Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The USFL Thread

88Comrade2000

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

PFT: Does the new USFL have the legal right to call itself the USFL?

I can't believe Fox got involved, if not knowing whether the guy has the rights to call his league the USFL.

Several of the teams have the identical name they had the last time the USFL operated - both the city and the nickname : like the New Jersey Generals. the Houston Gamblers, the Tampa Bay Bandits, and Pittsburgh Maulers. All of those were in the original USFL in the 80's.

It's not an absolute, but that kind of makes me think there's some kind of connection with the last USFL, and there's no legal conflicts.

Trivia question without looking, can anyone tell the name of the Washington franchise in the original USFL ? And who our "star" RB was, that went on to play in the NFL ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

the USFL begins play tonight.

Don’t really think it will last. When you have all the teams playing in one location; who’s going to care?

I think the XFL has a better shot; when it relaunches in 23.

Both FOX and NBC are showing a USFL game tonight here locally.

However, they are both broadcasting the same game. 🤔

At least according to my cable menu.

The XFL making a deal with the NFL Alumni Association positions it uniquely in the spring football market as a real potential long term player as a minor league. 

I’m not sure how I feel about the USFL yet. Watching this game and it’s not real intriguing… though I’m a football junkie and I watch it every chance I get. So I’ll tune in regardless. But of the two leagues I think it’s Johnson’s XFL that has staying power and that doesn’t begin until next year.

I remember watching the Defenders a few years back, they started out ok, but then it became painful to watch. As long as the XFL understands that it can't compete directly with the NFL, they should be ok. They need more teams though...

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I remember watching the Defenders a few years back, they started out ok, but then it became painful to watch. As long as the XFL understands that it can't compete directly with the NFL, they should be ok. They need more teams though...

the WFL and USFL started with a large amount of teams and ran into trouble quickly.  The AFL started with 8 teams and did all right

For the next 2 months, all the teams are going to be playing in the exact same stadium in Birmingham, Alabama. Except for Birmingham's own team, the others represent cities in name only. The stadium is almost entirely empty for the game today. With no home crowds to build up for the other 7 teams, I just don't see how the USFL can last more than a season when the only ticket revenue coming in is for the only team that claims to represent that city.