Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions on the radio broadcast

hail2skins

I habitually watch the games on TV and thus the network announcers, so never have really heard the radio broadcasts. However, I was out at lunch when the game started and listened to a good chunk of the second quarter on my way home. To me, Bram, Julie, and D Hall were terrible. Anyone else feel that way, or am I being too harsh?

16 minutes ago, Csup said:

I haven’t listened to them but I’m not objective on this subject anyway.   I never listened to the radio broadcast after Synder got rid of Frank Herzog.

I never really listened to Larry either, and of course his homeristic act on Redskins Nation wore thin. But I can't imagine him being the train wreck I was hearing today.

• Like 1

Following this thread because I'm thinking of bringing my little pocket radio with me to FedEx next week but the reviews don't sound good so far. 

To think we had an all-time great in Frank Herzog and while, it's my understanding, he was not as sharp toward the end of his run, this organization did him all kinds of dirty.

It's really bad imo. Bram does this screaming thing that really gets on my nerves. Julie is OK, but really nothing special. D-Hall comes off like an imbecile most of the time. I miss Cooley a lot. He would've been great with Frank. I even miss Doc, even though his war analogies got really old. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the three of them are just terrible together. I really don't have anything positive to say about either of them as I just don't think it's a natural fit for them.  I'm not sure who put the team together, but I'd love to see it revamped again. I'm sure they are each respectable individuals, but this simply isn't their calling IMO. 

Maybe this is just how football on the radio is, but I always found Larry and now Bram absolutely horrible at actually explaining what is happening and where on the field is happening. You know, the most basic part of the broadcast. At times it takes Bram 30 seconds after the play to say where on the field the ball is now.

Its definitely mediocre. Bram isn't that much better than Larry Michael TBH but at least he's not a creep so that's good. D Hall is pretty bad, he just isn't a polished speaker and is hard to listen to. Julie is...meh, doesn't really offer much except random stuff.

I'd aggressively pursue a real play by play guy and bring Cooley back to do color.

• Like 1

I mean it's a radio broadcast. If they were good they wouldn't be on the radio. Bram is fine. Julie is just sorta there. DHall is the real problem. As another poster said he's not the best communicator. His analysis is pedestrian and he seems disinterested at times. Logan Paulsen would be a good replacement.

Edited by lavar1156

the formula for a good radio game call is tough. Before the last group broke up, it was pretty terrible. 3 in the booth and an open mic for Walker on the sideline. 

Hall is rough from what I've heard. With a lot of former athletes, I wish they'd put more into broadcast training. Maybe they did and it's not sticking. This past offseason it sounds like he wasn't practicing. 

Logan Paulson is really good when doing radio interviews. I bet he'd be better.

The Cooley situation is weird. When the stuff about Larry and the ****ty stuff going on in-house was brought to light, Cooley kind of vanished from most of this area. He moved away. I think he only does Sheehan's show. 

14 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

I mean it's a radio broadcast. If they were good they wouldn't be on the radio. Bram is fine. Julie is just sorta there. DHall is the real problem. As another poster said he's not the best communicator. His analysis is pedestrian and he seems disinterested at times. Logan Paulsen would be a good replacement.

See, I dunno about this. Radio is a different medium but some of the best play-by-play folks in the business are on radio at least part time. Kevin Harlan and Kurt Warner are, by far, better than the Monday Night Football crews ESPN has offered since Tirico left for NBC. And I hate to admit it but living up here in Pennsylvania has really made me appreciate Merrill Reese and his ability to call games after more than 40 years.