Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

This defense is so frustrating. We never seem to fly to the ball. Never seem to gang tackle anyone. Never seem to get batted balls from the dline, by simply raising their arms when they can't get to the qb. We never seem to rip at the ball, as the ball carrier falls to the ground ( after the tackle is all but guaranteed ) Our secondary seems to go for pass deflections when an int is possible. I just can't stand the complacency. Even if our D is below average with talent, speed, etc, so be it. Too late to change that during the season. However if you go all out to force turnovers, it would help our defense and offense. It would massively increase our odds of winning ballgames.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 6

On 9/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, Zim489 said:

The way Ron and Co attacked the LB position is one of the most perplexing Roster decisions I have seen in a long time. Everyone and their mother saw LB as an issue. Regardless of their view on the position of LB in modern football (which they are wrong about) I dont know how you dont throw any assets at it. There was 3-4 LB options staring them in the face with their second pick to just take a run stuffing DT after letting a decent one walk to not even get more snaps in the place hes going to. 

Just mind numbingly bad decisions

Look at the way Forrest tosses a 6'3" 194pd receiver and makes the bone crunching hit.

He is becoming my new crush and I sure hope to see more of him and Curl on the field. Or Percy. Or make him the Buff nickle or make Curl the Buff Nickle, but KEEP FORREST ONTHE FIELD and let him teach the LB's how to hit.

• Thumb up 1

It’s obviously not all of it, but Landon Collins seems to be missed a great deal in the run defense. As a fan it can be difficult to pick up on schemes and responsibilities, but what is much more identifiable is elite traits— Landon Collins is elite in the run game. Sorely missed. 

My theory for todays NFL defense is you must completely obliterate the opposing teams run game to have any chance against good to elite QBs/coordinators—To the point the opponent fear getting behind the chains when calling a run play. Washington displayed this at times last season and finished the year above average overall (#8).

The five down lineman seemed to provide positive dividends in stopping the run, but maybe the key factor/glue guy was Collins. Collins essentially was Washingtons Micah Parsons—Be instinctive, attack, and wreck 4-6 plays in a game.

Would be great to get Collins back, but at end this is a role Jamin Davis beginning to take over early in the season? Forrest would seem to be a candidate as well. 

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Apparently Smoot was on with Grant and Danny yesterday and he had his opinion of how to fix the Defense or at least what Gregg Williams used to do in their scheme.

1)  He called it +1 on the Dline which is having an extra guy on the line on every play

2)  Blitz Jamin Davis a lot

3)  Put St Juste outside and move Fuller in to the slot

#3 isnt going to work. Fuller can’t play in the slot anymore. Probably more like move St Juste outside, sit WJ3 and call up Danny Johnson to play nickel or put Wildgoose there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

It’s obviously not all of it, but Landon Collins seems to be missed a great deal in the run defense. As a fan it can be difficult to pick up on schemes and responsibilities, but what is much more identifiable is elite traits— Landon Collins is elite in the run game. Sorely missed. 

My theory for todays NFL defense is you must completely obliterate the opposing teams run game to have any chance against good to elite QBs/coordinators—To the point the opponent fear getting behind the chains when calling a run play. Washington displayed this at times last season and finished the year above average overall (#8).

The five down lineman seemed to provide positive dividends in stopping the run, but maybe the key factor/glue guy was Collins. Collins essentially was Washingtons Micah Parsons—Be instinctive, attack, and wreck 4-6 plays in a game.

Would be great to get Collins back, but at end this is a role Jamin Davis beginning to take over early in the season? Forrest would seem to be a candidate as well. 

Why is Collins still a free agent?

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

This defense is so frustrating. We never seem to fly to the ball. Never seem to gang tackle anyone. Never seem to get batted balls from the dline, by simply raising their arms when they can't get to the qb. We never seem to rip at the ball, as the ball carrier falls to the ground ( after the tackle is all but guaranteed ) Our secondary seems to go for pass deflections when an int is possible. I just can't stand the complacency. Even if our D is below average with talent, speed, etc, so be it. Too late to change that during the season. However if you go all out to force turnovers, it would help our defense and offense. It would massively increase our odds of winning ballgames.

I think this is key. I just want to see guys running towards the ball. Ron talked about it and I think it's partially because of the youth and partially because of the scared of being in a big play. But I loved seeing McCain track a guy who had a long run. Then we stopped them on 4th so it was worthwhile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Why is Collins still a free agent?

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He doesn't wanna play LB. He can't play S in today's NFL and every team knows that.

It could be that he has made over $50 M in salary/bonus and can take life at his own terms. 💰

https://overthecap.com/player/landon-collins/3881

:229:The Rook

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not sure. Some veterans wait for the right situation. Wonder if some feel they can avoid training camp, then lock in a deal early in the season. 

What do you think?

I wonder if there isn’t something about him that other teams are wary of… besides the price tag. How is he in the locker room?

Sorry but can we move on from the sign Landon Collins discussion. He played fairly well last year after being moved to the buffalo nickel position but he’s still ineffective at coverage in my opinion. 

He hasn’t had a sniff from any team throughout the offseason or the beginning of the season with all the injuries to safeties in the league. It’s not like he’s coming off an injury so don’t you think there’s a reason besides money or a bad locker room guy that no one is interested?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

Except you know Landon is targeted in coverage. All the run defense in the world doesn’t matter if you can get easy passes across the middle of the field  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I totally agree.

Just flip through the games on Sundays.  You see a ton of defenses in the league flying to the ball.  Even if some don't ultimately win against their offensive opponent, they look like they care, like they were programmed to go strong.  We have NONE of that.  The intensity is always near 0 on defense.  

Personally, I think they're fed up with Del Rio and his schemes, and fed up with Ron and his lack of personal accountability and increasing public criticism/throwing players under the bus.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Jbird7 said:

Look at the way Forrest tosses a 6'3" 194pd receiver and makes the bone crunching hit.

He is becoming my new crush and I sure hope to see more of him and Curl on the field. Or Percy. Or make him the Buff nickle or make Curl the Buff Nickle, but KEEP FORREST ONTHE FIELD and let him teach the LB's how to hit.

Forrest has easily become the best hitter on this defense in only his second year. Last year was not good but he has taken the bulls by the horn literally. That hit on Etinenne was something I haven’t seen in years from this defense. 

Cant wait to see him and Curl on the field together regardless of who plays what position. 

Since Rivera and Jack have got here, we have consistently been down early in games -- and often by 10 points or more. It makes it so hard to win.

The same mistakes keep happening. I'm not sure what Ron is waiting for. Does anyone think Jack is going to legit turn this thing around? I'm sure the D will get better on some level -- how could it not -- but there are clearly DC's out there who would do a lot more with this roster. Look at what Quinn did in Dallas one year after their D was atrocious. Yes, Parsons was good. But still. 

• Like 1

Forget about us signing Collins, I don't get how he hasn't been signed by any team by now.  Maybe he figures the longer he holds out for a contract, the more desperate a team will be due to injuries or as a weakness in their defense emerges later in the season?  He was considered one of the best at the position when he was signed here.  Maybe he is older than I realize?

On the DBs giving the WRs so much cushion at the line, looking around the NFL I can say with certainty this seems to be the norm now.  I think the difference is what happens with that cushion once the ball is snapped.  I guess the general idea is let the ball get caught in front of you and shut down the YAC potential, but that is going to very much be determined by a DB's closing speed, instincts, and reaction time.  I see it work successfully for a lot of teams, but for others, the cornerback is nowhere to be found until the WR ends up with enough yards for a 1st down or more. 

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Probably because teams see him more or better as a LB rather than as a FS. Where as Collins has said he doesn't want to be a LB but a FS instead. 

He was never a FS. He wants to be a SS still but at this point he's a LB. He's got too much of an ego to play there though.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He was never a FS. He wants to be a SS still but at this point he's a LB. He's got too much of an ego to play there though.

You are right, SS. Well one of the safety position. :)

His big ass ego is also keeping him on the couch...lol

Edited by zCommander

Ok but question: Would you not rather have Collins playing outside LB or some type of hybrid position over what we have right now?  Maybe his price tag is too big, but from what I remember, by November of last season, Collins settled into whatever role JDR found for him and was making a difference for the defense on the outside catches & runs.