Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

We are lacking talent and, quite frankly, I don't think the players are big fans of JDR. It's not necessarily his schemes, though they may not like them either. I'm not sure they like him. Now, this is all conjecture. He may be their favorite coach of all time. But based on all the events that have occurred I wouldn't poo poo that away. 

I wouldn't want to play for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Listening to Jon Allen on The Junkies.  Man, he gives a fan hope.  He takes full responsibility on everything.  Said he had no setbacks from the game and said this defense is so close.  Said a tweak here or there and that game is so different.  Said it was all business in the meetings this week and everyone knows what they need to do.  He likes the effort and if he saw a guy not giving the effort, he'd be all over them.  Said the Eagles game will be fun and that a mobile QB actually gives you more opps to hit them.  Also said Hurts is the same guy he knew from Alabama.

If anyone gets a chance to listen, you should.  It's a great interview.

Allen is one of my favorite players in the league. I wish we could have carbon copies of him all over the team.  We have precious few.  I LOVE listening to Allen: he's honest and has an absolute need to win.  When we drafted him from Alabama, I felt sorry for him because I knew he just went from one of the greatest football clubs on the planet to the worst, and he was going to see more losing in his first year alone than all his years in college.  But he re-upped with us for a ton of cash on his own accord, just like Terry did, so I don't feel bad for either one of them for what their football career has in store for them here in Washington, which will never bear anything close to championship fruit.  

BUT...there's absolutely zero new in what Allen said.  We've been hearing that crap (no matter how earnest the player(s) is/are in what they say) from both sides of the ball for 30 years and counting.  Any of these sound familiar? :

- "I know our record doesn't show it right now - and you are what your record says, but...man...we're so much better than what we've shown; we've got so much talent in that locker room."

- "When we put it all together, watch out!   We're close...so close."

- "We can be as good as we want to be; it's not anything the other team(s) did/are doing - it's us.  We're holding ourselves back"  

- "We just need to fix up the little things; it's nothing that can't be corrected - that's the encouraging part.  it's one player on this play and then a different one on the next.  We can and will clean that up."

- "We had a great week of practice where everyone was dialed-in, so that's encouraging."  (Then they typically go and crap the bed the next game.)

- "We just need to play together; we need to understand it's a 60 minute game; we have to play for four quarters.  We know what we have to do and we're going to do it."

- "Just wait 'till it all comes together:  All you haters are going to be eating crow."

- "It's us against the world, but everyone in the locker room believes, even if the press and fans don't."

Thirty freaking years of this.  Coach after coach, regime after regime.  Nothing ever truly gets fixed.  And now we're playing a division rival the looks like it's found it's way much closer to the mountain top yet again, while we don't look any better team-wide than we did three years ago, despite all the young talent we supposedly had three years ago that Ron cited help make up his mind to come here.  Just ridiculous and predictable.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 3

Just now, kingdaddy said:

The buffalo nickel defense hasn't been worth a dime...time for a shake-up for this underperforming group. A new voice and set of eyes. 

Agreed.  I love Allen.  He's a real professional.  He's not going to say anything remotely controversial.  But the fact is this: no NFL defender could possibly enjoy playing in Del Rio's passive aggressive scheme.  We NEVER dictate to the offense.  The offense dictates to us.  Always.  Watch our LBs.  All they do is read and react.  They are limited and not starter quality, but my lord, at least have someone, anyone on that D playing downhill.  More fundamentally, there is zero, zero cohesion in that unit.  I've never seen anything like it.  When we blitz, our DBs give receivers 12 yard cushions instead of jamming to give the pass rush some time to get to the QB.  JDL should be called the defensive "uncoordinator" (I'll be here all week folks ;)).  He's just a clueless moron and it shows.  Players know their talents aren't being maximized; they know the system sucks.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

When we blitz, our DBs give receivers 12 yard cushions instead of jamming to give the pass rush some time to get to the QB. 

^^this 100% triggers me so much. It makes NO sense. Watch every other team in the league, when they bring the house the CBs play tight up to buy that extra second or two to get to the QB. You either get a sack or you force a bad throw into tight coverage for a potential pick. Yeah if they pick it up you might get shredded downfield, but for F sakes we get shredded downfield anyway.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

It would be worth a L to get him the %^&# outta here.

Even with a thrashing, Ron won't let him go.  Look how long it took him to fire Mills.  Ron has been behind the 8 ball since he's been here.  Nothin's changed on that front. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Looking at that first St. Brown 50 yard gain where he's wide open in the middle.     It was clearly man coverage.   What is William Jackson doing?  

As usual he got confused and went to double team the outside guy with I believe St. Juste instead of running with St. Brown.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

As usual he got confused and went to double team the outside guy with I believe St. Juste instead of running with St. Brown.

How difficult is to communicate something like that?   I mean, seriously.   And it's been happening for years.

The only other explanation on that play is that Jackson is supposed to stay on the outside WR and BSJ is supposed to run with the crosser.   If that's the case, that's a horrible scheme.

No way would BSJ be able to stay with St. Brown on that play.  He would have had to pivot while St. Brown had a running start.   Would have been an easy completion.   Maybe a 20 yarder instead of 50, but still bad.

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

How difficult is to communicate something like that?   I mean, seriously.   And it's been happening for years.

The only other explanation on that play is that Jackson is supposed to stay on the outside WR and BSJ is supposed to run with the crosser.   If that's the case, that's a horrible scheme.

No way would BSJ be able to stay with St. Brown on that play.  He would have had to pivot while St. Brown had a running start.   Would have been an easy completion.   Maybe a 20 yarder instead of 50, but still bad.

Yeah that's WJ3 for you. Dude is the dumbest player I've ever seen wear the Burgundy and Gold.

Or maybe it is the scheme. But that's what makes this defense so bad. Its SO bad that we can't even accurately identify what the root problem is.

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Allen is one of my favorite players in the league. I wish we could have carbon copies of him all over the team.  We have precious few.  I LOVE listening to Allen: he's honest and has an absolute need to win.  When we drafted him from Alabama, I felt sorry for him because I knew he just went from one of the greatest football clubs on the planet to the worst, and he was going to see more losing in his first year alone than all his years in college.  But he re-upped with us for a ton of cash on his own accord, just like Terry did, so I don't feel bad for either one of them for what their football career has in store for them here in Washington, which will never bear anything close to championship fruit.  

BUT...there's absolutely zero new in what Allen said.  We've been hearing that crap (no matter how earnest the player(s) is/are in what they say) from both sides of the ball for 30 years and counting.  Any of these sound familiar? :

- "I know our record doesn't show it right now - and you are what your record says, but...man...we're so much better than what we've shown; we've got so much talent in that locker room."

- "When we put it all together, watch out!   We're close...so close."

- "We can be as good as we want to be; it's not anything the other team(s) did/are doing - it's us.  We're holding ourselves back"  

- "We just need to fix up the little things; it's nothing that can't be corrected - that's the encouraging part.  it's one player on this play and then a different one on the next.  We can and will clean that up."

- "We had a great week of practice where everyone was dialed-in, so that's encouraging."  (Then they typically go and crap the bed the next game.)

- "We just need to play together; we need to understand it's a 60 minute game; we have to play for four quarters.  We know what we have to do and we're going to do it."

- "Just wait 'till it all comes together:  All you haters are going to be eating crow."

- "It's us against the world, but everyone in the locker room believes, even if the press and fans don't."

Thirty freaking years of this.  Coach after coach, regime after regime.  Nothing ever truly gets fixed.  And now we're playing a division rival the looks like it's found it's way much closer to the mountain top yet again, while we don't look any better team-wide than we did three years ago, despite all the young talent we supposedly had three years ago that Ron cited help make up his mind to come here.  Just ridiculous and predictable.  

Absolutely spot on, love it, kudos and nothing but facts. I don't spend one minute of my time listening to that garbage because it makes my ears bleed. Five years and counting of ZERO player/coach interviews.....

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, ultravin said:

would it be too much to ask if Jamin Davis is used similar to how the cowboys use Parsons?  Just rush the QB?

He's not the same. Parsons was an Edge before in college. But he's also a complete freak of nature. Dude runs like a 4.3 40. If not for Covid allowing him to opt out his final year he probably would have been a top 5 pick last year.

If you have him just rush the passer as a 4-3 DE he's too small and would get blown up in the run game. And as a 4-3 OLB he has to be able to cover and play the run. If all he can do is blitz teams will pick up on that fast.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah that's WJ3 for you. Dude is the dumbest player I've ever seen wear the Burgundy and Gold.

Or maybe it is the scheme. But that's what makes this defense so bad. Its SO bad that we can't even accurately identify what the root problem is.

The jet sweep run by St. Brown might be even worse.  Jackson has no awareness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He's not the same. Parsons was an Edge before in college. But he's also a complete freak of nature. Dude runs like a 4.3 40. If not for Covid allowing him to opt out his final year he probably would have been a top 5 pick last year.

If you have him just rush the passer as a 4-3 DE he's too small and would get blown up in the run game. And as a 4-3 OLB he has to be able to cover and play the run. If all he can do is blitz teams will pick up on that fast.

Micah was a LB at PSU.

Also, instead of playing Shaka Toney 6 snaps at DE. Put him back as an OLB. Dude got the length, size and athletic ability to play the position. 

Edited by WEARE1554

44 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Not if the coaches were smart enough to disguise it and move him around. They do a piss poor job of confusing offenses. 

Not that I know much about football, but I’d like to see Del Rio use some creativity with Toney and Davis (along with our SS/BN) - mix up who rushes, covers the flat, blitzes, spies the qb, etc.  I like JSW, but like Toohill, I think he’s just an average rusher.  Toney I think offers at least a bit more flexibility with his movement ability (even if the other guys are a bit more refined and/or stronger at the point of attack).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Not that I know much about football, but I’d like to see Del Rio use some creativity with Toney and Davis (along with our SS/BN) - mix up who rushes, covers the flat, blitzes, spies the qb, etc.  I like JSW, but like Toohill, I think he’s just an average rusher.  Toney I think offers at least a bit more flexibility with his movement ability (even if the other guys are a bit more refined and/or stronger at the point of attack).

Exactly!!

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Looking at that first St. Brown 50 yard gain where he's wide open in the middle.     It was clearly man coverage.   What is William Jackson doing?  

He's been so awful. It's downright stunning to me, how a top 5 shutdown cb ( his ranking by many outlets while in Cincy )  can come here and look like absolute trash. This type of thing has happened here for 30 years. Are we just cursed or what?  😢

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Wasn’t WJ3 a PFF Hall of Famer the season prior to us bringing him on?

Correct its why we suck our scouting department’s number one source of data is PFF. We don’t bring players in based on if they fit our schemes or not, 

we treat free agency like it’s some kind of way of bringing in some flashing new toy to get some people to sit in the stadium in by $30 beers

• Like 2