Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

I said it last week and I’ll say it again, this D is nowhere near as bad as it seems. 

they were on the field the entire first half with recoup time amounting essentially to a few water breaks. In both games they had big stands to start the game, were put on short fields and were just dying for some momentum from the offense. Anyone who has played the sport, or pretty much any sport at all, can understand the adversity they faced was almost impossible to overcome… especially against some very good offenses.

these losses are all on the offense. If they could have controlled some clock in the first half and heaven forbid put up a non-goose egg, who knows how these games would have played out.

turner and our OL need to be addressed before anything on defense.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I said it last week and I’ll say it again, this D is nowhere near as bad as it seems. 

they were on the field the entire first half with recoup time amounting essentially to a few water breaks. In both games they had big stands to start the game, were put on short fields and were just dying for some momentum from the offense. Anyone who has played the sport, or pretty much any sport at all, can understand the adversity they faced was almost impossible to overcome… especially against some very good offenses.

these losses are all on the offense. If they could have controlled some clock in the first half and heaven forbid put up a non-goose egg, who knows how these games would have played out.

As worried as we all were about the Eagles offense, they really didn't do all that much at all until the big catch that should have been challenged and overturned, and then the turnover gave them a short field.  After that is was 0-10, and the defense was likely in a nosedive due to being on the field so much already and the Eagles offense started to wear them down and eventually the bottom fell out.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, CTskin said:

The D was legitimately bad for the Lions game. I thought they mostly played well yesterday though and I agree were hung out to dry by an awful offense.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Although watching that game yesterday sucked, I think we did learn a few things that I hope the coaches will think about.  First BSJ needs to be playing outside corner, that's it the slot experiment should be over for him. Your outside corners should be BSJ and WJ3, Fuller can play in the slot. And honestly, I would play him part time at FS as well. I know he moved there for Kansas City when he played there, and I think did well. Maybe could be his career resurgence similar to Charles Woodson?  Sweat does not need to be extended by this team, someone else can pay him all that money to do nothing, and Payne should be brought back if they are able to pay him but keep it reasonable and not the highest paid DT in the league. Why doesn't Darrick Forrest start over Bobbie McCain, idk why he is still here? And finally, Ereck Flowers is still a free agent pleaseee bring in some guards that don't get blown up every play!  

What do you all think?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Okapi p4pi said:

Although watching that game yesterday sucked, I think we did learn a few things that I hope the coaches will think about.  First BSJ needs to be playing outside corner, that's it the slot experiment should be over for him. Your outside corners should be BSJ and WJ3, Fuller can play in the slot. And honestly, I would play him part time at FS as well. I know he moved there for Kansas City when he played there, and I think did well. Maybe could be his career resurgence similar to Charles Woodson?  Sweat does not need to be extended by this team, someone else can pay him all that money to do nothing, and Payne should be brought back if they are able to pay him but keep it reasonable and not the highest paid DT in the league. Why doesn't Darrick Forrest start over Bobbie McCain, idk why he is still here? And finally, Ereck Flowers is still a free agent pleaseee bring in some guards that don't get blown up every play!  

What do you all think?

Agree with all except I don't think Forrest is a FS. McCain isn't a star but he's serviceable and I don't think he's the problem on defense.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Okapi p4pi said:

What do you all think?

Fuller wasn't very good the first half of last year and then was one of the best corner in the league in the second half. Maybe he is just a slow starter. I'd be a bit more patient with him. WJ3 can go to the bench. I would love to see BSJ on Lamb, who will probably line up both inside and outside.

Forrest is more a box safety than a free. It'd be Butler who would replace McCain. A poster on this board said that Flowers is way overweight currently - don't know if that is true or not

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Benching WJ3 would be foolish. No he isn't good but if you bench him that means that Wildgoose dude is the nickel CB and he's not an NFL caliber player. You can't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Wildgoose is a young player who hasn’t had much in game action. On one of those PIs his coverage was good and he unnecessarily initiated contact. That’s a confidence thing

• Like 1

A big "what will JDR do" moment will happen when WJ3 is healthy again. I am not even sure the extent of his injury, is he day to day?  The level of difference between him and BSJ out there was immense.  If JDR just puts him right back where he was and puts BSJ back in the slot, then it will be pretty telling.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

A big "what will JDR do" moment will happen when WJ3 is healthy again. I am not even sure the extent of his injury, is he day to day?  The level of difference between him and BSJ out there was immense.  If JDR just puts him right back where he was and puts BSJ back in the slot, then it will be pretty telling.   

Yeah if JDR did that then I'd fully be on board the "Fire Del Rio" bandwagon because that's straight up bad coaching.

They really should be putting Fuller in the slot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Agree with all except I don't think Forrest is a FS. McCain isn't a star but he's serviceable and I don't think he's the problem on defense.

McCain is vanilla. Vanilla is killing us.

Put Kam at Buffalo, put Forrest at SS and put Butler or Reaves at FS.

Reaves looked fantastic at the end of the season with Curl in 20.

Heck try putting Butler at the slot, he cant look worse than WTF3 or Kendra Fuller.

Do SOMETHING. 

53 minutes ago, Jbird7 said:

Heck try putting Butler at the slot, he cant look worse than WTF3 or Kendra Fuller.

Do SOMETHING. 

You could put McCain at slot if Butler starts to look better. He has played it before in his career

1 hour ago, Jbird7 said:

Heck try putting Butler at the slot

Do SOMETHING. 

This would all require JDR to use his eyes and do some actual innovations with the defense so this is never going to happen under him.

Wasn't there a stat somewhere already for this season that shows the D-line starters are playing a lot more snaps per game than a season ago?  That would indicate depth issues, as-in the dropoff in quality when the backups comes in is too great an amount. Also why the defense seems to fade a lot quicker. What frustrates me is how is this something the coaches didn't see as the good depth was signing elsewhere.  There didn't seem to be much effort to bring in adequate replacements.

I am really starting to wonder if the Wentz contract hampered the ability to sign quality backups and maybe this was something that was discussed and understood behind closed doors during the offseason, but publicly they keep shying away from this issue.   Maybe the figured the trade off was worth it for 2022 as they are using the season to figure out if Wentz is worth keeping around.

Edited by NoCalMike