a muffed punt on the 16 yard line.  They only sustained three drives in a five quarter game.  He also turned it over and took awful sacks and had a grounding penalty.  Until that final drive in OT, he didn't outplay Purdy.

Why are people acting like Mahomes was some unbeatable force of nature who put up 5 TDs last night?

Unlike Purdy, in this very game Mahomes actually led the game winning Touchdown drive. No one is going to care the offenses were bad for nearly 3 quarters. They’ll remember Mahomes driving his offense downfield and beating the better Niners team with basically the same play they beat the Eagles.

• Like 1

Latest CBS mock draft. McCarthy goes before Daniels. Glad I am not alone:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-pass-on-qb-but-4-still-go-in-top-10-cowboys-protect-dak-prescott/

NFL MOCK DRAFT
Round 1

From Carolina Panthers
Round 1 - Pick 1
team logo

team logo

player headshot
USC • JR • 6'1" / 215 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Chicago
PROSPECT RNK
2nd
POSITION RNK
1st

The most popular opinion is the Bears will trade Justin Fields and use the first pick on a QB. I believe this to be the most likely scenario, too, but I'm not as sure the pick will be Caleb Williams. Williams is a tremendous prospect capable of making throws few others can. However, many of his flaws are the same ones the Bears have failed to iron out of Justin Fields' game. Williams has shown an ability to read the entire field already, but he sometimes does so by holding onto the ball for far too long. He gets away with it a lot in college, but he'll need to make quicker decisions in the NFL.
Round 1 - Pick 2
team logo

team logo

player headshot
NORTH CAROLINA • SOPH • 6'4" / 230 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Washington
PROSPECT RNK
6th
POSITION RNK
2nd

It was awkward when Maye and Sam Howell showed up to watch the North Carolina-Duke game together, wasn't it? Anyway, I like Maye a lot. He has Justin Herbert's build with Josh Allen's aggressiveness downfield. He's also an intelligent runner when it's time to eject from the pocket. However, while he fires lasers across the field, most of North Carolina's offense is built around deep throws. Maye needs to improve accuracy and touch on some of the shorter timing routes. All that said, he and Williams are on a tier far above any other QB in this class on my board.
Round 1 - Pick 3
team logo

team logo

player headshot
OHIO STATE • JR • 6'4" / 205 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
New England
PROSPECT RNK
1st
POSITION RNK
1st

I've seen Jayden Daniels mocked here a lot, but I'm not nearly as confident he's somebody who will go this early, even with the premium on QBs. Instead, I have New England adding a receiver in Marvin Harrison, who is as polished and talented as any receiver I've seen come out of college in a long time. He has a broader route tree than most college receivers and excellent footwork. It's almost as if he was mentored by one of the greatest route-runners we've ever seen.
Round 1 - Pick 4
team logo

team logo

player headshot
PENN STATE • JR • 6'6" / 317 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Arizona
PROSPECT RNK
3rd
POSITION RNK
1st

Fashanu is not a perfect prospect. He can lose his balance and be overpowered when run-blocking. That said, I'm not drafting a left tackle for his run-blocking ability. As a pass-protector, Fashanu is a dream prospect for the position. He has some learning left to do, but Fashanu could be one of the best left tackles in the league for a decade.
Round 1 - Pick 5
team logo

team logo

player headshot
Joe Alt OT
NOTRE DAME • JR • 6'7" / 322 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
L.A. Chargers
PROSPECT RNK
5th
POSITION RNK
2nd

Jim Harbaugh wants tough, physical football teams, and that starts along the line of scrimmage. Brock Bowers or another receiver could be in play here, but I expect the first pick of the Harbaugh era to be on the offensive line. Alt isn't as polished as Fashanu, but he's huge, strong, and has great feet. The Chargers have their franchise QB, and Alt could be the franchise LT who protects his blind side.
Round 1 - Pick 6
team logo

team logo

player headshot
LSU • JR • 6'0" / 200 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
N.Y. Giants
PROSPECT RNK
10th
POSITION RNK
3rd

I don't know who the Giants QB will be a year or two from now, but whomever it is, they'll be happy to have Malik Nabers to throw to. Nabers doesn't have the route tree of Marvin Harrison or Rome Odunze, but he's lightning-fast, has excellent hands, and is just as effective on the outside as in the slot. He'd be the most dangerous offensive weapon on the Giants the moment he stepped into the building.
   Mock Trade from Tennessee Titans
Round 1 - Pick 7
team logo

team logo

player headshot
MICHIGAN • JR • 6'3" / 202 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Denver
PROSPECT RNK
32nd
POSITION RNK
5th

My lone trade has Denver jumping in front of Atlanta to get the QB it wants in Michigan's J.J. McCarthy. McCarthy didn't throw in college nearly as often as the other QBs in this class, but he's a tremendous athlete with a strong arm who can throw from multiple arm angles and gets through his progressions quickly. He's the kind of QB Sean Payton will want to lead the Broncos.
Round 1 - Pick 8
team logo

team logo

player headshot
LSU • SR • 6'4" / 210 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Atlanta
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
3rd

Daniels got my Heisman vote for good reason in 2023, but while he took significant leaps forward as a QB, there are kinks to be ironed out when he moves to the next level. He has excellent accuracy down the field, but it drops off on the shorter throws. He's also a bit too quick to take off and run, which is hard to blame him for because he's absolutely electric in the open field. However, Daniels loves nothing more than jumping into tacklers. With his frame, he needs to learn how to get out of bounds or slide. I love the mentality behind it, but that extra yard is rarely worth the risk that comes with it.

17 minutes ago, dckey said:

Do you have any sources that's the most likely?  Just wanted to read them, I've seen multiple reports for Daniels as well as Maye on which is QB#2.  Just interested if you have something from our front office ✌️

Nothing from our front office - the days of us being a leaky ship are hopefully behind us. But right now Maye is consistently being mocked to us by guys in the know like Daniel Jeremiah who listen to whats is being said around the league plus Maye is known to Kingsbury and played in a similar system to the one he runs - and right now Maye is the consensus #2 QB. 

That could change and Im not saying its 100% we are taking Maye - just that its the most likely outcome right now. A lot of the process to play out yet though, visits and interviews will be important.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, dckey said:

Cool , maybe I'm just looking at the wrong sources!!  Right now on both the CBS and NFL.com has us taking Daniels.  

I just posted the CBS draft above. Has us taking Maye after Caleb. Then has Denver trade up over Atlanta for Mccarthy. Daniels then goes 8 to Atlanta. 

I think people are taking away the wrong conclusion from the SB.

Purdy demonstrated you can with with a guy like him. They damn near almost did. It's just that you have to play consistently all throughout the game and score TDs when you have the opportunity because aliens like Mahomes can string together TDs on any given drive. A little lucky break like the punt turnover is all it takes to get them going.

You can with a SB with Purdy, but he's probably not going to get you to 6 straight Conference Championship games. That's the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

To say Mahomes didn't outplay Purdy is an interesting take.

Mahomes came up big when the moments mattered. He kept his team in the game with his legs and arm. He has made Rashee Rice a viable target.

The 49ers best touchdown pass didn't even come from Purdy.

Purdy played well. He's just not Mahomes. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

To say Mahomes didn't outplay Purdy is an interesting take.

Mahomes came up big when the moments mattered. He kept his team in the game with his legs and arm. He has made Rashee Rice a viable target.

The 49ers best touchdown pass didn't even come from Purdy.

Purdy played well. He's just not Mahomes. 

Who is saying Mahomes didn't outplay Purdy? I haven't seen anybody say that.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

If the Bears stay at #1 for Williams I can also see them looking to move up from #9 for MHJ as per this mock. 

The mock drafts are going to be more interesting & fun to speculate on after FA when we see where some of the veteran QBs land.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Who is saying Mahomes didn't outplay Purdy? I haven't seen anybody say that.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Until that final drive in OT, he didn't outplay Purdy.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

The mock drafts are going to be more interesting & fun to speculate on after FA when we see where some of the veteran QBs land.

Agree completely. And not just for the QB's. The fa edge class is really good. It will impact the top of the draft as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think a simple thought experiment is this: if you ignored salary caps and swapped Mahomes and Purdy, how would the game have gone?

IMO it would've been a 9ers blowout. Not even close (no offense to Spags, Chris Jones and McDuffie). 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Redd said:

Unlike Purdy, in this very game Mahomes actually led the game winning Touchdown drive. No one is going to care the offenses were bad for nearly 3 quarters. They’ll remember Mahomes driving his offense downfield and beating the better Niners team with basically the same play they beat the Eagles.

I understand that narratives like that take form.  That's my point.  People vastly oversimplify football because the game is complicated and they find it difficult to talk about football with a lot of nuance.  It doesn't make them right.  And what we're doing in this thread is discussing the game in the context of team building, and for this discussion to be worthwhile, it does requires a more accurate and detailed view that involves complexity and nuance.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I understand that narratives like that take form.  That's my point.  People vastly oversimplify football because the game is complicated and they find it difficult to talk about football with a lot of nuance.  It doesn't make them right.  And what we're doing in this thread is discussing the game in the context of team building, and for this discussion to be worthwhile, it does requires a more accurate and detailed view that involves complexity and nuance.

That Niners team is stacked with offensive talent. Literally had people open in the end zone but couldn’t seal the deal. Thanks  to a defense that carried them all season.

Chiefs offense adapted all year. It’s not like the Chiefs were putting up an insurmountable lead. They just have a player that gives them the best chance to snatch a victory with Travis Kelce and a squad of receivers that are 2s and 3s at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redd said:

That Niners team is stacked with offensive talent. Literally had people open in the end zone but couldn’t seal the deal. Thanks  to a defense that carried them all season.

Chiefs offense adapted all year. It’s not like the Chiefs were putting up an insurmountable lead. They just have a player that gives them the best chance to snatch a victory with Travis Kelce and a squad of receivers that are 2s and 3s at best.

And this is all the nuance required here. When push came to shove, Mahomes put the Chiefs on his back and got them in position.

Their defense and Spags deserve credit, too. Football IS a team sport. But the major difference between the two teams was Patrick Mahomes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And this is all the nuance required here. When push came to shove, Mahomes put the Chiefs on his back and got them in position.

Their defense and Spags deserve credit, too. Football IS a team sport. But the major difference between the two teams was Patrick Mahomes. 

No it isn't.  Not if you want to actually understand how the Chiefs built what they have and do what they do.  It wasn't just draft Patrick Mahomes and then a bunch of magical **** happens and Super Bowls come out.

Of course Mahomes is better than Purdy.  Their OL and secondary are also far better than SF's, their TE is better, and their coaches are better.  Stack those rosters against each other, and Kansas City is better at like 12 of the 22 starting spots.  Last night was absolutely not a case of Patrick Mahomes single handedly carrying a weak team on his back to a win over a far better opponent.

• Like 3

Just now, Going Commando said:

No it isn't.  Not if you want to actually understand how the Chiefs built what they have and do what they do.  It wasn't just draft Patrick Mahomes and then a bunch of magical **** happens and Super Bowls come out.

Of course Mahomes is better than Purdy.  Their OL and secondary are also far better than SF's, their TE is better, and their coaches are better.  Stack those rosters against each other, and Kansas City is better at like 12 of the 22 starting spots.  Last night was absolutely not a case of Patrick Mahomes single handedly carrying a weak team on his back to a win over a far better opponent.

No one has said Mahomes carried a weak team. Where is that even coming from?

Mahomes did, though, come up big in the biggest moments the way a superstar quarterback should. And when it mattered there was no stopping him.

@NOLA2DC I see you keep laughing at posts that are pointing out, factually, that the SEC only had 3 teams in the top 30 defenses in college football last season, compared to 6 for the ACC and 6 for the Big 10.

What is funny about those specific numbers?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

@NOLA2DC I see you keep laughing at posts that are pointing out, factually, that the SEC only had 3 teams in the top 30 defenses in college football last season, compared to 6 for the ACC and 6 for the Big 10.

What is funny about those specific numbers?

And that doesn't include Notre Dame, who played an ACC schedule.  They were a top five defense this year.  Nobody else can touch the B1G defenses this season, but the ACC had the second best defenses as a group.

• Like 2